ESPN and The Mouse vs. YouTube TV

DeadArmadillo

25 minutes ago, G650 said:

Dollar per content is worse than other services, and I have been in a battle with them for over 2 years trying to cancel them.

I just updated my saved credit card with one from my Privacy account and set the spend limit to $1.  So fuck them they won't be scamming me too.  Thanks for the heads up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

43 minutes ago, Dontshootrude said:

I just updated my saved credit card with one from my Privacy account and set the spend limit to $1.  So fuck them they won't be scamming me too.  Thanks for the heads up.

No worries, happy to. It's been super frustrating.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

DIRECTV Stream as an alternative to yttv, if one is so inclined. And it has LHN. 

(formerly AT&T tv, formerly dtvnow)

Or fubo.tv, which doesn't have lhn, but has a lot more and is cheaper than Hulu and isn't owned by the mouse

I scouted some of the alternatives:
Direct TV Stream.  Closest thing to cable over the internet, lots of channels but more expensive than pretty much every other choice.
Sling TV.  Relatively cheap, no local channels though, deal breaker for me.
Hulu Live.  Decent.  50 hours only of DVR seems pretty shitty coming from YouTubeTVs unlimited.
FuboTV.  Lots of channels, sports centric.  4K content options with no upcharge.  250 hours DVR upgradeable to 1000 for a fee.
I am going to go with one of the last two.

I went with Hulu. I tried fubo the last few days and while it was fine…it didn’t have tnt or Tbs which is obviously needed for nba and March madness.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I went with Hulu. I tried fubo the last few days and while it was fine…it didn’t have tnt or Tbs which is obviously needed for nba and March madness.

That is surprising for a streaming service that claims to focus on sports.

2 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Hozz my man, it seems from a previous post you’re coming from YTTV. You know how the stuff you record plays back like an old school DVR, and you can FF thru commercials? HuluLive says, “Fuck that.” It forces commercial breaks into everything you play back.. even when it didn’t originally have a commercial break there. I have literally had a football game stop mid play and a forced 2:00 break interrupts the action. Sometimes it would not allow me to “rewind” to the beginning of the game. And the limited space sucks, too. 

Yes, it absolutely sucks GoogleYouTube is in this dick measuring contest at the moment, but it’s a big nope for me to ever consider HuluLive as an option. I’m working around the conflict with family cable logins for the ABC and ESPN apps. 

Good luck!

Yeah that would be a deal breaker for me.  Thanks for the heads up.

• Hook 'Em 1

So fuck ESPN, fuck YouTube fucking TV, to hell with those cunts at Disney. And screw those Bally shitheads, too!!! I wanna watch the Mavs and some high school championship games like a normal, gotdamn Texan.

And the tasty piece of ass morning weather girl on the Lubbock ABC affiliate looks like a younger version of my current lady friend. So I gotta have that in the background to speed up getting my rocks off when I’m lucky enough to get a morning quickie.

Shit. It’s just a few more bucks a fucking month. So I’m switching to DirectTV streaming tomorrow. I was worried that my 85 year old parents might not want to learn another system, but they’re willing to do nearly gotdamn anything to get sports back.

Fuckshit. And to hell with all you Surlyhorn motherfuckers with your condescending attitude to us guys just trying to save a few motherfucking bucks!!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Direct TV Stream.  Closest thing to cable over the internet, lots of channels but more expensive than pretty much every other choice.
Hulu Live.  Decent.  50 hours only of DVR seems pretty shitty coming from YouTubeTVs unlimited.
FuboTV.  Lots of channels, sports centric.  4K content options with no upcharge.  250 hours DVR upgradeable to 1000 for a fee.
I have Hulu+ live tv. We like it fine, live sports from nearly all sources, (no LHN) never a problem with filling up the dvr and combined with NF you'll have more things to watch than time to watch them. Having said that, it's getting spendy these days...you'll easily be paying as much or more monthly as you were for cable unless you get your internet/wifi cheap..which I dont. My total bill is around $160 per month with Hulu+, NF and the wifi to stream it all.

16 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Hozz my man, it seems from a previous post you’re coming from YTTV. You know how the stuff you record plays back like an old school DVR, and you can FF thru commercials? HuluLive says, “Fuck that.” It forces commercial breaks into everything you play back.. even when it didn’t originally have a commercial break there. I have literally had a football game stop mid play and a forced 2:00 break interrupts the action. Sometimes it would not allow me to “rewind” to the beginning of the game. And the limited space sucks, too.

I thought they have a fee you can pay to eliminate this? No? The one I just signed up for yesterday when I got the news from YTTV, is called "Hulu (No Ads) + Live TV". Or is that just paying extra for no ads on the Hulu content?

I caught up on a couple episodes of Yellowstone last night and they all forced me to watch commercials, but they were all on demand too, not DVR'd. It was that way on YTTV. I haven't had it long enough to have anything saved on my DVR. You sure you're not just talking about the on demand stuff? Which there does look to be a shit ton of. If what you're saying is true, and it applies to the stuff you DVR, then yeah...fuck. that. shit.

And the limited space thing (50 hours comes with it) has a fee you can pay to fix that to get 200 hours too. Not sure yet whether that will be a problem or not.

The ability to pay extra to eliminate ads is only available for the traditional Hulu service, not the LiveTV version. 

Yes, when you watch On Demand content from YTTV, it will require you to watch a set of commercials (the little yellow inserts in the playback bar with which we are all familiar). But if you’re a YTTV subscriber, you know if you recorded the program proactively (you clicked “+” for a season pass, so to speak) you have your version which you can watch for several days without forced ads, allowing you to FF. At some point, most shows on YTTV revert to an On Demand version with forced ad breaks, but not all.

With HuluLiveTV, since it’s a service owned by the networks, they make you watch commercials on the recordings, somehow inserting the yellow commercial tabs just about instantaneously (they likely just know how to make an On Demand version the only one available… I can’t recall if a recording is immediately available).

So, no fast forwarding, even on something you just recorded recently. That’s frustrating for someone who’s used to DVRs. 

And what was really infuriating was the insertion of forced ad blocks into live events. For example, I could record the Cowboys game and attempt to start watching it about an hour after the start: there would be little yellow tabs inserted into the broadcast, and there were times when I couldn’t rewind to the beginning. That was really frustrating.

Please give HuluLiveTV a shot and see if it works for you. I’ll never go back. We do use the regular Hulu service, always finding a Black Friday deal (it’s .99 a month this year). We have too much content available to us: YTTV, Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Paramount Plus (a freebie). All the other services offered thru the smart TVs and Roku.

My LHN workaround has always been using a family ID on a traditional cable system to use the ESPN app. That will have to now be the solution for any other ESPN content. I’ll use the ABC app for the shows we watch there (but those will be on regular Hulu, too). And we watched Home Alone last night on FX thru the ABC app just because we were in it.  Hopping around on the app isn’t as easy as having everything in the YTTV interface, so that sucks. And it doesn’t seem to allow for rewinding or pausing, so it doesn’t have DVR functionality. But at least I can see what I want to.

Hoping the conflict is resolved soon…

Edited by Vito Andolini

32 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

The ability to pay extra to eliminate ads is only available for the traditional Hulu service, not the LiveTV version. 

Yes, when you watch On Demand content from YTTV, it will require you to watch a set of commercials (the little yellow inserts in the playback bar with which we are all familiar). But if you’re a YTTV subscriber, you know if you recorded the program proactively (you clicked “+” for a season pass, so to speak) you have your version which you can watch for several days without forced ads, allowing you to FF. At some point, most shows on YTTV revert to an On Demand version with forced ad breaks, but not all.

With HuluLiveTV, since it’s a service owned by the networks, they make you watch commercials on the recordings, somehow inserting the yellow commercial tabs just about instantaneously (they likely just know how to make an On Demand version the only one available… I can’t recall if a recording is immediately available).

So, no fast forwarding, even on something you just recorded recently. That’s frustrating for someone who’s used to DVRs. 

And what was really infuriating was the insertion of forced ad blocks into live events. For example, I could record the Cowboys game and attempt to start watching it about an hour after the start: there would be little yellow tabs inserted into the broadcast, and there were times when I couldn’t rewind to the beginning. That was really frustrating.

Please give HuluLiveTV a shot and see if it works for you. I’ll never go back. We do use the regular Hulu service, always finding a Black Friday deal (it’s .99 a month this year). We have too much content available to us: YTTV, Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Paramount Plus (a freebie). All the other services offered thru the smart TVs and Roku.

My LHN workaround has always been using a family ID on a traditional cable system to use the ESPN app. That will have to now be the solution for any other ESPN content. I’ll use the ABC app for the shows we watch there (but those will be on regular Hulu, too). And we watched Home Alone last night on FX thru the ABC app just because we were in it.  Hopping around on the app isn’t as easy as having everything in the YTTV interface, so that sucks. And it doesn’t seem to allow for rewinding or pausing, so it doesn’t have DVR functionality. But at least I can see what I want to.

Hoping the conflict is resolved soon…

https://help.hulu.com/s/article/enhanced-cloud-dvr

Was that an option when you had it?  For $10/month you get 200 DVR hours instead of 50 and the ability to fast forward through ads in your recordings, at least according to that link.

If your provider's in a pissing contest with ABC (or any of the 3 major networks, PBS, Fox, and even CW, for that matter), try Puffer TV   https://puffer.stanford.edu/

Puffer is Stanford University's TV research project. This site gives you free access to San Francisco's local network affiliates. You can watch it on your mobile device or cast it to your big-screen. You do have to suffer through commercials and I'm not smart enough to figure out how you can record content (absent an old-fashioned outboard Tivo), but you can get 24-hour network/local programming, including what's at issue here--all of ABC's nationally televised football and other sports. It's not perfect, but then bad breath is better than no breath at all . . . 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Royale with cheese said:

If your provider's in a pissing contest with ABC (or any of the 3 major networks, PBS, Fox, and even CW, for that matter), try Puffer TV   https://puffer.stanford.edu/

Puffer is Stanford University's TV research project. This site gives you free access to San Francisco's local network affiliates. You can watch it on your mobile device or cast it to your big-screen. You do have to suffer through commercials and I'm not smart enough to figure out how you can record content (absent an old-fashioned outboard Tivo), but you can get 24-hour network/local programming, including what's at issue here--all of ABC's nationally televised football and other sports. It's not perfect, but then bad breath is better than no breath at all . . . 

Oh shit, I accidentally typed in Fluffer TV… you do NOT want to make the same mistake.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Hozz said:

https://help.hulu.com/s/article/enhanced-cloud-dvr

Was that an option when you had it?  For $10/month you get 200 DVR hours instead of 50 and the ability to fast forward through ads in your recordings, at least according to that link.

Yep, that appears to work. I just tested the one show I have in my DVR and could fast forward through the ads just fine. Whew!

13 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

I think there was something like that, I didn’t have it. With the 200 hour capacity, it may work out. But it seems once you are relegated to an On Demand version, the forced ads return. But that is indeed a positive. What are they charging for HuluLive these days?

Having just signed up yesterday, here's what I got...

Hulu (No Ads) + Live TV - $70.99/month

Enhanced Cloud DVR + Unlimited Screens Bundle - $14.98/month

So total of about $85/month for the top tier of everything (there were other options lower that didn't offer everything). I was right at $65/month for YTTV plus I was already paying I think about $7/month for Hulu, so increase of $13/month net total for me. Sucks but that's inevitable. Still about half what I was paying for satellite when I cut the cord about 5 years back.

And the on demand version forced ads on YTTV too, so lateral move there.

Edited by Landomatic

2 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Just wanted to say… fuck all of these fucking cunts… primarily mother fuck fucking ESPN.

I’ve loved YTTV and hate to drop it, but so be it.

I’ll go back when they finally strike a deal with the cunts in Bristol.

The one good thing about streaming is no contracts so you can jump in and out easily as needed.  That might be something the services look to change, as it puts pressure on them when these contract negotiations come up. 

YTTV is by far the best... I'm hoping they will eventually work something out but am ok with the saying enough is enough on the sports channels desire to keep raising prices $5-10 a year. All the other services if you note have price increases coming on January. I'm not paying $100 to DirecTV stream after waiting years to finally get away from them.  I'll grab a monthly deal for periodic sports until they stop or I'll quit watching until ala carte comes.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Hozz said:

Sling does get Fox but not ABC, NBC, or CBS. I use over the air antennas for those. They're like $30 on Amazon. Sling also gets LHN and allows me to reliably record everything except those 3 local channels. Since Texas rarely plays on ABC, this setup has worked pretty well.

Just dumped YTTV and did the Hulu Live + whatever whatever bundle.  This has forced the DoN family to actually understand how many different services we’re paying for, and the results are not pretty.  Going to be some teenage daughters on the warpath when they figure out the old basic Hulu subscription doesn’t work and their profiles have been wiped entirely.  Purely a business decision, ladies.  Deal.

Not a fan of the Hulu Live interface, but when you look for ESPN, it’s actually there.  Hulu ftw.

If ESPN were not a subsidiary of Disney, I could have seen them going to a sub-only option years ago.  For many customers, ESPN is the only reason they have cable.  

A streaming subscription only option would definitely change the dynamics - if such a thing were to ever exist.  Most of the cable providers are the "rails" for broadband delivery.  The prices/costs of broadband delivery are somewhat balanced by the revenue going into cable.

The back-room conversations between Disney and Google are not necessarily as important as the backroom discussions between Disney and the large broadband and cable providers.  Streaming ESPN to me over YTTV is provided by Spectrum - and I am only paying for broadband.  I suspect these guys are pressing Disney to put the screws to the major streaming providers.  Guys who "own the rails" here are the ones with the real power - for now.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, SOBMarcos said:

Its a bit more $$ than YTTV but more channels   I switched yesterday  Jury is still out 

I'm on a legacy package from way back at early adopter time. That’s crept up from $45 to $75 a month over the years but it’s the lineup plus hbo so still competitive and better than their pricing for new subs I believe. 

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I'm on a legacy package from way back at early adopter time. That’s crept up from $45 to $75 a month over the years but it’s the lineup plus hbo so still competitive and better than their pricing for new subs I believe. 

Also on a legacy plan. Subscriber since 2015. Very rarely any issues with DTV Stream (or any of its previous names) 

I really liked my YTTV.  It had everything I needed until Disney screwed it up.  I liked the unlimited recording the most as I rarely had time to watch that many games live.  Am I correct there is no recording on Hulu (I can't support Disney if possible)?  I see Sling has some recording ability.  I may use the credit from YTTV to pay for Sling.

As some stated above, the future is not going to be any better once these streaming sites end the cancel at anytime option.  We're headed there I'm certain.

It was nice while it lasted, we had a window that the networks didnt see coming and it was glorious.  For a guy who wasn't making a lot back then, an ipad.mini, plus first Gen apple TV, basic wifi and my brother's cable log in, it was great. (Also my homemade HD antenna) 

Won't be long until we back in the boat of getting bent over again. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BevoSwag said:

I really liked my YTTV.  It had everything I needed until Disney screwed it up.  I liked the unlimited recording the most as I rarely had time to watch that many games live.  Am I correct there is no recording on Hulu (I can't support Disney if possible)?  I see Sling has some recording ability.  I may use the credit from YTTV to pay for Sling.

As some stated above, the future is not going to be any better once these streaming sites end the cancel at anytime option.  We're headed there I'm certain.

You don’t have DVR functionality (recording and saving shows) on regular Hulu, but sure, HuluLiveTV has that, you just have to pay a lot extra for it. Landomatic upthread has some comments about cost.

Just dumped YTTV and did the Hulu Live + whatever whatever bundle.  This has forced the DoN family to actually understand how many different services we’re paying for, and the results are not pretty.  Going to be some teenage daughters on the warpath when they figure out the old basic Hulu subscription doesn’t work and their profiles have been wiped entirely.  Purely a business decision, ladies.  Deal.
Not a fan of the Hulu Live interface, but when you look for ESPN, it’s actually there.  Hulu ftw.
When you hit the "live tv" thing from the top of the interface..go into whatever live channel is playing and click down on your remote directional pad (I use Roku so ymmv) to get to a traditional cable style channel guide interface. There may be a way to defualt to this look, havent played with it enough to know.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Thank Christ.

I was not excited about going to Hulu or something else.  Love YTTV.  If I have to pay a few extra bucks to keep the cunts at the Mouse satisfied then so be it. Was NOT excited about the Hulu bullshit of limited recording and fucking making you watch ads on shit you recorded. That’s some BULLSHIT.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

If you use Adblock Plus, the little yellow inserts get skipped on both YouTube and YTTV On-Demand.

5 hours ago, Hozz said:

Wow that site is fucking nuts.  Unfortunately my top match is Hulu Live!

Mine was... Dish?!?!

5 hours ago, sportsbay said:

<------------- was the best until it was nuked.  I am waiting for the free streams for college only.  Sportssurge has pro but I don't care for anything pro.

No. Aside from the ads that gave your computer AIDS, the streams would often crap out, usually when something interesting was happening.

10 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

Just received an email that Disney and YTTV have settled.  The suffering is over - for now.

Yep. Came here to say it.

1 minute ago, immamac said:

This wasn’t Disney failing the negotiation it was google to be clear. 

espn is gonna get their eyeballs regardless of service. They don’t give 2 fucks about YT Tv they are more of a draw to YT TV 

And this is the truth. Alphabet was able to strong-arm NBCUniversal, because they don't have any significant sports footprint. The Mouse? Fuhgeddaboudit. They hold all the cards.

Just now, Rimbo said:

If you use Adblock Plus, the little yellow inserts get skipped on both YouTube and YTTV On-Demand.

Mine was... Dish?!?!

No. Aside from the ads that gave your computer AIDS, the streams would often crap out, usually when something interesting was happening.

Yep. Came here to say it.

And this is the truth. Alphabet was able to strong-arm NBCUniversal, because they don't have any significant sports footprint. The Mouse? Fuhgeddaboudit. They hold all the cards.

Legit YT tv is probably only profitable/survived because of ESPN/Disney

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

Legit YT tv is probably only profitable/survived because of ESPN/Disney

I mean... it survives because (1) it has a really good app/interface and (2) it's cheaper than everything else.

But yeah, I don't pay for TV to NOT get ESPN and all the mouse-owned sports stuff.