2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

2 hours ago, rvm96 said:

Verlander a little disappointed he couldn't hit 100 mph.

He was also absolutely screwed twice by the umps in that inning. Lewis absolutely swung at strike 3, and Suarez struck out as well.

In other news, Boone is riding Cole into the dirt. Baltimore scored 4 against him to take the lead. Might only be 1.5 back.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Fair. The numbers say that shouldn’t be the case and it’s really fucking hard for me not to consider the guy that has gone 25 or 26 scoreless in a row as better than Nerris, but you could argue that by usage. 
I wonder what the last 4-6 weeks has looked like?  Nerris was getting the ball seemingly every day early in the year but it feels like Stanek has surpassed him. I know Montero has- and he was definitely behind Nerris (and maybe Maton) in the early season pecking order. 
If it’s me my bullpen usage in order would be:

Pressly, Montero, Stanek, Nerris, Martinez, Abreu,  Maton. 
In the playoffs when we go from 6 starters to 4, and 13 pitchers to 12 that bullpen becomes no weak link anywhere with 2 starters joining up and Marrinez, Abreu and Maton not even having a spot. Definition of no weak links 1-12 on the roster. It’s crazy. Other teams might have more top end fire power, but 1) just barely and 2) not likely as much depth. Unless the Dodgers get completely healthy. They could go 1-12 with us I guess. 

neris.  come on.

2 hours ago, Amos Moses said:

Glad My Two Jakes is ok - that looked like it stung a bit.

Why don’t trainers have that cold spray to spray on these types of injuries immediately? I’ll  bet that would feel good. I think I remember seeing it used back in the day. 

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

He was also absolutely screwed twice by the umps in that inning. Lewis absolutely swung at strike 3, and Suarez struck out as well.

In other news, Boone is riding Cole into the dirt. Baltimore scored 4 against him to take the lead. Might only be 1.5 back.

If Lewis was that check swing one I thought he didn't go around but maybe I saw a.bad angle or something.

I missed most of the game today but caught bits and pieces. That 7th inning from JV was beastly. It's almost as if he was intentionally toying with those idiot fans to get them on their feet only to reach back and blow out those Seattle batters with pure gas to extinguish the threat and win the series. 

Sweep these fuckers tomorrow!

2 hours ago, Pimphand said:

So if the Red Sux keep tanking any chance they go into fire sale mode? Its a shame our set against them wasn't in July so the Astros could help demoralize them pre-deadline.

I posted this in the MLB thread asking this question. 
their games before the deadline:

1 Tor

1- Hou

4-Cleveland 

3-Milwaukee 

they are 3 back currently. If they ended up going something like 1-8 and got to 6 back or something (we have a bunch with Seattle if we keep beating them that will keep them in the race to some extent) could you see Then trade?  JD Martinez would be an awesome get. 

44 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

JD Martinez would be an awesome get. 

His bat would be awesome in the lineup but where would he play? Him, Yordan and Brantley all get ABs at LF and DH. I guess one could play RF and move Tucker to CF but that certainly wouldn’t be ideal defensively. 

3 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

His bat would be awesome in the lineup but where would he play? Him, Yordan and Brantley all get ABs at LF and DH. I guess one could play RF and move Tucker to CF but that certainly wouldn’t be ideal defensively. 

I don’t expect Bradley back and a big bat. Yordan on left, JD at DH, Brantley PH

3 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I don’t expect Bradley back and a big bat. Yordan in left, JD at DH, Brantley PH

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

Is no one worried that JD Martinez will immediately forget how to hit again as soon as he puts on an Astros uniform?

Surly thread only wants him back to so they can can scream and howl the first time he strikes out 😂😂😂 they’ll also somehow blame duaty for the whole deal 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I’m extremely curious how we trade Odo. Maybe orioles ?

That doesn’t make a ton of sense for them to take on a rental when their playoff hopes are pretty theoretical, but who knows. I’m going to look at teams with 20% chance or higher at making the playoffs:

Toronto- 3 starters above league average- every other starter pitching like trash. Big need here 

Boston- low playoff odds but Odo might be perfect in the sense he’s not an all in move if they are still around 20%. 
Tampa- they could probably use him as after top 3 it drops off pretty highly but they don’t value starters a hell of a lot. Deep farm. They could flip a decent prospect our way especially of we sent money to handle the buyout

NYY- No need. 
Minnesota- their guy with the most starts Dylan Bundy- has an era almost 5. They’ve got the back end of their rotation on the IL- no idea prognosis there- they would make sense. 
Cleveland- Very solid top 4- sketchy 5th starter. Stacked farm system, allegedly. They are cheap so this should appeal to them- low cost move that solidified the 1 bad spot they have- could probably get better prospect- like with Tampa- if we sent some money 

White Sox- Giolito has been trash  their 5 spot is in flux- he makes sense here 

Seattle- No need 

NYM- No need

ATL- no need

PHI- Kyle Gibson is getting a lot of starts with a 4.75 era,  it the rest of the guys are 4 or better.. I’m guessing they don’t need an Odo type but O could see them being in the market for a definite large upgrade  

STL- Multiple guys with bad numbers, not many guys posting up to take the ball every day- decent top 2  this screams Odo would be really logical here  

Mil- same as STL  he looks like he’d be a very real upgrade at 4/5 spot in their rotation… as absurd as it sounds I could see Odorizi swinging the central division if he pitches like he has his last 5 or 6 starts with us- both teams seem like they need help that would come from stabilization  

LA- No need 

SD- no need 

SF- No need  

this is what happens when my daughter gets sick all over herself on the way to church- I get bored and have to come up with scenarios to trade Odo

Tl/DR-Toronto, Minnesota, Cleveland, St Louis and Milwaukee all make a ton of sense.  Tampa makes sense but they don’t value starters  Boston has a need but I’d suspect they don’t end up as buyers at the deadline  same with Chicago  

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I’m extremely curious how we trade Odo. Maybe orioles ?

IMO, Odorizzi is not an improvement over a couple of younger journeyman vets already in the O’s rotation .. and he certainly wouldn’t have a spot in the bullpen.  He’s not a building block for the future as two of their top prospects are expected to join the rotation in 2023.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

If Brantley is pretty hurt what about Ian Happ? Batting .280 this year and has an OPS over .800. I don’t know anything about his defense.

He was on my list of should be available bats. I imagine he isn’t super expensive. I’d take him as an insurance policy on Brantley and be happy. If he’s all we do and we don’t get Bell or someone better than Happ I’m a little bummed. As bat #2 it’d be s great move. We could definitely use 2 bats with Brantley questionable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I don’t expect Bradley back and a big bat. Yordan on left, JD at DH, Brantley PH

You’re making an assumption that may or may not be true. Suppose  we trade for Martinez, Brantley is back in a couple of weeks, are you saying he should be relegated to, primarily, a pinch hitting role?  Seems neither likely or smart. 

5 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

IMO, Odorizzi is not an improvement over a couple of younger journeyman vets already in the O’s rotation .. and he certainly wouldn’t have a spot in the bullpen.  He’s not a building block for the future as two of their top prospects are expected to join the rotation in 2023.

I think you might be underselling him a bit- he’s got much better numbers than basically your whole staff, but if the point is why bother when you are where you are at in your success cycle, the odds are so small and you’ve got prospect help coming next year can’t say I disagree. 
BUT- he’d actually be a good add next year if you guys are trying to compete and sneak in to the 88 win range. Your prospects won’t all hit and if he can take the ball and give you 150 league average innings that will be a real blessing. Don’t think he’s opting in- and I wouldn’t be in the market necessarily for him specifically but if I was Baltimore I’d look at a 10 million type to Give you some quantity. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

You’re making an assumption that may or may not be true. Suppose  we trade for Martinez, Brantley is back in a couple of weeks, are you saying he should be relegated to, primarily, a pinch hitting role?  Seems neither likely or smart. 

What is dumb about having a reasonable insurance policy?  If Brantley doesn’t come back ready to play wellwe have a huge hole in LF (or DH if you move Yordan to left) along with problem at 1B, Catcher and CF, and an untested playoff bat at SS, along with a guy that I don’t know if lots of people trust at 3B in Bregman.

If Brantley comes back and is hitting like he’s been dunked in the fountain of youth and we have to decide who play between he and a guy with a 133 OPS+ in JD Martinez that’s a problem I’d greatly prefer as opposed to getting caught short the other way. 

If Brantley starts swinging a bat next week and comes out and hits line drives all over the place and reports as healthy then cool, I guess you don’t need to worry about it. I’m not suggesting trading the whole farm for a DH rental- I’m suggesting reasonable insurance.  

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I think you might be underselling him a bit- he’s got much better numbers than basically your whole staff, but if the point is why bother when you are where you are at in your success cycle, the odds are so small and you’ve got prospect help coming next year can’t say I disagree. 
BUT- he’d actually be a good add next year if you guys are trying to compete and sneak in to the 88 win range. Your prospects won’t all hit and if he can take the ball and give you 150 league average innings that will be a real blessing. Don’t think he’s opting in- and I wouldn’t be in the market necessarily for him specifically but if I was Baltimore I’d look at a 10 million type to Give you some quantity. 

You’re correct on hard numbers.  You’re also correct, IMO, Odorizzi would not be a difference maker in 2022.  I wouldn’t venture a guess into 2023 except to reiterate the obvious.  He’d have to be healthy, provide leadership within a very young staff, and as always, fit their budget.

But, as imaginary O’s GM, I’d swap Trey Mancini for him?

Since getting called up to AAA Sugar Land on June 7th, infielder Enmanuel Valdez has slashed .311/.365/.600 with 9 HR and 29 RBI in 32 games. He's kinda come out of nowhere and gone from a relative nobody to a prospect with promise and will be Rule 5 eligible this winter so it will be interesting to see what the Astros do with him. Is he a potential trade piece or do the Astros see him as injury insurance in case one of Aledmys Diaz or Dubon gets injured? Regardless, his ascent is remarkable and imo a testament to the Astros developmental system. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, runthebone said:

I'm not worried about too many good bats.  Let Yordan rest his hand once a week or whatever.

Exactly. At a minimum if Brantley is back healthy JD Martinez is a night and day superior option to Bradley against LHP that it becomes an auto start- so that takes care of 1/3 of the games right there. He could start for Yordan once a week, and you are up to 50/50. The other games they don’t start you could PH. This is IF Brantley comes back strong and healthy. It’s a good thing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Since getting called up to AAA Sugar Land on June 7th, infielder Enmanuel Valdez has slashed .311/.365/.600 with 9 HR and 29 RBI in 32 games. He's kinda come out of nowhere and gone from a relative nobody to a prospect with promise and will be Rule 5 eligible this winter so it will be interesting to see what the Astros do with him. Is he a potential trade piece or do the Astros see him as injury insurance in case one of Aledmys Diaz or Dubon gets injured? Regardless, his ascent is remarkable and imo a testament to the Astros developmental system. 

Yeah- great story. I’m mentally penciling him in to the Diaz spot next year if he doesn’t get moved this year. 

20 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

You’re correct on hard numbers.  You’re also correct, IMO, Odorizzi would not be a difference maker in 2022.  I wouldn’t venture a guess into 2023 except to reiterate the obvious.  He’d have to be healthy, provide leadership within a very young staff, and as always, fit their budget.

But, as imaginary O’s GM, I’d swap Trey Mancini for him?

I’d rather a prospect from y’all but I’d do that deal in a heartbeat. 

25 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah- great story. I’m mentally penciling him in to the Diaz spot next year if he doesn’t get moved this year. 

I’d rather a prospect from y’all but I’d do that deal in a heartbeat. 

That’s why I’m not the GM … I can’t see Elias trading Mancini for another vet.  I don’t think they’re buyers this year .. at least I hope not.

Edited by VirginiaLonghorn

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:

Do you mind posting the article?  Disney/ESPN isn’t exactly a starving artist that’ll miss the revenue.  

• Haha 1