2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

8 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Yeah Bregman needs to be a 7 or 8 hole hitter right now. Correa was moved way down the lineup at one point during his slump a few years back, and he eventually snapped out of it. 

Ideally, Gurriel and Bregman would be in the bottom 3rd, but since we already have 2 other holes in the Maldatro and Sirck "platoons" Gurriel and Bregman are getting too many important ABs. It's just stupid to be losing games in June when you know you have to make improvements. There is no reason to wait, other than letting other teams drive up the price.

if bregman, with his eye, can't find pitches to hit while hitting in front of arguably the best current hitter in major league baseball then he's got to get bumped down.  as far as i'm concerned, hit him 9th and let him scratch and claw his way up.  that's his personality, not the entitled 3 hole hitter.

the division is done with, who gives a shit.  make some noise.

8 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

if bregman, with his eye, can't find pitches to hit while hitting in front of arguably the best current hitter in major league baseball then he's got to get bumped down.  as far as i'm concerned, hit him 9th and let him scratch and claw his way up.  that's his personality, not the entitled 3 hole hitter.

the division is done with, who gives a shit.  make some noise.

I’m retrospect with how It’s all played out it would have worked best to pay Carlos all his money plus Bergmans for the next 2.5 years and roll with Peña at 3rd. Carlos got the OPS up into the 800’s and is now higher than Penas and much higher than Bergmans. 
I wanted Carlos back. Peña has been a lot better than I thought he’d be (this is all a quiz the real test is the post season) but damn it man, Bregman is just not a solution to anything on this team and he’s verging on becoming a problem. 
i should note- smart people different places on the internet say his quality of context is much better than his results and he should be doing better and is probably just unlucky. 
my thought is if the ball is dead he needs to up his vitamin S regime to counteract that. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 1

Ball doesn't seem that dead for everyone. (And I'm not trying to compare Bregman to Alvarez. That's just not a fair fight.) You not only have to move Bregman down, at least temporarily, you have to find more overall firepower.

My eyes just tell me that as currently constructed, this is the worst overall Astros team in years and might not even live to meet the Yankees, much less beat them. Our division lead is largely the product of the AL West's sheer ineptitude. What can be done to right this ship in a hurry is another question, but more consistent hitting is the most obvious need even if LMJ and Odo bounce back. 

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

i should note- smart people different places on the internet say his quality of context is much better than his results and he should be doing better and is probably just unlucky. 
my thought is if the ball is dead he needs to up his vitamin S regime to counteract that. 

Yeah, his xwOBA is currently at .360, his actual wOBA is .319, so he’s -.041 (his SLG% is -.078 compared to his expected SLG%). And it’s not only that, but in each of his ‘18-‘19 seasons, his actual wOBA was far higher than his xwOBA (+.027 and +.045). He’s hitting the ball as hard as he ever has, as consistently as he ever has. The results just aren’t there.

Between the large negative gap between is xSLG% and actual SLG% and an exceptionally low BABIP of .228, I’d still expect the results to come. I think I’ve read that the expected stats may be in need of some adjustment with the weird balls this season, so maybe that’s part of it, I don’t really know.

I also remember writing in early 2018 that I expected Bregman to be a good player, occasional All-Star type, but not an MVP type of guy. Then 2018-2019 happened and I felt like a dumbass. I’m not saying I’m not a dumbass (many people could make a compelling case that I absolutely am), but I expect that those two seasons to probably be his best over his career. And that’s fine, those were 8-win seasons; I just think (a) 8-win seasons are only consistently posted by surefire HOFers, and (b) he’s probably more of a 4-5 win player. Which is great, and something we all would like to see in 2022. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Yeah, his xwOBA is currently at .360, his actual wOBA is .319, so he’s -.041 (his SLG% is -.078 compared to his expected SLG%). And it’s not only that, but in each of his ‘18-‘19 seasons, his actual wOBA was far higher than his xwOBA (+.027 and +.045). He’s hitting the ball as hard as he ever has, as consistently as he ever has. The results just aren’t there.

Between the large negative gap between is xSLG% and actual SLG% and an exceptionally low BABIP of .228, I’d still expect the results to come. I think I’ve read that the expected stats may be in need of some adjustment with the weird balls this season, so maybe that’s part of it, I don’t really know.

I also remember writing in early 2018 that I expected Bregman to be a good player, occasional All-Star type, but not an MVP type of guy. Then 2018-2019 happened and I felt like a dumbass. I’m not saying I’m not a dumbass (many people could make a compelling case that I absolutely am), but I expect that those two seasons to probably be his best over his career. And that’s fine, those were 8-win seasons; I just think (a) 8-win seasons are only consistently posted by surefire HOFers, and (b) he’s probably more of a 4-5 win player. Which is great, and something we all would like to see in 2022. 

Great perspective. I sure hope he's just "due."

Are teams pitching/shifting Bregman much differently now than when he had better numbers? 

6 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Great perspective. I sure hope he's just "due."

Are teams pitching/shifting Bregman much differently now than when he had better numbers? 

Not sure. Going just by the Statcast info, he’s seeing slightly fewer fastballs, but not by a large margin. Don’t know about location, sequencing, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m retrospect with how It’s all played out it would have worked best to pay Carlos all his money plus Bergmans for the next 2.5 years and roll with Peña at 3rd. Carlos got the OPS up into the 800’s and is now higher than Penas and much higher than Bergmans. 
I wanted Carlos back. Peña has been a lot better than I thought he’d be (this is all a quiz the real test is the post season) but damn it man, Bregman is just not a solution to anything on this team and he’s verging on becoming a problem. 

has Peña ever played 3rd ?

bregman is much cheaper than Correa, similar ceilings 

Edited by tx 3 putt

The good news is that Bregman is still elite in terms of plate discipline - K%, BB%, chase %, etc. That sets his production floor pretty high (I think we’re seeing it right now). His contact quality is still reasonably fine (it never was elite). That BABIP will come up. 
C3D6E605-D97E-43AF-B828-B57D7D227001.thumb.jpeg.ee332925fb7face3a1bd1a42ee404543.jpeg

Edited by Hank Chinaski

12 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

The good news is that Bregman is still elite in terms of plate discipline - K%, BB%, chase %, etc. That sets his production floor pretty high (I think we’re seeing it right now). His contact quality is still reasonably fine (it never was elite). That BABIP will come up. 
C3D6E605-D97E-43AF-B828-B57D7D227001.thumb.jpeg.ee332925fb7face3a1bd1a42ee404543.jpeg

crazy talk !!!!

read the thread, he’s washed up and done !!!

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m retrospect with how It’s all played out it would have worked best to pay Carlos all his money plus Bergmans for the next 2.5 years and roll with Peña at 3rd. 

i understand what you're saying, but it's tough to throw out something that was and is a total non-option.

• Hook 'Em 1

Pena has enough arm for 3rd.  Wulaw is right that if you can play short, you can play 3rd.  It doesn't necessarily work the other way, but it does for moving from short.  Bregman is popping up too much.  Not warning track fly balls either.  Lazy, middle of the outfield popups.  He's swinging under the ball too often.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i understand what you're saying, but it's tough to throw out something that was and is a total non-option.

Oh I wasn’t saying it had any chance to work on the real world. Just literally saying “if we could have taken all the pieces we had and rearranged them however we wanted this would have been the best result” toe thing. You are correct- that wasn’t an option on the table in all likelihood.