1. Yordan Alvarez: .497
2. Aaron Judge: .463
3. Joc Pederson: .453
4. Bryce Harper: .438
5. (tie) Mike Trout: .427
5. (tie) Taylor Ward: .427
5. (tie) Willson Contreras: .427
MLB xwOBA: .329

That last one should catch your eye, and here's why: wOBA, weighted on-base average, is on a scale like on-base percentage, except it gives more value to better hits. A home run is worth more than a single, and so on. Think of what a top-tier on-base percentage is -- say, .400 or higher -- that's also a top-tier wOBA. And xwOBA tells you what a hitter's wOBA should be based on how good his contact is.

So Alvarez would be doing great if he had a .400 xwOBA. Only the top 20 or so hitters in MLB have that right now. But his xwOBA is way beyond that. It's approaching .500.

Yordan Alvarez's 469-ft. home run

May 30, 2022

· 

0:59

Yordan Alvarez's 469-ft. home run

If the season ended today, Alvarez would have the highest single-season xwOBA in the history of Statcast tracking, which goes back to 2015. His quality of contact is second to none.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I'm as tired of losing series to the Mariners as anyone, but nothing is fucked here:

Fucked and watching the team struggle to score 3 runs a game are completely different things. This team has enough pitching to win a lot of games, this team doesn't have the offense to win a title. The Dodgers 1B hit 36 HRs  last year, and they went out and got Freddie Freeman. The Astros have plenty of available salary and enough prospects to upgrade at 2 of the 3 positions of C/1B/CF. There is no reason to wait until July to watch Gurriel/Maldtro/Sirick continue to struggle with a triple slash of .203/.266/.341/.607

Edited by HtownHorn

17 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Trade for Contreras 

Love the bat. My main question has to do with adding a totally new (vs. recalled) catcher mid-season. I can't imagine that would be a smooth transition, given the nuances of learning a new staff on the fly. But the question likely is moot. 

45 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Love the bat. My main question has to do with adding a totally new (vs. recalled) catcher mid-season. I can't imagine that would be a smooth transition, given the nuances of learning a new staff on the fly. But the question likely is moot. 

I think we'll be outbid for Contreras. If anything, we may get a modest upgrade to replace Castro. Given how pitching dependent we are currently, I can't see the FO replacing Maldy. 

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I think we'll be outbid for Contreras. If anything, we may get a modest upgrade to replace Castro. Given how pitching dependent we are currently, I can't see the FO replacing Maldy. 

urquidy or Javier, Meyer or Chas, castro, maybe throw in a minor leaguer

Contreras is a Spanish speaker, he’ll do fine with this staff. 

8 minutes ago, Scraps said:

So A's have lost 9 in a row and Angels are working on 15 in a row. AL West doing work

Since it’s an off-day and the WCWS is over, I’m now watching and rooting for the dual-MVP Angels match the worst skid of the Astros tanking era.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Fucked and watching the team struggle to score 3 runs a game are completely different things. This team has enough pitching to win a lot of games, this team doesn't have the offense to win a title. The Dodgers 1B hit 36 HRs  last year, and they went out and got Freddie Freeman. The Astros have plenty of available salary and enough prospects to upgrade at 2 of the 3 positions of C/1B/CF. There is no reason to wait until July to watch Gurriel/Maldtro/Sirick continue to struggle with a triple slash of .203/.266/.341/.607

So are you saying you think these rankings are wrong?  Or is having the second best odds to win the whole thing not good enough?

Or are you just saying in your own enjoyable way that you hope we are active on the trade market? 

Follow up question:  what do you want to do with Gurriel?  And are you prepared to deal with the locker room fallout if your plan includes trading/shitcanning him?

17 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

So you think we're fucked? 

I was talking about complaining about our record vs Seattle. Sure, we’ve lost a few series but are still 6-6 for the year and have totally dominated them for 8 years. The recent home series loss was the 1st against them at MMP since 2018. 

Edited by TonyTexas

1 hour ago, huge said:

So are you saying you think these rankings are wrong?  Or is having the second best odds to win the whole thing not good enough?

Or are you just saying in your own enjoyable way that you hope we are active on the trade market? 

Follow up question:  what do you want to do with Gurriel?  And are you prepared to deal with the locker room fallout if your plan includes trading/shitcanning him?

I am sorry is the goal of the Astros to win WS titles, or make old players feel good about their declining skills. The players will figure it out, they understand this is a results-based business, and Gurriel would still walk away with over $7M for his lack of quality contributions this season.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Astros catching tandem might be the worst positional group in the history of major league baseball, but at the same time I can't see them ponying up for Contreras and who knows who they like of the rest.  A guy like Stallings would probably be a good upgrade but who knows if they think someone like that is worth pulling the trigger for.

Yuli should be much easier to address.  Lot of good options to replace him with.

• Hook 'Em 1