2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

32 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

With the exception of a few bad pitches in relief, it's been a mighty fine 36 hours. Let's keep those W's coming. 

I wasn't gonna hit the panic button, but if the last 36 hours go the opposite way, I'm a very unhappy camper. Would be nice to get some stress-free wins though. You'd think 7-2 in the 9th and 5-1 in the 8th would suffice, but alas. 

Anyways, some assorted thoughts to close out the night....

Glad to disabuse SEA of their newfound feelings of invincibility. I think some of their fans were starting to get delusions of actually making a run at the division vs. just chasing a wild card. That said, still need to win the majority of this stretch where we play them 7 times in 10 days. Winning the first matchup is a good start.

Up to 30 over .500, high water mark of the season so far. Though 94 games, we're 1 behind 2017, on par with 2018, and up 3 and 6 on 2019 and 2021, respectively. We're up 11 on the only team in our division with any chance of sniffing the playoffs. For reference, with 68 games remaining each, SEA could win 60% of their remaining games and we'd still win the West even if we only win 45%, and we have the most favorable remaining schedule in the majors.

Yordan is back and collecting on debts that accrued during his absence. 

Would love to see 7 innings out of JV and Framber in the next 2. Bullpen needs some rest (and some remedial lessons on how to fucking throw strikes) and hopefully Press rejoins the team tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Dude at work just transferred-in from the Washington team. Runs mouth about Seattle squads already( except for basketball!) with a very hot and heavy on the 14 game streak by the M's.

Before the game I told him Urquidy works fast, so it wouldn't be late for the T-Mobile Park crowd.  Then I shot him a picture of Altuve.  Then Yordan.  and then Maldy.

Radio silence.

LFG!!!

5 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Would be nice to get some stress-free wins though. You'd think 7-2 in the 9th and 5-1 in the 8th would suffice, but alas. 

You thought those were stressful?

This is a bice Mariners team and I hope they mske the playoffs but I'm glad they didn't tue the 2001 team's winning streak.  That just wouldn't have felt right.

2 hours ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Did it with Urquidy->Martinez->Maton for nearly 8 which is far from our optimal rollout. Doubleheader wore us down a bit. Wait until they see our final form…

Props to Urquidy, pitched his ass off.

Urquidy has looked fine since they dropped the new cutter in favor of his old slider.  Nothing glamorous but he should be a solid backend starter moving forward.  

Also, Seth Martinez is maybe the most interesting pitcher on the Astros roster.  Has the lowest xwOBA of any pitcher but has pretty mediocre peripherals.  Can't decide if he's for real or not but he should definitely receive regular work.  It's going to be tough keeping Dusty from running Neris and Montero into the ground before the post-season.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Love it:

Maybe the Astros have had a more important, more spectacular defensive play this season, but I'm hard pressed to come up with one. No telling what might have happened had that rumored base hit been a real one. Glad we didn't have to find out. 

9 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

The Mariners just finished a 14 game winning and picked up a whopping 2 1/2 games. 

Or another way to point and laugh is that on June 20th the Mariners were 13 games back at 29-39 to the Astros 41-25.

From June 21st to July 21st the Mariners were 22-3. The Astros went 20-7 over that span, even with Yordan missing seven games on the IL before the ASB. The Ms wake up today after losing last night and they're still 11 games behind the 62-32 Houston Astros.

MUHWHAHAHA

*but to their credit, 51-43 is at least winning baseball and they are in good shape for a wild card spot. 

• Haha 1

We're 10 days out from the trade deadline. Looking around this morning at some possible 1B and/or OF upgrades and the pickings seem fairly slim as far as players available from non-contending teams go.

Josh Bell is obviously the belle of the ball. Dude's a legit switch-hitter (identical OPS of .890 from each side of the plate this season ). Good walk numbers, career .350 OBP and solid pop. 

The only other 1B on a bad team that is swinging the bat well is CJ Cron, but that seems to be a pretty clear case of Coors Field mirage. Both this year and last, his OPS is a good .300 higher at home than on the road. Away from Denver he's essentially not an upgrade over Yuli. 

Considering that we're getting zero updates on Uncle Mike, we may need to get serious about picking up a LF. There I see maybe 2 options. Benintendi obviously, and Ian Happ is having a very solid season. His power numbers are down from last few years, but getting more hits and getting on base more. Would have him for at least another year if we picked him up.

Who am I missing?

8 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

We're 10 days out from the trade deadline. Looking around this morning at some possible 1B and/or OF upgrades and the pickings seem fairly slim as far as players available from non-contending teams go.

Josh Bell is obviously the belle of the ball. Dude's a legit switch-hitter (identical OPS of .890 from each side of the plate this season ). Good walk numbers, career .350 OBP and solid pop. 

The only other 1B on a bad team that is swinging the bat well is CJ Cron, but that seems to be a pretty clear case of Coors Field mirage. Both this year and last, his OPS is a good .300 higher at home than on the road. Away from Denver he's essentially not an upgrade over Yuli. 

Considering that we're getting zero updates on Uncle Mike, we may need to get serious about picking up a LF. There I see maybe 2 options. Benintendi obviously, and Ian Happ is having a very solid season. His power numbers are down from last few years, but getting more hits and getting on base more. Would have him for at least another year if we picked him up.

Who am I missing?

Christian Walker anyone?

He's top-20 in xwOBA, right behind Tucker and ahead of JD Martinez. He can hit for power and is under team control through 2024....

Edited by Gourmand
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Absolutely atrocious against RHP, even worse than Yuli, but has feasted on lefties. He'd make sense only if we were platooning him with a 1B that hits righties well. Marginal upgrade at best.

???? He has 15 HR vs RHP with a .709 OPS compared to 5 HR vs LHP with .951 OPS. 

His barrel % is top 8% and he has excellent plate discipline. I think he'd be a great fit in this lineup.

42 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Who am I missing?

Bats that should be moved :

Bell, Bennitendi, Soto, Cruz, Happ, Contreras

Maybe- Chron, Mancini

Unlikely but a simple 1-9 away from perhaps a white flag:  

Abreu, Xander B, Brendon Belt, JD Marrinez

Conforto might be healthy and could be signed for nothing. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

did I look up the right guy, he’s hitting .202 this year ?

Correct but he's also been snakebit and his expected average should be much higher and his hard hit % is 43.4

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

60 day IL upcoming

I don’t see us trading is for conterras, unless he’s going to platoon RF and 1st. 

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Yep, I think he's gonna retire whether an official announcement is coming or not.

$51.4mil career earnings, good looking wife that was D1 athlete, Stanford and Emory grad, gets his WS ring soon..:.:..he’s had a damn nice mlb life. Enjoy retirement 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2