Station Eleven - HBO Max

A-Tex Devil

I’ll start a thread to see if it can get traction because this show has been stunning.  It’s unlike any post-apocalyptic/dystopian show I’ve ever seen.  First episode is a little too close to home in parts with current pandemic but the book was written 8 or 9 years ago    

Show creator is a Leftovers alum and there are Lindelof type storytelling devices that recall Lost and the Watchmen that just work.  It’s most like Leftovers season 2 in tone though.  

There is a reveal in Episode 5 that becomes obvious about halfway through, but is still well earned and well done in every way   This show can surprise without hiding the ball, being shocking or being dishonest with audience.

Watch it.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

I went straight through the current 5 episodes while off from work last week and then decided to watch them all again. Totally engrossing show, but I love emotional gut punches.

There were quite a few small things that I missed on my first viewing that I picked up or made more sense the second viewing. 

Does anyone know how many episodes there will be? 

4 hours ago, seven said:

I went straight through the current 5 episodes while off from work last week and then decided to watch them all again. Totally engrossing show, but I love emotional gut punches.

There were quite a few small things that I missed on my first viewing that I picked up or made more sense the second viewing. 

Does anyone know how many episodes there will be? 

Yeah... For instance, the one brief cutaway scene of Clark in episode 1 before he left to fly to Chicago was right after he called Miranda in episode 3.  Didn't catch that the first time.  

Just now, A-Tex Devil said:

Yeah... For instance, the one brief cutaway scene of Clark in episode 1 before he left to fly to Chicago was right after he called Miranda in episode 3.  Didn't catch that the first time.  

And there have been two laugh out loud moments that got me...

1. David Cross' character suggesting that they score their Hamlet production to Tubthumper.

2. The guy in the Homeland Security jacket telling a very "The Dude"-looking Clark to stay out of his beach community.

So the German dude with the long hair that was with Elizabeth that left the airport is same dude that is the Museum of Civilization emissary, right?  He said he “came back” at some point.  

Seems like central theme is a fight between those holding on to the past and “control” vs those that want to forget the past and strike out on their own, but I haven’t read books.  

On 12/31/2021 at 1:51 PM, A-Tex Devil said:

So the German dude with the long hair that was with Elizabeth that left the airport is same dude that is the Museum of Civilization emissary, right?  He said he “came back” at some point.  

Seems like central theme is a fight between those holding on to the past and “control” vs those that want to forget the past and strike out on their own, but I haven’t read books.  

yes, but he was presented as Italian originally not German.  but after 20 years, he lost his accent I guess.

the Actor who plays that guy played Mathesar in Galaxy Quest

• Like 1

This show is weird, but four episodes in I like it. I can’t really relate to the Traveling Symphony because I’ve never really connected with eccentric artist types like that, but the jumping timeline is fascinating and the whole cast is really good. The end of episode four was was

yikes!

7 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I’m halfway through episode 4, but I’m probably out on the rest of it.  I’m more interested in the flu storyline but this show seems all over the place and I’m having a hard time following it.  

Haven’t watched the show but how I felt about the book

34 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

This is obvious, I know, but the structure of the show has been one episode on the flu outbreak in the past and then the next episode on the future (or present?), and then repeat.  So, next weeks' episode looks to be back to the future (at the airport/museum).  

I imagine the next episode is what happened at the airport.  Then one of the episodes has to get into what happened to Jeevan and/or Kirsten's time on her own.  I presume that could be baked into the finale, leaving one Year 20 episode like episodes 2, 4, and 6 and the airport --> museum backstory for episode 8 and 9.  Although I won't be surprised if episode 8 tries to cover off both.  

Whether Miranda shows up again or not will be interesting.    

Started this a few days ago. Loved the first episode when the storyline was focused on the initial flu outbreak. Gave me some “The Stand” vibes. But then I watched the second episode and I don’t like the 2040 storyline at all. I’m not a fan of how much it jumps around too but I’ll give it another chance and see if I like it better.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

Started this a few days ago. Loved the first episode when the storyline was focused on the initial flu outbreak. Gave me some “The Stand” vibes. But then I watched the second episode and I don’t like the 2040 storyline at all. I’m not a fan of how much it jumps around too but I’ll give it another chance and see if I like it better.

My thoughts as well.  I didn't want to thread shit - especially considering how many like it.  But, the 2040 stuff just sucks to me.

• Hook 'Em 1

RE, the stuff about episodes switching back and forth. Only 2 episodes in and I definitely enjoyed the first a lot more than the 2nd. Noticed on IMDB that I'm not alone as the 2nd episode is the lowest rated of the 7 released so far. If that's the "worst" chapter and each subsequent chapter is better, then definitely sticking with it. 

• Like 1

I kind of agreed but then it gets a lot better at the end of ep 4.

And there is a preview for the next episode each week. You can pull that up now and see what the next episode will be about.

I really enjoy mackenzie davis in this. Her voice and face are a little weird but I dig it. I looked up what else she was in because I wasn't familiar with her. I really liked the black mirror episode she was in, but the rest looked like trash. 

Edited by seven

2 hours ago, seven said:

I really enjoy mackenzie davis in this. Her voice and face are a little weird but I dig it. I looked up what else she was in because I wasn't familiar with her. I really liked the black mirror episode she was in, but the rest looked like trash. 

she was a main part in halt and catch fire. great show but that’s when i started disliking her. 

Binged the first 9 episodes over the weekend. Didn’t know anything about it going in but I really love everything about this show.

Very strong The Leftovers vibes, which is a top 3 show for me. When Kirsten was on her poison trip through the past, I half expected her younger self to make her sing Homeward Bound to get back. Kidding, but it really reminded me of that.

I don’t know Mackenzie Davis but I think she is great for this role. For me at least, her facial expressions and mannerisms convey a very real mixture of emotions.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Thanks for the tip.  I have been watching this show one episode at at time for the last week and really like it.   It's beautiful to watch, with great music.  The acting is pretty much spot on.   Non-linear story-telling can be irritating and gimmicky (my husband checked out in episode 2 because of it) but here it absolutely works.  It weaves between the times beautifully.  It keeps building.  I don't know anything about the story and am actively avoiding learning anything about it so I can enjoy the show.  That's pretty rare for me.

This past weekend, it was cold, wet, dark and dreary in Dallas.   Half the people we know are positive or are in quarantine from having Covid.  My parents are visiting on Monday, so we went into a self-imposed lockdown.  Watching this show in these times is eerie.  But, unlike most dystopian stories, there are moments of joy and fun that keep it (somewhat) balanced.

• Hook 'Em 1

That’s definitely better than watching two episodes at a time.

I agree soundtrack is really really good. The music during episode 9 reminds of something but I can’t put my finger on it. The way those little sounds swell and then abruptly cut off (right at the beginning of the episode if you want to go back and check it out). I really like that.

Interesting show. Agree that the music is really good. We’ve watched it a few episodes at a time as opposed to as they are released so I feel like we may miss a few things here and there.Kind of a Westworld vibe with the moving timelines. Looking forward to the finale.

It’s so weird HBO bought the rights to this in late 2019.