2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Brian T Smith on the money with this column. As everyone knows, I’m no fan of Dusty (and Click).

I’m trying to stay positive today and send good vibes to our Astros. The rest of us here need to unpucker our assholes. We’re going to turn this shit around and win today. One game at a time.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

What makes you think Click is gone? His job is to manage the roster and farm system. The biggest miss I see is the trade for Trey Mancini, since he can't hit worth a damn. They have had some great home grown players come up and fill in, most notably Pena. I'm not sure how much you can hate on him. 

Click isn’t aggressive enough for Crane. He’s told him that he’s not in Tampa anymore and can spend money. Not signing Correa long term when Correa signed for a 1 year deal for just $3 million more than the $32 million a year offered in the 5 year deal we offered stings and shows the lack of deal making prowess. The credit for all of the home grown players like Peña belongs to the GOAT. Crane is going to bring one of Luhnow’s guys back to run things and going to send Click packing so he can go back to a cheapskate organization. The lack of adding any difference makers at the trade deadline is the nail in Click’s coffin IMO.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Lance was tipping, but that pitch to Harper was a hanger right down the dick. Harper would have blasted that one regardless of the tipping.

LMJ's start in Seattle was great, but his start in NY in game 4 and last night are more indicative of what I believe we can expect from him in big games, especially on the road. He gets a lot of love for the 24-straight-curve-balls outing in 2017, but it seems as though people forget he didn't pitch well in game 7 in LA and shit the bed in game 7 of the 2020 ALCS. I love his attitude and understand why he's a fan favorite, but the reality is he's the 4th or 5th best starter on this team and doesn't have the dominating curveball he's still known for by those who don't really pay attention. 

All that said, the bats let us down last night just as much if not more than Lance. Altuve popping up with two men on in the fifth against a guy who couldn't locate was a backbreaker. Tucker's long fly with two on the 8th prevented what could have at least forced Thompson to use one of his high-leverage arms. It's only one loss, but it's hard to imagine a loss that did more to set up the Phillies for the rest of the series. They got five out of a guy I think they would have been happy to get 3 out of. They didn't have to use a single high-leverage reliver all night (and haven't since game 1) and are well set up for tonight and the likely bullpen game in game 5. The series isn't over, but we have really made this difficult on ourselves. But, if we win tonight, we are back in the driver's seat. Nothing is fucked, dudes. It's just going to be harder than it needed to be. 

• Hook 'Em 4

You are uninvited from this thread. Don't post in here anymore or you will get time off. 

I’ve posted two words, one meme, and one gif on this thread. The same thread where people were saying that Philly fans talking shit and being loud at the games didn’t matter. Because they could handle it. I will respect your request and move along. Just figured that, as surlians, we were all of sturdier stock. Best of luck to the Astros. My apologies to those I have offended. I meant no ill will. Any future posts about the WS will be in the WS thread.

7 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Lance was tipping, but that pitch to Harper was a hanger right down the dick. Harper would have blasted that one regardless of the tipping.

This.  Lance doesn't use his fastball much, so Harper could sit curve or slider and if he guessed right and it was in that spot, it was going a long way.

I wasn't worried about the tipping until the next two homers, esp when Bohm hit that missile after Harper flagged him down to say something to him.

11 minutes ago, Txslnghrns said:

I’ve posted two words, one meme, and one gif on this thread. The same thread where people were saying that Philly fans talking shit and being loud at the games didn’t matter. Because they could handle it. I will respect your request and move along. Just figured that, as surlians, we were all of sturdier stock. Best of luck to the Astros. My apologies to those I have offended. I meant no ill will. Any future posts about the WS will be in the WS thread.

Get fucked.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Smoltz said he's thrown 2 fastballs to left handers since coming back.  Not pitching Javier last night is gonna haunt me if they lose.

Javier is pitching tonight.  If he had pitched last night, Lance would be pitching tonight.  idmas.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Feels dumb to bitch about this in a 7-0 game, but holy hell that Chas at-bat was a disgrace.

Cool... so they only lose by 6.37 runs now.   But IDMAS.

The one thing that Smoltz said last night that I agreed with is that an ass-whooping is easier to put behind you than a close loss.  I keep coming back to the ALCS last year when the Red Sox were really feeling their oats and Astros fandom was down and out.  The Astros DGAF.  They go out and win the next 3 games and the series.  They have it in them.

• Hook 'Em 3

49 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

LMJ's start in Seattle was great, but his start in NY in game 4 and last night are more indicative of what I believe we can expect from him in big games, especially on the road. He gets a lot of love for the 24-straight-curve-balls outing in 2017, but it seems as though people forget he didn't pitch well in game 7 in LA and shit the bed in game 7 of the 2020 ALCS. I love his attitude and understand why he's a fan favorite, but the reality is he's the 4th or 5th best starter on this team and doesn't have the dominating curveball he's still known for by those who don't really pay attention. 

All that said, the bats let us down last night just as much if not more than Lance. Altuve popping up with two men on in the fifth against a guy who couldn't locate was a backbreaker. Tucker's long fly with two on the 8th prevented what could have at least forced Thompson to use one of his high-leverage arms. It's only one loss, but it's hard to imagine a loss that did more to set up the Phillies for the rest of the series. They got five out of a guy I think they would have been happy to get 3 out of. They didn't have to use a single high-leverage reliver all night (and haven't since game 1) and are well set up for tonight and the likely bullpen game in game 5. The series isn't over, but we have really made this difficult on ourselves. But, if we win tonight, we are back in the driver's seat. Nothing is fucked, dudes. It's just going to be harder than it needed to be. 

Agree, Lance has actually not been reliable in the playoffs.  Win today, and everything changes.

But can we even score 5 or 6?

37 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Cool... so they only lose by 6.37 runs now.   But IDMAS.

The one thing that Smoltz said last night that I agreed with is that an ass-whooping is easier to put behind you than a close loss.  I keep coming back to the ALCS last year when the Red Sox were really feeling their oats and Astros fandom was down and out.  The Astros DGAF.  They go out and win the next 3 games and the series.  They have it in them.

Yes, a blowout can be handled easier, but when your advantage is pitching depth it sure would have been nice to keep it close and put them in a lot more high-leverage situations to try and wear them down over the three games in three days stretch.  Alas our bats went out there like they were on a shot clock and made it much easier on them.

7 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

They're probably shitting their pants in fear of our 4-10 World Series home record.

How many of those games were this year?

We hung 5 and 5 on their best two pitchers at home and they only got a win because of a JV meltdown, and they won't be seeing him in Houston.  They will definitely feel plenty of pressure in Game 5 if it's 2-2.

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Saw a video from last night on twitter where his knee came up higher on some pitches.

I've only seen the still shots on Twitter and it seemed like they were just two different points in his windup.

But if there's video and he really was telegraphing that obviously, that's some seriously amateur shit and I'll say it for the third time: Maldy should've spotted it, too.

Edited by TexArcher

If someone can post it, it's a side by side comparison of his leg kick.  It's definitely different.  It would take rewatching the game to see if he was doing it consistently.  The video doesn't go all the way through his delivery, so no idea what kind of pitches he was throwing.  Since he threw so few fastballs, I imagine they are both breaking balls.

Edited by kevwun

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

If someone can post it, it's a side by side comparison of his leg kick.  It's definitely different.  It would take rewatching the game to see if he was doing it consistently.

I saw the side by side and agree they were different but I don’t remember which ABs they were comparing.

But go watch the bohm and Harper HRs. The leg kick looked the same on both but bohm’s was a fastball, Harper’s offspeed

One was against a righty and the other was a lefty.  I'm guessing that the different leg kick was only on one kind of breaking ball.  He was off regardless of if he was tipping.  Harper's homerun was a shitty pitch.  Smoltz said seconds before that Harper was probably going to look for the curveball and try to hammer it and then he put one on a tee for him.

Edited by kevwun

5 minutes ago, kevwun said:

One was against a righty and the other was a lefty.  I'm guessing that the different leg kick was only on one kind of breaking ball.  He was off regardless of if he was tipping.  Harper's homerun was a shitty pitch.  Smoltz said seconds before that Harper was probably going to look for the curveball and try to hammer it and then he put one on a tee for him.

Right which goes to my post last night that someone negged me on: that maybe he just sucks.

those were bad bad pitches they were hitting 

Edited by UTexasFight

They were sitting on breaking balls doesn't really explain it.  He throws the fewest fastballs of any starting pitcher in the game.  Everyone is going to be sitting on breaking balls to a certain extent.  He threw a lot of hangers and his command wasn't good.

3 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Brian T Smith on the money with this column. As everyone knows, I’m no fan of Dusty (and Click).

I’m trying to stay positive today and send good vibes to our Astros. The rest of us here need to unpucker our assholes. We’re going to turn this shit around and win today. One game at a time.

It's already a repeat of '19 and '21, but I'm changing my Astros shirt routine to get out of that.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Macklemore said:

I ain't tryna get behind the Chronicle's paywall.