Austin jeweler Theodore Shaughnessy murdered; son charged for criminal solicitation

SurlyBDR

I have searched most of the terms I can think of, but haven't found anything on Surly regarding this murder.

SIAP, delete thread and ban user...

Detectives on Tuesday issued arrest warrants for Nicolas Patrick Shaughnessy, 19, of College Station, and Jaclyn Alexa Edison, 19, of College Station, for the offense of criminal solicitation, the sheriff’s office said. Deputies have not arrested either person yet.

“(Nicolas) Shaughnessy and Edison are alleged to have conspired together and hired someone to murder Shaughnessy’s parents, Theodore and Corey Shaughnessy,” the sheriff’s office said in a news release . 

https://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/news/crime/son-of-murdered-jewelry-store-owner-accused-of-conspiring-with-partner-to-have-parents-killed/559669667

That guy wasn’t living anymore in College Station and had reopened the store. I went there when looking for engagement rings and him and the girl both had on wedding rings.

Bonker story as he told me about his father passing away, how difficult it was and how he wanted to honor his legacy. It’s a shame how money can corrupt people so much. 

• Like 1

Kid's a regular Norman Einstein:

On March 5, detectives spoke with an employee at the housing complex in College Station where Nick Shaughnessy and Edison reside. The employee said that Nick Shaughnessy had contacted her via social media about two weeks prior and told her if she were ever looking to make extra cash to let him know, the affidavit said. When she asked him what he meant, he allegedly said, "illegal activities." He then allegedly said, "anything from strippers to murders," and said he would pay her $20,000 a head with a $15,000 incentive. He then allegedly sent her skeleton emojis. The employee said at this point, she stopped responding.

8 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I wonder how many hits for hire actually work out.  Seems like we see them busted all the time.  ( dude whose life Abbott just spared was one) Are there a lot of successful ones?  Or is this the whole lot?  

This one always seemed like a professional hit. Still unsolved.  

https://www.statesman.com/news/local/year-later-westlake-man-death-remains-mystery/mlCw6wnAZ0V5lYbHokNZXK/

Edited by bschoolprof

7 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I wonder how many hits for hire actually work out.  Seems like we see them busted all the time.  ( dude whose life Abbott just spared was one) Are there a lot of successful ones?  Or is this the whole lot?  

Brandon Bevers hired a good one

On Nick Shaughnessy's friend's phone, police discovered that Nick Shaughnessy texted him, asking if he wanted to make $20,000. Nick Shaughnessy "further stated it would be 50k total, with 20 for each and 10 extra because 50, 'is a nice whole number,'" the affidavit said. On Aug. 2, 2017, Nick Shaughnessy allegedly told his friend, "Just walk in shoot a family steal all their (expletive)" and "No mask needed cuz (sic) they'll be dead." According to the affidavit, these comments appeared to be references to what happened on March 2.

Sounds exactly like him. I'm actually in a dilemma as I just bought an engagement ring from Gallerie a few weeks ago after they re-opened. I haven't proposed yet, but don't know what the hell to do with the ring or whether to tell my soon-to-be fiancee about all of this.

Edited by GabrielsHorn

2 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Sounds exactly like him. I'm actually in a dilemma as I just bought an engagement ring from Gallerie a few weeks ago after they re-opened. I haven't proposed yet, but don't know what the hell to do with the ring or whether to tell my soon-to-be fiancee about all of this.

It's simple -- don't get married. 

On Nick Shaughnessy's friend's phone, police discovered that Nick Shaughnessy texted him, asking if he wanted to make $20,000. Nick Shaughnessy "further stated it would be 50k total, with 20 for each and 10 extra because 50, 'is a nice whole number,'" the affidavit said. On Aug. 2, 2017, Nick Shaughnessy allegedly told his friend, "Just walk in shoot a family steal all their (expletive)" and "No mask needed cuz (sic) they'll be dead." According to the affidavit, these comments appeared to be references to what happened on March 2.

Get a lawyer

23 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

The kid is never going to see the money you spent, it will go to his family.

Calling my shot: I'll bet the Travis County DA won't be closed minded about ultimately charging them with capital murder, and making a deal with the trigger man for life in exchange for testifying against the two of them. Or life for them for fingering the triggerman if the cops can't figure out who it was. 

Sec. 19.03. CAPITAL MURDER. (a) A person commits an offense if the person commits murder as defined under Section 19.02(b)(1) and:

(1) the person murders a peace officer or fireman who is acting in the lawful discharge of an official duty and who the person knows is a peace officer or fireman;

(2) the person intentionally commits the murder in the course of committing or attempting to commit kidnapping, burglary, robbery, aggravated sexual assault, arson, obstruction or retaliation, or terroristic threat under Section 22.07(a)(1), (3), (4), (5), or (6);

(3) the person commits the murder for remuneration or the promise of remuneration or employs another to commit the murder for remuneration or the promise of remuneration;

(4) the person commits the murder while escaping or attempting to escape from a penal institution;

(5) the person, while incarcerated in a penal institution, murders another:

(A) who is employed in the operation of the penal institution; or

(B) with the intent to establish, maintain, or participate in a combination or in the profits of a combination;

(6) the person:

(A) while incarcerated for an offense under this section or Section 19.02, murders another; or

(B) while serving a sentence of life imprisonment or a term of 99 years for an offense under Section 20.04, 22.021, or 29.03, murders another;

(7) the person murders more than one person:

(A) during the same criminal transaction; or

(B) during different criminal transactions but the murders are committed pursuant to the same scheme or course of conduct;

(8) the person murders an individual under 10 years of age; or

(9) the person murders another person in retaliation for or on account of the service or status of the other person as a judge or justice of the supreme court, the court of criminal appeals, a court of appeals, a district court, a criminal district court, a constitutional county court, a statutory county court, a justice court, or a municipal court.

(b) An offense under this section is a capital felony.

(c) If the jury or, when authorized by law, the judge does not find beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty of an offense under this section, he may be convicted of murder or of any other lesser included offense.

Sec. 12.31. CAPITAL FELONY. (a) An individual adjudged guilty of a capital felony in a case in which the state seeks the death penalty shall be punished by imprisonment in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice for life without parole or by death. An individual adjudged guilty of a capital felony in a case in which the state does not seek the death penalty shall be punished by imprisonment in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice for:

(1) life, if the individual committed the offense when younger than 18 years of age; or

(2) life without parole, if the individual committed the offense when 18 years of age or older.

(b) In a capital felony trial in which the state seeks the death penalty, prospective jurors shall be informed that a sentence of life imprisonment without parole or death is mandatory on conviction of a capital felony. In a capital felony trial in which the state does not seek the death penalty, prospective jurors shall be informed that the state is not seeking the death penalty and that:

(1) a sentence of life imprisonment is mandatory on conviction of the capital felony, if the individual committed the offense when younger than 18 years of age; or

(2) a sentence of life imprisonment without parole is mandatory on conviction of the capital felony, if the individual committed the offense when 18 years of age or older.

Wild story. Dumbass tries to murder couple in home with alarm, multiple dogs, and weapons? Sounds like hitman was wounded. The "hitman" needs to fucking kill his boss.

This chick was apparently all in on this and may be right up there with Laura Hall on the crazy scale.

Strange that cops tested her hands at scene for residue. Is it sop to do that to "relatives" who show up to "comfort" survivors at the scene 3 hrs after a murder, or did mother give them up right away?

22 minutes ago, TornACL said:

This guy is a real criminal mastermind.

No shit.  Remotely disabling the alarm, texting potential hitmen with offers, texting accomplice regarding pricing..... and so on.   Worst criminals ever.

If it was successfully done, we'd probably never know it was a hired hit.
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ellellelle said:
3 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

If it was successfully done, we'd probably never know it was a hired hit.

Thank you, Simone.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I’ve never thought about it before, but that’s pretty wild that a hit for hire is a capital offense.  Wonder why that is viewed as a worse than the garden variety murder.  

the garden variety murder is probably not pre-meditated at the same level as going out of the way to find a hit man and pay them.