We need to talk about Scott Pruitt

Pods

37 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

CNN claiming Pruitt directly asked dotus to fire Sessions so Pruitt could take over.

It also said that after the 200 days, he was going back to Oklahoma to run for Governor.  That would have brought the lulz.

2 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Yet the “conservatives” on this board still won’t say shit.  They are all a bunch of pussies, just like President bone spurs.

John Kerry > Trump and his taint lickers w

Remember the days when they wanted every penny Obama spent accounted for?

14 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Yet the “conservatives” on this board still won’t say shit.  They are all a bunch of pussies, just like President bone spurs.

John Kerry > Trump and his taint lickers w

I forgot Surly was the end all be all of existence and life revolves around this board and internet board renunciation of cabinet members is the litmus test for political responsibility in our civic duty. Good grief. 

Pruitt is an asshat and should step down. Check the inter webs in one hour and see if my post worked and Pruitt resigned.

Edited by Newdoc

17 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

Remember the days when they wanted every penny Obama spent accounted for?

I spent a few hours last night looking through the CBO budgets, expenditures, etc, for the respective departments.  Spending, and steady increases to every part of the budget for everything, is pervasive.  It is not new.  It is shocking to see the budgets for the next 8 to 10 years already set, estimated, with automatic rises in every year building on themselves.  

I don't see a way around it unless the Congress takes severe action to freeze spending even at current levels and even that won't be enough.  Ryan sucks as a spending controller. But any attempted cut to anything brings out the crying police who would be affected by it.

We aren't silent.  There is nothing that can be done.  Dems, likely, are talking about giving even more away for free! (some form of Sanders or the bartender from Westchester in the Bronx)

Edited by zork

Yeah that’s how I remember it too. Dems get into power and immediately give everything away for free while Republicans do their very best to lower spending. Oh wait, no, that’s not how it’s worked at all during my lifetime. Why do you continue to believe that bullshit?  Because it is bullshit, @zork  

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Yeah that’s how I remember it too. Dems get into power and immediately give everything away for free while Republicans do their very best to lower spending. Oh wait, no, that’s not how it’s worked at all during my lifetime. Why do you continue to believe that bullshit?  Because it is bullshit, @zork  

Rubber stamp Ryan certainly has been a disappointment on the spending front.  CBO projects just ~1.9% real growth per year for the next X years.(nominal numbers much higher but higher expected inflation and an increase in interest rates as well)   

Can't blame it on Ryan though except to the extent that he was unable to lead for cuts in spending, anywhere.  Not seeing anyone with specific cuts listed anywhere.  So 'bullshit', as you say, it is.   

What I believe or don't is immaterial because what actually happens is what happens no matter what is said, promised, etc by the DC/Gov't leadership.

Edited by zork

Fox Business reported Scott Pruitt's personal budget for rare Faberge Eggs that fit into 'Chuck Norris Action Jeans' has exceeded $70 million. In response to the seemingly excessive and unnecessary purchases of roundhouse kicking eggs, Pruitt's agency pointed to the savings they've gathered on gold-plated and jeweled crossbows that launch sea turtles for projectiles. Sources stated that the EPA staff member who leaked these numbers was lashed with chunks of coral reef. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, zork said:

Rubber stamp Ryan certainly has been a disappointment on the spending front.  CBO projects just ~1.9% real growth per year for the next X years.(nominal numbers much higher but higher expected inflation and an increase in interest rates as well)   

Can't blame it on Ryan though except to the extent that he was unable to lead for cuts in spending, anywhere.  Not seeing anyone with specific cuts listed anywhere.  So 'bullshit', as you say, it is.   

What I believe or don't is immaterial because what actually happens is what happens no matter what is said, promised, etc by the DC/Gov't leadership.

I can certainly blame it on Ryan.  And the other Republicans who say one thing and do another.  Why do you keep giving them a free pass to make bigger and bigger messes?  I'll never understand it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, zork said:

nothing about this post makes any sense to me whatsoever.

22 minutes ago, sidis said:

nothing about this post makes any sense to me whatsoever.

cut something.  hold the budget on a majority of items, including salaries, at minimum, till the budget is in balance or paying back the debt.  maybe cut across the board and then give back to x program or y program.   

or don't and be a rubberstamp on what has been and is projected to be.  

CBO projects nominal ~4.2% GDP growth but actual of ~1.9% GDP projected for 2018.

Look at the spending projections here:(they are in wonky spreadsheet forms so it is a bit of a PITA)

https://www.cbo.gov/about/products/budget-economic-data#7

Another link:

https://www.cbo.gov/system/files/115th-congress-2017-2018/reports/53721-testimony.pdf

here is what I was referring to in terms of gdp projections:

Between 2018 and 2028, actual and potential real output alike are projected to expand at an average annual rate of 1.9 percent. In CBO’s forecast, the growth of potential GDP is the key determinant of the growth of actual GDP through 2028, because actual output is very near its potential level now and is projected to be near its potential level at the end of the period.

Edited by zork

9 minutes ago, zork said:

cut something.  hold the budget on a majority of items, including salaries, at minimum, till the budget is in balance or paying back the debt.  maybe cut across the board and then give back to x program or y program.   

or don't and be a rubberstamp on what has been and is projected to be.  

CBO projects nominal ~4.2% GDP growth but actual of ~1.9% GDP projected for 2018. 

Look at the spending projections here:(they are in wonky spreadsheet forms so it is a bit of a PITA)

https://www.cbo.gov/about/products/budget-economic-data#7

Another link:

https://www.cbo.gov/system/files/115th-congress-2017-2018/reports/53721-testimony.pdf

here is what I was referring to in terms of gdp projections:

i understand all that.  i just don't understand how you square it with not being able to blame paul ryan or that your opinion is immaterial.

9 minutes ago, sidis said:

i understand all that.  i just don't understand how you square it with not being able to blame paul ryan or that your opinion is immaterial.

Or why it was really important to make noise about this issue while there was a democrat in the White House, but apparently now it isn't important since there is nothing that can be done about it. I mean, if you think about it, rising debt and deficits are no ones fault. At least not until it becomes political expedient to blame the democrats again. 

Edited by Dahobbs

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Or why it was really important to make noise about this issues while there was a democrat  black guy in the White House, but apparently now it isn't important since there is nothing that can be done about it. I mean, if you think about it, rising debt and deficits are no ones fault. At least not until it becomes political expedient to blame the democrats again. 

FIFY

1 minute ago, sidis said:

ok.

he is only one man. 

nobody in DC wants to cut anything.  

it was disturbing when he rubber-stamped the D budgets or continuing resolutions, etc.  But it was supposed to change with the R's.  Looking at the CBO spending budgets, and forward spending projections,  just for a couple of hours it appears nothing is being adjusted at all.  That gets the rubberstamp nickname.  Blame is on all of congress as I don't see anyone calling for cuts on anything from either party.

trump has shrunk the jobs by 25K in all of the Federal government, in the Executive branch specifically, but that is nothing in the scheme of things.   (and been roundly criticized for it)

DaHobbs said:

Or why it was really important to make noise about this issues while there was a democrat in the White House, but apparently now it isn't important since there is nothing that can be done about it. I mean, if you think about it, rising debt and deficits are no ones fault. At least not until it becomes political expedient to blame the democrats again. 

I expected there to be cuts.  There apparently have been few if any of them to any program.(I couldn't check every line in all of the CBO spreadsheet but I did scour a ton of them going out 8-10 years)

One wildcard this guy, not the last guy, is getting is an environment of rising interest rates.  That is going to crimp a lot and exacerbate a lot as well.(growth and interest expenditure to be a bit more precise, respectively)

I don't have a good answer for that.  I'm just one dude with zero access to DC other than internet news.  (tapping out trying to explain meaningful spending cut hopes)

Slim hope that remains is for growth to over-run the spending increases.   Early returns are showing nominal growth is rising but it is being paired with inflation growth and in the CBO budgets it is being canceled out(Nom growth - real inflation= real growth).  Likely, perversely, the auto budgeting I'm bitching about, that will likely be rubberstamped, is going to increase due to the increased inflation.  Which could be extrapolated in future CBO budgets actually ratcheting higher due to that expected inflation going forward.  

So there will be a double-whammy of increased interest expense while simultaneously increasing budgets that were already increasing.  Inflation hedges anyone?

I blame Federal bureaucracy. 

Although the Fed Reserve has done miracles before and might have more up their sleeve if the interest rates they don't control start to go too high.

Balancing the budget is not realistic at this point.  Nobody has the will.  If anything the Sanders and bartender from the Bronx are introducing free thoughts of everything from A to Z.

Edited by zork

Kelly: You're fucking fired. Get out.  We'll tell everyone you resigned to keep your dignity intact.
Pruitt: FUCK NO, you fired me. FUCK YOU.
Kelly: You can keep the tactical pants.
Pruitt:  Just tell me where to sign the fake resignation letter.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Newdoc said:

I forgot Surly was the end all be all of existence and life revolves around this board and internet board renunciation of cabinet members is the litmus test for political responsibility in our civic duty. Good grief. 

Pruitt is an asshat and should step down. Check the inter webs in one hour and see if my post worked and Pruitt resigned.

Okay. Now say Trump should resign.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, zork said:

I don't have a good answer for that.

That's all you had to say. There is no reason for any intelligent human being to believe that the GOP ever actually intends to cut spending.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2018 at 11:36 AM, Mapache said:

Now he'll request more security so they can make a circle of wagons around his table

Kristin Mink was having lunch with her toddler in Washington, D.C., when she noticed who was sitting three tables over: EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt. 

In a video posted to her Facebook account, Mink walks up to Pruitt and an unidentified companion and confronts him over his record of environmental deregulation and open corruption. According to Mink’s video, the confrontation occurred at Teaism in downtown Washington on Monday. 

“Hi, I just wanted to urge you to resign because of what you’re doing to the environment and our country,” Mink says. “This is my son. He loves animals. He loves clean air. He loves clean water. Meanwhile, you’re slashing strong fuel standards for cars and trucks, for the benefit of big corporations.” 

Pruitt’s smile turns to a frown as Mink speaks, and he glances nervously to the man sitting across from him.

https://splinternews.com/pissed-off-mom-confronts-scott-pruitt-at-washington-res-1827299922

wow, that worked? Could we get her an audience with the President?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yoladu said:

wow, that worked? Could we get her an audience with the President?

First you'll have to figure out which McDonald's he eats at.  But my guess is she cares about her kid's health, so she never goes there.  

Womp womp.

22 hours ago, Newdoc said:

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Newdoc said:

Trump is set in place like Austin's Rain Shield. That's a tall order.  Besides, Pence would be boring.

No, fucker -- we said "SAY TRUMP SHOULD RESIGN."

You have god-like powers.  Use them.*

*Also, say "Milana Vayntrub should totally hook up with Brisketexan."  Definitely say that.

• Like 1