2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

2 hours ago, JFKFC said:

Sark ignores the transfer portal for linemen. 

Maybe he's trying to build a program instead of operate a revolving door where success on both lines is a crapshoot season to season. Are you aware of what the makeup of the 2022 class was? You can't be 2 deep just from pulling transfers every year. 

56 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Of course. This goes back to a conversation from months ago. I felt (and still feel) that not getting immediate help on both lines via the transfer portal could lead to a disappointing season in 2022 and could lead to losing some of our elite freshman o-line talent. This was previously beat to death, but for some reason, someone wanted to revive it this morning. 

Oh Boy Here We Go GIFs | Tenor

• Hook 'Em 1

For this 2022 team, 8-4 is not a good sign ??
You're kidding right ??   

Let us have our moment. He supported my claim. That doesn’t happen.

For me right now, anything less than 8-4 is a disappointment. Regardless of final record, there should be a post season evaluation of performance and what that means. It is certainly possible 8-4 after seeing it play out is more understandable.

We could have won 8 games last year in our sleep if we didn't have a bunch of fucking pussies on the team and Casey didn't hurt his thumb. BJ Foster and Josh Moore ain't walking through that door. 

Ah, you punks and your eloquent words. But yeah we could have won 8 pretty easily.

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I will throw a fucking party if Steve Sarklostagain pulls off 8 wins this season. That's the height of my fantasies. I just don't think the dude is a head coach.  If they exceed 8-4, drinks are on me for an hour at whatever spring game happy hour @immamac wants to set up.

I might come in from Colorado for this.

• Haha 4

8-4 is the ceiling (predicting anything above that is getting drawn back into the ‘We’re Back!’ bullshit that inevitably leaves me crestfallen and drunk with a 4+ rage erection).   Not this time Texas football!

A ceiling is a prediction, but is conditional on all factors going our way. If Ewers is freshman all-american and Bijan wins the Heisman and defense becomes average, then we win the Big 12. That is a possible scenario, but probably not the most likely.

21 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

8-4 in year 2 of a head coach isn't good sign. we should see much better improvement.   Biggest jump in performance should be in year 2.

Colt's 2nd year starting QB was 2007. 

Screenshot_2022-07-28-12-05-25_kindlephoto-11339083.png.afa92f13a7f43a8eb84965a36d35753f.png

I see some similarities between this 2022 team and the 2007 Texas team that went 5-3 in conference.  And that 2007 team didn't have #1 Alabama on their OOC schedule to give them a 4th loss.

Colt was an accurate QB running for his life due to poor blocking in 2007.  Hopefully our 2022 QB doesn't throw 18 interceptions, but there will be growing pains this year.

I believe an 8-4 regular season record shows signs of improvement.  I

Like ctj, anything better is cause for a celebration... 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I will throw a fucking party if Steve Sarklostagain pulls off 8 wins this season. That's the height of my fantasies. I just don't think the dude is a head coach.  If they exceed 8-4, drinks are on me for an hour at whatever spring game happy hour @immamac wants to set up.

If Texas wins 9 games and Blue is still on the team, next spring game is going to be epic. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Colt's 2nd year starting QB was 2007. 

Screenshot_2022-07-28-12-05-25_kindlephoto-11339083.png.afa92f13a7f43a8eb84965a36d35753f.png

I see some similarities between this 2022 team and the 2007 Texas team that went 5-3 in conference.  And that 2007 team didn't have #1 Alabama on their OOC schedule to give them a 4th loss.

Colt was an accurate QB running for his life due to poor blocking in 2007.  Hopefully our 2022 QB doesn't throw 18 interceptions, but there will be growing pains this year.

I believe an 8-4 regular season record shows signs of improvement.  I

Like ctj, anything better is cause for a celebration... 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

Ewers should be better than sophomore Colt. I mean, grain of salt and all that but Colt's 07 production should be easy to surpass. 

59 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Agree....8 or fewer wins in 2022 is not a good sign 

We are running out a brand new QB with no college starts. He will be behind a line of mostly true freshman, or mostly subpar veterans, or some mixture of the 2. We will also have essentially the same front 7 on D that was completely helpless against Kansas. We will have a new kicker & punter. Does that sound like double digit wins to you?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I can already taste that hour of blantons I am going to put down

• Haha 6

There's gonna be some angry mother fuckers on here 4 months from now. 8-4 is a marked improvement and in my view a realistic goal. 9-3 is tops and 6-6 also in the realm of possibility. 

Probably be some angry dudes if we go 8-4 and blow games in the manner we did last year.

9-3 being the ceiling is nothing more than fragile minds. Many of those same Baylor badasses we now fear won nothing two years ago.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Just listened to Athlon Cover2 Podcast predictions on the B12 results.

Texas 7-5  4th place slightly ahead of K-State

• baylor   10-3  (1st)
  • blOU       9-4  (2nd)
  • okie lite   8-4  (3rd)

2021 results in one score games

• Texas     2-5 
  • baylor     4-1
  • okie lite   6-2
  • blOU        6-1

Baylor lost a lot on defense. Terrell Bernard and Pitre were the main drivers of that defense. They lost basically their entire secondary. Is Baylor a team that can lose 4 players to the first 3 rounds of the draft and not miss a beat? I doubt it

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Baylor lost a lot on defense. Terrell Bernard and Pitre were the main drivers of that defense. They lost basically their entire secondary. Is Baylor a team that can lose 4 players to the first 3 rounds of the draft and not miss a beat? I doubt it

They are stout along the DL. Might have the best OL and DL combo in the Big 12. Secondary is definitely a big question mark but it's a lot easier to break in new pieces back there when you are beating teams at the LOS.

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Just listened to Athlon Cover2 Podcast predictions on the B12 results.

Texas 7-5  4th place slightly ahead of K-State

• baylor   10-3  (1st)
  • blOU       9-4  (2nd)
  • okie lite   8-4  (3rd)

2021 results in one score games

• Texas     2-5 
  • baylor     4-1
  • okie lite   6-2
  • blOU        6-1

The solution is obvious: blowout victories.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

They are stout along the DL. Might have the best OL and DL combo in the Big 12. Secondary is definitely a big question mark but it's a lot easier to break in new pieces back there when you are beating teams at the LOS.

It doesn’t mean anything for next year, but we held them to roughly half of their season TFL average. We should have torn their pass D a new one too.

Bernard was the only BU guy in top 100 in sacks. Along with Pitre, that is 31 TFLs and 11 sacks gone. Their leading interceptor is gone too.

Believe they lost a vast majority of their WR production. Their QB experience is somewhat limited, and the depth has transferred.

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

They return pretty much both lines. It is very good to break in essentially a brand new back 7. I would argue it is much harder to replace your secondary, than your DL. Safety is one of the tougher positions to start inexperience. The defense was the reason Baylor won the Big 12 and they driver of the that defense was the back end

Benard #1 in sacks (7.5), #2 in TFLS, #1 in tackles

Pitre Big 12 DPOY. #5 in sacks (3.5), #1 in TFLS (18.5), #3 in tackles

Woods was also drafted. #4 in tackles (FS 3rd round pick)

Lost Both CBs (Texada and Barnes 7 rnd and fastest player in the draft). 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

It doesn’t mean anything for next year, but we held them to roughly half of their season TFL average. We should have torn their pass D a new one too.

Bernard was the only BU guy in top 100 in sacks. Along with Pitre, that is 31 TFLs and 11 sacks gone. Their leading interceptor is gone too.

Believe they lost a vast majority of their WR production. Their QB experience is somewhat limited, and the depth has transferred.

Their skill positions are a huge question mark. Especially WR.

44 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

We didn't lose anyone important to the draft this year so we got that going for us.

we lost just as much, if not more, as every other school, just not to the draft.  lots to prove.  7-5 would be a step, maybe not a large step, but we'd have to be see that as improvement

52 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Lots of preseason picks have baylor in B12 Championship Game.

"Bears are ranked No. 11 in Athlon Sports' Top 25 for the 2022 college football season"

Fyi, Good write up on baylor in link below

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/baylor-football-bears-prediction-preview-2022

19 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Lots of preseason picks have baylor in B12 Championship Game.

"Bears are ranked No. 11 in Athlon Sports' Top 25 for the 2022 college football season"

Fyi, Good write up on baylor in link below

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/baylor-football-bears-prediction-preview-2022

I see it, I just think people are over-estimating Baylor. I believe Bernard started his first game 4 years ago.  Pitre started 8 games in 2017.  Texada arrived at Baylor in 2016 and has started 4 seasons. Barnes is a 4 year player and 2 year starter. Woods was another 4 year player with 28 starts. You can play a lot of games and be real aggressive when your back 7 has this kind of experience. People think this defense just popped up out of no-where, when the real story is this team was recruited by Matt Rhule and they back -end had like 80-100 starts combined and 20+ years of experience.  There kids were all part of that 11 win team from 2 years ago. 

Edited by Codaxx

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I am pretty sure I can down a bottle of Clase Azul in an hour. I look forward to this... because we are going to win at least 9. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, JFKFC said:

As good as UTSA is right now, it is still unthinkable to lose that game with the talent we have. This season starts week 4 on the road in Lubbock. I don't think I will be able to watch that game live. I am very concerned. 

Are you this big of a pussy in real life or do you just enjoy “fitting in” on the internets? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I’d love to see Card start, we win 9 games, and Blue is still on roster for the Ctj response. 

2 hours ago, FreeHorn said:

If Texas wins 9 games and Blue is still on the team, next spring game is going to be epic. 

I don't remember a Blue bet. Who did I make it with and for what amount?

Also, any fuckers thinking they're going to game the system order up Pappy or Johnny Walker Blue or some shit must live in fantasyland. I'll hedge my exposure, as I do understand what degenerates I'm dealing with here.

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't remember a Blue bet. Who did I make it with and for what amount?

No amount. You promised your Surly family you would shit out a solid gold football and set yourself on fire if Blue is still on the team Spring Game 2023. 

We are headed to an recession so just trying to get that gold football versus having to invest my own money in the gold market. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

30 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Also, any fuckers thinking they're going to game the system order up Pappy or Johnny Walker Blue or some shit must live in fantasyland. I'll hedge my exposure, as I do understand what degenerates I'm dealing with here.

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

• Haha 2

Baylor had a very good team strategy last year. They knew they could play stout defense, so their offense was "wide zone". That is, shuffle to the right and try to bash your way to 4 yards when you see a crease. Abram Smith was the perfect "John Riggins" (I'm old) style back for that. This did two things. It drew the defenses up to allow the infrequent passing game a wider latitude and, more critically, it wasted a heckuva lot of time. By limiting possessions, Baylor only had to hang on 4 or 5 times.

Now one of two things could be true here. It could be that Jeff Grimes (Baylor's OC) is a genius who analyzed his available skill set and tailored an offense that exactly leveraged those talents. It could also be the case that this just happened to be the one he ran at BYU and it's really all he knows and was thrilled it worked out.

I do know that this version must absolutely look different. The offense will almost certainly need to score more points since it's unlikely the defense will be as stiff. This same offense won't have the proven power backs and will rely on new runners to execute the gap reads. In the same vein, there are no experienced WR. The QB is conceptually more suited to passing, but was raw last season and didn't show much. Is Baylor's OL really that good when asked to straight pass block, or did they manage to get in the way while Smith bashed over the defense?

• Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

Baylor had a very good team strategy last year. They knew they could play stout defense, so their offense was "wide zone". That is, shuffle to the right and try to bash your way to 4 yards when you see a crease. Abram Smith was the perfect "John Riggins" (I'm old) style back for that. This did two things. It drew the defenses up to allow the infrequent passing game a wider latitude and, more critically, it wasted a heckuva lot of time. By limiting possessions, Baylor only had to hang on 4 or 5 times.

Now one of two things could be true here. It could be that Jeff Grimes (Baylor's OC) is a genius who analyzed his available skill set and tailored an offense that exactly leveraged those talents. It could also be the case that this just happened to be the one he ran at BYU and it's really all he knows and was thrilled it worked out.

I do know that this version must absolutely look different. The offense will almost certainly need to score more points since it's unlikely the defense will be as stiff. This same offense won't have the proven power backs and will rely on new runners to execute the gap reads. In the same vein, there are no experienced WR. The QB is conceptually more suited to passing, but was raw last season and didn't show much. Is Baylor's OL really that good when asked to straight pass block, or did they manage to get in the way while Smith bashed over the defense?

Passing Down Sack Rate: Baylor 7.9% 63rd in the nation. Texas was at 6.8% or 45th in the country.. That is the numbers on passing downs

Overall it was a very good 4.7% 22nd (Texas was 7.5 and 90th)

Average Line yards awas 2.72 for Baylor (50th) (Texas 3.04 12th)

Passign Down rate is probably a better representation of their ability to  pass block, they threw a lot of quick passes on standard downs in the couple games I saw them. 

Average Ling yards 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/sp/overallol/2021

Edited by Codaxx