Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

Bobby Burton:  A big, fat egg. That’s what the Horns’ basketball team laid in Waco yesterday. Except for Dylan Disu, who scored 24 points.

After getting off to a fast start, the Horns went a full eight minutes without scoring from the nine-minute mark of the first half all the way down to the one-minute mark.

While Texas was still in the game at half, the Horns had squandered a huge lead, and Baylor shot the ball well, finishing 50-percent from the field.

It was a largely uninspired effort by the Horns, and what’s more, it felt like the team was struggling to figure out their own identity for large stretches of the game. Teams that make a deep run in the NCAA tournament typically have an identity and lean on that.

We’ll see soon enough if this game was just a blip.  Texas heads to TCU on Wednesday and then finishes the conference regular season by hosting Kansas next Saturday.

Identity was defense and experience. We still have the experience. 

He’s right though. We have no crutch on offense except Carr and if he’s not up for it we are sunk. The last 10 games did show us our offensive identity but the staff seem only interested in holding the line vs trying to get better. 

Rice should be the offensive identity of the team and everything else should revolve around him. 

4 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Identity was defense and experience. We still have the experience.  He’s right though. We have no crutch on offense except Carr and if he’s not up for it we are sunk. The last 10 games did show us our offensive identity but the staff seem only interested in holding the line vs trying to get better.  Rice should be the offensive identity of the team and everything else should revolve around him. 

Why hasn't Timmy Allen gotten better offensively??  Our bigs have not developed offensively either...  FUCK

Hunter has to get his shit together for NCAA Tournament...  This team has a shot to at least get to Sweet 16 and maybe even Elite 8 if Hunter wakes up !!!

• Hook 'Em 1

This team is regressing BIGTIME... Lost rebounding to tcu 46-28    OUCH

• Another terrible start - lethargic
  • Freshmen are not developing
  • Allen & Bigs continue to be disappointing
  • Teams are killing Texas on the boards
  • Offense getting worse, lacks identity

If Carr and Rice play well, Texas might win one or two NCAA tournament games and that's it.  Really piss poor end of B12 regular season for an experienced Senior team.  

Screenshot_20230302-063218_kindlephoto-1802018.thumb.png.a7a801cd21cccef63d1cb319e22b8835.png

Screenshot_20230302-063828_kindlephoto-2171267.thumb.png.33d1e7a0bb68cd09bdecec9fc8fcea30.png

Timmy Allen's season averages: 10.7 points, 5.5 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 48.6% from the floor

Timmy Allen in Big 12 play: 12.6 points, 6.5 rebounds, 2.9 assists, 47.9% from the floor

Timmy Allen the last 10 games: 10.7 points, 5.9 rebounds, 3.8 assists, 48.8% from the floor

Timmy Allen the last 5 games: 8.2 points, 7 rebounds, 4.4 assists, 47% from the floor

His scoring has dropped a tick but he has increased in other areas. He'll be fine.

7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

This team is regressing BIGTIME... Lost rebounding to tcu 46-28    OUCH

• Another terrible start - lethargic
  • Freshmen are not developing
  • Allen & Bigs continue to be disappointing
  • Teams are killing Texas on the boards
  • Offense getting worse, lacks identity

If Carr and Rice play well, Texas might win one or two NCAA tournament games and that's it.  Really piss poor end of B12 regular season for an experienced Senior team.  

It is frustrating. You hoped that all the close escapes and big comebacks the team had earlier in the Big 12 schedule would maybe be a wake up call or feed some intensity but instead they kind of looked complacent. None of these are new things that we haven't seen all year, they are same things only a little worse.

I don't know how to explain it. That just didn't look like a team who believed they were going to win the Big 12 those last couple games.

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

It is frustrating. You hoped that all the close escapes and big comebacks the team had earlier in the Big 12 schedule would maybe be a wake up call or feed some intensity but instead they kind of looked complacent. None of these are new things that we haven't seen all year, they are same things only a little worse.

I don't know how to explain it. That just didn't look like a team who believed they were going to win the Big 12 those last couple games.

How does a coach not get his team up to play for a conference championship?  Twice. We look lost the last two games. Carr looks tired like he does not have the legs he had earlier in the season.  I could not figure out what we were doing last night other than playing like it was a pickup game at Gregory. 
We look more interested in tipping balls than getting in position and strongly contesting rebounds. The opposing teams guards pull down way too many rebounds. 
Our only road win of note was K State. 
If CDC and the powers that be are seriously considering RT then we will get what we deserve.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Why is our inside game so bad? It seems we rarely get good penetration to the basket, and even when we do have position for an "easy" shot, we miss more layups, dunk opportunities, putbacks, tip-ins etc. than anybody else. Our whole game is midrange and deeper perimeter shooting, plus free throws (if the refs decide to call fouls on the opponent).

2 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

Why is our inside game so bad? It seems we rarely get good penetration to the basket, and even when we do have position for an "easy" shot, we miss more layups, dunk opportunities, putbacks, tip-ins etc. than anybody else. Our whole game is midrange and deeper perimeter shooting, plus free throws (if the refs decide to call fouls on the opponent).

Because we have an interim HC who has a career 52% winning record.

On 2/27/2023 at 1:28 PM, Js1 said:

Texas drops a spot to 9th this week

KU 3
Marquette 6 (HAHAHA)
Baylor 7
Gonzaga 10
KSU 11
Tenn 12
TCU 22
Aggy 24

ISU, WV receiving votes

tennessee has been reeling and just lost their best player/heartbeat of their team to a torn acl, but yeah, they're #12. polls and pollsters are equally fucking stupid. a bit tangential, but for example, this unwritten rule that says you have to drop a team every time they lose. great example: 2008 Texas vs TTU in football. Texas was no.1 in the country, playing a night road game against their fourth consecutive top 10 opponent, in one of the most hostile environments in football, having not had a week off through 8 weeks of the season, and we lost at the very very end in a game that we win if blake gideon can catch. literally nobody voted texas no.1 the next week. you're telling me you can't still think texas is the best team in the country simply because they lost? similarly, you're still ranking tennessee as a national title contender when in reality they aren't even a top 25 team? stupid.

oh and don't even get me started on the "coaches poll", aka the assistant SID poll. 

On 2/21/2023 at 2:35 PM, Js1 said:

All I remember is maybe we get a 5 seed instead if we don't blow that huge lead to TCU in the Big 12 tourney and we face a team that doesn't have a fucking redwood tree at center and a 5th overall pick. 

not to mention a 6'9" draymond green clone. literally the worst matchup we could have faced. this program is so snakebitten i'm starting to wonder if slater martin was a serial rapist, or if she lemons was a child murderer. what did we do to deserve such pointedly terrible fortune?

Edited by shadow_operative

I don't really think we are regressing. We are just playing the hard part of the schedule.  I bet if we had played all these games at the start of the conference slate we would have fared about the same.  Since Jan 30 we have played:

• at #2 KU - Loss
  • #8 Baylor - Win
  • at #8 Baylor - Loss
  • at #13 K-State - Win
  • at #19 TCU - Loss

Outside of the Tech game, we haven't really lost any games that I EXPECTED to win. 

you're looking at wins and losses, but the posts i'm reading are about the quality of the product on the court, and the consistency and development of our players. we've definitely been lacking in those departments compared to where any reasonable person would expect us to be had we not lost chris beard.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

you're looking at wins and losses, but the posts i'm reading are about the quality of the product on the court, and the consistency and development of our players. we've definitely been lacking in those departments compared to where any reasonable person would expect us to be had we not lost chris beard.

Horrid starts, especially in in road games

Long scoring droughts without a timeout

Zero growth or development of Morris/Mitchell

The absolutely abysmal 3 point defense 

Red flags galore

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Red flags galore

Sounds eerily similar to football. 

It’s almost like coaches that have historically won only 50% of their games don’t tend to do well here. Hmm. Weird!

Edited by Loop 1604
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, HookEm said:

I don't really think we are regressing. We are just playing the hard part of the schedule.  I bet if we had played all these games at the start of the conference slate we would have fared about the same.  Since Jan 30 we have played:

• at #2 KU - Loss
  • #8 Baylor - Win
  • at #8 Baylor - Loss
  • at #13 K-State - Win
  • at #19 TCU - Loss

Outside of the Tech game, we haven't really lost any games that I EXPECTED to win. 

Disagree. I have attended every home game this season and watched the rest on TV.  We have regressed.  Other teams have figured us out to a degree but the staff has not done anything to counter it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, CTC2 said:

Disagree. I have attended every home game this season and watched the rest on TV.  We have regressed.  Other teams have figured us out to a degree but the staff has not done anything to counter it. 

Yeah, this team has been regressing for several weeks... hard to watch this much talent consistently underperforming now.

No one should give a fuck about the B12 tournament. Beard didn’t. It’s all about the big one. 

OSU, OU, TT, WV should care as it’s there chance to get in. ISU should only care for a couple of games to rebuild themselves. 

Beat KU and then take what the B12 tourney gives you.

If I remember right, Beard’s final 4 team lost to 10 seed West Virginia in the first round of the Big 12 tournament. He definitely didn’t care and I agree with him. Feel the same way in baseball unless we are fighting for a hosting spot.

Win today to lock up a two seed and then rest up.

14 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Beard didn't care because he had his teams playing at a high level. We currently are not. We need to use the Big12 tourney to figure some things out. I think it does matter to this team. They need some momentum or were looking at a 1st round quick exit.

Momentum doesn’t mean jackshit in the Big 12 tournament. We won the damn thing 2 years ago and then lost to Abilene Christian 6 days later.

We blew a 20 point halftime lead in the first round last year to lose 3 of our last 4 heading into the tournament and then were a few minutes away from going to the Sweet 16 a week later. Iowa State lost by 30 in the first round and then made the Sweet 16.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I guess time will tell, but I just don’t think we are playing that bad. We are generally winning when we are favored and losing when we are underdogs. We have had some impressive beat downs in the last couple of weeks including destroying ISU (likely 6 seed) and WV (likely 11 seed).  
I doubt we are an underdog in the tournament until the Elite 8 or even the Final Four. We won’t play in another hostile away game (like Tech) all season. We won’t face a team as hard as KU or BU until the Final Four.  

I don’t think teams are figuring us out. I think we are playing away games against freaking solid teams and losing. It happens I college basketball. Hell, TCU beat KU by 17 in Lawrence. And KU could win the title. 
I’m not that worried about the first tourney game. This team isn’t a one and done. Especially not as a 2 or 3 seed.

Edited by HookEm
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I doubt we are an underdog in the tournament until the Elite 8 or even the Final Four.

With this team, all it takes is a team with size inside or a team of 3 point shooters and we wouldn’t/shouldn’t be favored. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Js1 said:

Red flags galore

I guess at least the new coach will probably get a chance at developing Morris if he doesn't portal. Because I know he isn't leaving college after this season. Mofo couldn't get drafted by the WNBA right now

I'd love to win this one. But here's what I fear: KU sticks with our guards and forces a crazy, errant shot.  Then any of several guys grab the board for them while Dick and whoever run to the corners and another guy parks on the wing. They either score from deep, hit the trailer coming down an open lane or pass it around until someone misses a shot and Adams or McCullar grabs the offensive board and gets hacked by Bishop, Disu, Allen or Brock. Rinse and repeat, ad nauseam. 

They're going to score. So we'd better figure out a way to do likewise. Oh, and keep them off the glass when they do miss. I won't necessarily be discouraged if we lose, as they're better than we are. But I'd sure like for us to demonstrate that we have a clue on offense and the will to rebound. 

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

If the team had focused this well on rebounding, we would have won the conference. If we rebound like this going forward, we will playing in the E8 or better.

Terry plays whack a mole.  He fixes one thing for a game or two and then another thing pops up.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Terry plays whack a mole.  He fixes one thing for a game or two and then another thing pops up.  

It's almost like this team maybe has a lower ceiling than everyone thought. I think any game after the 1st round will be a game that Texas can win or lose, and it has nothing to do with Terry. It's hilarious that all the blame is on Terry but he gets none of the praise when the team waxes one of the best teams in college basketball off the court. This game was never close after the 1st TV timeout.

9 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

I'd love to win this one. But here's what I fear: KU sticks with our guards and forces a crazy, errant shot.  Then any of several guys grab the board for them while Dick and whoever run to the corners and another guy parks on the wing. They either score from deep, hit the trailer coming down an open lane or pass it around until someone misses a shot and Adams or McCullar grabs the offensive board and gets hacked by Bishop, Disu, Allen or Brock. Rinse and repeat, ad nauseam. 

They're going to score. So we'd better figure out a way to do likewise. Oh, and keep them off the glass when they do miss. I won't necessarily be discouraged if we lose, as they're better than we are. But I'd sure like for us to demonstrate that we have a clue on offense and the will to rebound. 

Nailed it.