2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

9 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah- I’m in favor of trading Garcia and a couple 

prospects for a 2-3 year fix at CF but if they don’t want to do that I’m fine with internal promotions at our departing players (no one we are replacing is great or even good so it’s a low risk proposition- unlike losing Morton, Cole, Springer and Correa in a row) and extending everyone. 
Montero feels like he’s costing himself some money in August.  

I'd go all in on Reynolds in CF. Under team control through 2026, which overlaps nicely with the draft class. If 1 or 2 of the draft class hits, then you can potentially flip Reynolds for prospects with more team control. The cost is going to be high, but no one thought the Astros were getting Cole until they did. I'd give up everyone not named Brown or the 2022 drafted OFs. If not Reynolds, then Varsho is also controlled through 2026. There is no reason to go into next season with McCormick and Meyers as your projected starting OFs.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

I'd go all in on Reynolds in CF. Under team control through 2026, which overlaps nicely with the draft class. If 1 or 2 of the draft class hits, then you can potentially flip Reynolds for prospects with more team control. The cost is going to be high, but no one thought the Astros were getting Cole until they did. I'd give up everyone not named Brown or the 2022 drafted OFs. If not Reynolds, then Varsho is also controlled through 2026. There is no reason to go into next season with McCormick and Meyers as your starting projected starting OFs.

Those are the exact two guys I’d want, and I might kick the tires on Mullins if I couldn’t get them. Peralta is the only FA I’d be interested in for the OF I think. 

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

Those are the exact two guys I’d want, and I might kick the tires on Mullins if I couldn’t get them. Peralta is the only FA I’d be interested in for the OF I think. 

I'd sign Gallo before signing Peralta. He is killing it for the Dodgers and is still a good defense OF, plus, he could easily play 1B if you needed.

15 minutes ago, Intercourse With Gray said:

Honestly, I might be one of the few content with the team rn. I think we finish very strong. We should finish with the best AL record. I feel like this is our year and havent said that in a long time. im also drunk so my opinions matter very little

this team is on pace for a shot at the best franchise record ever, how the hell can you be content ?

we are at best, a top 10 mlb team !

almost the worst bullpen !

the worst 1st baseman !

the worst catcher !

the worst CF !

until recently, the worst 3rd baseman !

the worst LF !

the worst bench !

the worst coaches !

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

If not Reynolds, then Varsho is also controlled through 2026. There is no reason to go into next season with McCormick and Meyers as your projected starting OFs.

Varsho’s offensive numbers aren’t particularly exciting (he’s been worse than McCormick) and he’s not super young or anything. Why is he an upgrade over Chas as an OF? His defensive versatility is a plus for sure, but not sure he moves the needle in terms of offensive production from the OF. 

8 hours ago, Intercourse With Gray said:

Honestly, I might be one of the few content with the team rn. I think we finish very strong. We should finish with the best AL record. I feel like this is our year and havent said that in a long time. im also drunk so my opinions matter very little

I love the team.  I'd love it more if Vasquez, Mancini and McCormick started 80 percent of the time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Intercourse With Gray said:

I’m with you.  I was satisfied with deadline moves, and I’m OK with how Dusty is using the additional pieces.  

We’re super-critical of this team because we see them every day and we see and magnify every flaw.  The picture changes a lot when you stack this roster up against all of the other rosters in the league.  We have “rich people problems.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

This is a new one

I guess what it will take for Mancini to play 2 in a row is Alvarez or Tucker sitting.  Everyone always talks about ideal lineups but lets go with worst lineup possible (counting somewhere Dusty would actually play them as a position.

Maldonado- C

Dubon- RF (this is a new one- first time we get to see him in RF)- even though he's hit top of the lineup before

Meyers- CF

Yuli- 1b

Vazquez- DH

New kid- LF

Pena- SS

Altuve- 2b

Bregman- 3b

That's it- that's the current iteration of shittiest lineup we could field combined with worst order they would hit in.  It's a tough call as to Altuve 8th and Bregman 9th or if they need to be flip flopped.  Dubon is actually a worse offensive player than Maldonado, but the thought of him getting on base and clogging things up is too much to avoid hitting him in the #1 slot.  

Martinez in no way, shape or form deserved to get sent down.  He has done really good work up here.  He deserved to get called back up.  All that said, I'm bummed out that it isn't Brown.  I would obviously explode in rapturous delight if it was Whitley. Narrator "It was never Whitley"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

we're turning into the walking wounded. 

I still like the idea of javier on the back end of an LMJ or Garcia combo start. 

Javier has an era under 2.9 and a whip under 1. He’s one of the 15 best pitchers in the American League. Why would you want him cleaning up Garcias possible mess? 

• Hook 'Em 2