Confederate Heroes' Day - Jan 19

crash_davis

I guess the Texas Comptroller's office recognizes Confederate Heroes' Day, Jan 19, as an official holiday. Only a "skeleton crew" is required at work. For comparison, MLK day on June 17, the office is Closed. Also for comparison, Texas Independence Day and San Jacinto Day also only require a "skeleton crew".

https://comptroller.texas.gov/about/holidays.php

STATE OF TEXAS HOLIDAY SCHEDULE

Fiscal Year 2022

Holiday Agency Status Date Day of Week
Labor Day Office Closed 09-06-21 Monday
Rosh Hashanah Optional Holiday 09-07-21 Tuesday
Rosh Hashanah Optional Holiday 09-08-21 Wednesday
Yom Kippur Optional Holiday 09-16-21 Thursday
Veterans Day Office Closed 11-11-21 Thursday
Thanksgiving Day Office Closed 11-25-21 Thursday
Day After Thanksgiving Office Closed 11-26-21 Friday
Christmas Eve Day Office Closed 12-24-21 Friday
Christmas Day   12-25-21 Saturday
Day After Christmas   12-26-21 Sunday
New Year's Day   01-01-22 Saturday
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Office Closed 01-17-22 Monday
Confederate Heroes' Day Skeleton Crew Required 01-19-22 Wednesday
Presidents' Day Office Closed 02-21-22 Monday
Texas Independence Day Skeleton Crew Required 03-02-22 Wednesday
Cesar Chavez Day Optional Holiday 03-31-22 Thursday
Good Friday Optional Holiday 04-15-22 Friday
San Jacinto Day Skeleton Crew Required 04-21-22 Thursday
Memorial Day Office Closed 05-30-22 Monday
Emancipation Day   06-19-22 Sunday
Independence Day Office Closed 07-04-22 Monday
LBJ Day   08-27-22 Saturday

I don't give a shit. People are making up holidays for all diff types of people. The more holidays to get off work, the merrier. 

But I am wrong in thinking Confederate Heroes' Day is a WFT holiday for the state to recognize. Isn't it like if Germany had a Nazi Heroes' Day on May 8, the day Germany surrendered to the US? I would think that certainly would be a WTF holiday.

I need to convince my company to recognize this holiday. If I can get another paid off day for celebrating a bunch of fucking losers, then I'm all for it.

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Was there a hero on the Confederates' side?

I think if you take up arms to repel an invasion of your state/nation/village...you are considered a hero.  But but they started the war by seceding.  

If you win a war, you are considered a hero.  Hence the term "A Hero's Welcome" upon return home.  

So these guys did neither, they started the war and then they lost it.  I mean, yeah...I'm sure there were some individual acts of heroism by confederate soldiers, dragging a wounded brother-in-arms behind some trees to hide him and treat his wounds.  But that happens every day somewhere in the world, we don't get a state holiday for it.  

Isn't this 1/19 bullshit just really Robert E. Lee's birthday?  People get more time off for Lee's birthday than Jesus'.  Let's give a rest and just axe the day.  Besides, most Confederate fans I know are taking today off to mark the real heroes of patriotism.  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I think if you take up arms to repel an invasion of your state/nation/village...you are considered a hero.  But but they started the war by seceding.  

If you win a war, you are considered a hero.  Hence the term "A Hero's Welcome" upon return home.  

So these guys did neither, they started the war and then they lost it.  I mean, yeah...I'm sure there were some individual acts of heroism by confederate soldiers, dragging a wounded brother-in-arms behind some trees to hide him and treat his wounds.  But that happens every day somewhere in the world, we don't get a state holiday for it.  

Isn't this 1/19 bullshit just really Robert E. Lee's birthday?  People get more time off for Lee's birthday than Jesus'.  Let's give a rest and just axe the day.  Besides, most Confederate fans I know are taking today off to mark the real heroes of patriotism.  

Poor White People Didn't start the war #BillyJoel

• Like 1

Robert E. Lee was definitely one. He was wildly popular on the other side as well and it was not unusual for him to sign autographs when he visited up north. 

For 20 years I had pictures of Bobby Lee and Freddie Douglass in my office. Two men with all the perfect reasons to be bitter, who rose above hate and revenge and sought the better angels of their nature.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Well I know what Gov. Abbott has chosen to do with his Confederate Heroes Day off?

Just secretly announced that he will be headlining the Texas Public Policy Foundation policy conference that day! Woo-Hoo!  Nothing like roping in the base away from Huffines on this most fucked up of Texas holidays.  

6 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Lee was a traitor and a war criminal.  He should have hung.

Actually, he was against secession. He chose to fight alongside his people, which most did in that war. That’s really beside the point though, he’ll be remembered for his military genius. 

• Fuck You 2

Just now, Poe It Up said:

Actually, he was against secession. He chose to fight alongside his people, which most did in that war. That’s really beside the point though, he’ll be remembered for his military genius. 

And for being a traitor and war criminal who should've hanged.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 8

10 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

So he was still a traitor. And I think Gettysburg might have something to say about his “genius”

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

It is very obviously coincidental and not at all purposeful that we get Confederate Heroes' Day in the same week as MLK Day.  Very smooth, Texas.

It actually is coincidental. It's Lee's birthday and predates MLK Day as a state holiday. 

2 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

It is very obviously coincidental and not at all purposeful that we get Confederate Heroes' Day in the same week as MLK Day.  Very smooth, Texas.

It was definitely intentional. I believe a bill to make MLK Day a state holiday was being proposed during the same session when Confederate Heroes Day was added instead.

This article gives some history about Confederates Day and a proposed MLK Day back in '73.

Three days later, the Senate committee that had bottled up the MLK Day bill sent it along to the full Senate, but it never got a vote. Instead, the upper chamber okayed Confederate Heroes Day, and Texas’s newest state holiday was born. Though the United States would formally recognize King’s birthday as a legal holiday in 1984, it did not become an official state holiday in Texas until 1991. (At least forty-four states had already recognized the holiday by then. The last was South Carolina in 2000.)

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/texas-confederate-heroes-day-abolish/

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

So he was still a traitor. And I think Gettysburg might have something to say about his “genius”

I would say that Gettysburg was the beginning of the end, but the war was always going to be a union victory. 

It’s interesting because the Meade had the high ground and Lee was without JEB Stuart’s Calvary that served as his eyes and ears. If the union soldiers hadn’t of held at Cemetery Hill, it may have been a confederate victory. It’s hard to imagine how much guts it took to hold that line. 

• Fuck You 1

54 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

He took an oath to defend the Constitution of the United States and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same.  He violated his oath and betrayed his country.  It was treason, and there's really no way to defend it.

The fact that he was against secession and then fought for secession only makes it worse.  He knew it was wrong, and still he defended it.

And he was no military genius.  He was a great tactician.  But he was a poor strategist and a terrible logistician.  

That's correct.

He fought for his people, not secession. It doesn’t make him any less of a traitor and although it’s a narrow distinction, I think it’s a deep one. 

His victory at Chancellorsville and his ability to grind larger armies to a stand still makes him a genius in my eyes. But to each their own I suppose. 

• Fuck You 2

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Why don't we afford Rommel the same benefit of the doubt?  

Isn't that the case regarding Rommel? His treatment is pretty similar to that of Lee where there is some revisionist attempt to separate both from the cause that they fought for despite the fact that they fought for that cause.

Yes, which is why I brought him up.  1000 brilliant tactical and strategic Wehrmacht senior officers.  Many of whom never joined the party or knew of the Final Solution to the Jewish Question.  And rightfully so, they have all been stricken from the record of time.  Known only for their crimes, they are but footnotes of history...barely acknowledged by the nation that birthed them. 

And what does the American South do?  Erects statues, cenotaphs, and museums to every two-bit fucking Lt. Colonel that ever wanted to defend the notion of owning other human beings.  Not in the biblical era, in the middle century of the American Republic.  

Every last Confederate statute comes down and every last Confederate sympathizer is hung because it is right and it is just.  Piss on Lee's grave.  Rommel endures for one simple reason...he conspired to end the evil madness.  All these Oakley wearing, two-bit shitheap Southern fuckheads would have done was help Jefferson Davis kill those who weren't loyal.  

Rommel was afforded his historical legacy because he was a token offering that should this happen again, even the most brilliant military tacticians who questioned the evil purpose should be recused.  One of the last nations on Earth to acknowledge that owning humans was wrong...and we think to spare Lee or anyone else on that side...let alone erect monuments in their honor? 

These "Confederate Heroes" had their moment, they were wrong, they were hate-filled, and they lost.  You can do one of the three...but not all three.  If you do, you should be vanquished from the Earth and your existence erased from the record except to serve as a warning as your village is burned to the ground and your skull is mocked in public as we shit on its way down the scaffold.  Know when you're wrong, know you're defeated, that your children may live to correct your errors. 

Edited by Lobo

2 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

I would say that Gettysburg was the beginning of the end, but the war was always going to be a union victory. 

It’s interesting because the Meade had the high ground and Lee was without JEB Stuart’s Calvary that served as his eyes and ears. If the union soldiers hadn’t of held at Cemetery Hill, it may have been a confederate victory. It’s hard to imagine how much guts it took to hold that line. 

If Lee had given clear orders to Dick Ewell and Jubal Early Instead of relying on his direct subordinates to take extraordinary initiative (ala Jackson and Longstreet) he would have bypassed the skirmishes in town to push for the heights.  But instead he sent a “go win shit” order and lost the initiative. And the battle.  He benefited enormously early in the war from fighting against political appointees who didn’t know shit about war.  Once he started to run up against seasoned veterans of the early civil war and Mexican American war, his genius slide away rather quick. 

You all also should whisper a small prayer to Chamberlain for holding on little round top so you didn’t grow up in an Apartheid nation. 

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yes, which is why I brought him up.  1000 brilliant tactical and strategic Wehrmacht senior officers.  Many of whom never joined the party or knew of the Final Solution to the Jewish Question.  And rightfully so, they have all been stricken from the record of time.  Known only for their crimes, they are but footnotes of history...barely acknowledged by the nation that birthed them. 

And what does the American South do?  Erects statues, cenotaphs, and museums to every two-bit fucking Lt. Colonel that ever wanted to defend the notion of owning other human beings.  Not in the biblical era, in the middle century of the American Republic.  

Every last Confederate statute comes down and every last Confederate sympathizer is hung because it is right and it is just.  Piss on Lee's grave.  Rommel endures for one simple reason...he conspired to end the evil madness.  All these Oakley wearing, two-bit shitheap Southern fuckheads would have done was help Jefferson Davis kill those who weren't loyal.  

Rommel was afforded his historical legacy because he was a token offering that should this happen again, even the most brilliant military tacticians who questioned the evil purpose should be recused.  One of the last nations on Earth to acknowledge that owning humans was wrong...and we think to spare Lee or anyone else on that side...let alone erect monuments in their honor? 

These "Confederate Heroes" had their moment, they were wrong, they were hate-filled, and they lost.  You can do one of the three...but not all three.  If you do, you should be vanquished from the Earth and your existence erased from the record except to serve as a warning as your village is burned to the ground and your skull is mocked in public as we shit on its way down the scaffold.  Know when you're wrong, know you're defeated, that your children may live to correct your errors. 

I believe Rommel's white washing as well as the Wehrmacht's was just propaganda created by the Allies to justify German Rearmement to deal with the Soviet threat. They were painted as apolitical honorable soldiers that had nothing to do with Nazism despite the obvious fact that they literally fought on behalf of Nazi Germany. I am aware that some of this started as a defense during the Numberg trials but this myth was rubber stamped by the Allies because Stalin was the new enemy.

Rommel's fabricated legacy exists because we needed his legacy to exist.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, F250 said:

I believe Rommel's white washing as well as the Wehrmacht's was just propaganda created by the Allies to justify German Rearmement to deal with the Soviet threat. They were painted as apolitical honorable soldiers that had nothing to do with Nazism despite the obvious fact that they literally fought on behalf of Nazi Germany. I am aware that some of this started as a defense during the Numberg trials but this myth was rubber stamped by the Allies because Stalin was the new enemy.

Anyone who has read Rise and Fall knows the Wehrmacht was balls deep in Nazism. Some of them were more apathetic than others, but at no point did they do the right thing until it was way, way too late.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

Robert E. Lee was definitely one. He was wildly popular on the other side as well and it was not unusual for him to sign autographs when he visited up north. 

Sounds like an incredible guy. Maybe instead of a civil war, he could have challenged Lincoln to an autograph popularity contest.

40Sa.gif

Edited by TheRealRonWeaver?

He fought for his people, not secession.

This is a false distinction.  "His people" were a bunch of secessionists.  They had exactly one goal: to secede from the Union so that they could preserve an economy based on human slave labor.  As soon as Lee put on that Confederate gray, he was a secessionist by definition, the same as any Crusader general was a Crusader and any Nazi general was a Nazi.

Trying to defend him by portraying him as a simple mercenary who led men into battle for a paycheck even though he didn't believe in their mission simply doesn't work.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

This is a false distinction.  "His people" were a bunch of secessionists.  They had exactly one goal: to secede from the Union so that they could preserve an economy based on human slave labor.  As soon as Lee put on that Confederate gray, he was a secessionist by definition, the same as any Crusader general was a Crusader and any Nazi general was a Nazi.

Trying to defend him by portraying him as a simple mercenary who led men into battle for a paycheck even though he didn't believe in their mission simply doesn't work.

The point about secession was more for clarification, rather than a defense of his actions. I think one can acknowledge that he was defending slavery as an institution and also be fascinated by his military leadership. He’s a complicated figure, but I love the topic. My apologies for ruffling any feathers. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, F250 said:

That and the History Channel knew that Nazi Germany gets eyeballs which gets advertising bucks, so let's downplay the Final Solution for the last 25 years and play up all of the military shit they did.

The point about secession was more for clarification, rather than a defense of his actions. I think one can acknowledge that he was defending slavery as an institution and also be fascinated by his military leadership. He’s a complicated figure, but I love the topic. My apologies for ruffling any feathers. 

Oh go fuck yourself. He was a traitor. It’s not more complicated than that. 

7 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Having stood on both sides of the field at Gettysburg more than once I can say conclusively that he was no “genius” in that battle. In less than an hour his decision to send his troops forward across that field effectively ended any chance they would ever have to even come to a truce or peace agreement. The traitors were never going to win that war, but his actions at Gettysburg, especially that charge where thousands did not come back across the field, ended the competitive part of the conflict.

• Hook 'Em 5

10 hours ago, F250 said:

Don't forget the "good nazi", Albert Speer.  That motherfucker used slave labor in war production, to extend the war at least a year and he was shown as the conscience of the nazi party...the reluctant nazi, if you will.   Complete white-washing. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Having stood on both sides of the field at Gettysburg more than once I can say conclusively that he was no “genius” in that battle. In less than an hour his decision to send his troops forward across that field effectively ended any chance they would ever have to even come to a truce or peace agreement. The traitors were never going to win that war, but his actions at Gettysburg, especially that charge where thousands did not come back across the field, ended the competitive part of the conflict.

This.  Once Lee failed to gain the heights at Gettysburg, it was clear the battle was lost by anyone who has viewed the battlefield.  That he dragged it out for 3 more days instead of strategically retreating, as Longstreet implored him to do, is the clearest indicator of his lack of true tactical acumen. 

There’s a reason it’s Sherman, not Lee, who is still widely taught at Military academies as the true genius of the war.  The fact that we still discuss Lee in terms other than him being a traitor and oathbreaker is a prime example of how we’ve re-historied (I.e. The Dunning School) the Civil War. 

It’s why historians urge Americans to incorporate race as one of the lens we view our past.  It drives many aspects of our culture.

• Hook 'Em 6