Austin jeweler Theodore Shaughnessy murdered; son charged for criminal solicitation

SurlyBDR

According to the Travis County Sheriff's Office, the couple's 19-year-old son, Nicolas "Nick" Patrick Shaughnessy, and 19-year-old Jaclyn Alexa Edison of College Station are charged with criminal solicitation.

"Alexa, How do you commit murder for hire?"

• Like 3

What in the actual fuck?

3:50 p.m. update: The mother of a 19-year-old accused of plotting to kill his father, Austin jeweler Theodore Shaughnessy, says she "stands firmly behind" her son, her family’s attorney said in a statement.

Attorneys Perry Minton and Rick Flores said the allegations against Nicolas Shaughnessy, whose father was shot and killed March 2, "are not consistent with the young man we have come to know."

“We have been working with the Shaughnessy family over the last several months as they mourn the loss of Ted,” the attorneys said in a statement. “These allegations are not consistent in any way with the young man we have come to know. Nick has been living with his mother since this tragedy occurred. Ms. Shaughnessy stands firmly behind her son. We will review the evidence as it becomes available to us.”

A mother being a mother

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Easy -- she's a mom.  She also just lost her husband, and she doesn't want to lose her son.  AND....emotions are a powerful thing.  They can convince you that the truth you see right in front of you isn't real.

i know that's why i titled the link 'a mother being a mother'. she wants to be supportive to her child that paid to have her killed. a mothers love, something we never can understand i guess.

10 hours ago, krevo said:

Crazy story.  Couldn't imagine how a million dollar payout would be worth conspiring/killing your parents.   

Unfortunately it is common enough that estate lawyers tell clients to let their kids know the money goes into a trust until they are 30 years old give or take a few years. 

On 5/30/2018 at 10:23 AM, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I wonder how many hits for hire actually work out.  Seems like we see them busted all the time.  ( dude whose life Abbott just spared was one) Are there a lot of successful ones?  Or is this the whole lot?  

When you think of the fact that at least one third of all murders go unsolved...probably closer to half since a lot of coroners and forensic pathologists can get cause of death right...hit men have about a 50/50 chance of getting away with it.

I've read that stat on unsolved murders and was very surprised.  All the TV shows make it seem like they solve everything.  I am guessing if it's not family or GF and the killer didn't do something like leave his wallet behind it's pretty damn hard to solve a murder.

3 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I've read that stat on unsolved murders and was very surprised.  All the TV shows make it seem like they solve everything.  I am guessing if it's not family or GF and the killer didn't do something like leave his wallet behind it's pretty damn hard to solve a murder.

You’d have to be a pretty meticulous planner to get away with hiring a hit.  Not only the getting ratted out part, but in cases like this one of the first things they do is start looking at immediate family financial records.  Anything over $10k is flagged and any consistent pattern under that is looked at.  Plus insurance concerns.  

When you think of the fact that at least one third of all murders go unsolved...probably closer to half since a lot of coroners and forensic pathologists can get cause of death right...hit men have about a 50/50 chance of getting away with it.

Kind of sucks for Leopold and loeb.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

unbelievable, a judge just let her walk out of jail on her own recognizance .  They reduced it from 1 million to 250K, and then just let her go.  SMDH

I think we know who rolled over first and made a deal as an "unwitting" accomplice.

Well, the bank they called the G-men, cause they were insured by the Fed
And Jill, she rolled on Jack, cause she was in above her head
The G-men gave Jack wind of this when they made his arrest
And he asked her why she turned on the one that she loved best
"Well, it wasn't easy, Jack, but these are desperate times."

• Like 3

On 6/15/2018 at 8:11 PM, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

She had her bond lowered and was released for agreeing to cooperate with the investigation.  Called it.  And it’s still undefeated.

On 6/15/2018 at 1:20 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

unbelievable, a judge just let her walk out of jail on her own recognizance .  They reduced it from 1 million to 250K, and then just let her go.  SMDH

Her bond was reduced. She was not “released on her own recognizance” which means a personal recognizance bond, a signed promise to,appear with no security (bail bondsman or cash). This is not necessarily an indication of cooperation.

A million dollar bond on this case is high, and would have likely been reduced on appeal had it not been reduced by the trial court.