2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

One of these years, we will overachieve. It has to happen eventually. The last time was, what, 2008?

Sugar bowl 2018 in my opinion given the recent decade of failures.  We went from. 6-7 win team to playing in the big 12 championship and beating two top 10 teams in ou and UGA.

I think we’re more likely to go 10-2 than 6-7 wins.  If this staff can’t beat the teams in this league with all the coaching turnover with a “generational” QB, 2-3 NFL WRs, 2 NFL RBs (one who is a Heisman candidate) and a 5 star TE…. Then I’m not sure what else this program can do to be competitive.  Gary Patterson helping on defense should be huge as well.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Nope said:

8-4

Loss to Bama

1 WTF loss (Traylor?)

2 “not surprised” loses

Bama (but I think we play better than a lot of ppl think) (LSU 2018) 

I think we do better than 8-4 honestly we’re to talented not to. (yes we say this every year) One of this years we will live up to the hype why not this one! 

• Like 1

I was hoping this would happen as we are already thin at the position.  As a couple of people said before, this is what Elko did at aggy having big DE's that help in the run game.

Sorrell should be Moro Ojomo’s primary backup at defensive end

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I was hoping this would happen as we are already thin at the position.  As a couple of people said before, this is what Elko did at aggy having big DE's that help in the run game.

Sorrell should be Moro Ojomo’s primary backup at defensive end

Sorrell got cratered in the spring game every time he want against a scholarship tackle. I don't think anyone is under the illusion that he will be starting. 

The best DL lineup is probably Ojomo-Murphy-Collins-Ovie.

#2 would be Finkly-Coburn-Sweat-Sorrell, with hopefully Finkley developing as the season progresses and gets more minutes.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Broughton get passed by Ross.  Overshown maybe get some time at EDGE on obvious passing downs, and Tapp emerges at some point in the season.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

Sorrell got cratered in the spring game every time he want against a scholarship tackle. I don't think anyone is under the illusion that he will be starting. 

I remember last year he made some plays early in the season and we never saw him again.

32 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Bama (but I think we play better than a lot of ppl think) (LSU 2018) 

I think we do better than 8-4 honestly we’re to talented not to. (yes we say this every year) One of this years we will live up to the hype why not this one! 

8 straight games before a bye that ends with 3game stretch of blOU, Iowa State, @Okie Lite is not an easy way to start B12 season.  Final 4games are @Kstate, tcu, @KU, and baylor. 

Still feels like 8-4 would be a good regular season result...

• Hook 'Em 1

If Kitan is the athlete they keep hyping him up to be, I wish we would have kept him at corner and played Watts at safety. They keep making it seem like Thompson is going to hold on to one of the safety spots and I just don’t see much athleticism in a Thompson Cook duo. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, LTtxfan said:

8 straight games before a bye that ends with 3game stretch of blOU, Iowa State, @Okie Lite is not an easy way to start B12 season.  Final 4games are @Kstate, tcu, @KU, and baylor. 

Still feels like 8-4 would be a good regular season result...

Definitely would be , it’s progress but none of those teams you just named are better then us (Talent wise) we just have to stop selling ourselves short and play/coach up to our capabilities/potential  .. . I just feel like going 8-4 it’s gonna be games we should have won but didn’t. 

still all and all you never know wat the season holds , I’d be good with 8-4 cause it’s better than 5-7 lol 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, FreeHorn said:

If Kitan is the athlete they keep hyping him up to be, I wish we would have kept him at corner and played Watts at safety. They keep making it seem like Thompson is going to hold on to one of the safety spots and I just don’t see much athleticism in a Thompson Cook duo. 

I’d disagree, Watts is thin, unlike Crawford who had the frame and physicality  to come down and feel the holes. . Plus he’s still able to cover the inside slot unlike Foster . . If what they’re saying is true I believe the coaches are just trying to give Thompson (who they say is very smart and knows the D) a chance to hold his spot, but just like Card and Thompson last year when the Lights come on we’ll see . 

My prediction is 

CB - Watts , Jamison (Honestly I’m on the fence with Jamison , after his play from last year, hopefully he’s getting pushed through camp though) 

NB - Barron

Saftey - Cook , Crawford 

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Humidor:  It was interesting that Ovie Oghoufo was named one of the four UT representatives for Big 12 media days so we had to dig on that. The quote we were given was, ”He’s real likable, but also doesn’t say a whole lot so he’s a safe guy to send.” We joked about him being safer than sending Ojomo. As a player, he was described as “the vet with a ton to prove.” He and Overshown are in a similar boat this spring and if the coaches have their way, they’ll often be racing to the quarterback from the outside.

So glad that Coburn is not going -- he's been such a disappointment at Texas.  Hope they continue to keep Keondre out of future Texas media availabilities unless he starts playing well...

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, D3zii said:

I’d disagree, Watts is thin, unlike Crawford who had the frame and physicality  to come down and feel the holes. . Plus he’s still able to cover the inside slot unlike Foster . . If what they’re saying is true I believe the coaches are just trying to give Thompson (who they say is very smart and knows the D) a chance to hold his spot, but just like Card and Thompson last year when the Lights come on we’ll see . 

My prediction is 

CB - Watts , Jamison (Honestly I’m on the fence with Jamison , after his play from last year, hopefully he’s getting pushed through camp though) 

NB - Barron

Saftey - Cook , Crawford 

Jamison was ass in spring game too

The best DL lineup is probably Ojomo-Murphy-Collins-Ovie.
#2 would be Finkly-Coburn-Sweat-Sorrell, with hopefully Finkley developing as the season progresses and gets more minutes.

I’d refer you to Coburn vs K-State for two late drives on 3rd/4th and short. He impacted 3 of the 4 plays from what I recall. We need that dude.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

One of these years, we will overachieve. It has to happen eventually. The last time was, what, 2008?

Honestly I thought we were gonna go like 4-8 in 2013. Greg Robinson and our o line saved our ass that year. And of course we unnecessarily burned swoopes redshirt against like Kansas and when we were getting our asses kicked by Oregon. Sweet now I’m all pissed at Mack again 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Watts is pretty massive for a CB.  He’s bigger than our safeties.  In fact, Michael Griffin was laughing on LHN when they were calling him a corner.  

16 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Watts is pretty massive for a CB.  He’s bigger than our safeties.  In fact, Michael Griffin was laughing on LHN when they were calling him a corner.  

Yea he is 210. So he’s not small by any means when I said thin i ment Frame wise, but if you take Watts from CB who do you out there?? Jamison is already suspect , so you need at least one good CB. . That’s why I’d rather Crawford plus we’ve all seen the physicality Crawford brings. . I think it’s just now him learning the Defense and where he fits , and playing fast 

58 minutes ago, D3zii said:

I’d disagree, Watts is thin, unlike Crawford who had the frame and physicality  to come down and feel the holes. . Plus he’s still able to cover the inside slot unlike Foster . . 

We keep hearing that our coaches want more man coverage. Watts can press with his length but I don’t believe he has make up speed. Crawford does. Honestly I wanted Crawford and Barron to get the reps last year at corner. 

watts has a huge frame so him lurking over the middle from safety would be nice. 

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Humidor:

By: Justin, Gerry, and Eric

*We’re closing in on football. IT has learned the first day of fall camp will be August 4th. Before then, the team will get a short break from the end of July before reporting back on August 3rd.

*Given the holiday week, the team was given more freedom but still had to prove they got in three workouts. Many players stayed in town and used ‘open gym’ while others went home and worked out locally.

*Next week it’s back to normal for the final push through offseason until their short break on July 31st. That means running, weights, film, time with coaches, and 7 on 7.

*With there not being much to report on workouts or 7 on 7 from the week, IT asked some general questions. Team sources indicated a handful of defensive players looking bigger, faster, and stronger this offseason from last (though, a number of guys have lost some weight from the spring in the summer heat):

Kitan Crawford looks and moves about as well as a football player can. He is so frequently mentioned as one of the top “prospects” on the team it’s frustrating to have to wait and see it, but expect him to be massaged into snaps this season.

Jaylan Ford is progressing daily and known for hard work. It’s a bit difficult to get a read on front-seven players in the offseason but hope continues to be high for him after a solid spring. Sources feel he’ll develop into a draft pick.

If Demarvion Overshown stays healthy, “he’ll do damage this fall.” We wouldn’t expect this to come from playing inside, but rather on the outside playing upfield.

Barryn Sorrell is progressing and increasing size and strength. He has top 5 attitude and work ethic on the team. He will play both defensive end and Jack, but that’s different from last year. D-end and Jack are often on the field at the same time this season as opposed to being either a DE or Jack and then a Buck opposite them. Sorrell should be Moro Ojomo’s primary backup at defensive end.

It was interesting that Ovie Oghoufo was named one of the four UT representatives for Big 12 media days so we had to dig on that. The quote we were given was, ”He’s real likable, but also doesn’t say a whole lot so he’s a safe guy to send.” We joked about him being safer than sending Ojomo. As a player, he was described as “the vet with a ton to prove.” He and Overshown are in a similar boat this spring and if the coaches have their way, they’ll often be racing to the quarterback from the outside.

Anthony Cook seems primed for a big year. He’s taken well to safety and he and Jerrin Thompson have a very good understanding of the defense and coverages. (speaking for myself, I do have some concerns about run support from this duo)

"Anthony Cook seems primed for a big year. He’s taken well to safety and he and Jerrin Thompson have a very good understanding of the defense and coverages. (speaking for myself, I do have some concerns about run support from this duo)"

That makes me feel awesome, because I dont have a lot of faith in that grouping in coverage. They are slow, but fortunately not fast either. 

Just now, Codaxx said:

"Anthony Cook seems primed for a big year. He’s taken well to safety and he and Jerrin Thompson have a very good understanding of the defense and coverages. (speaking for myself, I do have some concerns about run support from this duo)"

That makes me feel awesome, because I dont have a lot of faith in that grouping in coverage. They are slow, but fortunately not fast either. 

This is the area where Gary P needs to earn his paycheck 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Humidor:

By: Justin, Gerry, and Eric

*We’re closing in on football. IT has learned the first day of fall camp will be August 4th. Before then, the team will get a short break from the end of July before reporting back on August 3rd.

*Given the holiday week, the team was given more freedom but still had to prove they got in three workouts. Many players stayed in town and used ‘open gym’ while others went home and worked out locally.

*Next week it’s back to normal for the final push through offseason until their short break on July 31st. That means running, weights, film, time with coaches, and 7 on 7.

*With there not being much to report on workouts or 7 on 7 from the week, IT asked some general questions. Team sources indicated a handful of defensive players looking bigger, faster, and stronger this offseason from last (though, a number of guys have lost some weight from the spring in the summer heat):

Kitan Crawford looks and moves about as well as a football player can. He is so frequently mentioned as one of the top “prospects” on the team it’s frustrating to have to wait and see it, but expect him to be massaged into snaps this season.

Jaylan Ford is progressing daily and known for hard work. It’s a bit difficult to get a read on front-seven players in the offseason but hope continues to be high for him after a solid spring. Sources feel he’ll develop into a draft pick.

If Demarvion Overshown stays healthy, “he’ll do damage this fall.” We wouldn’t expect this to come from playing inside, but rather on the outside playing upfield.

Barryn Sorrell is progressing and increasing size and strength. He has top 5 attitude and work ethic on the team. He will play both defensive end and Jack, but that’s different from last year. D-end and Jack are often on the field at the same time this season as opposed to being either a DE or Jack and then a Buck opposite them. Sorrell should be Moro Ojomo’s primary backup at defensive end.

It was interesting that Ovie Oghoufo was named one of the four UT representatives for Big 12 media days so we had to dig on that. The quote we were given was, ”He’s real likable, but also doesn’t say a whole lot so he’s a safe guy to send.” We joked about him being safer than sending Ojomo. As a player, he was described as “the vet with a ton to prove.” He and Overshown are in a similar boat this spring and if the coaches have their way, they’ll often be racing to the quarterback from the outside.

Anthony Cook seems primed for a big year. He’s taken well to safety and he and Jerrin Thompson have a very good understanding of the defense and coverages. (speaking for myself, I do have some concerns about run support from this duo)

Jerrin knew where to be last year, his problem is making a tackle. Safety play last year was horrid.

• Rage+1 1

Not sure about Thompson, but Cook is a physical tackler...not sure where the run support concern is coming from. I'm far more concerned about runners breaking through our first two levels on the regular.

Jerrin knew where to be last year, his problem is making a tackle. Safety play last year was horrid.

Agree. But we’re not going to develop safeties by having them have to make plays against running backs running untouched into the secondary. There was no edge, no linebackers. It was like the watching Manny Diaz defenses against BYU for the whole season.
  • Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, ousux said:
20 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Not sure about Thompson, but Cook is a physical tackler...not sure where the run support concern is coming from. I'm far more concerned about runners breaking through our first two levels on the regular.

I actually messed up my comment. I meant “They are not big, but fortunately not fast either”. To me it’s a bit of an odd pairing. Neither guy is Kam Chancelor, a guy that you want to put in the box as an extra LB. Neither guy is Earl Thomas, a guy with crazy range that can erase the passing game. Safety needed a upgrade in speed and physicality. I am not sure either issue is addressed with this pairing 

Edited by Codaxx

Agree. But we’re not going to develop safeties by having them have to make plays against running backs running untouched into the secondary. There was no edge, no linebackers. It was like the watching Manny Diaz defenses against BYU for the whole season.

Bullshit. The damn OU play that kept them in the game? There was one hole for Williams to run on 4th and 1. There were two unblocked defenders. Guess who they were? Worst case it should have been 1 yard and first. If they don’t get that first, it’s game over.

The DBs and particularly the safeties were horrid at making the best of opportunities at or near the LOS. Missed tackle after missed tackle. Running themselves out of the play. I’m talking plays in which the blitzing DB should be the edge setter.

The safeties didn’t make big plays. They too often failed to prevent bigger run plays. They often screwed up on presented opportunities at or near the LOS.

I’m not sure you could say we were good anywhere on defense. We were damn inconsistent. There was some maddening scheme stuff but it wasn’t scheme that gave up 50 to OU.

Playing defense is a team game. The safeties were the biggest hole in that team game.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

Bullshit. The damn OU play that kept them in the game? There was one hole for Williams to run on 4th and 1. There were two unblocked defenders. Guess who they were? Worst case it should have been 1 yard and first. If they don’t get that first, it’s game over.

The DBs and particularly the safeties were horrid at making the best of opportunities at or near the LOS. Missed tackle after missed tackle. Running themselves out of the play. I’m talking plays in which the blitzing DB should be the edge setter.

The safeties didn’t make big plays. They too often failed to prevent bigger run plays. They often screwed up on presented opportunities at or near the LOS.

I’m not sure you could say we were good anywhere on defense. We were damn inconsistent. There was some maddening scheme stuff but it wasn’t scheme that gave up 50 to OU.

Playing defense is a team game. The safeties were the biggest hole in that team game.

I forgot the poster, but he said something like “people don’t want to acknowledge the bad play when proper defense was called”. I thought it was a very good comment. There were plenty of situations where safeties where put in terrible situations (try to make a tackle against a ball carrier with a 2 way go in space), but there were also plenty of times they failed to make what should have been routine plays (you gave examples). 

• Like 1

I said I agreed that safety play was poor. But in aggregate, you are not developing safeties if they are constantly put in poor situations. This was a demoralized and insecure unit. If you think this is bullshit, then you’re saying the edge and linebackers were doing their jobs consistently.

I forgot the poster, but he said something like “people don’t want to acknowledge the bad play when proper defense was called”. I thought it was a very good comment. There were plenty of situations where safeties where put in terrible situations (try to make a tackle against a ball carrier with a 2 way go in space), but there were also plenty of times they failed to make what should have been routine plays (you gave examples). 

We played deep so those two way gos are virtually impossible to stop. I’d expect Bijan to win that every time. You’d expect a D1 RB to win it a ton. I don’t blame the safeties for that. There were also times that if the safeties were more aggressive getting upfield they cut the angle down. Even if they don’t make the tackle, the cutback allows another defender to make it for an additional 5 yards rather than 30. And I think Schooler did improve the latter half of the season. But then Foster was giving less effort. You can also put some of that tentativeness on the newness of the scheme.

The defense did some good stuff, but it’s overshadowed by the inconsistencies. We didn’t make big plays or certainly not enough. You’d also have to believe there was some hesitancy with a new scheme which was replaced with some emotional let down later in the season when it all slipped away.

That OU game was something else. OU, particularly the WRs, made some great plays. There were 3 critical officiating failures that resulted in 125 yards of offense and ultimately 3 scores for OU. There were two split second plays that were damn near turnovers. Mims two huge catches with pretty good coverage. Even the bs WR running out of bounds non-call was good defense but a great catch.

And after that emotional let down, the defense came out playing well versus a damn good OSU.

Really the two hugely disappointing defensive efforts were WVU and KU, but those were on the backend of the month from hell.

I don’t expect a great defense, but I expect improvement and more consistency. Barron and Crawford are guys to keep eyes on because those are two that could give us an immediate bump.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

We played deep so those two way gos are virtually impossible to stop. I’d expect Bijan to win that every time. You’d expect a D1 RB to win it a ton. I don’t blame the safeties for that. There were also times that if the safeties were more aggressive getting upfield they cut the angle down. Even if they don’t make the tackle, the cutback allows another defender to make it for an additional 5 yards rather than 30. And I think Schooler did improve the latter half of the season. But then Foster was giving less effort. You can also put some of that tentativeness on the newness of the scheme.

The defense did some good stuff, but it’s overshadowed by the inconsistencies. We didn’t make big plays or certainly not enough. You’d also have to believe there was some hesitancy with a new scheme which was replaced with some emotional let down later in the season when it all slipped away.

That OU game was something else. OU, particularly the WRs, made some great plays. There were 3 critical officiating failures that resulted in 125 yards of offense and ultimately 3 scores for OU. There were two split second plays that were damn near turnovers. Mims two huge catches with pretty good coverage. Even the bs WR running out of bounds non-call was good defense but a great catch.

And after that emotional let down, the defense came out playing well versus a damn good OSU.

Really the two hugely disappointing defensive efforts were WVU and KU, but those were on the backend of the month from hell.

I don’t expect a great defense, but I expect improvement and more consistency. Barron and Crawford are guys to keep eyes on because those are two that could give us an immediate bump.

I think we may see a more volatility this year, which is actually a good thing. Just my suspicion, but the defense will get more aggressive this year. That will mean more big plays for the defense and the opposing offenses. 

Barron move is interesting.  I thought he was the best CB on the team late in the year. That move to me means they want the nickel to play a lot more coverage this year. I just wonder if Watts and Barron should be swapped 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I think we may see a more volatility this year, which is actually a good thing. Just my suspicion, but the defense will get more aggressive this year. That will mean more big plays for the defense and the opposing offenses.   Barron move is interesting.  I thought he was the best CB on the team late in the year. That move to me means they want the nickel to play a lot more coverage this year. I just wonder if Watts and Barron should be swapped 

Why swap Watts and Barron ??  🤔

48 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

I said I agreed that safety play was poor. But in aggregate, you are not developing safeties if they are constantly put in poor situations. This was a demoralized and insecure unit. If you think this is bullshit, then you’re saying the edge and linebackers were doing their jobs consistently.

Development was not good last year because no defensive unit played consistently well.  Problems at all 3 levels turned the 2021 defense into a fragile unit -- players constantly not staying disciplined in their assignments because they were often trying to cover fuck-ups of other players.

Lack of success breeds even more mistakes for defenders -- nothing good to hang your hat on in most 2nd halfs last year.

I'm sure players were questioning wtf the coaches were doing to fix things last year too with this new defense.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Why swap Watts and Barron ??  🤔

I suspect Barron is the better coverage player. Watts played some safety last year for OSU after being replaced at CB. Watts is also the bigger player. 6’3” 210 vs 5’11” 185. Watts may hold up better in the run game 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

I have liked Scipio's insights even when he use to just post them on Horn Fans. He thinks defense is going to be a huge issue if PK insists on using his system.

If that’s the case, then the GP insurance policy will be used by mid season. My question is: what other scheme would PK run? DCs typically only stick to their scheme.

3 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

If that’s the case, then the GP insurance policy will be used by mid season. My question is: what other scheme would PK run? DCs typically only stick to their scheme.

I’ve seen a lot of 3-3 talk

• Hook 'Em 2

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic