2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

I get not wanting to burn 3 or 4 of the good relievers chasing a game that you're trailing but I also hate punting a 1 run game.  Putting in Maton and Smith because you think you might lose anyway is a self-fulfilling prophecy.  We really need our starters to be able to hang in for 7 or at least 6 to give the offense more of a chance to catch up.

I like the suggestion above though to DL Maton and get Martinez back up here.  He would be perfect for a game like this, going 2-3 innings and keeping the deficit at 1.

Just now, WBT said:

I get not wanting to burn 3 or 4 of the good relievers chasing a game that you're trailing but I also hate punting a 1 run game.  Putting in Maton and Smith because you think you might lose anyway is a self-fulfilling prophecy.  We really need our starters to be able to hang in for 7 or at least 6 to give the offense more of a chance to catch up.

I like the suggestion above though to DL Maton and get Martinez back up here.  He would be perfect for a game like this, going 2-3 innings and keeping the deficit at 1.

Hey… this way he only has to cover 3 innings with the pen instead of 4.

Think About It GIF by Identity

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, rvm96 said:

Seeing as how Leon is on the IL I doubt he would get brought up. I think it would be Brinson if anybody 

If Dubon and/or Alvarez have to go to the IL, I have no idea what they’ll do. Brinson  isn’t on the 40 man. Goodrum is literally the only choice atm. Besides sucking, he’s been hurt most of the year and just came back to Sugar Land. Click’s 40-man roster construction has always been a concern. Very pitcher heavy. 

52 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

If Dubon and/or Alvarez have to go to the IL, I have no idea what they’ll do. Brinson  isn’t on the 40 man. Goodrum is literally the only choice atm. Besides sucking, he’s been hurt most of the year and just came back to Sugar Land. Click’s 40-man roster construction has always been a concern. Very pitcher heavy. 

could we bring up lee/diaz as backup c and have vazquez be full-time dh?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Amos Moses said:

Outfielders would be the concern.  It’s not ideal to roll with only 3.

In that scenario, Mancini would probably be full time LF with Meyers as backup. Of more concern would be the infield. Yuli would be backup 3rd, Bregs backup SS, JJ backup 1st, who knows about 2nd. 

it turns out losing brantley, aledmys, yordan, and dubon at the ~same time could present some challenges.

obviously meyers would have to play some role (4th outfielder) and mancini would certainly be our everyday lf.  if yordan had a panic attack or dehydration/exhaustion, give him the weekend off and reset.  he should be fine.  i mean, even the article said he was in "non-life-threatening" condition, what more do you need?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

A friend texted me that the rumor is Yordan may have had a panic attack.

he probably read this thread and thought they’re in last place or one of wulaw’s posts hypnotized him ?

1 hour ago, Amos Moses said:

Outfielders would be the concern.  It’s not ideal to roll with only 3.

tuck / chas / Jake / Mancini, let’s do it !

1 hour ago, Amos Moses said:

I wrote 3 … I thought everyone here had already purged Meyers from existence.

Where’s Super Jack when you need him?

he’s on this roster and time to step up. He has talent, maybe not 100% healed but it’s next man up time !

September is the push, get it ready for October baseball !

I don’t remember fireworks during the game but wasn’t paying attention closely. Thankful / Glad the in stadium ems crew jumped into action asap ….

https://www.si.com/mlb/2022/08/20/astros-star-yordan-alvarez-hospitalized-for-shortness-of-breath-braves-fireworks

Houston manager Dusty Baker said after his team’s 6–2 loss that Álvarez was experiencing shortness of breath, which was exacerbated by smoke in the air after the Braves shot off fireworks at Truist Park.

“He’s being analyzed by the doctors,” Baker said, per ESPN. “They said all his vitals are good. He’s feeling normal but he still has to see our doctor. He was just, he had shortness of breath, and then when they shot the fireworks off, the smoke kind of made it worse.”