2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Holy shit Peña has had a shit ass game. 3 terrible strikeouts, ground ball almost double play and then don’t get the runner home. On defense he had an error that led to 2 unearned runs. 
but none of it mattered bc Texas manager stupidly out the winning run on 3B instead of pitching to Alvarez who has been shitty and then they wild pitch us off. 
thanks dickheads. 

• Haha 1

On 9/4/2022 at 3:09 AM, tx 3 putt said:

get a fucking hit, what other strategy are we missing here ?

To show how ignorant this thinking is.

Strategy won the game tonight.  Bunting the runner over to third to give the team multiple options to score the winning run.

Base runners create pressure, leading to intentional walks.

Now a WP scores the winning run.

Total hits to win in extra innings: ZERO

you're welcome.  thank me later

5 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Any approach to Pena other than nonstop low-and-away sliders is insane. 

It’s a real fucking problem. He’s been pretty bad  for going on 3 months (OPS is like 680) the book is out and he’s completely incapable of lashing off off speed pitches low and away. 

It’s pretty much the nightmare scenario losing Playoff Correa and having him replaced by a guy who’s been scouted and found wanting with a major fucking hole. 

If we could do something about shitty lineup construction in the playoffs (bench Yuli, get Dubon zero AB’s in the playoffs, play Diaz when he gets back healthy and Vasquez) and hit Peña 8th or 9th depending on if Maldy starts or not, it becomes a lot less important. 

I’m still more or less bullish on him for the future,  but he absolutely has to fix that shit. 

He hasn’t played a lot of games with pandemic and injury, his makeup is plus plus, but that doesn’t seem like a thing you learn during the stretch run and playoffs of your rookie season. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

6 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

M's lost today. 14 is correct.

I've been to a lot of Astros games in my life, but that was definitely my first ever walk-off wild pitch. The crowd didn't even really react. It was a weird, sort of "hey I think we just won" situation.

Anyways, I know the Rangers already fired their skipper. Has any team ever fired their interim manager? Because, if it were to happen, tonight would be the case. Extra innings, 2 outs, runners on 1st and 2nd, you IBB a guy who has weakly grounded into the shift 3 times to face the reigning AL player of the month with bases loaded, setting up a scenario where you lose if anything goes wrong. Pitcher doesn't have to give up a hit. A walk, a balk, an error...just literally anything that doesn't result in an out ends the game.

• Like 1

McTaggart, for what it's worth, says 14:

https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-beat-rangers-on-walk-off-wild-pitch-in-extras

The Astros improved to 88-49, keeping pace with the 2019 club that set the franchise wins mark (107) for their best record after 137 games. Houston reduced its magic number to win the American League West to 14 with its victory and Seattle’s loss to the White Sox.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

There are no tiebreaker games this year. All ties are resolved by head to head record then intradivision record then intraleague Astros won head to head 12-7. 

This is correct.  They said as much on the post game last night.