Op-ED by Turd Blossom

Gil Bang

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, something is going on.  Cruz can be a dumbass, but when he gives a speech on the floor in Congress, his words are chosen very carefully.  Those weren’t off-the-cuff remarks.  Calling them terrorists was a huge thing that’s going to piss off Trump and his base (and already has).  And now Karl puts this out there.   

Well, something seems to be afoot.  But, I fear that it is most likely the common occurrence of semi-sensible people (only semi) being afraid of Trump's psychotic behavior and endorsing it, only to find that the base eats it all the way up, and criticism is easily dismissed as "librul tears,"  and thus to reverse course immediately.

15 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

What are you talking about? Karl Rove, inarguably one of the “other side,” wrote an op Ed condemning the actions of Jan 6 and rightly pointing out that had democrats tried something similar bin 2016 the republicans would be apoplectic. That is a good thing. A very good thing. Cruz is calling them terrorists. Cheney is on the select committee

But hey if you want a war get a gun and go shoot a trumpkin. Why sit on your hands any longer?

Where was Rove during Trump’s second impeachment? We know where Cruz was. He was in the Senate voting for Trump’s acquittal.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

It's not a good sign, my friend, that you think we're the ones who are unhinged.

You're not a partisan hack. You're a smart guy. Things aren't fine, and this really isn't the time to even think, "we'll see." You're not spouting optimism, but I wonder at the gap between our perceptions.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Where was Rove during Trump’s second impeachment? We know where Cruz was. He was in the Senate voting for Trump’s acquittal.

So you would rather they say nothing or support the insurrectionists?

5 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

It's not a good sign, my friend, that you think we're the ones who are unhinged.

You're not a partisan hack. You're a smart guy. Things aren't fine, and this really isn't the time to even think, "we'll see." You're not spouting optimism, but I wonder at the gap between our perceptions.

Pointing out a bad take does not mean I think you are unhinged. I have never said things are fine.

I find it encouraging that mainstream republicans are publicly speaking out against the insurrection and in Rove’s case calling for the leaders and organizers to be punished (would have been nice had he named names but this was still good). Kind of amazing to me that you don’t agree

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Pointing out a bad take does not mean I think you are unhinged. I have never said things are fine.

I find it encouraging that mainstream republicans are publicly speaking out against the insurrection and in Rove’s case calling for the leaders and organizers to be punished (would have been nice had he named names but this was still good). Kind of amazing to me that you don’t agree

Sure, I guess it's mildly encouraging that after years of enabling, or at best, silence, they said something.  But it's akin to Japanese military strategists making a speech in saying they shouldn't have bombed Pearl Harbor after the Battle of Midway.

I dunno. I think it is entirely possible to think it good that people speak out against it. (even though as I mentioned earlier, Rove is trying to maintain relevancy). And in coordination with that, to think that someone is a dirtbag. It's just that unless you don't mind being Charlie Brown staring at the sky, maybe don't run up to the football until you find a different holder.

Let him speak, don't give him an inch of sympathy, and move on. He probably has another book in the works or something.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Sure, I guess it's mildly encouraging that after years of enabling, or at best, silence, they said something.  But it's akin to Japanese military strategists making a speech in saying they shouldn't have bombed Pearl Harbor after the Battle of Midway.

At that point in the war those strategists would have been shot, and our leaders would be more than mildly encouraged by the dissent

5 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

You want Karl Rove to hang?

If he had any material role in an attack on my country, yes, I do.  Just like I supporting the harshest of consequences for anyone who had a material role in attacking my country on 9/11.

If he didn't......then I want him to fucking acknowledge he helped build the very monster he now condemns.  Otherwise, by failing to tell the whole truth, he's just telling a different flavor of lie.  He's still a liar, so he gets zero admiration from me.

3 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

And this.

They fucking stoked this shit, they built the monster, they told the monster how to act......and then when the monster does what monsters do, they cry "oh no, that's monstrous?"  Fuck them in the goat ass.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

You want Karl Rove to hang?

Rove was smart enough to keep the silent parts silent. His successors thrive on saying the quite part out loud. Rove laid the groundwork, and his little "both sides" comment removes any credibility from his statement. He also doesn't seem to have much sway these days. Cruz seems to be the only participant backtracking at this point, and I guarantee it's because he thinks repercussions might be forthcoming. The second anything changes, he'll be right back on the trump train. 

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

At that point in the war those strategists would have been shot, and our leaders would be more than mildly encouraged by the dissent

Pay careful attention to how the MAGAsphere treats Rove and Cruz.  Your prediction is accurate.

See Tucker Carlson.....https://www.thedailybeast.com/tucker-carlson-scolds-ted-cruz-for-calling-jan-6-a-terrorist-attack-asks-what-the-hell-is-going-on

“Now let’s be honest,” Carlson proclaimed. “Everyone who’s conservative appreciates Ted Cruz. You may not like him. But you’ve gotta appreciate him. He’s legitimately smart. He’s one of the more articulate people to serve in Congress, maybe the most articulate.”

Claiming Cruz “doesn’t use a single word by accident,” Carlson noted that Cruz is a “lawyer” and “every word” the senator says is “used intentionally.” He then mocked the notion that anyone could rationally think it’s an insurrection when a seditious mob violently storms the seat of government to overthrow an election.

“He described Jan. 6 as a violent terrorist attack. Of all the things Jan. 6 was, it was definitely not a violent terrorist attack. It wasn’t an insurrection,” Carlson exclaimed. “Was it a riot? Sure. It was not a violent terrorist attack. Sorry! So why are you telling us it was, Ted Cruz?”

He concluded: “What the hell’s going on here? You’re making us think, maybe the Republican Party is as worthless as we suspected it was. That can’t be true. Reassure us, please, Ted Cruz.”

Translation: Ted, you have one chance to get right with the MAGAsphere....or face the consequences.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

If he had any material role in an attack on my country, yes, I do.  Just like I supporting the harshest of consequences for anyone who had a material role in attacking my country on 9/11.

If he didn't......then I want him to fucking acknowledge he helped build the very monster he now condemns.  Otherwise, by failing to tell the whole truth, he's just telling a different flavor of lie.  He's still a liar, so he gets zero admiration from me.

And this.

They fucking stoked this shit, they built the monster, they told the monster how to act......and then when the monster does what monsters do, they cry "oh no, that's monstrous?"  Fuck them in the goat ass.

I never said Rove or any of the others is worthy of admiration.  I never said they should be able to avoid any of the consequences their actions will or may bring them. That’s a non sequitur.

Any republicans of note condemning the insurrection or calling out the leaders and organizers is a good thing. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Pay careful attention to how the MAGAsphere treats Rove and Cruz.  Your prediction is accurate.

See Tucker Carlson.....https://www.thedailybeast.com/tucker-carlson-scolds-ted-cruz-for-calling-jan-6-a-terrorist-attack-asks-what-the-hell-is-going-on

Translation: Ted, you have one chance to get right with the MAGAsphere....or face the consequences.

Of course. And that’s my point. A schism in the party seems more likely than ever. Again that is a good thing

I generally like W as a human. I think his heart is in the right place but he was manipulated by folks within his administration like Cheney and Rove into some pretty horrific policy in hindsight. While Rove is appearing to play "nice" here, he certainly shares some of the blame for Trump. I feel that nothing really changed all that much except that Trump is simply saying the quiet parts out loud. (I will add as a former member of the journalistic world, I'm appalled at how Trump has single-handedly destroyed a once mostly-noble profession. Of course he's been aided by the internet-at-large and, perhaps more specifically, Facebook.)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, something seems to be afoot.  But, I fear that it is most likely the common occurrence of semi-sensible people (only semi) being afraid of Trump's psychotic behavior and endorsing it, only to find that the base eats it all the way up, and criticism is easily dismissed as "librul tears,"  and thus to reverse course immediately.

Remember when Cruz pretended he had a spine in 2016....

Ted Cruz on Tuesday unloaded on Donald Trump, accusing him during a news conference of being a “pathological liar,” “utterly amoral,” “a narcissist at a level I don’t think this country’s ever seen” and “a serial philanderer.”

“He is proud of being a serial philanderer … he describes his own battles with venereal diseases as his own personal Vietnam,” Cruz said, citing a decades-old Trump appearance on “The Howard Stern Show.”

The Texas senator’s dramatic and deeply personal attack on Trump comes as polls indicate Trump is poised to claim victory in Cruz’s must-win state of Indiana and follow accusations the front-runner made about Cruz’s father.

The epic takedown of his opponent on an all-important voting day was extraordinary even by the standards of the 2016 campaign – and quickly drew a scathing response from Trump.

“This man is a pathological liar, he doesn’t know the difference between truth and lies … in a pattern that is straight out of a psychology text book, he accuses everyone of lying,” Cruz said as Indiana voters headed to cast their ballots.

“Whatever lie he’s telling, at that minute he believes it … the man is utterly amoral,” Cruz told reporters. “Donald is a bully … bullies don’t come from strength they come from weakness.”

Sad Ted Cruz phone-banking for Donald Trump is a pretty great meme - The  Washington Post

Fuck that fat spineless pussy. nobody likes that twat.

• Hook 'Em 5

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I generally like W as a human. I think his heart is in the right place but he was manipulated by folks within his administration like Cheney and Rove into some pretty horrific policy in hindsight. While Rove is appearing to play "nice" here, he certainly shares some of the blame for Trump. I feel that nothing really changed all that much except that Trump is simply saying the quiet parts out loud. (I will add as a former member of the journalistic world, I'm appalled at how Trump has single-handedly destroyed a once mostly-noble profession. Of course he's been aided by the internet-at-large and, perhaps more specifically, Facebook.)

I would add it’s disappointing that W has stayed quiet on this and the only reason I can think he has is to protect his nephew’s political interests. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Remember when Cruz pretended he had a spine in 2016....

Sad Ted Cruz phone-banking for Donald Trump is a pretty great meme - The  Washington Post

Fuck that fat spineless pussy. nobody likes that twat.

Exactly what I had in mind.  Along with Foxturds texting Meadows "he's got to stop this" followed days later by "Antifa false flag!"  "Nothingberder!"  And countless other examples of similar heel turns when it became apparent that there would not be short-term consequences.

Edited by TwiceHorn

5 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I would add it’s disappointing that W has stayed quiet on this and the only reason I can think he has is to protect his nephew’s political interests. 

His nephew seems like a gigantic tool

Just now, SizzleChest said:

Another way of looking at this, combined with Biden's strong rhetoric today, is that the 1/6 committee has some motherfucking receipts.

Going to be an interesting Spring.

No it won't.

"Consequences" are an antiquated notion, unsuited for the New Age.  Those in power simply opt out of them, voila.

• Rage+1 1

32 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

If 35% of the Japanese people believed that it was really the Germans that bombed Pearl Harbor, and the Japanese political leadership in power at the time of the bombing were still telling the people it was the Germans, then this would have been a helpful speech that the strategists gave...

You may hate Karl Rove, after all who doesn't. But to see all of these thread comments trashing Rove's statement today makes no sense. You complain about the behavior of the Republican Party, but when someone finally does something and says something to actually help address the problem, you trash him anyway? Just look at Liz Cheney and Romney for what happens when you speak out.  We should never, ever give someone shit for speaking out against wrongdoings, no matter what party they are from. Sawbonz and to some extent TwiceHorn, as I would expect, bring a much more level-headed view to the topic.

• Hook 'Em 9

6 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Family over country? then fuck him, too. This country is teetering on something awful and W is worried what happens to his dumbfuck nephew? Trump endorsed paxton anyway and George still sucks Trump off on the regular. Idiots. Every single one of them. 

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

No it won't.

"Consequences" are an antiquated notion, unsuited for the New Age.  Those in power simply opt out of them, voila.

Exactly. whose going to enforce what exactly. In the off chance that a few people do get thrown in jail, I'm sure the GOP president in 2024 will just pardon them all as patriots who saved the republic. The idea of some inherent concept of "Right vs Wrong" is a nice ideal, but what matters is Dem vs GOP, and the self interests of our elected officials. 

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

You may hate Karl Rove, after all who doesn't. But to see all of these thread comments trashing Rove's statement today makes no sense. You complain about the behavior of the Republican Party, but when someone finally does something and says something to actually help address the problem, you trash him anyway? Just look at Liz Cheney and Romney for what happens when you speak out.  We should never, ever give someone shit for speaking out against wrongdoings, no matter what party they are from. Sawbonz and to some extent TwiceHorn, as I would expect, bring a much more level-headed view to the topic.

giphy.gif

That said, I go back to what I said last night (or maybe this AM). I appreciate that he said/wrote it but nobody that matters will read/listen to it. Kind of scary when Rove is the adult in the room. We're in a war for this country's soul and his side has so poisoned the well that there's no coming back for 1/3 of this country. None.

I've finally discovered that the lunatics on the left are far less dangerous to America than those on the right. (And there appear to be more of them.)

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

And part of that is the past presidential tradition of not criticizing the current guy, kind of an-only-we-know-how-hard-this-job-is type situation that he probably heeded to. I would argue that Trump was so horrific that traditional mores are thrown out the window, especially when the country's future might be at stake.

Just now, Bateshorn said:

Fuck Karl Rove. Because he had visions of a Paris in 1944 political moment following 9/11, there are literally hundreds of thousand of Iraqi’s, Syrians, and Kurds who are now dead.  He’s a complete piece of shit. 

Did anyone say he isn’t?

13 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

If 35% of the Japanese people believed that it was really the Germans that bombed Pearl Harbor, and the Japanese political leadership in power at the time of the bombing were still telling the people it was the Germans, then this would have been a helpful speech that the strategists gave...

You do realize that in 2022, there is a very, very reasonable chance that 35% of Americans think the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor, right?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

What are you talking about? Karl Rove, inarguably one of the “other side,” wrote an op Ed condemning the actions of Jan 6 and rightly pointing out that had democrats tried something similar bin 2016 the republicans would be apoplectic. That is a good thing. A very good thing. Cruz is calling them terrorists. Cheney is on the select committee

But hey if you want a war get a gun and go shoot a trumpkin. Why sit on your hands any longer?

This is just him washing his hands of any responsibility for the fire he absolutely helped fucking start. Karl Rove may have more responsibility than any other person on earth not named Donald Trump for the widespread belief among Republican voters that Democrats cheat to win elections. He made the big lie years before Trump ever really got involved in national politics. He's kept it quiet, but he was almost certainly deeply involved in vote caging targeted at African American servicemembers. And in March of this year he was defending the GOP's latest voter suppression efforts.

He doesn't deserve credit for saying 1/6 was bad and doing nothing else. If he actually gave a fuck about American democracy, he'd admit to his decades of lies and ratfucking and sincerely repent. I expect Donald Trump to tell Don Jr. he loves him and he's proud of him before that ever happens.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It's like the iceberg rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic. The second action doesn't register much with me in light of the first one.

You indeed do not say everything will be fine. You say we'll see which suggests inaction and patience to me. Such things, IMHO, will facilitate the downfall.

Written respectfully.

18 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

This is just him washing his hands of any responsibility for the fire he absolutely helped fucking start. Karl Rove may have more responsibility than any other person on earth not named Donald Trump for the widespread belief among Republican voters that Democrats cheat to win elections. He made the big lie years before Trump ever really got involved in national politics. He's kept it quiet, but he was almost certainly deeply involved in vote caging targeted at African American servicemembers. And in March of this year he was defending the GOP's latest voter suppression efforts.

He doesn't deserve credit for saying 1/6 was bad and doing nothing else. If he actually gave a fuck about American democracy, he'd admit to his decades of lies and ratfucking and sincerely repent. I expect Donald Trump to tell Don Jr. he loves him and he's proud of him before that ever happens.

Well, as others have said, I'll take anyone of any significance speaking some truth about 1/6. 

Whether it constitutes an adequate "moral cleansing" is a different issue.

Same w/r/to Lincoln Project.

To a certain extent, imposing this kind of "purity test" on these people is why the Democratic Party can't get anything done.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

It's like the iceberg rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic. The second action doesn't register much with me in light of the first one.

You indeed do not say everything will be fine. You say we'll see which suggests inaction and patience to me. Such things, IMHO, will facilitate the downfall.

Written respectfully.

This makes no sense, respectfully. You would rather he had kept quiet? As for inaction, how does it follow from my “we’ll see” reply to brisket’s Armageddon prediction that I think nothing needs to be done? 

I won't say it's of literally zero value, but when these guys spend one day a year decrying the natural consequences of their words and actions, and the other 364 days repeating the words and actions that led to the violence, the one good day sure isn't worth much. I'm not willing to give them any significant credit until they're willing to publicly acknowledge the role they played in starting the fire and why the things they said and did were wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1

Good for them for doing less than the barest minimum that should be expected from them. But hey, at least they didn’t kill any puppies today so I guess for that they should be commended.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Exactly.  To suggest that, as @wildcat09 did, that unless he also throws himself down in repentance for all past sins his condemnation of the Jan 6th events and those who continue to try to whitewash it holds no merit is foolhardy.  He isn't going to do that.  The piece on its face is important, albeit of limited impact.  He has nothing really to lose.  Until others who are actually in elected office take what should be the simple and obvious similar position, and speak out openly, then the R's will never be able to separate themselves from responsibility for the damage to our democracy that Trump has inflicted.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Until others who are actually in elected office take what should be the simple and obvious similar position, and speak out openly, then the R's will never be able to separate themselves from responsibility for the damage to our democracy that Trump has inflicted.

But [spoiler alert]......that's not going to happen.  No matter how many Roves come out and say "attacking our country is bad."  It's too late.  The die is cast.  There is no going back.

The GQP cannot ever be converted.  It can only win, or be defeated.

But [spoiler alert]......that's not going to happen.  No matter how many Roves come out and say "attacking our country is bad."  It's too late.  The die is cast.  There is no going back.

The GQP cannot ever be converted.  It can only win, or be defeated.

Agreed.  But we cannot be a one party nation.  That will truly result in revolution as too many voices would go unrepresented.  SOME version of the Republican party has to emerge from the ashes.  We can only pray it is one that has purged Trumpism 100% from its platform.

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

Agreed.  But we cannot be a one party nation.  That will truly result in revolution as too many voices would go unrepresented.  SOME version of the Republican party has to emerge from the ashes.  We can only pray it is one that has purged Trumpism 100% from its platform.

Ummmmm.....we're GOING to be a one-party nation.  It's not going to be the party you want it to be.  The Party will deem allegiance to any opposition disloyalty to the state, and will treat it accordingly.

That's how fascism works.