Jump to content

2022 Fatass Thread of Dominance


Recommended Posts

On 1/26/2022 at 3:54 PM, UT_OB1 said:

My pull-up tree that was also the kids climbing tree in the backyard took a hit during that higher wind cold front we had in October last year. Wife got me a power tower (pull-ups, dips, ab leg lift movement).  Finally out it together today. Might not be able to lift my arms tomorrow!  Is nice to have a quick way to go do pull-ups again 

I bought one of these for 20 or 30 bucks about a year ago and put it in a doorway that's always open and that I walk past a lot. I'll randomly grab it and do a few throughout the day. It's a quick and effective way to keep things somewhat toned and get a little core workout at the same time. 

 

61IcHqN8vZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm back up to 230 from 221 unfortunately. Had covid for a week but my gym habit has turned to shit. I'm thinking about doing more with a diet but I'm not sure where to start. Turns out I've been doing a 16/8 intermittent fast for the last 4 years without knowing it. I was a lot skinnier before that change was made to my diet but it forced its hand due to my new job. I eat lunch at around noon, work ends at 6:30 but I don't get home for dinner until 7:30. It also doesn't help that my old job used to be surrounded by central market and eatzis and this new one is surrounded by subway and at least 20 fried chicken joints 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm back up to 230 from 221 unfortunately. Had covid for a week but my gym habit has turned to shit. I'm thinking about doing more with a diet but I'm not sure where to start. Turns out I've been doing a 16/8 intermittent fast for the last 4 years without knowing it. I was a lot skinnier before that change was made to my diet but it forced its hand due to my new job. I eat lunch at around noon, work ends at 6:30 but I don't get home for dinner until 7:30. It also doesn't help that my old job used to be surrounded by central market and eatzis and this new one is surrounded by subway and at least 20 fried chicken joints 

Time to start bringing your own lunch.

https://www.amazon.com/Microwavable-Containers-Rectangular-BPA-Free-Dishwasher/dp/B079M174TQ


I can make these last almost a year, and I use 3-4 of them every day.
  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I‘m trying to make a list of screwed up ideas about food that we have that sabotage us-

1. Have to eat three meals per day on a schedule 

2. Every meal should have meat

3. The food pyramid

4. It is bad to throw food away (who here hasn’t let food in the fridge and pantry drive meal plans and sizes?). This isn’t the great depression and we’re not subsistence sharecroppers. We piss away more money on inefficient driving plans than any excess food we discard. 
 

Others? Any of you keto or paleo guys have any myths you could dispel?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I made a few lifestyle changes after Christmas that have resulted in -11 lbs so far. There’s a lot left to lose so I’m hoping to go a good ways further before  plateauing needing to make more changes. 
 

biggest change is probably stopping the soda. 3 cans per day on average to zero. 

changed to latte in the morning for caffeine, and when I get soda cravings, I drink a soda flavored kombucha. Anyone else try those drinks?  Stevia for sweetener with just enough real sugar for the microbes to eat. Scratches that itch pretty well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, statsman said:

I‘m trying to make a list of screwed up ideas about food that we have that sabotage us-

1. Have to eat three meals per day on a schedule 

2. Every meal should have meat

3. The food pyramid

4. It is bad to throw food away (who here hasn’t let food in the fridge and pantry drive meal plans and sizes?). This isn’t the great depression and we’re not subsistence sharecroppers. We piss away more money on inefficient driving plans than any excess food we discard. 
 

Others? Any of you keto or paleo guys have any myths you could dispel?

I think you must have made a typo. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, F250 said:

A lot of my meals are meatless. I never go proteinless but I can go days without meat.

Was jk. I eat quite a bit of plain Greek yogurt myself. Makes for a nice change up, and actually taste good with some blueberries or strawberries 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Was jk. I eat quite a bit of plain Greek yogurt myself. Makes for a nice change up, and actually taste good with some blueberries or strawberries 

I probably eat one a day. Fage or Etsi. 15g of protein and probiotics. A good afternoon snack with a handful of almonds or cashews to get me to dinner.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Having one of my “healthy” weekend meals tonight. Lamb kebab, Lebanese salad, babaganoush. It comes with some pita bread and rice, but I eat half for dinner and the other half for lunch. I estimate the calories per meal around 850 calories. I think.

Napoleon Dynamite Want GIF

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

First time reading this thread.  Had a bit of a health scare last summer.  I wasn’t dying or anything, but it was enough to scare a guy straight.  Dropped 25 lbs since then and have gone from a 38” waist to a 34”. Mostly eating better and less, with a bit of an uptick in exercise.    I’m back to within 5 lbs of what I weighed in high school

  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/28/2022 at 10:45 AM, 4th&Five said:

A question for the IF folks: I pretty much accidentally ended up doing 16/8 without even knowing. The only thing I eat between is a banana in the morning. Am I ruining the benefits of IF with just that?

Probably. When I was doing IF, I had coffee creamer throughout the day. Was I truly 100% doing IF? No, but it kept me sane.

If eating a banana helps you, do it. There are worse things you could eat.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/28/2022 at 10:45 AM, 4th&Five said:

A question for the IF folks: I pretty much accidentally ended up doing 16/8 without even knowing. The only thing I eat between is a banana in the morning. Am I ruining the benefits of IF with just that?

If you can make it without a banana, your better off.  As I understand, eating spikes insulin.  Spiking insulin stops fat burning and the other benefits of IF.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you can make it without a banana, your better off.  As I understand, eating spikes insulin.  Spiking insulin stops fat burning and the other benefits of IF.

This is a wild mischaracterization of how insulin works in relation to fat burning/storage. As long as you’re in a net caloric deficit it doesn’t matter how many times your insulin “spikes”.

Furthermore, IF isn’t some magic pill that puts you in a state of catabolism/anabolism at a superior rate than anything else. All IF does is help you reduce your caloric intake by reducing the amount of time in which you allow yourself to feed. When calories are equated it is 100% no different than someone eating 3,4 or even 7 meals a day. It’s just a means to help those with self control issues when it comes to portion control/over eating.
  • Hook 'Em 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:


This is a wild mischaracterization of how insulin works in relation to fat burning/storage. As long as you’re in a net caloric deficit it doesn’t matter how many times your insulin “spikes”.

Furthermore, IF isn’t some magic pill that puts you in a state of catabolism/anabolism at a superior rate than anything else. All IF does is help you reduce your caloric intake by reducing the amount of time in which you allow yourself to feed. When calories are equated it is 100% no different than someone eating 3,4 or even 7 meals a day. It’s just a means to help those with self control issues when it comes to portion control/over eating.

100% this.  It was super early when I wrote my reply but should have said this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Probably. When I was doing IF, I had coffee creamer throughout the day. Was I truly 100% doing IF? No, but it kept me sane.

If eating a banana helps you, do it. There are worse things you could eat.

 

3 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

If you can make it without a banana, your better off.  As I understand, eating spikes insulin.  Spiking insulin stops fat burning and the other benefits of IF.

Thanks.  I'm not really hungry before lunch I just have felt like I should eat something before the gym.  I'll skip the nana and see how it goes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do any of you experienced guys have any supplements that you like? A thermogenic for pre-cardio that won't make my heart explode? Anything that will help with gains in the gym? I can't lift super heavy right now due to some cartilage/bone spur issues in an elbow but I'm doing what I can manage as there is no risk of further acute injury. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thermogenic supplements aka fat burners are 100% snake oil. You’d be better off buying plexus or Itworks! shakes because those are the only ones guaranteed to make you lose weight (explosive diarrhea). Did you perhaps mean to ask about a stimulant based supplement consume pre-workout for energy?

Also, your last two sentences seem counterintuitive. I’m not sure what gains you can expect to see when your resistance training ability is greatly inhibited.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Thanks.  I'm not really hungry before lunch I just have felt like I should eat something before the gym.  I'll skip the nana and see how it goes.

Depends on how early you work out.  If it's first thing in the morning, you're probably okay hitting the gym after your overnight fast.  But if it's more mid-morning, your fuel supply might be depleted enough that you burn muscle for energy instead of carbs or your fat stores.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Thermogenic supplements aka fat burners are 100% snake oil. You’d be better off buying plexus or Itworks! shakes because those are the only ones guaranteed to make you lose weight (explosive diarrhea). Did you perhaps mean to ask about a stimulant based supplement consume pre-workout for energy?

What he said.  If you want a stimulant-based supplement to give you a boost before your workout, I recommend this:

spacer.png

Like other Vega products, the ingredients are as clean as you can get for workout supplements.  I'll take this about 15-20 minutes before an early morning run right when I get out of bed. 

And for "gains," I don't think pre-work out supplements can help as much with that.  If you take something before your workout that's too heavily loaded with protein or other stuff, it'll probably weigh you down.  For muscle gain, just focus on a macro level with your protein intake throughout the day.  When you consume it is less important than getting enough in the day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well a month without alcohol was just fine.  Not missing it so that’s cool.  I’m also doing a lot more exercise and feeling stronger.  Plus playing tennis a couple of times a week. 
 

So what the fuck, body?  I have actually gained a pound this month… I think it’s just portion size but my wife takes good care of me and her food is awesome.  I don’t eat out.

 

I am patient so I’m going to focus on sugar and carbs now.  I am actually not too upset about the weight because I can tell my gut has shrunk some and my endurance is good.  

 Dominance not achieved, work in progress.  Oh yeah and closing in on fiddy is not helping either.

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well a month without alcohol was just fine.  Not missing it so that’s cool.  I’m also doing a lot more exercise and feeling stronger.  Plus playing tennis a couple of times a week. 
 
So what the fuck, body?  I have actually gained a pound this month… I think it’s just portion size but my wife takes good care of me and her food is awesome.  I don’t eat out.
 
I am patient so I’m going to focus on sugar and carbs now.  I am actually not too upset about the weight because I can tell my gut has shrunk some and my endurance is good.  
 Dominance not achieved, work in progress.  Oh yeah and closing in on fiddy is not helping either.

Don’t get discouraged. Are you using an app like MyFitnessPal to track your calories? If not, I highly suggest it.

I am down 17 lbs as of this morning. This week isn’t my best, but if I average 3 lbs a week, I will be happy. Still a long way from my fighting weight.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I meant to post after that picture instead of sounding like the condescending prick I am, but at work and got busy.

The point was that if I had a dollar for every person that told me “I’m only eating 1500 calories a day why can’t I lose weight?!” when in reality they’re north of 2200 a day and in excess of 3000 on the weekends, I’d be Oprah rich. Unless you’ve actually measured out your portions at some point in time, you are probably very off on what size portion you are actually eating.

It’s not always easy, but it’s not rocket surgery either. For the vast majority of society, burn more calories than you consume and you will lose weight. So before you start trying crazy extreme diets that are destined to fail, or snake oil shakes/supplements, do the math on your daily intake.

  • Hook 'Em 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

Well a month without alcohol was just fine. 

. . .

I am patient so I’m going to focus on sugar and carbs now. 

Cutting out or reducing alcohol consumption helps only so much.  Depending how much you drink when you get off the wagon, reducing your sugars and carbs may produce better results. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Cutting out or reducing alcohol consumption helps only so much.  Depending how much you drink when you get off the wagon, reducing your sugars and carbs may produce better results. 

Well fuck it then I’m going to get drunk.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had my physical and respirator fit today. Technician said I could blow like not other! …wait a second…

Max sure to hit the bike in addition to weights today. Save my first beer for Mandolorian tonight. This is the way. 

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, for me, this is perhaps the toughest time of year considering my massive sweet tooth. I fucking love Cadbury creme eggs and Cadbury mini eggs. I don’t trust my will around them. Best I send my wife to Walgreens and the grocery store this time of year as I know I will not be able to pass them up. Fuck you zombie Jesus and your delicious confections!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

What’s are the prevailing thoughts on greens powder to help supplement veggies?

I tried it several years ago but never found one that wasn’t truly disgusting. 

These days I just put a shitfull of spinach into a chocolate protein smoothie that I make most every day. I can’t taste the greens much, and between that and a salad for dinner I’m usually good on veggies for the day.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

What’s are the prevailing thoughts on greens powder to help supplement veggies?

Just eat fruits and vegetables. I can get a little obsessive with micronutrients sometimes but in my experience when you are loading up your micros from food you end up eating clean as fuck. I always end up having to eat extra food to avoid a calorie deficit because vegetables are not calorie dense.

So for those trying to run a deficit, you should eat your vegetables.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just eat fruits and vegetables. I can get a little obsessive with micronutrients sometimes but in my experience when you are loading up your micros from food you end up eating clean as fuck. I always end up having to eat extra food to avoid a calorie deficit because vegetables are not calorie dense.
So for those trying to run a deficit, you should eat your vegetables.
 

This is a solid point. I understand maybe looking to supplement, but you should try to get all your vitamins and nutrients as much as possible from the food you eat, especially vegetables. One, it fills you up and are typically low calorie, plus you don’t have to take supplements. Also, I bet those supplements cost more than actual vegetables.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:


This is a solid point. I understand maybe looking to supplement, but you should try to get all your vitamins and nutrients as much as possible from the food you eat, especially vegetables. One, it fills you up and are typically low calorie, plus you don’t have to take supplements. Also, I bet those supplements cost more than actual vegetables.

So true.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven’t read the entire thread but does anyone else have the issue where you workout the same every week, pretty much eat the same every week but one week you lose three to four pounds and the other week you hold at the exact same weight?  I ‘m happy I’ve lost 15 lbs over the last 10 weeks but a steady 1,5 lbs per week would be a lot more calming.  I’m worried each time I’ve hit a plateau.

I only weigh once a week because the daily fluctuations can really get me down.  Then I either give up on the workouts for a bit out of self pity or hurt myself due to trying to do too much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Fudge Nuggets said:

I haven’t read the entire thread but does anyone else have the issue where you workout the same every week, pretty much eat the same every week but one week you lose three to four pounds and the other week you hold at the exact same weight?  I ‘m happy I’ve lost 15 lbs over the last 10 weeks but a steady 1,5 lbs per week would be a lot more calming.  I’m worried each time I’ve hit a plateau.

I only weigh once a week because the daily fluctuations can really get me down.  Then I either give up on the workouts for a bit out of self pity or hurt myself due to trying to do too much.

I posted this earlier but don't go by weight. Measure yourself with tape. Set your goals by things other than weight. Weigh yourself less often than weekly.

I have no idea what your workout is but ideally you want to constantly challenge yourself. What was challenging 3 months ago shouldn't be challenging 3 months later. Obviously don't go crazy, fitness goals should be incremental.

Focus on health and fitness and don't worry about weight.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To add onto F250’s point, the body can be an incredibly smart and efficient machine, and it will eventually adapt to a workout routine after a few weeks where you reach a plateau, and muscle gain and fat loss will taper off. So it’s good to vary that routine.

You don’t have to go crazy. Just rotate in a few different exercises every month or two. Or for a couple weeks go heavier on the weights but lower reps, or vice versa (never sacrificing form of course – very important for us older guys). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, F250 said:

I have no idea what your workout is but ideally you want to constantly challenge yourself. What was challenging 3 months ago shouldn't be challenging 3 months later. Obviously don't go crazy, fitness goals should be incremental.

I got myself a NordicTrak S22i and have been going through different instructor led series since early December.  It's pretty cool in that it measures your performance and continues to increase the resistance and power output over the course of several workouts.  It's definitely working because just for shits and giggles I went back to a ride I did my second week that absolutely kicked my ass and this time around I got through it without feeling like I was about to pass out. 

My goal is to get back into some clothes I "outgrew" during COVID.  Right now my available wardrobe is just enough to get by but I got a bunch of other clothes that can go back in the rotation if I get in better shape.  I'd rather use them than go buy new shit.

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To add onto F250’s point, the body can be an incredibly smart and efficient machine, and it will eventually adapt to a workout routine after a few weeks where you reach a plateau, and muscle gain and fat loss will taper off. So it’s good to vary that routine.
You don’t have to go crazy. Just rotate in a few different exercises every month or two. Or for a couple weeks go heavier on the weights but lower reps, or vice versa (never sacrificing form of course – very important for us older guys). 

This is untrue as long as the stimulus is continually challenged and pushed in an upward trajectory by either an increase in volume or load.

You are correct the body is always trying to find the most efficient way to do something, but very few people have to worry about this because they don’t exert themselves in the gym to the level that would produce the kind of noticeable adaptations you’re referring to. Much like the people who are so worried about overtraining, there’s a misconception that this is easily achievable or common, but that couldn’t be further from the truth.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I hit my first target in my plan today which allows me to have a single scoop ice cream cone.  I think I'm going to wait until it's a little warmer before getting it though.

Giving up drinking was nothing for me, giving up ice cream has been a mother fucker.

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...