We need to talk about Scott Pruitt

Pods

11 hours ago, Fozzz said:

Where does one acquire tactical pants?  

One of my old law partners is a gun guy, as was I.  We were on mailing lists for all kinds of catalogs as a result.  We watched over the decades as the inventory being sold by some of these outfits shifted from a mix of hunting and outdoor gear to "tactical"...well....everything.

We had a good laugh the day he came down to my office with one of his catalogs opened up to a page, and asked me "how many should I buy?", pointing to the full-page pitch for "tactical underwear."  I think we had a good riff on how it must be built to withstand the epic release of loose shit that would happen if any one of the pussies who bought that stuff ever ended up in a real firefight.

Seriously, tactical underwear.  They will slap the "tactical" adjective onto anything, and ignorant wannabes like Pruitt will buy it.

21 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

One of my old law partners is a gun guy, as was I.  We were on mailing lists for all kinds of catalogs as a result.  We watched over the decades as the inventory being sold by some of these outfits shifted from a mix of hunting and outdoor gear to "tactical"...well....everything.

We had a good laugh the day he came down to my office with one of his catalogs opened up to a page, and asked me "how many should I buy?", pointing to the full-page pitch for "tactical underwear."  I think we had a good riff on how it must be built to withstand the epic release of loose shit that would happen if any one of the pussies who bought that stuff ever ended up in a real firefight.

Seriously, tactical underwear.  They will slap the "tactical" adjective onto anything, and ignorant wannabes like Pruitt will buy it.

You laugh until you take a round in the nuts.

So the thing I'm trying to figure out here is the clothing.  IDGAF whether its tactical clothing or just clothing.  I've worked for a bunch of startups, and over the past 7 years, I've averaged around $30k a year in expenses I've billed back to either my companies or my customers.  Startups tend to not have controls in place on reimbursements and so if you have a mind to, you can really abuse the expense reimbursement process and get away with it.  But none of those companies, from startups to Fortune 2 companies, had a clothing allowance as part of their expense policy.  And I've billed expenses back to the government, so its not like I'm just talking about the private sector.  

Why did he think this was an acceptable practice?

22 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Those would be awesome with my tactical muzzleloader 

Edited by Pescado_Rojo

Washington (CNN)The Environmental Protection Agency is spending more than $8,500 on challenge coins to congratulate its response to 2017 natural disasters, including the hurricanes that ravaged Texas and Puerto Rico.

After three bids, a contract was awarded to The Lapel Pins Plus Network LLC for "response award development - Challenge Coin" with a request to design a two-inch color 3D "coin award" that displays the EPA Emergency Response program logo on the inner circle and "HURRICANES HARVEY, IRMA AND MARIA - THE CALIFORNIA WILDFIRES" on the outer circle.

The back of the coin, to be designed by the contractor, should "convey the sentiment that EPA staff from all across the country worked together to respond to the incidents from Puerto Rico to California (and regions in between)," the contract says. It also says the coin should include the phrase "response excellence," the year "2017," and should say "PROTECTING HUMAN HEALTH AND THE ENVIRONMENT ALL ACROSS AMERICA."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/21/politics/epa-challenge-coin-puerto-rico-texas-disaster/index.html

9 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Why did he think this was an acceptable practice?

Because Scott Pruitt works for a constituency of 1.  Who truly doesn't give a shit what Scott Pruitt does, because to this point, everything Scott Pruitt has done is simply not embarrassing or offensive enough for that 1 person to actually care. 

• 2 weeks later...

Two of Scott Pruitt’s top aides provided fresh details to congressional investigators in recent days about some of his most controversial spending and management decisions, including his push to find a six-figure job for his wife at a politically-connected group, enlist staffers in performing personal tasks and seek high-end travel despite aides’ objections.

The Trump administration appointees described an administrator who sought a salary that topped $200,000 for his wife and accepted help from a subordinate in the job search, requested aid from senior EPA officials in a dispute with a Washington landlord and disregarded concerns about his first-class travel. 

The interviews conducted by staffers for the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee late last week shed new light on the EPA administrator’s willingness to leverage his position for his personal benefit and to ignore warnings even from allies about potential ethical issues, according to three individuals familiar with the sessions, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the ongoing investigation. 

Now he'll request more security so they can make a circle of wagons around his table

Kristin Mink was having lunch with her toddler in Washington, D.C., when she noticed who was sitting three tables over: EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt. 

In a video posted to her Facebook account, Mink walks up to Pruitt and an unidentified companion and confronts him over his record of environmental deregulation and open corruption. According to Mink’s video, the confrontation occurred at Teaism in downtown Washington on Monday. 

“Hi, I just wanted to urge you to resign because of what you’re doing to the environment and our country,” Mink says. “This is my son. He loves animals. He loves clean air. He loves clean water. Meanwhile, you’re slashing strong fuel standards for cars and trucks, for the benefit of big corporations.” 

Pruitt’s smile turns to a frown as Mink speaks, and he glances nervously to the man sitting across from him.

https://splinternews.com/pissed-off-mom-confronts-scott-pruitt-at-washington-res-1827299922

Edited by Mapache

The fact that Congress is completely failing to conduct ANY oversight is such a horrendous abdication of constitutional duties, it drives me insane. Apparently not one GOP congressperson is capable of holding the most corrupt cabinet member in US history accountable- even while he commits actual crimes. 

I don’t want to ever hear from a member of this Congress that they give one fuck about ethics, misuse of federal resources, or corruption 

Just now, Pig Bellmont said:

The fact that Congress is completely failing to conduct ANY oversight is such a horrendous abdication of constitutional duties, it drives me insane. Apparently not one GOP congressperson is capable of holding the most corrupt cabinet member in US history accountable- even while he commits actual crimes. 

I don’t want to ever hear from a member of this Congress that they give one fuck about ethics, misuse of federal resources, or corruption 

Then you might as well hide under a rock with all the upcoming midterms ads about how the Democrats will be unethical, morally corrupt and misuse federal resources to obstruct Trump's agenda and also be the most fiscally irresponsible ever.  Without even a hint of irony in those ads.

Utah oil drillers won pollution break from Pruitt

Utah oil and gas producers tried for years to get the Environmental Protection Agency to exempt them from smog rules meant to prevent ailments like asthma.

They finally got their relief after Scott Pruitt took charge of the agency, newly released emails show.

To groups opposed to President Donald Trump’s policies, the records are yet another sign that Pruitt has transformed an agency created to protect the environment into a tool for granting favors to industry. They say that's troubling even if it falls short of the overt collusion his critics have accused him of amid revelations about his ties to lobbyists who helped him arrange housing and travel.

"The public is being shut out of the decisions that affect the air we all breathe while polluters have Pruitt at their beck and call whenever they ask to throw out a lifesaving protection," said Matt Gravatt, the associate legislative director at the Sierra Club, which obtained the emails in a lawsuit over a public records request. 

The EPA’s aid for the oil and gas companies in Utah came after an industry lobbyist, Marc Himmelstein, a former American Petroleum Institute executive with longstanding connections to top GOP fundraisers, enlisted help from another like-minded Republican, House Natural Resources Chairman Rob Bishop (R-Utah), who has pushed legislation to promote oil and gas development and ease permitting requirements. 

Himmelstein coordinated a July 2017 phone call between the Utah lawmakers and Pruitt, offering specific talking points for Bishop to use, according to the records obtained in a lawsuit by the Sierra Club.

The EPA was set to declare that the tribal land in the Uinta Basin in Utah was not meeting standards for smog or ozone pollution. Once that happened, oil and gas producers wouldn't be able to use a streamlined permitting process and would instead have to seek approval for each of the thousands of wells they aim to drill there.

"We ask the Agency to develop a streamlined permitting solution for future development of the Basin," Himmelstein's talking points for Bishop said. 

In April, EPA proposed just that. 

Himmelstein had also sent Pruitt’s chief of staff marked-up regulatory text that he shared with Bishop to propose. And he said the EPA would receive a letter from the office of Republican Gov. Gary Herbert. Herbert, who is aiming to increase energy production in Utah, had been focused on the issue already and did convey the industry concerns to Pruitt in a letter last summer, his office confirmed.

Himmelstein is a longtime Washington lobbyist and president of the energy lobbying firm National Environmental Strategies, which was previously caught in an ethics controversy over its ties to a former Interior Department official. He told Jackson he was working with QEP Resources and Newfield Exploration, two of the biggest drillers in the region that includes the companies’ leases in the Uintah and Ouray Indian reservations. 

Himmelstein is also treasurer of the Conservative Leadership Alliance, a 501(c)(4) that spent $1.4 million on federal elections this year, according to OpenSecrets. And he is a lobbyist for FirstEnergy Solutions, which has been influential with the Trump administration in its bid to keep coal and nuclear plants online.

Pruitt’s critics have long complained the former Oklahoma attorney general was too closely tied to the oil and gas industry. Email records show senior staffers at the EPA also exchange scores of messages with top lobbyists for the fossil fuel, agriculture and chemicals industries, and the newly released messages show the consideration top agency staffers gave to energy companies, who often complained that the Obama administration ignored their concerns.

Oil and gas development has been blamed for contributing to northeastern Utah’s ozone pollution, which can affect people suffering from bronchitis, emphysema and asthma. A 2013 study of the area found that at least 98 percent of volatile organic compounds and 61 percent of nitrogen oxides — building blocks of ozone — come from oil and gas.

Himmelstein and representatives for the two companies did not respond to requests for comment. But Pruitt’s chief of staff, Ryan Jackson, told POLITICO that the EPA was eager to help them because the Obama-era requirements would have unfairly limited oil and gas production on the tribal lands compared with other nearby operations. 

Jackson said the stricter permitting process for oil and gas companies in Utah would have been "entirely unnecessary and entirely unfair." EPA is likely to pursue a broader rewrite of the rule, in addition to the carve-out for the Uinta Basin, he added. 

"Why are we disadvantaging Indian country?" he said, "That makes no sense." 

But Jackson has it backward, said Jon Goldstein, director of regulatory and legislative affairs for the Environmental Defense Fund.

“What’s unfair is asking people to continue to breathe unhealthy air that has consequences,” Goldstein said.

While Himmelstein wanted the EPA to remove the stipulation that drillers in any tribal areas that failed to meet ozone requirements must apply for source-by-source permits, the EPA instead drafted an amendment specific to the Uinta basin. 

The amendment would provide a “permanent mechanism for streamlining construction authorizations” on the reservation, including in areas not meeting ozone standards, the EPA’s fact sheet explains. It notes that the EPA is also working on a rule for the reservation to reduce ozone-forming emissions “while allowing continued development of its oil and natural gas resources.”

Himmelstein, who has long been acquainted with Jackson and met socially on several occasions with him last year, first emailedthe EPA chief of staff and then-White House special assistant on energy Mike Catanzaro in June 2017 about setting up a meeting with the two companies.

“We need your help,” Himmelstein wrote. “The Uinta Basin in Northeast Utah (Rob Bishop’s district) is going to be listed as an ozone non-attainment area later this year. It is a prolific oil and gas producing area that encompasses state, tribal and federal lands.”

Pruitt had agreed to meet with QEP when he spoke at the American Exploration and Production Council in late May, Himmelstein reminded in another exchange. 

Bishop’s spokesperson said the lawmaker’s phone call to Pruitt was part the Natural Resources Committee chairman’s efforts to press for changes in permitting and air quality rules in the Uinta Basin.

“This is an issue that dates back many years. The Chairman had numerous similar conversations with Pruitt’s predecessor, Gina McCarthy. The issue has not been resolved and Chairman Bishop continues to advocate for reasonable regulatory reforms that will protect and enhance the lives of the people of Utah’s first congressional district,” Bishop’s spokesperson said.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/02/separated-families-border-children-reunite-664674

There are moments in America when one man deserves a high paying job for his wife, club seats, very specific hand lotion, a used mattress, tactical clothing, luxurious lodging, chartered flights, an expensive phone booth and for intrusive mothers with their fat-headed offspring to shut their goddamn mouths while he eats lunch.  In this moment in America that one man is Scott Just Do It Pruitt, proud son of Oklahoma.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Pruitt would fit right  into 3rd world country govts. He probably thinks he enacts all policies regardless if he is getting something from the recipients of that policy so he doesn't seem the harm in them giving him something.   However we all know that isn't true.   

Does anyone not believe there is a strong likelihood of a highly funded, offshore account with his name on it?  I know no one here can prove it but don't you think it's there? 

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Trumps path to success:

1. fire sessions, replace him with Pruitt who can take the AG role without senate confirmation for 200 days
  2. pruitt fires rosenstein and mueller
  3. trump fires Pruitt for these scandals
  4. hire another trumkin as AG

Putin’s path to success.

The civil unrest this would cause would be the cherry on top.