Texas vs Toads B12 Tournament Game Thread ESPN2 11:30am Thurs March 10th

LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

When we got carr because he didn’t declare for the draft I thought we were getting a scoring machine pg that would drop 15-20 a game for us. Holy fuck he’s like polar opposite of my thoughts on him. How the fuck was he all conference at Minnesota? I know they aren’t terrible?

This has been his worst season playing college basketball.

6 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

When we got carr because he didn’t declare for the draft I thought we were getting a scoring machine pg that would drop 15-20 a game for us. Holy fuck he’s like polar opposite of my thoughts on him. How the fuck was he all conference at Minnesota? I know they aren’t terrible?

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

This has been his worst season playing college basketball.

Has it, though?  His FG% and 3PT% are actually higher this season than last season.  And his turnovers-per-game are lower than last season.  His assists are down this season, but that's probably a function of his gawd-awful shot selection, because he is hell-bent on being a scorer, not a distributor.

He only looked better last season because he was the only decent player on a shit team, so he got more shots and scored more points.  Everything else is the same old shitburger.

I got busy at work for the 2nd half and came back to see the score and just chuckle. Of course we did. 

Cannot wait for Carr to gtfo. He was a rental who proved that he is exactly who he was his entire a career. A ball-handler who handles the ball way too fuckin much considering he doesn't create and has never shot over 40% FG in any of his collegiate seasons. 

Askew also Wtf is he proficient at?
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Has it, though?  His FG% and 3PT% are actually higher this season than last season.  And his turnovers-per-game are lower than last season.  His assists are down this season, but that's probably a function of his gawd-awful shot selection, because he is hell-bent on being a scorer, not a distributor.

He only looked better last season because he was the only decent player on a shit team, so he got more shots and scored more points.  Everything else is the same old shitburger.

Yes.

31 minutes ago, Jambon said:

Is getting a bunch of guys out of the transfer portal a good thing?  If they are so great, why are they transferring?

This season he had too, because the roster he inherited was Ramey, Jones, Ferbres, and Cunningham. Unless he signs 3-4 more kids in the 2nd signing period he's going to have to get more transfers because almost the entire rotation is graduating or I wouldn't bring them back. Likely the only two coming back are Askew and Disu. Then you have the 3 incoming signees. You can figure out the rest.

52 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

20 point lead to a 5 point loss.  just fucking awful.  

we needed to come out in the second half and get TImmy down low.  Instead we start our fucking splash brothers routine.  Beard sucked today.

Beard definitely sucked in the 2nd half... first timeout he called in 2nd half was with only a 1pt lead and 7:18 left.   So Beard allowed tcu to outscore Texas by 17pts over 13 minutes without calling even 1 timeout.   DUMBASS !!!

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Beard definitely sucked in the 2nd half... first timeout he called in 2nd half was with only a 1pt lead and 7:18 left.   So Beard allowed tcu to outscore Texas by 17pts over 13 minutes without calling even 1 timeout.   DUMBASS !!!

He loves saving those timeouts. No doubt the collapse was on him.

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

He loves saving those timeouts. No doubt the collapse was on him.

Yeah, no way Self or Coach K wait 13 minutes and give up 17pts advantage without calling at least 1 timeout -- not with this mentally challenged Texas team right now...

21 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I know there is a lot of warranted bitching about Carr but this collapse is squarely on Beard's coaching today.  He'll probably own it, as he should.

He doesn’t GAF about the CON Tournament.

I don’t either.  They are pretty much a waste of time unless you’re fighting for the AQ in the Patriot League or some shit.

Edited by slorch

Side benefit to this bad loss- More time to rest legs before the NCAAs. We’ll be fine (hopefully). 

Break out the pitchforks if we lose to an 11-12 seed in R1 a la Shaka. Remember we won this shitshow last year and lost to ACU in the worst basketball game ever played.

/optimist

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, deac_tracy said:

Chris Beard was 1-4 in the Big 12 tournament at Tech.  The 2018 team aka the team that made the National Championship went 0-1 in the Big 12 tourney. 

I wouldn't put too much stock in this game.

2019, but otherwise you are spot-on.

Beard doesn't give a rats ass about the conference tournament.

15 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I thought we had one of the best teams in the country. Beard told us so. 

Beard lies. All the time. I mean, ask UNLV and Tech fans. But he lies here as well.

He hosted Tom Penders on his radio program a few weeks ago. When asked for his thoughts on Penders by Craig Way, Beard said, "Penders had a way of making everyone believe we were going to win the next game, regardless of the opponent. I never walked on to a court where I thought we would lose." If there's nothing else Beard took from Penders (and there's plenty) that's the main thing. He values making his team feel like they're giants. I've heard him talking about this team being one of the teams that can win it all in pretty much every recorded appearance in the last 2 to 3 weeks. I mean, he makes it a point to bring it up. 

I don't believe that. Do you? Maybe Beard believes it. He probably does. But he's lying to himself and to us when he says it. There's a point to the messaging, though. He wants to give his team the best chance to win, and he feels like this is the best way to do it.

Our responsibility as fans is to figure out how we're going to respond to it. For those of us who believe that messaging hook line and sinker, we're going to have the same reaction when it turns out not to be true that Tech fans had when it turns out Tech wasn't his dream job after all, and he wasn't living in unending bliss in Lubbock like he indicated. Expectations are important. I'm not a believer in being a pessimistic just so you're prepared when things don't work out. That sounds miserable. But I also don't believe in being unrealistically optimistic, either, because then we have a reaction that's not justified by reality. 

I feel like a first round win is a very realistic aspiration for this team. I will be disappointed if they don't find a way to attain that. Anything beyond it is going to exceed my expectations. Which I hope for, but don't expect.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

Beard lies. All the time. I mean, ask UNLV and Tech fans. But he lies here as well.

He hosted Tom Penders on his radio program a few weeks ago. When asked for his thoughts on Penders by Craig Way, Beard said, "Penders had a way of making everyone believe we were going to win the next game, regardless of the opponent. I never walked on to a court where I thought we would lose." If there's nothing else Beard took from Penders (and there's plenty) that's the main thing. He values making his team feel like they're giants. I've heard him talking about this team being one of the teams that can win it all in pretty much every recorded appearance in the last 2 to 3 weeks. I mean, he makes it a point to bring it up. 

I don't believe that. Do you? Maybe Beard believes it. He probably does. But he's lying to himself and to us when he says it. There's a point to the messaging, though. He wants to give his team the best chance to win, and he feels like this is the best way to do it.

Our responsibility as fans is to figure out how we're going to respond to it. For those of us who believe that messaging hook line and sinker, we're going to have the same reaction when it turns out not to be true that Tech fans had when it turns out Tech wasn't his dream job after all, and he wasn't living in unending bliss in Lubbock like he indicated. Expectations are important. I'm not a believer in being a pessimistic just so you're prepared when things don't work out. That sounds miserable. But I also don't believe in being unrealistically optimistic, either, because then we have a reaction that's not justified by reality. 

I feel like a first round win is a very realistic aspiration for this team. I will be disappointed if they don't find a way to attain that. Anything beyond it is going to exceed my expectations. Which I hope for, but don't expect.

Yes yes yes yes yes.

Hell, that might actually work out to our benefit in the tournament- it never seemed to hurt Penders teams. Some of that "tournament Tom" talk involved draws opening up for us, but I don't recall us losing a round sooner than I expected at all, whereas we went a round further than I expected multiple times.  Would be awesome if the same happened with Beard. That would be sweet 16 this year (a round further than I expect).  First round flame out would be really fucking tough. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yes yes yes yes yes.

Hell, that might actually work out to our benefit in the tournament- it never seemed to hurt Penders teams. Some of that "tournament Tom" talk involved draws opening up for us, but I don't recall us losing a round sooner than I expected at all, whereas we went a round further than I expected multiple times.  Would be awesome if the same happened with Beard. That would be sweet 16 this year (a round further than I expect).  First round flame out would be really fucking tough. 

Yeah, I really do need a round 1 win. Emotionally. It's not going to be good for me as a fan if we manage to drop that one. Let's see what the matchup is and go from there.

9 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yes yes yes yes yes.

Yes. Maybe we get a draw that opens up like UH got last year facing double digit seeds all the way to the Final 4, or that draw Baylor got when they made it to the Elite 8 facing double digit seeds, which kick started Drew's run. Shit, even last year, Baylor didn't face their seeded expected opponent until the championship game.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, slorch said:

I don’t either.  They are pretty much a waste of time unless you’re fighting for the AQ in the Patriot League or some shit.

Yea makes sense for a Kansas or Baylor that have their 1/2 seed on lock. It matters when losing to tcu could drop you a seed or two and possibly be a 6/7/8 seed. But I agree when you’re that 1-3 range and have it locked down no matter what.

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

Yea makes sense for a Kansas or Baylor that have their 1/2 seed on lock. It matters when losing to tcu could drop you a seed or two and possibly be a 6/7/8 seed. But I agree when you’re that 1-3 range and have it locked down no matter what.

That likely cost Texas a seed line. Which is fine. I'd rather be 6 than 4/5.

1 hour ago, Loop 1604 said:

Side benefit to this bad loss- More time to rest legs before the NCAAs. We’ll be fine (hopefully). 

Break out the pitchforks if we lose to an 11-12 seed in R1 a la Shaka. Remember we won this shitshow last year and lost to ACU in the worst basketball game ever played.

/optimist

This team is offensively challenged and has all the makings of a first round NCAA loss. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

This team is offensively challenged and has all the makings of a first round NCAA loss. 

Don’t you know? That’s beards secret. Look inconsistent all season, blow a huge lead in the opening round becaise he really doesn’t give a fuck about conference tourney which shows how we got out to that big lead thennnn profit in the ncaa tourney. It’s all part of the plan. Get with it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Yeah, I really do need a round 1 win. Emotionally. It's not going to be good for me as a fan if we manage to drop that one. Let's see what the matchup is and go from there.

Really hope Texas plays 1st game on Friday -- would rather enjoy 1st day of NCAA Tournament without Texas playing. 

Hell schedule Texas Friday night -- please... 😂😂😂

3 hours ago, slorch said:

I don't care if he cares about the conf tournament(which I think is BS all coaches spout) but he needs to give a shit about not losing to TCU.  and it might cost us a seed line.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Really hope Texas plays 1st game on Friday -- would rather enjoy 1st day of NCAA Tournament without Texas playing. 

Hell schedule Texas Friday night -- please... 😂😂😂

I hear ya. I don’t mind if Texas wins. But when they lose my passion for the tournament takes a big dump. The good thing about Shaka is I always expected it. Maybe not exactly with Abilene Christian, but I wasn’t wholly unprepared for it, and by the time the game ended I had certainly made peace with it as surely the final nail in the coffin of this fucking vampire of a coach. 

So rather than Friday instead of Thursday, I’m just fervently hoping for a win regardless of the day. But I do understand where you’re coming from. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Watch the committee try to fuck us with a bad seeding and a tough first round matchup, especially because we had an early exit from the tournament and haven't been playing our best basketball as of late. I don't recall Texas ever getting a seeding better than expected. Same applies to baseball as well. Everyone hates us.

11 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I hear ya. I don’t mind if Texas wins. But when they lose my passion for the tournament takes a big dump. The good thing about Shaka is I always expected it. Maybe not exactly with Abilene Christian, but I wasn’t wholly unprepared for it, and by the time the game ended I had certainly made peace with it as surely the final nail in the coffin of this fucking vampire of a coach. 

So rather than Friday instead of Thursday, I’m just fervently hoping for a win regardless of the day. But I do understand where you’re coming from. 

Yeah, playing early and losing today sucks -- if I watch any B12 games today they just keep repeating how Texas blew an 18pt halftime lead and lost to the Toads.  

Hard to enjoy any games today with the terrible taste of the stupid Texas loss today --  FUCK !!!

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, UTEE97 said:

Watch the committee try to fuck us with a bad seeding and a tough first round matchup, especially because we had an early exit from the tournament and haven't been playing our best basketball as of late. I don't recall Texas ever getting a seeding better than expected. Same applies to baseball as well. Everyone hates us.

I'm not as concerned whether Texas gets a # 5 or #6 Seed -- just match the Horns up with a team that we will likely beat.  Not some team that's seeded wrong and is a nightmare matchup for Texas...

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I'm not as concerned whether Texas gets a # 5 or #6 Seed -- just match the Horns up with a team that we will likely beat.  Not some team that's seeded wrong and is a nightmare matchup for Texas...

So, no Abilene Christian? Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

4 hours ago, deac_tracy said:

Chris Beard was 1-4 in the Big 12 tournament at Tech.  The 2018 team aka the team that made the National Championship went 0-1 in the Big 12 tourney. 

I wouldn't put too much stock in this game.

Ahh, keeping the team fresh for March Madness.

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

23 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

#11 Temple says hi!

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, 6th Street said:

please expound on this. making statements like this with nothing to back it up is pointless.  i find it hard to believe that a truly elite defensive team with a great tourney coach "has all the makings" of losing in the first round as a favored seed, but maybe you can change my mind with something more substantive than this ten word post you've made.