Station Eleven - HBO Max

A-Tex Devil

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

It made me think of a Joe Rogan line from one of his stand up routines where he was talking about how no one really knows how anything works. “If I sent you into the words with a hatchet, how long before you could send me an email?”

If only one in a thousand Americans lived you’d be left with 330,000 men women and children. That’s the population of Corpus Christi.

And very dispersed. There’d be 7500 people in DFW and 7,000 in Houston. Probably not enough to get the energy world working again. 

Beijing would be fucking humming though. 

Just now, Celery Man said:

There’s no way the population of Corpus Christi sustains a Shakespearean acting troupe. 

No way. Though half would have a wardrobe that consists solely of the city’s best fitting Cowboys jerseys and the other half would be told stories of the Texas legend Vic Mackey. 

13 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

My recollection was a 99% fatality rate from the show. So Austin would have about 10,000 people left.  Sounds fucking fantastic.  

20,000. And Houston/DFW about 70,000 each. 

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

My recollection was a 99% fatality rate from the show. So Austin would have about 10,000 people left.  Sounds fucking fantastic.  

At some point, the narrative about the pandemic switched from 1 in 100 surviving to 1 in 1000. The former was speculation during the outbreak while the latter ended up being reality. Like y'all I was doing the math in my head on the number of survivors in various cities in one episode, and then the next I had to redo it based on the revised 1 in 1000 figure. Maybe it was a mistake in the storyline, but they changed it.

11 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

It’s fascinating to consider a world where only one in a thousand survive. There would be so many surplus resources of certain kinds (everyone could have a mansion), but lots of things would still expire including gas.

I would assume deer would be everywhere. They are numerous even with the current hunting population. Fresh water shouldn’t be too hard to come by. I imagine power and plumbing would be a challenge.

Thanos wet dream.

the #1 thing that drives me absolutely fucking nuts in these post apocalyptic shows is the almost complete fucking lack of anyone using bicycles.

For almost all the shows.....that once the cars stop running, everyone is either walking everywhere, or riding a horse everywhere. 

bikes would be hella plentiful and would allow you to increase your transport haul by a large amount, plus they can get pretty much anywhere a person can with the exception of buildings with lots of stairs. 

Revolution, The Road, Walking Dead, every fucking zombie movie, even Jericho.... the number of people using bikes in any of those shows is extremly close to zero. 

In fact this show might honestly have been the only one to actually show anyone using a bike for transport.  and he happens to be the dweeb who left the airport with the girls soccer team.

now THAT is a loose end I would to see cleared up.    both the fate of the girls soccer team group, as well as the reason that asshat left with the girls, but came back to the airport and how was he let back in.... only to play the heavy when needed (clubbing Tyler after the arson) 

Edited by AUS-97HORN

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

the #1 thing that drives me absolutely fucking nuts in these post apocalyptic shows is the almost complete fucking lack of anyone using bicycles.

For almost all the shows.....that once the cars stop running, everyone is either walking everywhere, or riding a horse everywhere. 

bikes would be hella plentiful and would allow you to increase your transport haul by a large amount, plus they can get pretty much anywhere a person can with the exception of buildings with lots of stairs. 

Revolution, The Road, Walking Dead, every fucking zombie movie, even Jericho.... the number of people using bikes in any of those shows is extremly close to zero. 

In fact this show might honestly have been the only one to actually show anyone using a bike for transport.  and he happens to be the dweeb who left the airport with the girls soccer team.

now THAT is a loose end I would to see cleared up.    both the fate of the girls soccer team group, as well as the reason that asshat left with the girls, but came back to the airport and how was he let back in.... only to play the heavy when needed (clubbing Tyler after the arson) 

This show had the weirdo wannabe actor on a bike. And smartly used horses to pull cars (a little weird to me because surely they would be able to tap into an endless supply of gasoline with so few people in each region, and mechanics to fix old cars). Besides it’s hard to stab a zombie on a bike. 

surely they would be able to tap into an endless supply of gasoline with so few people in each region

Gasoline has a pretty limited shelf life, maybe 2-3 years max?

In this show, they were using some gas vehicles (motorcycle with sidecar for instance) for the first 1-2 years, but definitely not by year 20.

Electric vehicles with solar panels probably offer more longevity in a post-apocalyptic world but even those would eventually fail if no one is able to service them and replace batteries.

Loved the show. Knocked it out over the long weekend. Actor playing young Kirsten was excellent, along with the rest of the cast.

Having Mackenzie Davis appear in those flashback scenes with Jeevan in Frank’s apartment was a good choice by the filmmakers. Gave a little extra emotional anchor to Jeevan and (adult) Kirsten’s eventual reunion since those actors would have otherwise never appeared together. Definitely got a bit dusty there.

I agree with the consensus here that this show was quality, I just finished the finale about 20 minutes ago. Just a couple of thoughts to add.

ep 9 was fucking incredible. The actor playing Cheevan was great throughout the show but he (and his brother) really shined. It was beautiful and extremely well executed, as good as The Leftovers season 1, ep 3 with a similar vibe (where the preacher goes gambling).

One nitpick, unlike many folks here I wasn’t super impressed by the entire cast. Some were terrific, some pretty good and a few so-so.

Regardless a really good show. Looking forward to reading the book.

17 minutes ago, Sleep off ugly said:

I agree with the consensus here that this show was quality, I just finished the finale about 20 minutes ago. Just a couple of thoughts to add.

ep 9 was fucking incredible. The actor playing Cheevan was great throughout the show but he (and his brother) really shined. It was beautiful and extremely well executed, as good as The Leftovers season 1, ep 3 with a similar vibe (where the preacher goes gambling).

One nitpick, unlike many folks here I wasn’t super impressed by the entire cast. Some were terrific, some pretty good and a few so-so.

Regardless a really good show. Looking forward to reading the book.

He was great in Yesterday and then I didn't see him in anything for a few years, and now he's in both Station Eleven and Don't Look Up. Looking forward to seeing him in more stuff.

Just finished episode five. Great show and I don't really mind the flashbacks because they keep it intriguing. Initially I was put off by the back and forth but each flashback story pulls me in pretty quick. Actually prefer these scenes over the year 20 scenes.

On 1/19/2022 at 8:12 PM, austingirl said:

He was great in Yesterday and then I didn't see him in anything for a few years, and now he's in both Station Eleven and Don't Look Up. Looking forward to seeing him in more stuff.

there's going to be a lot of that going around due to covid delays (in both shooting and releasing of shows/movies).

This show really stuck with me. So much so that I rewatched the entire thing again over the last week. I just love the idea of using art as a healing device through trauma, as the characters do with Shakespeare and Hamlet, and Station Eleven.

Honestly just as good if not better the second time. There are a few things you notice that you wouldn't without a rewatch. For example: The town the symphony gets to in Episode 2 is called St. Deborah's on the Water, and you see a statue of the maternity doctor, Deborah, from Episode 9.

Definitely the Jeevan and Kirsten story that gets to me the most.

Edited by LonghornSean

4 hours ago, F250 said:

Finished the series.

That Jeevan and Kirsten reunion.

Happy Happiness GIF by CAF

Loved that scene but small nitpick. They had the two near miss each other, Jeevan was supposed to be going back home, attends the play?, then he is back for the after party to reunite.

Did they explain where he was during the play or why he didn't reunite there in the middle of it? (other than due to plot flow I guess). 

Really enjoyed it.  Like some, I was getting a bit annoyed with all the flipping back and forth in time.  But episodes 5 and on were really great and an excellent ending. 

I’ve told a few people who weren’t loving it to just get through four episodes. Everyone seems to get hooked after that.

Loved that scene but small nitpick. They had the two near miss each other, Jeevan was supposed to be going back home, attends the play?, then he is back for the after party to reunite.
Did they explain where he was during the play or why he didn't reunite there in the middle of it? (other than due to plot flow I guess). 

I thought about that too but Kirsten wasn’t in the play, she directed. She was backstage.
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, achooloco said:

We are to assume he attended the play. He was told that the Traveling Symphony was there and apparently they are a big deal. He mentioned that his kids know all about the Traveling Symphony. As soon as he was told I assumed he would attend because it's a desirable event to attend in the apocalypse.

Kirsten was the director of the play and was backstage. They wouldn't have seen each other during the play.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, F250 said:

He was told that the Traveling Symphony was there and apparently they are a big deal. He mentioned that his kids know all about the Traveling Symphony.

Do you mean when he told Kirsten, “they know all about you”? I think that meant that’s he’s told his kids all about her and the story of the two of them.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Do you mean when he told Kirsten, “they know all about you”? I think that meant that’s he’s told his kids all about her and the story of the two of them.

Yeah, you are right. I misunderstood that part.

Just replayed the ending.

Sad Season 2 GIF by This Is Us

• Like 2

I loved this show. Caught the rec to watch it here and it delivered.  I binged the entire show this afternoon/evening.  I just couldn't stop watching.  

I too thought the child cult with landmines was just pushed aside too easily, but everything else with Kirsten and Jeevan was just so good, I had to finish.

Since I haven't watched The Leftovers, it sounds like I gotta put this on my list.

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

I tried the leftovers, but bailed after the first couple of episodes.  This show just grabbed me from the get go.  The leftovers not so much.  Maybe I should power through.  

I did the same thing and then came back and then got hooked by episode 5. I also did the same with The Wire and both of those shows are my all time favorites.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

IIRC, seasons 2 and 3 were better than season 1.

Yes. Season 2 and 3 are less grim, weirder and just better.  I said this on the Watchmen thread - Lindelof has mastered taking source material and extending on it to make it even better.  While Station Eleven creator, a Leftovers alum, didn’t extend the source material, the changes and additions and other choices made created a better show than if it followed the book. 

I did the same thing and then came back and then got hooked by episode 5. I also did the same with The Wire and both of those shows are my all time favorites.

Hmm. I tried The Wire long after it aired and couldn’t get over the non-HD picture. It just looked and felt so dated. Maybe I need to try again.

I think if you stream the wire on HBO Max it's in HD at this point? The Wire is the best show ever made so you should definitely give that another go. It is dense though and not forgiving of distracted viewing.

The Leftovers is maybe similar to Station 11 in that it takes a second. And it does keep growing and getting weirder and more impactful.

That specific recording of "Let the Mystery Be" by Iris Dement from season 2 is still a favorite.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 1:13 AM, LonghornSean said:

Loved the show. Knocked it out over the long weekend. Actor playing young Kirsten was excellent, along with the rest of the cast.

Having Mackenzie Davis appear in those flashback scenes with Jeevan in Frank’s apartment was a good choice by the filmmakers. Gave a little extra emotional anchor to Jeevan and (adult) Kirsten’s eventual reunion since those actors would have otherwise never appeared together. Definitely got a bit dusty there.

That was the first episode they filmed. 

Yeah realized that after I posted. So my point doesn't really apply to the actors performance, who are professionals used to out of order shooting schedules anyway. I'd say it still kind of works from the audience perspective though.

But, that said, I don't think the reunion would have suffered at all had Episode 7 been a regular flashback (sans adult Kirsten).

Edited by LonghornSean

On 1/15/2022 at 12:27 AM, AUS-97HORN said:

Lol, totally true.  The only one I know of is in The Expanse book Calibans War, where a main character gets around using a bicycle. 

Loved the series. Very dusty during that last episode

Edited by Bateshorn

• 1 month later...

Ok, watched and finished it over spring break since I had some time out of the office and after the kids were in bed.

First of all, I loved the show. 

That said - I agree with Clark’s “what the fuck” at the end as Tyler just walks off with all the … kids he stole over the years? That’s the end for his character?