Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

Regardless of specific teams as I won't begrudge the fans of the Nazi collaborators their ecstasy with a 3rd and 4th place finish, the great thing I saw was that the ability to follow closely actually was much better this year. The two lap Leclerc/Verstappen battle was tremendous and also early insight into Verstappen's immature frustration levels. After the first pass and repass it was obvious that hanging back and waiting it out through turn 3 and making the pass in the runup to turn 4 was the correct play. But he couldn't wait. Yes we're all very impressed by your late turn 1 breaking but you just blew your shot at the lead. 

And that's why he's not as great as he could be. Still young but that's his most important improvement area as everyone knows. Sometimes it's better to be patient. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Regardless of specific teams as I won't begrudge the fans of the Nazi collaborators their ecstasy with a 3rd and 4th place finish, the great thing I saw was that the ability to follow closely actually was much better this year. The two lap Leclerc/Verstappen battle was tremendous and also early insight into Verstappen's immature frustration levels. After the first pass and repass it was obvious that hanging back and waiting it out through turn 3 and making the pass in the runup to turn 4 was the correct play. But he couldn't wait. Yes we're all very impressed by your late turn 1 breaking but you just blew your shot at the lead. 

And that's why he's not as great as he could be. Still young but that's his most important improvement area as everyone knows. Sometimes it's better to be patient. 

It really wouldn't have mattered when he passed because he couldn't stay in front of Leclerc.  His car handled much better.  He passed him back easily every time.

Edited by kevwun

FERRARI IS BACK, BITCHES!!! 

Shoutout to Chuck Leclerc for backing up what I said about him last week. He had a basically perfect weekend. If you combine all his best sectors in qualifying, his second Q3 lap was only .034 off. That’s almost impossible to achieve. Both Carlos and Max we’re about .15 off their perfect lap, which is still very good.  

He controlled the entire race, kept his composure against Max and just out-raced him. He was almost a half second faster per lap than Carlos in clean air. His restart was also great, taking advantage of Max being way too tight on the turn to keep up with him. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Obviously didn't watch Zhou's race every lap, but seemed like he had a pretty good debut. Saw some coverage of passes and he seemed like he was holding his own and like he belonged. Definitely different than the debut of Mazepin.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

FERRARI IS BACK, BITCHES!!! 

Shoutout to Chuck Leclerc for backing up what I said about him last week. He had a basically perfect weekend. If you combine all his best sectors in qualifying, his second Q3 lap was only .034 off. That’s almost impossible to achieve. Both Carlos and Max we’re about .15 off their perfect lap, which is still very good.  

He controlled the entire race, kept his composure against Max and just out-raced him. He was almost a half second faster per lap than Carlos in clean air. His restart was also great, taking advantage of Max being way too tight on the turn to keep up with him. 

Yeah, Leclerc just dominated start to finish. Even if Max passed him for a lap or two, that Ferrari was not going to lose. I kept expecting Leclerc to make a mistake or Ferrari to... well... Ferrari. Neither happened. He ran a race so good if essentially made the battle for the lead boring after the first pit stop. 

just watched the race, we were at NCAA today, and that was good fun. Not a great race by any stretch but, I think a really nice start. The close driving was nice.

That was epic for RedBull. Well done Ferrari and well done Mercedes. I'm glad the Silver Arrows are actually, SILVER.

What was the deal with Alpine and the colors?

I shall be rooting for Mick.

• Like 1

just watched the race, we were at NCAA today, and that was good fun. Not a great race by any stretch but, I think a really nice start. The close driving was nice.
That was epic for RedBull. Well done Ferrari and well done Mercedes. I'm glad the Silver Arrows are actually, SILVER.
What was the deal with Alpine and the colors?
I shall be rooting for Mick.

Alpine went pink for this race. Should be Blue for the next races.

Streamed the ESPN broadcast on YTTV through a Roku Ultra. Zero issues. 

A rather uneventful race… Until it wasn’t.  Ferrari seem legit and it stands to reason Merc and RB will fix their issues, so hopefully we’re in for three-way title races.   

Fifth for Magnusson seems a hell of a result, especially since he rejoined last week. Haas might not be total fooking wankers anymore. 

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I thought the Ferrari looked good. 

9877AFA1-1387-401F-999B-3474D9CF56EF.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Yeah—what’s the story with Haas not sucking? That’s unexpected and interesting.

Ferrari PU looks the bedt by a good margin right now and Ferrari gave them high level designers and engineers after the cost cap implementation and let them use their Maranello facilities for things like wind tunnel. That and Haas did basically no work in the 21 car so they’ve been the most all in of anyone on the new regs. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, 52-80 said:

The visor cam is such a gimmick. Picture is so shaky and blurry it almost looks like an intentional SFX. 

Just use the camera on the top pod if you want to simulate a drivers view

the stabilized versions that come out after the fact are cool, but yeah - as it is that's pretty shit.

This season is going to be crazy. There’s so much development left on these cars. The RB is supposedly about 10 Kg overweight, so that’s 3 or 4 tenths they can gain right there. Ferrari hasn’t brought any big upgrades yet but are supposed to by Australia or Imola.

I’m sure Merc will make a big jump at some point this year, though the problem for them is Ferrari and RB can focus on other upgrades the whole time Merc is figuring out the porpoising. AMUS is reporting their first big upgrades will come at Imola.  I do think there’s a legitimate question about their design philosophy due to the porpoising. Their car was designed to run extremely low, but it just isn’t possible.

So basically, we could have a whole new season on our hands in about 5 races if all of those top teams bring major upgrades by then. In the meantime, it’s critical for Ferrari and RB to capitalize on the pints available while Merc struggles. Ferrari did a great job of that in race one. RB obviously failed miserably. 

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

This season is going to be crazy. There’s so much development left on these cars. The RB is supposedly about 10 Kg overweight, so that’s 3 or 4 tenths they can gain right there. Ferrari hasn’t brought any big upgrades yet but are supposed to by Australia or Imola.

I’m sure Merc will make a big jump at some point this year, though the problem for them is Ferrari and RB can focus on other upgrades the whole time Merc is figuring out the porpoising. AMUS is reporting their first big upgrades will come at Imola.  I do think there’s a legitimate question about their design philosophy due to the porpoising. Their car was designed to run extremely low, but it just isn’t possible.

So basically, we could have a whole new season on our hands in about 5 races if all of those top teams bring major upgrades by then. In the meantime, it’s critical for Ferrari and RB to capitalize on the pints available while Merc struggles. Ferrari did a great job of that in race one. RB obviously failed miserably. 

No doubt. Makes me happy I am an F1 fan and not live and die on a specific team/racer fan. Last season I was 100% on Max in the battle against Lewis. But if Leclerc or Sainz, or Perez, or Russell or Albon wins, I just like seeing exciting racing... and someone other than Hamilton atop the leaderboard.

I figure we won't see much difference in Saudi Arabia since it is only a few days away. But then it's two weeks to Australia, two more weeks to Imola, and then two more weeks to Miami. Gotta think there is a lot of time to make improvements for each team with some real live race data to point to. Even after Miami is done, you are only 5 races into a 23 race season -- not even a quarter of the way through.  So much to play out. 

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

12 hours ago, Dutch said:

Streamed the ESPN broadcast on YTTV through a Roku Ultra. Zero issues. 

A rather uneventful race… Until it wasn’t.  Ferrari seem legit and it stands to reason Merc and RB will fix their issues, so hopefully we’re in for three-way title races.   

Fifth for Magnusson seems a hell of a result, especially since he rejoined last week. Haas might not be total fooking wankers anymore. 

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I thought the Ferrari looked good. 

9877AFA1-1387-401F-999B-3474D9CF56EF.jpeg

That picture looks good. It was much darker on my TV. I do wish they'd put a sponsor/design on front face of the rear wing. Looks weird being so empty.

On 3/18/2022 at 8:41 AM, Burt Macklin said:

Man, getting excited for FP1 and then immediately hearing Damon Hill’s voice was a bit of a kick in the balls. He’s by far the worst commentator Sky has. 

On 3/18/2022 at 8:52 AM, ConferenceRoom said:

I'd have to give that title to Johnny Herbert. His adversarial nature is grating. Damon is a mush mouth but he doesn't elicit strong emotions one way or the other. Pinks is looking good as always. I'd like to Formula her 1 if you catch my drift. 

Yep, Damon is just going downhill rapidly and Johnny is an idiot. Both of them say stupid shit constantly, esp considering the fact that they were drivers. The worst for me, however, is Karun. Very longwinded, very prone to say things that are just outright incorrect, etc, and gets far too much airtime. By far the best they have are Ant and Paul imho, and they don't get nearly enough airtime. Not sure if that's by design or because of scheduling conflicts, but it sucks.

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh, and yeah, I really dig Natalie. She gives me the weirdest boner. Not exactly 'pretty', but def sexy, and I love her funky cool clothes.

Just got back from Isla/MxC late last night and caught the race. So I'm probably about to respond to several posts about it. Apologies in advance. 

On 3/18/2022 at 9:10 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

1. Helmets do very little for me. I think they are all too busy and the ads clutter them up. Plus you can barely see them in the car.

2. The new graphics aren't great. Hard to read detail at a glance and it's all too wide. Hopefully they tweak them.

100% agree. I like the older school helmets with simpler designs. Somewhere along the way, it seems that someone decided that busier looks better. It can, but it usually doesn't. 

And yeah, the new graphics suck, at least the font anyway. Also I noticed on some radio captions, they used dark colors on a black background. You could hardly read them. And I'll add that the new intro and the photos for the intro and grid lineup are just scary. It's like they tried to find the worst photog possible. 

On 3/18/2022 at 11:27 AM, Burt Macklin said:

I’d be very curious to see Hamilton’s fastest lap vs George’s. There’s no way George had the same amount of porpoising since he beta Hamilton by .6 and was only .6 off Verstappen. I think they said Hamilton had a new floor on, so maybe that made the issue worse? Idk it’s wild to see, but I still think Merc will end up with the fastest car at some point this season. 

Agree Merc could end up quickest, but it really seems to me like they're searching for right path to take at this point, and haven't figured it out quite yet. They didn't have anything for the Ferraris or the Bulls yesterday.

Edited by wood

13 minutes ago, wood said:

And I'll add that the new intro and the photos for the intro and grid lineup are just scary. It's like they tried to find the worst photog possible. 

Russell looking at Gasly with those baby blues...

image.png.bec2d1ccf434f0fd85ba1dfd74a9796c.png

Honestly, it looks like they decided to go dark/edgy Batman theme with all the graphics. Not a fan. 

This year:

image.png.663c49c491728a12e38d97a0d6a2ca67.png

Last year:

image.png.114f5208f4f0a2eae9d296247c71c35a.png

Remove whatever darkening they put on the pictures and it would be fine. But Leclerc looks like an extra in Interview with a Vampire in that photo.

Totally disagree on Paul DiResta. He completely sucks ass.

I am indifferent on Karun. I don’t like hate him, he’s just neither here nor there for me.

You know what is funny though, is that it seems like a lot of drivers can’t really do commentary. Like you would expect them to give you a lot of good insight and many of them just…..don’t. It’s weird.

Nico is good but his presenting style is a little iffy sometimes. Button can present well but he doesn’t provide as much insight as you’d hope he would.

That is why Ant is the best. He can do both.

That new girl was actually pretty good, too. Naomi Schiff.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 10:35 AM, Burt Macklin said:

Stroll beaten by a guy who hadn’t driven for two years and just hopped in the car for the first time Friday. That is horrible. Latifi outqualified by a second by Albon. 

Bad day for the pay drivers who don’t deserve to be in F1. 

And don't forget that Stroll had lots of sim seat time and testing as well, while Hulk had none of that. I mean, if we were picking between Hulk and Stroll for our SurlyHorns F1 seat, I doubt anyone at all would choose Stroll. But Daddy's money rules F1, I guess.

9 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Totally disagree on Paul DiResta. He completely sucks ass.

I am indifferent on Karun. I don’t like hate him, he’s just neither here nor there for me.

You know what is funny though, is that it seems like a lot of drivers can’t really do commentary. Like you would expect them to give you a lot of good insight and many of them just…..don’t. It’s weird.

Nico is good but his presenting style is a little iffy sometimes. Button can present well but he doesn’t provide as much insight as you’d hope he would.

That is why Ant is the best. He can do both.

That new girl was actually pretty good, too. Naomi Schiff.

Yeah Button is very guarded with his comments most times, like he doesn't wanna piss off his buddies in the paddock. Disagree (obviously) re: Paul. I find him extremely insightful and knowledgeable. Many of his critics cite his Scottish accent as their main complaint, saying they can't understand him. I understand him fine. His accent isn't nearly as strong as what you'll encounter walking around the streets of Glasgow. Nico is pretty good. He loves to dish the inside scoop and always seems like he's dying to say even more than he does.

Edited by wood

On 3/19/2022 at 11:15 AM, Burt Macklin said:

That’s why I think it’s most likely some sort of technical error. It’s the first Qualifying of the season after all. Otherwise it’s an inexplicable error. 

Absolutely crazy. The relative performance of all Merc teams definitely seems like there’s a real engine issue. 

I don’t see how it’s possible for them to be this down really. At worst E10 was going to be a drop of 80 up, but most teams were reported to claw back at least 60hp if not all over the offseason. Other than that, Merc should’ve using more or less the same engine from last year, which was the beat on the grid. 

Yeah it's really interesting if you list the results by engines instead of drivers. Merc is hurting. Honda seems powerful but reliability could be a concern.

1. Ferrari

2. Ferrari

3. Merc

4. Merc

5. Ferrari

6. Ferrari

7. Alpine

8. Honda

9. Alpine

10. Ferrari

11. Ferrari

12. Merc

13. Merc

14. Merc

15. Merc

16. Merc

17. Merc

18. Honda DNF

19. Honda DNF

20. Honda DNF

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Pérez's Q1 time was allowed to stand despite the fact he went completely off track on the exit of the last turn. As in it wasn't even close. 

Well, that sucks. Hope they get their shit together and get consistent. Mistakes will still happen occasionally and it might take some time, but consistent enforcement can definitely be done.  I like that neither of the new RDs came from an F1 background. The guy yesterday is from DTM/FE, and Freittas is from WEC, where they definitely have their shit together.

Edited by wood

On 3/19/2022 at 11:25 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

All the drivers still seem uncomfortable with their cars from what I've seen.

Alonso said there's not a driver on the grid who likes the new car. Ouch. But in time, with updates and refinements, who knows.

From a fan perspective, the racing definitely seemed better & a lot closer - 6 lead changes in what, 3 laps? Holy shit. Under the lights, the proportions just looked weird on many of the cars, esp the Merc, and they generally looked awkward and sluggish imho.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah it's really interesting if you list the results by engines instead of drivers. Merc is hurting. Honda seems powerful but reliability could be a concern.

1. Ferrari

2. Ferrari

3. Merc

4. Merc

5. Ferrari

6. Ferrari

7. Alpine

8. Honda

9. Alpine

10. Ferrari

11. Ferrari

12. Merc

13. Merc

14. Merc

15. Merc

16. Merc

17. Merc

18. Honda DNF

19. Honda DNF

20. Honda DNF

I know Honda is with the last three on that list, but I'd feel much better about having some sort of error that can (hopefully) be corrected versus an engine that just seems like it doesn't work as well as the competition.

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I know Honda is with the last three on that list, but I'd feel much better about having some sort of error that can (hopefully) be corrected versus an engine that just seems like it doesn't work as well as the competition.

Yeah with an engine freeze, the last thing you want to be is slow. They aren't slow, and reliabilty can likely be dealt with. Fix whatever the issues were with those three cars, and that result looks very different, and really looks bad for Merc, with the last six finishers powered by their engines (maybe. I can't remember what position Gasly was in when he retired).

53 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Pérez's Q1 time was allowed to stand despite the fact he went completely off track on the exit of the last turn. As in it wasn't even close. 

Supposedly they did cancel his lap, which is why he went out and did another in Q1.  But they didn't mention it at the time. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/20/2022 at 11:54 AM, ConferenceRoom said:

If McLaren can’t be bothered this season, I have no problem rooting for Charles and Charles. The only thing worse than watching McLaren languishing is Ferrari not reaching their full potential. Hopefully they can carry it through the entire calendar.

There should be a Carlos & Charlie's logo on that car, somewhere.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Apparently the Red Bull DNFs were “not caused by the fuel pump”, but RBR does not want to elaborate on it.

Weird. Don’t know what would be going on there, unless it’s heat related.

Good thing Saudi is up next huh.

On 3/20/2022 at 1:15 PM, Hozz said:

I was watching via Hulu Live and the stream also sucked so maybe it was some kind of issue upstream.

I enjoyed the race.  I hate all of Red Bull more than I like any other team but I am happy to see Ferrari running good.  As a newer, casual fan it seems like they should always be good.  One of those "The sport is better when X is good" type things.

What happened with Bottas at the start?  They didn't talk about it too much or if they did I missed it but dropping 8 spots right away seems like something must have happened.

Not sure why, but he had a terrible start off the line. That really fucked Alonso's start, too.