An Officer And A Gentleman

TOR

1 minute ago, Don Johnson said:

Who is talking about Richard Gere?

Obviously, Chappy is.  Hard to believe "Officer and a Gentleman" is now 40 years old.  Fuck me.

I like Keith David more than David Keith, but I guess the movie is ok. 

(David Keith is from Tennessee, and became great buds with fellow Vol Bill Bates, though I’m not sure how, as Keith is a lot older. He was always on the sidelines at Dallas home games, funny to see how scrawny actual movie actors are.)

• Hook 'Em 2

Apparently the script and filming featured A LOT more of Robert Loggia, Mayo's father. The original story had a lot more father-son dynamic, and in fact at the graduation scene when Mayo says he's going to get his first salute, he was actually referring to getting one from his father who had attended the ceremony (remember the whole opening scene in the fleabag motel when Loggia is trying to talk him out of wasting 6 years of his life and Gere shoots back that maybe he's just afraid he'll have to salute his son some day). They filmed the scene, but it was cut. The director decided--rightly so--that the salute Foley gave to Mayo was more powerful and having two first salutes was unnecessary. Loggia was pissed that all but one scene of his ended up on the cutting room floor.

Other fascinating trivia:

• John Denver was originally offered the role of Mayo
  • John Travolta, Jeff Bridges and Christopher Reed auditioned, but Gere was Hackford's choice
  • R. Lee Ermery was originally cast as Foley, but Hackford chose Gossett and had Ermery serve as technical advisor
  • Sigourney Weaver was originally cast to play Paula, then Anjelica Houston and Jennifer Jason Leigh who dropped out to film Fast Times at Ridgemont High
  • Debra Winger didn't have an agent so she worked her own contract, but didn't think to add a 'no nudity' clause. She was pissed when the final script had her nude in the love scene

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Wait, wait, wait. Ian Eagle puts rodents up his butt?!? Does he do it before kickoff or does he wait until the telecast is over?

Jim Spanarkel refused to do it anymore before Nets games, so they hired Sarah Kustok in his place. 

Cant explain it but always liked the shoe shine scene and let us not forget the very adorable and cute Lisa Eilbacher. 

1 hour ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:
  • R. Lee Ermery was originally cast as Foley, but Hackford chose Gossett and had Ermery serve as technical advisor

Would have been so awesome. 

But Gossett was also intimidated as hell.  I had a drill instructor that was nearly the spitting image of Gossett's character.  Well, he was Army and so didn't do the gerbil stuff, but still could have been a double for Gossett.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

My wife loves this movie. I watch it to laugh at the kickboxing scene. Plus peak Debra Winger gets very naked. 

You can do a lot worse on date night. 

I haven't seen this movie in a really long time and don't remember the nude scene so I Googled it.

Debra Winger would get it good.

So there's a pretty fascinating backstory about the Oscar winning theme song, Up Where We Belong. The producers wanted a single they could release to promote the film, but they didn't have any money. The music for the song is actually just the score that plays repeatedly throughout the movie. They hired a songwriter to write lyrics and he just cut the score together to fit his words.

Jennifer Warnes had wanted to sing a duet w/ Joe Cocker for a few years. A producer at Warner Brothers new her and she was dead set on getting Joe to do it. He thought it would be a bomb, but agreed anyway. The producers also thought it was a dud, and one of them bet another a hundred bucks that it would never chart.

And even though it was a huge career revival for Cocker, he apparently regretted the fact that it changed his image from a rock & soul singer to a balladeer. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

I like Keith David more than David Keith, but I guess the movie is ok. 

(David Keith is from Tennessee, and became great buds with fellow Vol Bill Bates, though I’m not sure how, as Keith is a lot older. He was always on the sidelines at Dallas home games, funny to see how scrawny actual movie actors are.)

Whenever I see either one of their names in a cast I always have to google to remember which is which. I think that proves I'm not racist.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Would have been so awesome. 

But Gossett was also intimidated as hell.  I had a drill instructor that was nearly the spitting image of Gossett's character.  Well, he was Army and so didn't do the gerbil stuff, but still could have been a double for Gossett.

Same here.  82nd, CIB, Heart, hard as hell and I swear he never slept, ever.   Made us do shit that was not in the books.  He was the best once you got to permanent party and realize a lot of NCO's just don't give a shit.  He was trying to keep us alive.

"Don't you eyeball me boy!"

Edited by TOR
  • Hook 'Em 2

Apparently the script and filming featured A LOT more of Robert Loggia, Mayo's father. The original story had a lot more father-son dynamic, and in fact at the graduation scene when Mayo says he's going to get his first salute, he was actually referring to getting one from his father who had attended the ceremony (remember the whole opening scene in the fleabag motel when Loggia is trying to talk him out of wasting 6 years of his life and Gere shoots back that maybe he's just afraid he'll have to salute his son some day). They filmed the scene, but it was cut. The director decided--rightly so--that the salute Foley gave to Mayo was more powerful and having two first salutes was unnecessary. Loggia was pissed that all but one scene of his ended up on the cutting room floor.
  • John Travolta, Jeff Bridges and Christopher Reed auditioned, but Gere was Hackford's choice
  • Sigourney Weaver was originally cast to play Paula, then Anjelica Houston and Jennifer Jason Leigh who dropped out to film Fast Times at Ridgemont High
  • Debra Winger didn't have an agent so she worked her own contract, but didn't think to add a 'no nudity' clause. She was pissed when the final script had her nude in the love scene

John Denver? The singer?

And Seeger would get it. I’d rub her belt buckles and help her up the wall.

6 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

How in the f*** did Debra Winger not have an agent after starting in Urban Cowboy?! 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Fuck you. Urban Cowboy is one of the great movies so bad they are good.

I think bill’s point was not to disparage Urban Cowboy but to point out she co-starred in a massively successful movie only two years earlier but still was without representation.

As far as Urban Cowboy goes if it’s on I’ll watch it to the end. Same for Saturday Night Fever and Grease. There. I said it 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

I think bill’s point was not to disparage Urban Cowboy but to point out she co-starred in a massively successful movie only two years earlier but still was without representation.

As far as Urban Cowboy goes if it’s on I’ll watch it to the end. Same for Saturday Night Fever and Grease. There. I said it 

Ah.

Well, again, if you look up the term “Difficult to work with” there’s probably a picture of Debra Winger. 

Debra Winger is the Aaron Rodgers of acting.  Or maybe Aaron Rodgers is the Debra Winger of football. 

Edited by Bateshorn