2022 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

“I understand what Canada has in place right now. That’s the only reason that I would think about getting it at this point is to go to Canada,” Merrifield said. “That might change down the road. Something happens, and I happen to get on a team that has a chance to go play in Canada in the postseason, maybe that changes.”

Hell of a teammate, right? We suck so I'll stick to my standards but if I get traded to a contender I'll give them up.

1 hour ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Jim Palmer commented last night that “there’s not a nicer guy in baseball than Charlie Montoyo.”  He speculated Montoyo may have been too easy on the players and they let him down.

At least that’s what I got out of it …

Seen that happen in real life all too often.

57 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Does anyone besides me just hate the ASG?

I think I'd rather watch PIT@OAK than the ASG.

I used to like it a lot more before interleague regular season play started in the 90s. I wish they would go back to that model (in which Al and NL teams don’t play each other). I also wish they’d go back to no divisions in the 2 leagues and no league playoffs. World Series is the winner of the AL v winner of the NL. (Yeah I know we aren’t going back to any of that.)

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I used to like it a lot more before interleague regular season play started in the 90s. I wish they would go back to that model (in which Al and NL teams don’t play each other). I also wish they’d go back to no divisions in the 2 leagues and no league playoffs. World Series is the winner of the AL v winner of the NL. (Yeah I know we aren’t going back to any of that.)

I can’t even fathom how much money the MLB would lose by doing that. No playoffs? And more fanbases thinking their team is in the playoff hunt = more eyes on TVs & more attendance. 

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

No.  Pitchers put themselves at risk for no reason whatsoever.  

The whole "everyone gets a ribbon" aka every team having to have an all star is pussified as hell.  Not one player on the Oakland A's should be in the all star game. 

And the Home Run Derby is even worse than the game to me.  

Edited by Scraps

24 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I can’t even fathom how much money the MLB would lose by doing that. No playoffs? And more fanbases thinking their team is in the playoff hunt = more eyes on TVs & more attendance. 

Well yeah, it’ll never happen - it’ll actually go the opposite way and the playoffs will become even more watered-down. But it would be a better system in terms of actually pairing the best teams in the WS. As it is, we play 162 games - enough to reliably identify the best team - but the “champions” are decided by short series, which, in baseball, are reasonably close to 50-50 propositions.

In other words, we choose to crown champs based on a sample size of 7 when we have a sample size of 162 just sitting there.

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 3

Big leaguers. 

The Royals announced Thursday that they’ve recalled top first base prospect Nick Pratto from Triple-A Omaha as one of eight players joining the Major League roster. Also coming to the Majors are catcher Sebastian Rivero, infielder Maikel Garcia and lefty Angel Zerpa, who’ve been recalled from Double-A Arkansas. Additionally, the Royals selected the contracts of infielder/outfielder Nate Eaton, catcher Freddy Fermin, outfielder Brewer Hicklen and infielder Michael Massey from Omaha.

In related news, Tor is -385 tonight. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

The whole "everyone gets a ribbon" aka every team having to have an all star is pussified as hell.  Not one player on the Oakland A's should be in the all star game. 

im looking forward to judge winning the home run contest and upping his next contract !!!

41 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Looks like you'll get to see the one who got away and won't have to see the one who crushed your dreams:

Love Seager.  Always will.  But I am quite pleased with his replacement at SS, who will be starting for the NL.

popcorn.gif

Agent Casey Close sued Fox Sports radio host Doug Gottlieb for libel Thursday, alleging that Gottlieb "falsely and recklessly" defamed Close and Excel Sports Management in a tweet that claimed they had not presented a contract offer to star first baseman Freddie Freeman during free agency, according to a complaint filed in a New York court.

The lawsuit details Close's negotiations with the Atlanta Braves, the team with which Freeman had spent his career before signing a six-year, $162 million free agent contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers in March. On June 29, Gottlieb tweeted: "Casey Close never told Freddie Freeman about the Braves final offer, that is why Freeman fired him" -- an allegation the complaint says is false and has prompted death threats toward Close and tens of millions of dollars in damages to Close and Excel.

In a statement, Close said: "Although we gave Mr. Gottlieb an opportunity to retract his false statement, he failed to do so. The Complaint sets the record straight as to what occurred during the negotiations with the Atlanta Braves."

3 hours ago, Scraps said:

Is he even in it? I honestly have no clue because it has not been something I have kept up with 

Judge said he’s never doing it again unless it’s in NYC. Julio rodriguez, Alonso, Acuna, Soto, Schwarber, and Pujols are confirmed participants. 2 slots left. 

And fuck you the HR derby is awesome. Especially in the timed format.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Jebus, 3-1 Final

image.png.a1124a40803ee42f5fe81c4f652584bc.png

I wonder if this is the first time in MLB history that a lineup included guys named Sebastian, Nicky, and Vinnie?

I really liked 3 or 4 of the KC guys when I saw them over the 4th against the Astros. 
that’s a pretty shitty division, they could be pretty good (in that division) sooner rather than later. 

8 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

7 hours ago, Scraps said:

You guys are lame.  Personally 5e MLB AS game is the best of the all star all the all star games in any sport and it isn’t even close.  The games are competitive.  The scores are not some freakish anomaly where every game is 10-8 or 12-10.  They players are into int and try.  Trying in baseball doesn’t put you in a more precarious injury position.  And these are the best of the best in a sport I love.  I fucking love the MLB AS game.  

8 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Yeah then we would go back to last place teams averaging 3,000 or 4,000 fans a game like in 1950.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Give me 129 pitches in the zone vs an MLB pitcher, I could get at least 5 hits, maybe 10 but not more than that. I can completely honestly say I’d be better than Gallo. He’s a fucking embarrassment to the game at this point.

no you couldn't. pete hansen would sit you down for 129 consecutive pitches, you can forget about a guy who is actually in the big leagues. and with major league players defending in the field, and you having to actually run to first in time? LOL. you somehow continue to outdo yourself when it comes to being delusional. it's unreal. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

using baseball-reference, we can see that the average mlb pitcher this year looks like this:

3.99 era, 1.27 whip, 8.35 k/9, 3.12 bb/9 

here is Nick Pivetta: 

4.08 era, 1.22 whip, 8.7 k/9, 3.1 bb/9

Nick Pivetta:

What are you talking about? Helo would crush that sinking shit. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Helobious said:

Give me 129 pitches in the zone vs an MLB pitcher, I could get at least 5 hits, maybe 10 but not more than that. I can completely honestly say I’d be better than Gallo. He’s a fucking embarrassment to the game at this point.

They’d burn one fastball by your head and you’d hastily crawl into Aaron Judge’s marsupial pouch and never come out. 

• Haha 3