Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

14 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

there's almost no chance it actually goes this way, but it'd be a lot cooler if it did:

6E58F8E2-284A-4A01-9157-3DE18893C240.jpeg

I think 4-2 gets us a split - potentially an outright if one of those Ws is KU.

5-1 and at worst KU goes on some crazy run to tie us on the last day with a W in Austin. 

We could really use someone handing KU another L.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I think 4-2 gets us a split - potentially an outright if one of those Ws is KU.

5-1 and at worst KU goes on some crazy run to tie us on the last day with a W in Austin. 

We could really use someone handing KU another L.

ESPN analytics has OSU favored over KU. Self kinda sucks when he goes back to Stillwater 

5-1 and losing to Baylor would get us to 14-4. I would sign up for that today. Baylor still has to play @KU, @KSU, @OSU.  Even if they beat us for our lone loss, I doubt they go 3-0 in their remaining road games.

I don't think we'll go 5-1.  The outright title just may come down to the KU game on March 4.  Wouldn't it be awesome for GameDay to be here and a prime time showdown that night. But, lets TCB til then and make that dream a reality.

On 2/11/2023 at 3:55 PM, HtownHorn said:

Really need Morris to have more games like today going forward. He scored more today than the last 5 games combined. Having him and Rice getting close to 20-25 combined a game off the bench would be tough to beat.

Even if Morris doesn’t pick it up at all, if SJR keeps playing at this clip we’re good on that 20-25 per game…

47 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah we are going to play November and December nonconference with the big 12 logo and media deals, then after new year 2024 we play sec conference. The break gives the time needed to make the change. 

You’d be surprised (or maybe wouldn’t be) at how many people assumed “2024” meant January 1, 2024 and we’d play half the school year in the Big 12 and half in the SEC. I wish I was joking. 

16 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Not listed:

147th nationally in 3 point FG % defense - 33.1%
9th in the Big 12 for all games / dead last in conference-only games (35.6%)

Basketball Wives Ugh GIF by VH1

Just did the math and that first K-State game continues to kill us. They shot 54% from 3. If you remove that game the 3point defense in conference play drops to 34.1% which is like 7th.

Was surprised to look back and see we ranked 6th in 3point defense last year in conference play. Felt like it was better.

Edited by Hookem2147

i'll go further and say we were a lock for a top 5 defense nationally, maybe top 3. i've never seen a texas team just smother opponents and shut down the three point line like we did under beard this year. on offense it looked like 4/5 shots we took were practice reps (the ratio is now probably the closer to the inverse of that) and on defense we just shit you down from the moment you crossed half court. this team was a 1 seed and a league champion with beard. now it's a collection of senior players who seem to just be out there hooping on their own with no direction and no discipline half the time. it really is depressing to know that we've gone from national title favorites (along with a few other teams), to a team that's now realistically looking at the S16 or maybe the elite 8 as a ceiling, barring our guards just being unconscious from deep throughout the tourney. sigh. this was going to be the year.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Haha 1

also, aside from statistical and computer rankings, the thing that's really really evident is how much less disciplined this team is without beard. i have to imagine that this stretches beyond the games, and into practice, and maybe even in their schooling and personal habits as well. beard ran a very tight ship, and our team was incredibly disciplined early on. that was a big reason that the perimeter was on lock down for opposing teams. now every team we play just gets 10+ wide open looks from three per game. it really is amazing how impactful one man can be on an entire program.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

But having said that, there’s no way we’d only be #43 in the country and #6 in the Big 12 in defensive efficiency if Beard was still coaching.  It would more likely be pairing the top 20ish offense with a top 10 defense in the country, which would be quite a formidable combo. 

Well, we finished 5th in the Big 12 in defensive efficiency last year. 19th overall. Offensive efficiency was 86th.

With the pace we are playing at this year (averaging almost 7 more possessions per game compared to last year), it would have been extremely tough to maintain the same defensive efficiency numbers we had last year. Would it be better with Beard? Possibly, but the offensive efficiency might also look different.

Houston is the only team who is top 20 in offensive efficiency while also being top 10 in defensive efficiency. Here are the defensive efficiency ranks of the top 20 offenses: Oral Roberts (95th), Houston (2nd), Toledo (278th), Gonzaga (210th), Furman (145th), Youngstown State (229th), Missouri (245th), Miami (162nd), Marquette (101st), Baylor (116th), Purdue (172nd), Arizona (16th), Iowa (141st), Xavier (100th), Cornell (249th), Colgate (125th), Uconn (34th), Utah State (95th), College of Charleston (180th) and Florida Atlantic (140th)

Edited by Hookem2147

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

i've never seen a texas team just smother opponents and shut down the three point line like we did under beard this year.

The 3 teams we played with a pulse this year while Beard was still here went 47%, 15% and 43% from three.

Yes, we smothered Northern Arizona, UAPB and Houston Christian.

As was mentioned above, we were 8th in 3point% allowed in conference play last year. We weren't exactly smothering teams from the perimeter.

Edited by Hookem2147

49 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The 3 teams we played with a pulse this year while Beard was still here went 47%, 15% and 43% from three.

Yes, we smothered Northern Arizona, UAPB and Houston Christian.

As was mentioned above, we were 8th in 3point% allowed in conference play last year. We weren't exactly smothering teams from the perimeter.

why do you keep bringing up last year's team as if it has any relevancy to this year's team? they're two completely different teams. our depth, athleticism, and overall talent on this team dwarfs that of last year's team. you add tyrese hunter and jabari rice to the perimeter, plus a healthy disu and dillon mitchell to the front court, and it's night and day. ive been watching Texas basketball very closely my entire life and we have never played defense the way we did under Beard this season. not even under Barnes.

Beard's track record + this roster + our adjusted stats at the time of his firing all suggest that this would have empirically and statistically been the best defense in Texas history. high pressure, lots of turnovers, lots of forced bad shots, very few open threes- that's what we were under beard this year, and it wasn't going to magically change had he never been fired. 

also, gonzaga is arguably the best offense in the country, and is 21st in 3P% shooting 38% from deep as a team. ok, they went 9-19 against us from deep, and yet we beat them by 20 because of our smothering defense turning them over 20 times leading us to outshoot them 66-51 on FGA. you can't go back and look at one stat from one game and say, "see, we weren't all that great defensively". we ran them out of the gym that night with our high pressure defense which they could not handle. them shooting 47% from three is not a knock on our defensive performance that night.

18 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

why do you keep bringing up last year's team as if it has any relevancy to this year's team? they're two completely different teams. our depth, athleticism, and overall talent on this team dwarfs that of last year's team. you add tyrese hunter and jabari rice to the perimeter, plus a healthy disu and dillon mitchell to the front court, and it's night and day. ive been watching Texas basketball very closely my entire life and we have never played defense the way we did under Beard this season. not even under Barnes.

Beard's track record + this roster + our adjusted stats at the time of his firing all suggest that this would have empirically and statistically been the best defense in Texas history. high pressure, lots of turnovers, lots of forced bad shots, very few open threes- that's what we were under beard this year, and it wasn't going to magically change had he never been fired. 

You said "I had never seen us smother and shut down the 3 point line like we did this year under Beard" and I was simply pointing out that we weren't very good at "smothering and shutting down" the 3 point line against quality competition.

I know nothing can be said to challenge your takes without you going into attack mode which is why I was hesitant to even respond in the first place. Yes, we beat Gonzaga by 20 and created a ton of turnovers. We were very poor at defending the 3 that game and when they weren't handing us the basketball they were knocking down shots a very good clip. It's okay to admit that. We didn't play "smother and shut down" the 3 point line that night. Just like we didn't "smother and shut down" Matthew Meyer and didn't "smother and shut down" the 3 point line in conference play last year or this year. 

Edited by Hookem2147

who here isn't admitting that gonzaga had a fine night offensively aside from the TO's? nobody. only one of us is trying to mischaracterize that game in some weird, illogical attempt to assert that chris beard's defense really wasn't ever that good this season, and probably wasn't going to be all that great had he not been fired.

like i said, gonzaga might be the best offensive team in the country, and they are great from deep as team. they shot 9-19 against us. so what? that's somehow proof to you that Texas was no good at defending the three under beard? because the best offense in the country shot 9-19 from deep while we turned them over left and right? super weird agenda, but ok.