Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

You said "I had never seen us smother and shut down the 3 point line like we did this year under Beard" and I was simply pointing out that we weren't very good at "smothering and shutting down" the 3 point line against quality competition.

I know nothing can be said to challenge your takes without you going into attack mode which is why I was hesitant to even respond in the first place. Yes, we beat Gonzaga by 20 and created a ton of turnovers. We were very poor at defending the 3 that game and when they weren't handing us the basketball they were knocking down shots a very good clip. It's okay to admit that. We didn't play "smother and shut down" the 3 point line that night.

Honestly you’re kinda just wrong here. 

• Like 1

and listen, this stupid argument breaks to one simple thing: under beard this year we very rarely gave up open looks from three. under terry we give our opponents wide open looks from deep with disheartening regularity. you either see that or you don't. 

Edited by shadow_operative

31 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

and listen, this stupid argument breaks to one simple thing: under beard this year we very rarely gave up open looks from three. under terry we give our opponents wide open looks from deep with disheartening regularity. you either see that or you don't. 

I don't. Being good against Arkansas-Pine Bluff and early season versions of Gonzaga and Creighton is fine and all but we all know that doesn't mean anything. Even Shaka could do that shit. Either you do it when it matters, against the Big 12 and in the Tournament, or I am not impressed. Illinois is equivalent to a middling Big 12 team and he lost to them. And hey Illinois had 10 three pointers against us, pretty good for very rarely being open from 3.

So I don't want to hear about how great we were at shutting down Houston Baptist in November and wondering why that doesn't directly translate into dominating Kansas in February and shit.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I don't. Being good against Arkansas-Pine Bluff and early season versions of Gonzaga and Creighton is fine and all but we all know that doesn't mean anything. Even Shaka could do that shit. Either you do it when it matters, against the Big 12 and in the Tournament, or I am not impressed. Illinois is equivalent to a middling Big 12 team and he lost to them. And hey Illinois had 10 three pointers against us, pretty good for very rarely being open from 3.

So I don't want to hear about how great we were at shutting down Houston Baptist in November and wondering why that doesn't directly translate into dominating Kansas in February and shit.

i'm not surprised that you haven't noticed the difference, because you have consistently given the absolute worst takes on this team all season. stick to baseball. you have absolutely no idea what you're watching or talking about when it comes to basketball. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i'm not surprised that you haven't noticed the difference, because you have consistently given the absolute worst takes on this team all season. stick to baseball. you have absolutely no idea what you're watching or talking about when it comes to basketball. 

the big lebowski GIF

I agree with you on this general discussion. We were doing somethings we had not seen before at this school before Beard shit himself. But policing opinions is not the way to go

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

the big lebowski GIF

I agree with you on this general discussion. We were doing somethings we had not seen before at this school before Beard shit himself. But policing opinions is not the way to go

i'm sick of valmy's uninformed, argumentative shit. i stand by what i said. you don't see me go here very often anymore, but when all i ever get out of someone is whiny aggression with nothing of substance to back up his arguments- yeah, he can fuck off. 

edit: if valmy ever wants to approach a discussion with me without coming at me aggressively and cursing and ranting and talking shit then hey, i have no problem having an adult discussion with him about our difference of opinion. up to him. but next time he approaches me like an adult will be the first. 

anyone arguing that this defense wasn't going to be something special is out of his mind.

7AF55660-AA90-412A-961F-973F37CA0C3B.jpeg.04a8fc485e9a5edb1db8880cd7a72659.jpeg

we're talking about chris beard with the deepest team he's had, with arguably the best all around defensive personnel he's ever had. again, all you have to do is have watched our defense under beard vs our defense under terry to see the difference, irrespective of who we're playing. which, by the way, both beard and terry played against both good and bad teams this year, and the difference in defensive performance has been overtly noticeable, so please stop with this nonsense that beard only did well against scrubs while terry has only played juggernauts.

but besides the clear difference in performance when watching the team play, beard's numbers as a defensive coach speak for themselves. he is the premier defensive coach in all of college basketball. he had the no.14 defense last year with the bad news bears roster. this year he adds Rice, Hunter, Mitchell, and a healthy Disu, and you're going to take the position that our elite defense early this year was fool's gold? i can't believe this is even a conversation. 

2 hours ago, GeorgetownLaw said:

So you REALLY believed this Texas team is going to win the Big 12 outright, this year? 

Given they still have an outside chance to do it, I don't understand the preposterousness of the notion.

Y'all are foolish to believe this team is just as good/better now than it would have been with Beard.

5 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Given they still have an outside chance to do it, I don't understand the preposterousness of the notion.

Let's look at it.  Not preposterous, but there's now t a lot of pressure on Texas to win out at home because of that loss in Lubbock (GOD DAMNIT).  That last game of the regular season will probably decide the Big 12 title (likely will be shared between KU and Texas), unless KU drops their game in FW or Texas wins in Waco or FW. 

KU has 3 games against the bottom 4 teams in the league.  Baylor plays only teams in the top 6.  Texas has 2 games against the bottom 4.

KU 9-4
Baylor 9-4
Texas 9-4

KU's remaining schedule: Baylor, @ TCU, WV, Tech, @ Texas
Baylor's remaining schedule: @ KU, @ KSU, Texas, @ OSU, ISU
Texas' remaining schedule: OU, ISU, @ Baylor, @ TCU, KU

It's actually going to be a really fun final 5 games in the Big 12. Any single game on KU, Baylor and Texas' schedule can swing the title race in their favor or drop their chances.  I give the edge to KU solely because they have an easier closing schedule - 3 games against the bottom 4 teams and 2 are at home. 

Baylor can do us a huge solid if McCullars' ankle means he can't go on Saturday and they take one in AFH for us.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Let's look at it.  Not preposterous, but there's now t a lot of pressure on Texas to win out at home because of that loss in Lubbock (GOD DAMNIT).  That last game of the regular season will probably decide the Big 12 title (likely will be shared between KU and Texas), unless KU drops their game in FW or Texas wins in Waco or FW. 

KU has 3 games against the bottom 4 teams in the league.  Baylor plays only teams in the top 6.  Texas has 2 games against the bottom 4.

KU 9-4
Baylor 9-4
Texas 9-4

KU's remaining schedule: Baylor, @ TCU, WV, Tech, @ Texas
Baylor's remaining schedule: @ KU, @ KSU, Texas, @ OSU, ISU
Texas' remaining schedule: OU, ISU, @ Baylor, @ TCU, KU

It's actually going to be a really fun final 5 games in the Big 12. Any single game on KU, Baylor and Texas' schedule can swing the title race in their favor or drop their chances.  I give the edge to KU solely because they have an easier closing schedule - 3 games against the bottom 4 teams and 2 are at home. 

Baylor can do us a huge solid if McCullars' ankle means he can't go on Saturday and they take one in AFH for us.

Exactly. While unlikely, Texas is still very much in this. However, Texas is just as likely to lose to OU or @TCU than it is to beat ISU or KU at home. Based on the schedules, it's probably going to be KU.

I honestly think, when healthy, Baylor may actually be the best team in the conference.

Edited by MuellerHorn

17 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

also, aside from statistical and computer rankings, the thing that's really really evident is how much less disciplined this team is without beard. 

apparently the players took those "Is Chris Beard gonna have to choke a bitch??!?!!?" threats pretty seriously

• Haha 1

This team has overachieved given the hand it was dealt with. Few RT fanboys got overexcited when we were beating up on the lower half of the conference and were ready give the permanent job to him. But the reality is RT has done as good a job as he is capable of. We have the toughest remaining schedule of the top 3 teams.

We can still win the conference if few chips fall our way. Unfortunately, Bill Self and his teams are as clutch as it comes down the stretch and Baylor is also playing their best basketball now. Let's see if our veterans can rise up to the challenge and earn at least a share of the conference crown.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Exactly. While unlikely, Texas is still very much in this. However, Texas is just as likely to lose to OU or @TCU than it is to beat ISU or KU at home. Based on the schedules, it's probably going to be KU.

I honestly think, when healthy, Baylor may actually be the best team in the conference.

No way Texas is losing to OU........

15 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

OU is really good. Every team in this league is really good. Anybody could lose to anybody.

So it could happen. 

But man we need this. Both this game and ISU. Got to do it. Let's go.

Yeah, we shouldn't have lost to Tech.  People laughed at me when I said anyone can beat anyone on any night in this league.

Tech beat Texas.  OU beat KSU.  WV beat ISU.

If we don't come out focused, we will lose.  OU is a team fighting for a bid. 

1 minute ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I would agree with you more if we were playing in Norman but I do not think they will beat us here.

We needed a remarkable, miraculous comeback to beat Tech at home. Kansas lost to TCU at home. Things can happen in the Big 12. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

You need to remember this Texas team has not lost back to back games all year too.

That is true. Just saying, a half assed effort in the Big 12 gets you a bad result. Team should play mad after Lubbock 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

You need to remember this Texas team has not lost back to back games all year too.

I am very confident Texas will beat both OU and ISU. But both games will be grinds, I expect both to be close and I won't be shocked if we lose. I will be pissed, but not shocked.

All tied with KU at 10-4 with four games remaining. Not counting out Baylor yet, but here’s how the finish shapes up between the two top teams.

UT: ISU, @ Baylor, @ TCU, KU

KU: @ TCU, WVU, TT, @ UT

TCU winning on Monday night would be huge. They can beat anyone with Miles back, but KU is on fire. TCU getting the upset and UT pulling one out against ISU the next night is about the only way I could see us playing for sole possession of first place in the last game, since I doubt KU drops any of their home games (maybe do us a favor for once, Mark Adams). This scenario would allow us to go into the daunting road trip north just needing a split to set up a chance for the championship on March 4th. Fuck, the Tech loss hurts. Those assholes may have ruined our chances at playing for conference titles in football and hoops this year.

My guess is we beat ISU, then lose both road games. KU continues their streak and wins their next three, clinching the conference before losing to us in an emotional one at Moody. Finish the regular season 23-8 (12-6) and a likely 2 seed barring a collapse in the first game in KC.

Would’ve never expected to be in this position after December 12th, so no matter what I’m going to enjoy the ride and the final stretch with these guys who have given their all for the program.

• Hook 'Em 4

None of this is any new hot take, but it is really frustrating to watch how much better this team is when Hunter is on the bench. I get Rice brings the energy off the bench but when you go down 7-10 points nearly every game, eventually it will catch up to you. I think today we were down 6-8 pts when Hunter finally went to the bench, we made up the difference and took a lead not long after, and as soon as Hunter came back in it went back to nearly a tie game.

At this point Hunter is what he is, and having to depend on Rice to make up a deficit every game is not something that will be successful in a tournament atmosphere. I suppose there are other factors you can point to (we are a much better team when Brock is on the floor as opposed to Mitchell) but it would be a surprise if Tyrese can ever turn the corner and be a real contributor.

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

And probably won’t be happening at Texas next year 

I kept hoping for the light bulb for Devin Askew to turn on but it never happened at Texas. Now he is averaging 15.5 points and 3 assists for the Cal Bears. Sometimes you need a change of scenery to get out of the funk, I guess.

Edited by UTEE97

I kept hoping for the light bulb for Devin Askew to turn on but it never happened at Texas. Now he is averaging 15.5 points and 3 assists for the Cal Bears. Sometimes you need a change of scenery to get out of the funk, I guess.

The light bulb didn’t go on - look at his field goal percentage and the team’s record. He just gets more volume now (well did before suffering a season ending injury).
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, KingBobo81 said:

The light bulb didn’t go on - look at his field goal percentage and the team’s record. He just gets more volume now (well did before suffering a season ending injury).

You're right. He is a low percentage volume shooter now. 

57 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

It didn't turn on, Cal is a shit team devoid of any talent that would be lucky to win a single game in the Big 12. Cal is a 3-24 team, Askew was leading the team in attempts and only had one other player with a similar volume below him in FG %. Those 15PPG don't mean a whole lot, don't be fooled Askew is still shit.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chad said:

It didn't turn on, Cal is a shit team devoid of any talent that would be lucky to win a single game in the Big 12. Cal is a 3-24 team, Askew was leading the team in attempts and only had one other player with a similar volume below him in FG %. Those 15PPG don't mean a whole lot, don't be fooled Askew is still shit.

I don't follow him closely. Just glanced over his stats and thought he must be doing well averaging 15.5 a game and scoring 25 against Arizona. Anyway, had high hopes for the dude, just like I had high hopes for Tyrese Hunter.