2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

3 hours ago, CashMcCoy said:

Think IT noted their original report was off. They are now claiming players report on the 2nd and first day of camp is the 3rd.

i can confirm this.  Report 8/2, camp starts 8/3.  Scrimmages 8/13 and 8/20.  Fan appreciation 8/16 (night practice).

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Shaggyhorn said:

According to IT, Byron Murphy is pushing Coburn for starter and Ford has Middle LB locked down barring injury. Having an mainstay interior presence would be huge.

IT has been suggesting reps are going to look a lot different for the DL. 

It's why I was confused about the personnel discussion above. I don't know if the scheme will be any different but the personnel is going to be completely different. I believe some took the idea that only adding 2 transfers meant Texas was going to play the same guys when that's likely not the case at all. 

BIL is kind of a big deal in the entertainment marketing space and has a section of season tickets to the Austin MLS flopping parties. Not a fan but he invited me and I went to appease the wife.  Anyway, one of the dudes that shows up is… connected to the UT FB program to say the least.  We start talking football and he can’t stop about how concerned everyone is about the situation on the line, both sides of the ball. Do we suck again next year because we still suck on the OL and DL?  My kool aide situation is critical, help.

4 minutes ago, Alot said:

BIL is kind of a big deal in the entertainment marketing space and has a section of season tickets to the Austin MLS flopping parties. Not a fan but he invited me and I went to appease the wife.  Anyway, one of the dudes that shows up is… connected to the UT FB program to say the least.  We start talking football and he can’t stop about how concerned everyone is about the situation on the line, both sides of the ball. Do we suck again next year because we still suck on the OL and DL?  My kool aide situation is critical, help.

We just went 5 and freaking 7. Of course there are major concerns on this team. 

Pour some hard stuff in the kool aid and get back to drinking.

• Hook 'Em 2

I’d ask the dude whether he was born into stature or had to work for it. If he was born into it, tell him to man up and sit back and enjoy. If he worked for it, tell him to quit being a wuss and have expectations like he once did for himself.

Then you can tell him OU lost 7 dudes to the draft. Bu lost 6. OSU lost their DC and 2 LBers. We added quality transfers and recruits better than anyone else. And yes our staff does have as good a pedigree as any in the conference.

Read above. Bobby Burton says we may have the best skill talent we’ve ever had.

18 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I’d ask the dude whether he was born into stature or had to work for it. If he was born into it, tell him to man up and sit back and enjoy. If he worked for it, tell him to quit being a wuss and have expectations like he once did for himself.

Then you can tell him OU lost 7 dudes to the draft. Bu lost 6. OSU lost their DC and 2 LBers. We added quality transfers and recruits better than anyone else. And yes our staff does have as good a pedigree as any in the conference.

All good points.  This guy isn’t rich, he works at Belmont and he was referring to the coaching staff when he said there was concern. I just hope we can get the skill guys and QB enough space to be effective and prevent another Arkansas et al on defense.  I guess I have some ptsd from the past decade.  Recalibrating back into “show me results” mode going into the season.

5 hours ago, Alot said:

he can’t stop about how concerned everyone is about the situation on the line, both sides of the ball. Do we suck again next year because we still suck on the OL and DL?  

This isn't going to be a great season for us. The odds are against it being a good season. This guy is 100% correct. Buckle up.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Alot said:

All good points.  This guy isn’t rich, he works at Belmont and he was referring to the coaching staff when he said there was concern. I just hope we can get the skill guys and QB enough space to be effective and prevent another Arkansas et al on defense.  I guess I have some ptsd from the past decade.  Recalibrating back into “show me results” mode going into the season.

4 hours ago, BERT said:

So now Flood and Davis can’t coach? Hurry up Labor Day weekend 

I think he was saying the coaching staff was concerned about the lines.

7 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Baylor probably has the best OL and DL returning in the B12.   OSU has two of the better returning B12 edge rushers and the most experienced returning QB.  Hopefully Venables can't get his defense together for their game at The State Fair of Texas.

Texas will be better this year, but their Defense, OL, and Special Teams are a work in process.  Won't be surprised if Texas ends up with an 8-4 regular season record.

8 hours ago, Alot said:

We start talking football and he can’t stop about how concerned everyone is about the situation on the line, both sides of the ball. Do we suck again next year because we still suck on the OL and DL?  My kool aide situation is critical, help.

For sure this is my biggest concern as well. It gives me ptsd going back to Tom Herman saying that his oline was as good as what they had at Ohio State after watching them against our DL. You know how iron sharpens iron? Shit sharpens shit.

I thought the dline was going to be the strength of the defense last year and they were garbage. Beyond the mental part of the game (knowing assignment and alignment), I don't know how they can even measure progress on either side right now. "Oh look how good your pass rush is" when you blow by Christian Jones. "Great job sealing the edge" against Ovie. Zero sum. 

Let's hope Flood and Davis have earned their paychecks. Alabama should be instructive. Or destructive. 

9 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Baylor probably has the best OL and DL returning in the B12.

Jacob Gall, stud o-lineman...Baylor got him in the transfer portal.

Siaki Ika, stud d-lineman...Baylor got him in the transfer portal.

Sark ignores the transfer portal for linemen. 

Let's see what happens.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Jacob Gall, stud o-lineman...Baylor got him in the transfer portal.

Siaki Ika, stud d-lineman...Baylor got him in the transfer portal.

Sark ignores the transfer portal for linemen. 

Let's see what happens.

Sucks that baylor also added this transfer DL

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2022/01/16/baylor-lands-top-dt-transfer-jaxon-player-from-tulsa/

18 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Sark ignores the transfer portal for linemen

Yeah, he told Jared Verse, Ochaun Mathis, and Drew Sanders to fuck off.   The year before we could have had Ovie Oghoufo, Ray Thornton, and Ben Davis but he said no thanks.

Edited by ClubWhatever
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

For sure this is my biggest concern (DL/OL) as well.  You know how iron sharpens iron? Shit sharpens shit.  Let's hope Flood and Davis have earned their paychecks. Alabama should be instructive. Or destructive. 

Playing great and Winning both games #3 and #4  (UTSA/@Tech) are where we find out if this team can learn and improve.  Can they overcome the Bama beat down.   

Week 2 -- I really don't expect Texas to stay within 17pts of Alabama due to depth issues and most likely ridiculous Sept 10th afternoon heat.  

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Playing great and Winning both games #3 and #4  (UTSA/@Tech)

As good as UTSA is right now, it is still unthinkable to lose that game with the talent we have. This season starts week 4 on the road in Lubbock. I don't think I will be able to watch that game live. I am very concerned. 

Ultimately, it will be show me results. And anything could happen. For me, it would be surprising to see some of the cluster of Arkansas simply because the team is more familiar with the system and coaches desires. And we have upgraded the talent even if some of it is young.

For sure this is my biggest concern as well. It gives me ptsd going back to Tom Herman saying that his oline was as good as what they had at Ohio State after watching them against our DL. You know how iron sharpens iron? Shit sharpens shit.
I thought the dline was going to be the strength of the defense last year and they were garbage. Beyond the mental part of the game (knowing assignment and alignment), I don't know how they can even measure progress on either side right now. "Oh look how good your pass rush is" when you blow by Christian Jones. "Great job sealing the edge" against Ovie. Zero sum. 
Let's hope Flood and Davis have earned their paychecks. Alabama should be instructive. Or destructive. 

2-4 wont hold up a whole season in the big12, even with decent personnel. We were undermanned and mismatched and it was pretty obvious. It demoralized the whole team.

We needed 4 linemen to do anything. But with our personnel, that’s 3 tackles and one edge. And we wpuld get hammered in the passing game, but at least we would have been competitive against the run.

11 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

As good as UTSA is right now, it is still unthinkable to lose that game with the talent we have. This season starts week 4 on the road in Lubbock. I don't think I will be able to watch that game live. I am very concerned. 

Fortunately for us UTSA starts with UH at home then goes on the road vs Army -- both competitive games.  

Gonna be crazy for UTSA to face that physical running Army attack,  followed by Sark's offense.

5 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

2-4 wont hold up a whole season in the big12, even with decent personnel. We were undermanned and mismatched and it was pretty obvious. It demoralized the whole team.

We needed 4 linemen to do anything. But with our personnel, that’s 3 tackles and one edge. And we wpuld get hammered in the passing game, but at least we would have been competitive against the run.

I thought we should have taken our chances and tried to stop the run... We weren't generally a pass rush, so we ended up taking it in both holes...

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I thought we should have taken our chances and tried to stop the run... We weren't generally a pass rush, so we ended up taking it in both holes...

I lost faith in PK (and a lot in Sark) after the Kansas loss. That was a bad team that beat the shit out of us.

His record is like an attorney I knew who had a distinguished career as in-house counsel but then got to a firm where you had billable hours and he struggled.

Baylor probably has the best OL and DL returning in the B12.   OSU has two of the better returning B12 edge rushers and the most experienced returning QB.  Hopefully Venables can't get his defense together for their game at The State Fair of Texas.
Texas will be better this year, but their Defense, OL, and Special Teams are a work in process.  Won't be surprised if Texas ends up with an 8-4 regular season record.

That may be regarding Baylor and as you mentioned they added Player. He probably was going to Baylor regardless, but I heard nothing about Texas having interest in him. That’s a big add. They did lose some key members with a lot of experience on the back half of that defense.

Rodriguez and Harper were the heart of that defense. And losing your DC is big particularly when you are a program that is not plug n play on that side of the ball. It wouldn’t surprise if their offense had quite an uptick though.

ISU, to me, may be the most interesting team. They lose a lot of experience on O, but that may turn out a positive as there are fewer expectations.

There’s a lot concern with our defense and understandably so. People want to pick and choose what are the primary reasons or focus on one player over another. The scheme is frustrating but it can work. Discipline is a big key particularly on the edges. Year 2 in a system is a big deal particularly when you had 3 different guys in charge the previous 3 years including a missed spring of development. We should expect an increase in discipline, consistency and confidence.

Then we need the offense to Tech a few opponents. Run it up and take all their confidence.

16 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

As concerned as you were when Texas signed Kelvin Banks because you think he will just transfer to Bama or Georgia in 2 years?

I remained concerned that, if we have a disappointing season, we could lose multiple players to the transfer portal. I don't want it to happen but I am concerned. 

Just now, JFKFC said:

I remained concerned that, if we have a disappointing season, we could lose multiple players to the transfer portal. I don't want it to happen but I am concerned. 

I hate to tell you but Texas is going to lose multiple players to the transfer portal even with a good season. 

Bobby:

- I continue to hear positive remarks on Brenen Thompson behind the scenes. I’m not there yet on saying he’s getting the same reviews as Xavier Worthy a year ago. But I know part of that is the receiver room itself, and the expectations of it, have changed so drastically in just one year. Worthy himself probably wouldn’t stand out as much a year ago given guys like Isaiah Neyor and Agiye Hall being added to the mix from a sheer talent perspective. Keep an eye on Thompson as practice begins next week.

For what it’s worth, one 7on7 onlooker described the way Hall gets downfield as “he runs like a deer”. Those are words you like to hear about a major downfield threat.

- As a reminder, The Pancake Factory is set to begin on August 1. There are some other things I know are in the works that I will share with IT members soon. - @RGBIII spill the beans

- This is a crucial next few days in recruiting. Not only is Texas hosting key recruits this week, but so too are A&M and Oklahoma. Texas has been on an absurd roll the last two months. The Sooners have been on a good one, too. The Aggies have been stuck in the mud, don’t expect that to last forever.

- I’m hearing the three annual rivals for Texas in the SEC would be Arkansas, A&M and OU. That should surprise no one. Interestingly, I am told that some folks in the SEC office want to see Texas-LSU over Texas-Arkansas. Apparently, that matchup whets the appetite of the TV folks much more.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I hate to tell you but Texas is going to lose multiple players to the transfer portal even with a good season. 

Of course. This goes back to a conversation from months ago. I felt (and still feel) that not getting immediate help on both lines via the transfer portal could lead to a disappointing season in 2022 and could lead to losing some of our elite freshman o-line talent. This was previously beat to death, but for some reason, someone wanted to revive it this morning. 

Just now, JFKFC said:

Of course. This goes back to a conversation from months ago. I felt (and still feel) that not getting immediate help on both lines via the transfer portal could lead to a disappointing season in 2022 and could lead to losing some of our elite freshman o-line talent. This was previously beat to death, but for some reason, someone wanted to revive it this morning. 

I don't really get the argument. You think adding transfer OL would help keep the elite freshman o-line talent? 

Freshman want to play and not sit on the bench. I think it's much more likely that somebody like Banks transfers if he doesn't play versus a bad season. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't really get the argument. You think adding transfer OL would help keep the elite freshman o-line talent? 

Freshman want to play and not sit on the bench. I think it's much more likely that somebody like Banks transfers if he doesn't play versus a bad season. 

I think Banks will likely start no matter what.

I think we all know we aren't going to roll out 5 true freshman to start the season on the o-line. I would have rather picked up a couple of functional 1-year rentals on the o-line to start instead of some of the guys we will be re-starting. With our elite skill position talent, a functional o-line would buy us 2 to 3 more wins from last season. I'm worried if we have a 5 or 6 win season in 2022 that we could lose elite young players like Banks who want to win. That is it. I hope we don't have a losing season and I hope we don't lose any of our top o-line recruits. 

Just listened to Athlon Cover2 Podcast predictions on the B12 results.

Texas 7-5  4th place slightly ahead of K-State

• baylor   10-3  (1st)
  • blOU       9-4  (2nd)
  • okie lite   8-4  (3rd)

2021 results in one score games

• Texas     2-5 
  • baylor     4-1
  • okie lite   6-2
  • blOU        6-1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

There is zero reason to believe that our line will be worse than last year. We lost Kerstetter, who was a try hard guy with a very limited ceiling. We have one of those guys left on the line now in Angilau, but he is a 4 year starter. Banks should be able to roll out of bed and beat Karic at LT. It wouldn't shock me to see another freshman beat out Jones on the right side, especially as the season progresses, but maybe it happens during camp. They are freshmen, there will be mistakes, but the floor is exponentially higher than what we have seen on the line for the last decade. Bama might run through us like shit through a goose, but by the time we hit conference play we should have some stability and see that upward trajectory. 

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

There is zero reason to believe that our line will be worse than last year. We lost Kerstetter, who was a try hard guy with a very limited ceiling. We have one of those guys left on the line now in Angilau, but he is a 4 year starter. Banks should be able to roll out of bed and beat Karic at LT. It wouldn't shock me to see another freshman beat out Jones on the right side, especially as the season progresses, but maybe it happens during camp. They are freshmen, there will be mistakes, but the floor is exponentially higher than what we have seen on the line for the last decade. Bama might run through us like shit through a goose, but by the time we hit conference play we should have some stability and see that upward trajectory. 

I hope you are correct. Functionally, last year, Kerstetter was our best o-lineman. I really hope the freshman are contributing in a major way by the OU game this season.

I hope you are correct. Functionally, last year, Kerstetter was our best o-lineman. I really hope the freshman are contributing in a major way by the OU game this season.

They will be contributing in a major way in the first quarter of the first game.
  • Hook 'Em 1