2022 Texas High School Football

texifornia

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

I do know from attending the Region IV XC meet that their bus is fucking awesome.  It's all bright red with a big ant painted on it.

The RGV ISDs  have some of the better travel bus paint schemes in the state to go along with the best concession stand foods.  

Speaking of which I get to make a quick trip down to the RGV tomorrow to see Calallen vs La Feria, but mainly for the quick side trip to Las Vegas Cafe in Harlingen for pre game dinner.   Being an RGV native it's hard to believe that is one of the few stadiums I've never been to, so Ill get to scratch that off my list.    Santa Rosa,  Rio Hondo, and Roma remain.  

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

HOUSTON

Paetow-Katy  Paetow has been pretty underwhelming coming off a 5A title and the recruitment move-in of the top recruit in the state.  They have  continues to be Katy; they beat Jordan 70-21 last week, so you'd be stupid to think Paetow has much of a chance here.  

Paetow's enrollment was about 50% higher than any other 5A D1 school last year so they damn well should have won state at that level. Much like Allen , who ironically had recruited Hicks away (from Katy ISD school Morton Ranch) the year before 

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Paetow's enrollment was about 50% higher than any other 5A D1 school last year so they damn well should have won state at that level. Much like Allen , who ironically had recruited Hicks away (from Katy ISD school Morton Ranch) the year before 

Yep.   A stupid UIL loophole that allows this kind of crap to occur. They would’ve played in 6A D1 last year.    

13 minutes ago, Duke Silver said:

Columbus@Hallettsville doesn’t do anything for you, @Beau Vine?  6-0 vs 5-1 going into district play. 

I literally had them on my list with notes written next to it, and forgot to add the game, I think because I wasn't sure what region to put it in.  Editing if still possible.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Former RGV Gringo will answer you in the affirmative.   Most recognize the four counties of Starr, Willacy,, Hidalgo, and Cameron as the RGV.   Real Dumb Gringos from places like Aledo  include Laredo and sometimes El Paso and Corpus  as " The Valley."

Absolutely this.  The RGV is those four counties and nothing else.

Look at 31 vs 32 6A going into district. All the decent mid and upper valley football is at the sub6a level.

Ovr. Dist.      
  W L W L PF PA STRK
Edinburg North 3 2 0 0 124 160 1W
Edinburg High 2 3 0 0 59 157 1L
Edinburg Econ. 1 4 0 0 61 189 3L
Mission High 1 4 0 0 101 150 2L
PSJA High 1 4 0 0 98 184 2L
La Joya High 0 5 0 0 48 190 5L
  Ovr. Dist.      
  W L W L PF PA STRK
Harlingen High 5 0 0 0 246 84 5W
San Benito 5 0 0 0 217 23 5W
Los Fresnos 4 1 0 0 171 93 3W
Weslaco High 4 1 0 0 129 65 1L
Brownsville Rivera 2 3 0 0 62 89 1W
Brownsville Hanna 1 4 0 0 123 165 3L

17 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Which one of the Edinburg schools was formerly known as Teachers Academy? Good friend of mine on the 40 Acres graduated from Teachers Academy but then the name was changed, IIRC.

Must’ve just been a magnet school or something, on account of I’ve never heard of it. I know all their current high schools were opened with their current names. 

46 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Which one of the Edinburg schools was formerly known as Teachers Academy? Good friend of mine on the 40 Acres graduated from Teachers Academy but then the name was changed, IIRC.

Never hear of that one.   I kind of lost track of what opened and where back in the late 90s or so down there.   When I graduated in 1990 all the cites except Brownsville and McAllen only had one high school although Sharyland took in parts of Edinburg, McAllen, and Mission.   I think the first to come out with second high school sometime in the early 90s was Edinburg with North along with PSJA with their school named North.   Then later the rest started getting built in cities like Weslaco, Mission, Harlingen, etc. 

There was one magnet like school that served the whole valley back then based in Mercedes.    But I think their focus was on health and science.   

Austin High lost a heart breaker to Johnson last night 20-13.

AHS had a 4th & 1 on the Johnson 3 yd line in 4th qtr with like 5 mins left. Opted for FG, Johnson blocked it and recovered at the 19 yd line.

They then drove down the field and scored with ~45 seconds left. AHS got one play off then although there was 1 TO left, dicked around and let 20+ seconds run off the clock. At that point was Hail Mary time and game lost.

Bummer - JHS is similar to AHS in that they are limited offensively. Was fun game and my son played well but disappointing loss for sure.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

South Texas ISD is a magnet only district. Teachers Academy was originally a residential school in Edinburg for disabled students. It changed focus as Valley ISDs started getting better with special needs and disabled students and became Teachers Academy later.  Now it’s called South Texas World Scholars and is not part of Edinburg ISD.

The other South Texas ISD schools are Science and Technology and Medical Professions High Schools in Mercedes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Harlingen beats @TheBryMan81’s fighting Weslaco panthers 31-21. You guys do have some legit playmakers on offense though, elusive QB, & WR/RB #6 Perez was a nightmare all night. You also have a huge d-lineman that dominated a lot of the game. We’re 6-0 now but will need to start playing cheerleaders on the d-line soon if these injuries keep piling up.

And how about Jacob Cavazos? He’s now the starting QB at A&M-Kingsville and has them off to a 5-0 start. Always knew he was a baller. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

AUSTIN

Manor @ Round Rock  Manor got bombed last week by Vandy, but that's the only loss on these two teams' resumes.  RR's closest game was a 16-point win over Stony Point last week.  Manor has a RB committed to U$C, but RR's strength is their D, and I think that'll make the difference.

RR 17-7.

NB Canyon @ Hays  Mike Adams' son Duece is throwing for over 300 ypg for Canyon, a lot of that to his brother, but Hays has a big-time RB to counter.  Hays has scored 243 in 5 games. This could easily be a 63-56 type game and will definitely be the best game to see in the Austin area.

Canyon 44-41

DFW

Keller @ SLC  Both of these teams are 5-0.  That's normal for SLC, not-so-much for Keller, which went 6-5 last season.  One thing SLC is showing that they haven't shown in the past is an outstanding D, which has allowed only 27 points all season.  The Dragons should win this one easily.

SLC got an int with about a minute left to hold off the Injuns, 38-35. Keller outpassed SLC 312-94

Lake Dallas @ Argyle  Another matchup of undefeated teams that's a mismatch.  Argyle is ranked #1 in their first 5A season and has beaten several ranked teams (Melissa, Lovejoy, and Grapevine).  LD does have a stud QB who has 24 TDs vs. 1 pick, but Argyle is just a machine.

Argyle busted to a 30-0 lead and won 30-14.

Gunter @ Bells  This is #2 @ #4 in 3AD2.  Bells' only loss was by 4 to undefeated 3AD1 Whitesboro.  But Gunter is a whole different animal who, like SLC, is riding a surprisingly dominant D that has allowed only 29 points all season.

Gunter with a hard-fought 24-14 win.

SOUTH TEXAS

Sharyland Pioneer @ Mission Vets  Unfortunately, neither Landry Gilpin nor Eddie Lee Marberger will be taking the field, but these two 3-2 teams look like the best game in the 956 area code.  Both teams do have good junior QB's again, but Pioneer QB Julian Valdez has more experience, having started as a soph.  MVM has played a much tougher schedule (losses to 6A Harlingen and San Benito), so let's give them the edge.

Pioneer 38-14.  I'm almost as bad at predicting RGV games as Helobious is at predicting baseball.  Almost.

Columbus @ Hallettsville  Columbus has been pretty good for three years now, going 32-9, but hasn't gotten over the hump to great yet.  Hallettsville has been part of the problem, beating the Cardinals twice in 2020 on their way to a Jerryworld appearance.  Columbus won this game 14-13 last season, and they're better this year,  having outscored 6 opponents 303-49.  In fact, they look a lot like the team that eliminated them last year -- Lorena.  I'm not ready to say that Columbus wins state like 2021 Lorena, but I think this is the great team they've been waiting for, and I think they beat the Brahmas Friday.

Yeah, the Cards are for real: 35-13

EAST TEXAS

Mount Vernon @ Winnsboro  This is #2 @ #8 in 3AD1.  Two 6-0 teams that can really light up the scoreboard -- both are averaging over 50 ppg.  I'd say MV has to be the favorite here, but Winnsboro has really looked good this season and looks like they're getting even better.  Don't be surprised if they pull off the upset at home.  

Winnsboro rallies to win 28-14.  

Gilmer @ Texarkana PG  #2 @ #3 in 4AD1  PG's only loss was to a Louisiana school.  Gilmer has only played 4 games, but all 4 were wins over good programs (Paris, Chapell Hill, Kilgore, and Lindale).  Gilmer has won 3 in a row in this rivalry, including both games last season.  Gilmer hasn't played since 9/16, so who knows how that will affect them, but I'd expect this one to be close either way.

Lookout, Gilmer has a defense this year!  35-14

Kilgore @ Lindale  Two 4-2 teams here in about as evenly-matched a game as you'll find.  Kilgore won this game last season 65-58.  I wouldn't expect that many points, but that margin of victory should be similar, this time in Lindale's favor.

Whiff.  49-28 Kilgore

SAN ANTONIO

New Braunfels @ Steele  Steele has established themselves as the top of the class in a down year in SA football.  NB has close losses to Weiss and NB Canyon, but has that Denton Ryan shocker on their resume.  Upsetting the Knights would be an even bigger shocker, though.  

42-24 Steele  It wasn't really that close.

WEST TEXAS

Tolar @ Coleman  This is #6 @ #9 in 2AD1.  This is also the Rattlers @ Bluecats in the best mascot matchup of the week.  Coleman's only loss was to much bigger Llano; other than that game, they're 221-30 over 5 games. Tolar has rolled through 5 games undefeated to the tune of 237-57, so they're legit, too.  Coin flip for winner.

Tolar 16-6

Muleshoe @ Bushland The Mules lost their season opener to Littlefield, but have been excellent since, including a tight win over a tough Brownfield team least week.  Bushland, OTOH, has been whipping 4A teams; this is really looking like a special season for the Falcons.  

Have I mentioned Bushland is for real?  34-0

Permian-Odessa  Permian just seems to figure out a way this season.  Odessa has blowout losses to Keller and Amarillo, but rebounded nicely last week with a convincing win over Schertz Clemens.  Permian by a bunch in front of a big crowd.

38-7 Mojo  

CENTRAL TEXAS

Bremond @ Chilton  This is #8 @ #5 in 2AD2.  Bremond's lowest point total is 46; they hung 54 on Windthorst last week.  That's enough for me.

Chilton 41-30

Marlin @ Crawford  Rematch of regional finals last season.  Marlin lost its 1st 3 games this season, but has won the last two 102-7.  Crawford always has a tough D, and this season they've allowed an absurd 13 total points over 5 games.  They'll get revenge.

33-20 Crawford

HOUSTON

Paetow-Katy  Paetow has been pretty underwhelming coming off a 5A title and the recruitment move-in of the top recruit in the state.  They have losses to Jordan and Cy Ranch. Katy continues to be Katy; they beat Jordan 70-21 last week, so you'd be stupid to think Paetow has much of a chance here.  

54-0 Big Red

Brookshire Royal @ Bellville  Combined 11-0 record.  Bellville's best player in 2021 is now starring at RB for Baylor, but the Brahmas haven't missed a beat: 261-55 in 6 wins.  3 of Royal's wins are by one score; they have been one of the worst 4A programs in the state for a decade, so that's fine, but Bellville big in this one.  

48-3 Bellville

Other interesting scores:

North Shore 34 Summer Creek 27

Lewisville 15 Plano West 14

SA Brennan 33 Warren 30

Burleson Cent. 23 Denton Ryan 16  Worst DR team since 2014, Henigan's first season

Austin LBJ 89 LASA 0   There were an absurd number of teams scoring 70+

Liberty Hill 56 SA Vets 49  Vets led most of the game.

Devine 56 SA YMLA 0

Hamshire-Fannett 26 WOS 21  

Sinton 83 Robstown 20

Pilot Point 58 Ponder 55 on a last-second FG

Panhandle 82 Amarillo HP 12

Cisco 84 Olney 15

I'm serious -- there were so many blowouts that the UIL needs to consider adding the 45-point rule to 11-man.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 4

AUSTIN

Manor @ Round Rock  Manor got bombed last week by Vandy, but that's the only loss on these two teams' resumes.  RR's closest game was a 16-point win over Stony Point last week.  Manor has a RB committed to U$C, but RR's strength is their D, and I think that'll make the difference.

RR 17-7.

NB Canyon @ Hays  Mike Adams' son Duece is throwing for over 300 ypg for Canyon, a lot of that to his brother, but Hays has a big-time RB to counter.  Hays has scored 243 in 5 games. This could easily be a 63-56 type game and will definitely be the best game to see in the Austin area.

Canyon 44-41

DFW

Keller @ SLC  Both of these teams are 5-0.  That's normal for SLC, not-so-much for Keller, which went 6-5 last season.  One thing SLC is showing that they haven't shown in the past is an outstanding D, which has allowed only 27 points all season.  The Dragons should win this one easily.

SLC got an int with about a minute left to hold off the Injuns, 38-35. Keller outpassed SLC 312-94

Lake Dallas @ Argyle  Another matchup of undefeated teams that's a mismatch.  Argyle is ranked #1 in their first 5A season and has beaten several ranked teams (Melissa, Lovejoy, and Grapevine).  LD does have a stud QB who has 24 TDs vs. 1 pick, but Argyle is just a machine.

Argyle busted to a 30-0 lead and won 30-14.

Gunter @ Bells  This is #2 @ #4 in 3AD2.  Bells' only loss was by 4 to undefeated 3AD1 Whitesboro.  But Gunter is a whole different animal who, like SLC, is riding a surprisingly dominant D that has allowed only 29 points all season.

Gunter with a hard-fought 24-14 win.

SOUTH TEXAS

Sharyland Pioneer @ Mission Vets  Unfortunately, neither Landry Gilpin nor Eddie Lee Marberger will be taking the field, but these two 3-2 teams look like the best game in the 956 area code.  Both teams do have good junior QB's again, but Pioneer QB Julian Valdez has more experience, having started as a soph.  MVM has played a much tougher schedule (losses to 6A Harlingen and San Benito), so let's give them the edge.

Pioneer 38-14.  I'm almost as bad at predicting RGV games as Helobious is at predicting baseball.  Almost.

Columbus @ Hallettsville  Columbus has been pretty good for three years now, going 32-9, but hasn't gotten over the hump to great yet.  Hallettsville has been part of the problem, beating the Cardinals twice in 2020 on their way to a Jerryworld appearance.  Columbus won this game 14-13 last season, and they're better this year,  having outscored 6 opponents 303-49.  In fact, they look a lot like the team that eliminated them last year -- Lorena.  I'm not ready to say that Columbus wins state like 2021 Lorena, but I think this is the great team they've been waiting for, and I think they beat the Brahmas Friday.

Yeah, the Cards are for real: 35-13

EAST TEXAS

Mount Vernon @ Winnsboro  This is #2 @ #8 in 3AD1.  Two 6-0 teams that can really light up the scoreboard -- both are averaging over 50 ppg.  I'd say MV has to be the favorite here, but Winnsboro has really looked good this season and looks like they're getting even better.  Don't be surprised if they pull off the upset at home.  

Winnsboro rallies to win 28-14.  

Gilmer @ Texarkana PG  #2 @ #3 in 4AD1  PG's only loss was to a Louisiana school.  Gilmer has only played 4 games, but all 4 were wins over good programs (Paris, Chapell Hill, Kilgore, and Lindale).  Gilmer has won 3 in a row in this rivalry, including both games last season.  Gilmer hasn't played since 9/16, so who knows how that will affect them, but I'd expect this one to be close either way.

Lookout, Gilmer has a defense this year!  35-14

Kilgore @ Lindale  Two 4-2 teams here in about as evenly-matched a game as you'll find.  Kilgore won this game last season 65-58.  I wouldn't expect that many points, but that margin of victory should be similar, this time in Lindale's favor.

Whiff.  49-28 Kilgore

SAN ANTONIO

New Braunfels @ Steele  Steele has established themselves as the top of the class in a down year in SA football.  NB has close losses to Weiss and NB Canyon, but has that Denton Ryan shocker on their resume.  Upsetting the Knights would be an even bigger shocker, though.  

42-24 Steele  It wasn't really that close.

WEST TEXAS

Tolar @ Coleman  This is #6 @ #9 in 2AD1.  This is also the Rattlers @ Bluecats in the best mascot matchup of the week.  Coleman's only loss was to much bigger Llano; other than that game, they're 221-30 over 5 games. Tolar has rolled through 5 games undefeated to the tune of 237-57, so they're legit, too.  Coin flip for winner.

Tolar 16-6

Muleshoe @ Bushland The Mules lost their season opener to Littlefield, but have been excellent since, including a tight win over a tough Brownfield team least week.  Bushland, OTOH, has been whipping 4A teams; this is really looking like a special season for the Falcons.  

Have I mentioned Bushland is for real?  34-0

Permian-Odessa  Permian just seems to figure out a way this season.  Odessa has blowout losses to Keller and Amarillo, but rebounded nicely last week with a convincing win over Schertz Clemens.  Permian by a bunch in front of a big crowd.

38-7 Mojo  

CENTRAL TEXAS

Bremond @ Chilton  This is #8 @ #5 in 2AD2.  Bremond's lowest point total is 46; they hung 54 on Windthorst last week.  That's enough for me.

Chilton 41-30

Marlin @ Crawford  Rematch of regional finals last season.  Marlin lost its 1st 3 games this season, but has won the last two 102-7.  Crawford always has a tough D, and this season they've allowed an absurd 13 total points over 5 games.  They'll get revenge.

33-20 Crawford

HOUSTON

Paetow-Katy  Paetow has been pretty underwhelming coming off a 5A title and the recruitment move-in of the top recruit in the state.  They have losses to Jordan and Cy Ranch. Katy continues to be Katy; they beat Jordan 70-21 last week, so you'd be stupid to think Paetow has much of a chance here.  

54-0 Big Red

Brookshire Royal @ Bellville  Combined 11-0 record.  Bellville's best player in 2021 is now starring at RB for Baylor, but the Brahmas haven't missed a beat: 261-55 in 6 wins.  3 of Royal's wins are by one score; they have been one of the worst 4A programs in the state for a decade, so that's fine, but Bellville big in this one.  

48-3 Bellville

Other interesting scores:

North Shore 34 Summer Creek 27

Lewisville 15 Plano West 14

SA Brennan 33 Warren 30

Burleson Cent. 23 Denton Ryan 16  Worst DR team since 2014, Henigan's first season

Austin LBJ 89 LASA 0   There were an absurd number of teams scoring 70+

Liberty Hill 56 SA Vets 49  Vets led most of the game.

Devine 56 SA YMLA 0

Hamshire-Fannett 26 WOS 21  

Sinton 83 Robstown 20

Pilot Point 58 Ponder 55 on a last-second FG

Panhandle 82 Amarillo HP 12

Cisco 84 Olney 15

I'm serious -- there were so many blowouts that the UIL needs to consider adding the 45-point rule to 11-man.

Add another blow out to that list Calallen 71 La Féria 20. At least there was no line at the Sarita Check Point.

On 10/1/2022 at 9:08 AM, Nueces River Rat said:

Lol.   It wouldn’t shock me to see Miller before the UIL one day for this.  Really the whole CCISD is a mess with how they twisted knots to get Vets up and running .  And saved Miller from closing shop and consolidating with Ray and Moody because their enrollment was due to the industrial activity in their zone.  

Kingsville used to have a decent program.   They never won district titles or anything like that in 5a (old 6A) or 4A, but they didn’t look like a train wreck like I saw last night.  They used to have some big time size and back in the late 90s sent three linemen to P5 schools for which one of them started for Horns.   And they would send some useful talent to the local college too.  They just have horrible community support.    I know a former AD who was there about 40 years ago who tried back then to get the ISD to build them their own stadium so they could get out if the shadow of the college which was a football machine back then and they laughed at him. 

back in the day -  a kid in corpus could attend any hs, if that hs offered a class that wasn't offered at any other school. 

They’ll really suspend a game for anything these days. This skirmish lasted a few seconds and they called the game for it. #3 on Hirschi absolutely punked 2 graham players here, especially #12 who is to blame for the whole thing imo by overreacting to that non-suplex (#3 clearly let up & didn’t slam the DB).

20 minutes ago, Helobious said:

They’ll really suspend a game for anything these days. This skirmish lasted a few seconds and they called the game for it. #3 on Hirschi absolutely punked 2 graham players here, especially #12 who is to blame for the whole thing imo by overreacting to that non-suplex (#3 clearly let up & didn’t slam the DB).

COASTAL BEND

Brownsville Porter @ G-P  Saturday.  This is actually a district game, as Porter and E-E got put in a Corpus district.  Porter has a better record, but took their first lost last week, 43-21 to something called Roma.  G-P is showing some signs of returning to the dominance they enjoyed back in the day.  They're not there yet, but they are good enough to win this one easily.

Daaaaaaaayummmm... 72-0 G-P

• Hook 'Em 1

"We lost control of the game from a lot of perspectives,” Hirschi coach Lawrence Johnson said. “Our kids have to do a better job of controlling their emotions, but our kids are tired of defending themselves. They're getting criticized. There are racist remarks in threads, and our kids are having to go through those emotions and play a football game."

Leading up to the game, a screenshot circulated on social media from the Football Friday app owned by Dave Campbell's Texas Football from an account claiming to be a Steers fan making racially charged statements. It has not been confirmed that the account actually belongs to a Graham fan.

From the user name SteerGradNowSteerDad, “Plenty of bananas available for the Hershey Monkeys tonight. We don’t like Apes in Gtown. Everyone lock ur cars and hide ur kids.”

The DCTF app game threads tend to be about as enlightening as the youtube comments sections.

Edited by Beau Vine

On 10/8/2022 at 8:57 AM, Helobious said:

from that tweet: Hirschi led 24-24?

what?

The Graham Hirschi game is a big mess. Being in the area here is the story going around with me trying to mix together both sides of it as best as I can.

Hirschi played Decatur last week and lost.  Supposedly there was a lot of racist comments being spewed by Decatur fans and players the whole game.  Then leading up to the game against Graham there were absolutely racist comments made by one or two people on the DCTF app.  No one truly knows who these people are.  

So Graham fans claim that Hirschi players showed up to the game and from the moment they arrive the Hirschi players were being assholes.  Supposedly Hirschi players called Graham players/fans/moms/girlfriends/sisters every name in the book.  Also a lot of cheap shots by Hirschi players including the body slam that led to the fight that ended the game.  Graham players, however, were absolutely angels.

Hirschi players and fans obviously claim the opposite.  They showed up and acted like angels despite Graham players and fans spewing constant racist remarks at them the whole time.  Graham players had a bunch of dirty hits and the body slam was legal so the punches being thrown were the start of it.

As with all situations like this the truth is likely in the middle.  This is the third time this season that Hirschi is claiming that the entire opposing fan base and team was extremely racist at the game.

16 minutes ago, Helobious said:

No idea what actually happened. But I do object to that hit that kicked things off being called a “body slam”. He basically picked that kid up and placed him on the ground.

No matter what you call it it is still an illegal hit tackle and a personal foul.  But it’s not dirty enough to be deserving of getting punched or a fight breaking out over it.