We need to talk about Scott Pruitt

Pods

Just now, Brisketexan said:

No, fucker -- we said "SAY TRUMP SHOULD RESIGN."

You have god-like powers.  Use them.*

*Also, say "Milana Vayntrub should totally hook up with Brisketexan."  Definitely say that.

Wait.  Did you say resign?  I thought you meant re-sign.

6 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Good riddance.  Who will replace him though?  Probably someone worse.  The alien overlords need this planet terraformed by 2020.

Andrew Wheeler

"Wheeler is a critic of nationwide limits on greenhouse gas emissions and has supported the continued use of fossil fuels."

So who is Andrew Wheeler? And what is it about his particular career trajectory that makes the White House, energy-company executives, and assorted climate deniers think he’s a perfect fit for the Trump-era EPA?

Well, for starters, his most recent job was as an energy lobbyist. His biggest clients included Murray Energy Corporation, which proudly bills itself as the largest coal mining company in America, and whose CEO, Robert E. Murray, vigorously fought the Obama administration’s attempts to reduce carbon emissions and strengthen environmental and public health laws. Shortly after Trump took office, Murray, an unabashed climate denier, presented Vice President Mike Pence with a ridiculously pro-coal “action plan” that called for doing away with the Clean Power Plan, withdrawing from the Paris climate agreement, eliminating federal tax credits for renewable energy, and—yes—halving the EPA’s workforce.

In his spare time, Wheeler serves as the vice president of the Washington Coal Club, a powerful yet little-known federation of more than 300 coal producers, lawmakers, business leaders, and policy experts who have dedicated themselves to preserving the uncertain future of our dirtiest fossil fuel. Wheeler clearly loves coal, but he’s also made time to lobby the U.S. Department of the Interior to open portions of the Bears Ears National Monument to uranium mining.

It gets worse. Before joining his current K Street lobbying firm, Wheeler worked as a legislative aide to Oklahoma Senator Jim Inhofe. Inhofe is without question the most virulent climate denier on Capitol Hill—a man who regularly refers to the science of climate change as “the greatest hoax” ever perpetrated on the American people and who told one radio interviewer that educating schoolchildren on the basics of climate science was tantamount to “brainwashing.” When Wheeler’s nomination was announced last year, Inhofe effusively praised the decision, saying that “there is no one more qualified than Andrew to help Scott Pruitt restore EPA to its proper size and scope.” (The italics are mine; the anxiety that they denote should be everybody’s.) In that same statement, Inhofe referred to Wheeler as his “close friend”; indeed, the two are close enough that Wheeler thought it perfectly appropriate to organize a fund-raiser for Inhofe last May, an act that many believe crossed ethical lines.

Edited by 4th&Five

2 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Andrew Wheeler

"Wheeler is a critic of nationwide limits on greenhouse gas emissions and has supported the continued use of fossil fuels."

Perfect.  We will be Venus in no time.  The lizard people will be able to walk around outside without suits in 2 years.

Edited by FondrenRoad

Pruitt is a vile, wretched excuse for a human being but of course nothing is going to change at the Trump/Pence EPA. A fossil fuel industry lobbyist is in charge. Policy will continue to be pro-industry, pro-pollution, anti-science, and anti-environmental protection. 

4 minutes ago, Jograves said:

His resignation letter is so gross. Barf.

It is really fucking weird.  It pays more deference to Trump than God, and makes him seem like a worshiper of Trump more than an employee of Trump's.  But we are talking about a guy that bought a used hotel mattress.

Edited by FondrenRoad

My desire in service to you has always been to bless you as you make important decisions for the American people. I believe you are serving as President today because of God’s providence. I believe that same providence brought me into your service. I pray as I have served you that I have blessed you and enabled you to effectively lead the American people. 

JFC.

That's some of the most embarrassing prose in American political history.*

*Excluding, of course, every single thing Trump has ever tweeted.  They have their own wing in the Hall of Shame.

Scott Pruitt says:

My desire in service to you has always been to bless you as you make important decisions for the American people. I believe you are serving as President today because of God’s providence. I believe that same providence brought me into your service. I pray as I have served you that I have blessed you and enabled you to effectively lead the American people.

Brazzers

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I believe you are serving as President today because of God’s providence.

Trump might be the result of "God's providence," but in the same way various floods, whirlwinds, plagues, and fires from angry-Old-Testament God were.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

It is really fucking weird.  It pays more deference to Trump than God, and makes him seem like a worshiper of Trump more than an employee of Trump's. of the American people.  But we are talking about a guy that bought a used hotel mattress.

I know we've lost sight of this with all the inanity of the past 17 months.  But JFC.  He is not and never was Trump's employee.  He, Sarah Sanders, and the entire cabinet have their salaries paid by us and work for us.  He owes his loyalty to the American people and the Constitution, not to a fake orange king.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

I know we've lost sight of this with all the inanity of the past 17 months.  But JFC.  He is not and never was Trump's employee.  He, Sarah Sanders, and the entire cabinet have their salaries paid by us and work for us.  He owes his loyalty to the American people and the Constitution, not to a fake orange king.

That's nice and all, but none of those people work for us even if they are supposed to.  I had already become used to the fact that they all worked to achieve Trump's goals rather than America's, and are all getting wealthy while doing so.  I expected the letter to thank Trump so that Pruitt could get his next job lined up.  I had not expected the resignation letter to read like a letter of worship, but it does.

2 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

That's nice and all, but none of those people work for us even if they are supposed to.  I had already become used to the fact that they all worked to achieve Trump's goals rather than America's, and are all getting wealthy while doing so.  I expected the letter to thank Trump so that Pruitt could get his next job lined up.  I had not expected the resignation letter to read like a letter of worship, but it does.

They could at least pay lip service to the American people.  Tillerson and McMaster did...which probably explains why they were fired.

37 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

It is really fucking weird.  It pays more deference to Trump than God, and makes him seem like a worshiper of Trump more than an employee of Trump's.  But we are talking about a guy that bought a used hotel mattress.

Aside:  The W hotel mattresses are fantastic.  We bought one new here about 8 years ago:  https://www.whotelsthestore.com/category.aspx?bed

38 minutes ago, LongestHorn said:

Trump put corrupt Pruitt in power.  Honest reporting exposed him.  Republicans will blame the reporters and appoint another big polluter science denier.

His corruption got in the way and made him less effective as a policy maker.  Its the big reason that for awhile I wasn't on the impeach Trump bandwagon.  The less time with a President Pence the better, because Pence is going to be quiet and work to get shit done, and Trump is going to keep throwing bombs and shooting himself in the dick.  I think I like my corruption on public display better than quiet competence when it comes to this form of Republican.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

Only because he was told that Trump and a Russian hooker had peed on it.

• Like 2

Do the investigations into Pruitt’s behavior still continue?  Given that all of his scandals seem to take 6+ months to come to light, there must still be some undiscovered ones out there.  

Yesterday Trump made some offhand remark to the press that there was no single, final straw [that led to Pruitt leaving.]. As some have pointed out, if Pruitt resigned on his own, there wouldn’t be talk of final straws from trump.