Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

Sunday game...

No. 7/8 Men's Basketball preview: Stanford

The Longhorns face the Cardinal on Sunday (Noon CT, ESPN2) in Dallas.

Game 10: #7/8 Texas (8-1, 0-0 Big 12) vs. Stanford (4-6, 0-2 Pac-12)

• Pac-12 U.S. LBM Coast-to-Coast Challenge
  • Sunday, December 18, 2022 - 12p CT
  • Am Airlines Ctr (20,874) - Dallas, Texas

GameDay Quick Facts

• TELEVISION: The game will be televised nationally by ESPN2. Rich Hollenberg (pxp) and Fran Fraschilla (analyst) will call the action.

• RADIO: The Longhorn IMG Radio Network broadcasts every UT game on the statewide network. Craig Way (pxp) and Eddie Oran (analyst) will call the action. Check TexasSports.com for a listing of affiliates carrying the game.

• SERIES: Texas leads, 4-2. Last meeting: Texas 60-53 (Dec. 19, 2021; Las Vegas).

Notables

• BACK IN BIG 😧 Texas makes its first appearance in the city of Dallas and in American Airlines Center since it won a pair of NCAA First and Second Round games (Penn and NC State) in the 2006 NCAA Tournament.

• CARR FEELIN' IT: Graduate Marcus Carr recorded a season-high 28 points (season-high 9-16 FG, 4-7 threes, 6-8 FT) and three assists in 42 minutes during Monday's overtime win against Rice. Carr leads the team in scoring (15.4 ppg), assists (4.2 apg), steals (18) and minutes (29.7 mpg) through the first nine contests. 

• CUNNINGHAM STEPS UP: Graduate Brock Cunningham has averaged 9.0 ppg and 6.0 rpg in 20.8 mpg over his last three games while converting 10-of-14 (.714) field goals, including 5-of-7 (.714) from three-point range. Eleven of his 18 rebounds in the stretch have come off the offensive glass. He posted a season-high 10 boards (five offensive) in 27 minutes in Monday's OT win against Rice. 

• Hook 'Em 3

What are the odds I could find 3 seats together for a reasonable price down at the arena before the game?

I have a family of 5, and we could split up 2 and 3 if needed.

Someone is selling a pair in the For Sale forum, so if I bought those I still need 3 together.

Cheapest I could find on StubHub is $82 per ticket for 3 together. That's a little steep for a mid week game against a directional Lousiana school.

On 12/20/2022 at 10:14 AM, Wiler77 said:

What are the odds I could find 3 seats together for a reasonable price down at the arena before the game?

I have a family of 5, and we could split up 2 and 3 if needed.

Someone is selling a pair in the For Sale forum, so if I bought those I still need 3 together.

Cheapest I could find on StubHub is $82 per ticket for 3 together. That's a little steep for a mid week game against a directional Lousiana school.

Odd, came here to post something similar. UT ticket office says that all single game tickets are sold out and to try StubHub. StubHub wants obnoxious prices for tonight's game. 

Are games that popular right now? I figured it would be a half-empty arena give the time of year and opponent. It can't seriously cost $200+ to get some seats to watch ULaLa can it?

10 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Odd, came here to post something similar. UT ticket office says that all single game tickets are sold out and to try StubHub. StubHub wants obnoxious prices for tonight's game. 

Are games that popular right now? I figured it would be a half-empty arena give the time of year and opponent. It can't seriously cost $200+ to get some seats to watch ULaLa can it?

We've made other plans.  I'm not going down there just to be turned around because I need to pay $60 per ticket for a shitty weeknight game over the holidays.

If you end up going, please report back what the scalping situation looks like.

1 minute ago, Wiler77 said:

We've made other plans.  I'm not going down there just to be turned around because I need to pay $60 per ticket for a shitty weeknight game over the holidays.

Oh, same here. Want to take the kid but not at the StubHub prices. And it's way too far to just head down and hope I find something. 

See if I can find a stream of the game... going to be pissed if it's half empty.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Oh, same here. Want to take the kid but not at the StubHub prices. And it's way too far to just head down and hope I find something. 

See if I can find a stream of the game... going to be pissed if it's half empty.

At one point they were selling Coral tickets for $25 since the students were away from campus.  

i'm watching the game on my dvr right now. it's 72-42 with 14:25 left. i'm very impressed and encouraged by what i see. Louisiana actually is a good team, and not a Lance Blanks "good team", but a legit good team, a team that will play in the tourney this year.

the one thing that i've kept telling myself to give myself hope that this season isn't lost is that we have these guys like Carr, Allen, Bishop, Hunter, Rice, Cunningham, and all the way on down the line to our freshmen who are just professionals with the way they go about their business. head down, on to the next one, no whining, no excuses. very few teams in cbb have a roster like ours in that respect. on top of that it's totally evident that these guys love each other and will go to war for/with each other. tonight i'm seeing exactly what i hoped to see to have me believing that a run to the Elite 8 or further is still possible. i'm just really hoping and praying that Disu has avoided a major injury. he seemed disconsolate as he left for the locker room.

edit: Morris, in limited minutes to this point, is showing everyone who's been talking down on him (including several posters here) exactly why he was ranked so highly. he's been outstanding.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

also, it's fair to say that i'm sufficiently scarred in light of recent events. i'm sitting over here watching the game, and after having made that last post i'm thinking, "Disu probably went full Wacker, Arterio probably goes 0-6 from here on out, Louisiana is going to make it a close game, and rodney terry and bob donewold are going to get into an argument and throw hands on the sidelines." my imposter syndrome when it comes to UT Basketball is through the roof. 

Edited by shadow_operative

14 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

14 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Too late but you guys probably made the right decision. I haven't really noticed much scalper activity especially for these lesser games.  

Most people who aren't attending don't bother to list their tickets, and those that do are trying to make money I suppose. There is no face value on the electronic tickets, but if you include seat gifts, face value for along the sideline is $125+ and corner and baselines are $40ish.  Add stubhub fees and yeah, you're at $60 a seat.  That's just what basketball costs now. 

I'm sure they will lower all the prices when that upper deck gets opened...

1 hour ago, PantsTent said:

There is no face value on the electronic tickets, but if you include seat gifts, face value for along the sideline is $125+ and corner and baselines are $40ish.  Add stubhub fees and yeah, you're at $60 a seat.  That's just what basketball costs now. 

The entire change in mindshift for college athletics fucking sucks. 

16 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

edit: Morris, in limited minutes to this point, is showing everyone who's been talking down on him (including several posters here) exactly why he was ranked so highly. he's been outstanding.

I'm not saying that he is the best player on the team now, but if you ask me who on this roster will be making the most money as a pro, he would easily be my pick. 

6 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Can you fill a dirty casual viewer in? What's the deal with the upper deck? 

All I know is that the panels that cover it during a basketball game are designed to reflect sound and make it loud. They work. My old ears ring at night after the game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

thank god it's just a sprain. Disu looked like he feared the absolute worst when he was on the bench last night. hope he's able to come back strong, and soon. still, i fear for his mentality. there's nothing quite like suffering your first serious injury as an athlete, as he did with his acl tear. if you haven't gone through it yourself, you can't imagine the mental fortitude required to get back to playing without constant fear of injury. i think this will affect him more mentally than physically, assuming it is simply a sprain. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

thank god it's just a sprain. Disu looked like he feared the absolute worst when he was on the bench last night. hope he's able to come back strong, and soon. still, i fear for his mentality. there's nothing quite like suffering your first serious injury as an athlete, as he did with his acl tear. if you haven't gone through it yourself, you can't imagine the mental fortitude required to get back to playing without constant fear of injury. i think this will affect him more mentally than physically, assuming it is simply a sprain. 

No need to rush. Commerce is not a good team so he shouldn't be needed. Let if heal and rehab until OU game.

4 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I picked up "student" tickets for the KSU game as they were selling them to the olds since the students won't be back yet. Any idea how early I should show up to grab a seat?

My kids tell me that at the last game they roped off the bottom three rows courtside for the olds who bought the tickets. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/4/2022 at 3:14 PM, shadow_operative said:

lotta people here still talking shit about this guy and that needs to cease and desist. he's one of our best and most important players, and he's done a great job assimilating to his surroundings this year. we are going to need him to reach our goals this year. yes, he is a volume shooter- you're going to have to take the good with the bad. we don't have any players with zero flaws, yet our fans zero in on marcus carr like he's russ or something. he's not. he's a smart, talented, veteran guard who is very important to our success, and too many people here still seem to think that he's a liability. he's not. Team Marcus Carr.

ahem.

Carr before this post:

6 GP, 5.3-12.2 FG (.438%), 2.2-5.8 3PA (.371%), 2.7-3.8 FTA (.696%), 15.5 pts, 4.0 ast, 2.7 reb, 2 stl

Carr since:

6 GP, 6.5-12.8 FG (.506%), 3.3-6.5 3PA (.513%), 3.8-4.5 FTA (.852%), 20.2 pts, 4.5 ast, 2.2 reb, 1.7 stl

good thing our fans don't choose the rotation. keep it going Marcus! 🤘🏼 

• Like 1