Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

Idea 1 - Scheduling alliances: only matters for top teams, and they can already schedule who they want

Idea 2 - Big 12 and/or Pac 12 expand: yawn, whether it happens or not...no attractive program is available

Idea 3 - Bluebloods go independent: Would have happened by now if it was viable...can't forget other sports

Idea 4 - New 65-team FB alliance: Could happen, but if you do this you might as well just aim big and do...

Idea 5 - Smaller "Premier" alliance: Hard to see it happening now, but it makes the most sense

As Karl Benson said, the school name would be on the uniform but that's the only connection. It's kind of the case today whether we admit it or not. If the presidents realized they could make way more money, have a better product on the field and not have to keep up the academic charade (including Title IX), maybe they would take the plunge. 

I don't know enough about the macroeconomics of higher education in general, which I assume comes into play before any new paradigm can come into being. There may be public funding or antitrust issues that prevent Idea 5 from getting off the ground.

On 7/25/2019 at 12:24 PM, Bartles said:

Idea 1 - Scheduling alliances: only matters for top teams, and they can already schedule who they want

Idea 2 - Big 12 and/or Pac 12 expand: yawn, whether it happens or not...no attractive program is available

Idea 3 - Bluebloods go independent: Would have happened by now if it was viable...can't forget other sports

Idea 4 - New 65-team FB alliance: Could happen, but if you do this you might as well just aim big and do...

Idea 5 - Smaller "Premier" alliance: Hard to see it happening now, but it makes the most sense

As Karl Benson said, the school name would be on the uniform but that's the only connection. It's kind of the case today whether we admit it or not. If the presidents realized they could make way more money, have a better product on the field and not have to keep up the academic charade (including Title IX), maybe they would take the plunge. 

I don't know enough about the macroeconomics of higher education in general, which I assume comes into play before any new paradigm can come into being. There may be public funding or antitrust issues that prevent Idea 5 from getting off the ground.

As previously titled...

spacer.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A little 

6. The Big 12 is prepared to expand with any combo of UCF/BYU/USF. ESPN has told the Big 12 expansion with UCF/BYU/USF is acceptable but P5 schools are preferred.

24 replies19 retweets67 likes

2. 4. The Big 12 must finalize the ESPN/GoR before the Pac 12’s TV deal expires. 5. Several Pac 12 schools have expressed interest. 5. The Big 12 is not interested in a scheduling alliance witn the Pac 12 at this time.

0 replies4 retweets7 likes

Retweet

3. By extending their base deal with ESPN and the GoR to 2035 the Big 12 puts itself in position to widen the revenue gap with the Pac 12 and dispel any thoughts of instability thereby making the Big 12 an attractive option to the Pac 12.

"ESPN has told the Big 12 expansion with UCF/BYU/USF is acceptable "

Let's make the Big 12 the Big 14 by really planting a flag in Florida. I'd love to see the Big 12 add UCF, USF, FIU and FAU. Great for recruits, great road trips, great for whores. 

• Like 2

I wish UNM had the resources to join the Big XII. Them plus CSU, which appears to have resources, would be a good add on many levels, with a Pac 12 scheduling alliance and media deal to increase revenues on both sides. But UNM just doesn't seem to have that ability. BYU would be the obvious add, but I really don't like that idea, at all, other than their annual matchup with Utah as part of a scheduling alliance.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1

Unless the Big XII poaches P5 schools, I can't help but think the only financially viable expansion option is BYU for football only. Their football brand and national following actually brings some good value, and if they're football only they won't get nearly a full media revenue cut.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LTbear said:

Unless the Big XII poaches P5 schools, I can't help but think the only financially viable expansion option is BYU for football only. Their football brand and national following actually brings some good value, and if they're football only they won't get nearly a full media revenue cut.

Then why wouldn't we add a 12th "football only" member to go back to a 8-game, balanced Big 12 schedule? That'd give us the flexibility to schedule another marquee home game annually. BYU plus Boise State or UCF?

That'd be acceptable. USF sucks and not just because Charlie is their HC now.

Edited by DFW Horn

2 hours ago, bullet said:

A little 

6. The Big 12 is prepared to expand with any combo of UCF/BYU/USF. ESPN has told the Big 12 expansion with UCF/BYU/USF is acceptable but P5 schools are preferred.

24 replies19 retweets67 likes

2. 4. The Big 12 must finalize the ESPN/GoR before the Pac 12’s TV deal expires. 5. Several Pac 12 schools have expressed interest. 5. The Big 12 is not interested in a scheduling alliance witn the Pac 12 at this time.

0 replies4 retweets7 likes

Retweet

3. By extending their base deal with ESPN and the GoR to 2035 the Big 12 puts itself in position to widen the revenue gap with the Pac 12 and dispel any thoughts of instability thereby making the Big 12 an attractive option to the Pac 12.

The Dude is an ass-clown. Fuck WVU and their "horns-down" hillbillies.

Dump them and add BYU, UCF, and USF. 

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Hell no on UCF, USF, and BYU. Taking the fifth or sixth top program in Florida is not going to help the conference any. Adding BYU is a non-starter since we are not taking any football only members.

UCF is arguably Florida's 3rd best program these days. "The U" has hit the skids.

I've never seen or heard Bowlsby say "no football only members" definitively. Link?

14 minutes ago, 66BUFF said:

CU likes the Pac 12 but I prefer the Big 12.  Better long term money and game times in the Big 12.

I like the PAC in general, because it still feels like a small enough and goegraphically sensible enough conference. Miss the Nebraska game. Not sure the current Big XII would be best for CU, although yes, the PAC financials grow increasingly worrisome.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

UCF is arguably Florida's 3rd best program these days. "The U" has hit the skids.

I've never seen or heard Bowlsby say "no football only members" definitively. Link?

I thought I heard it ruled out during the last round of Big 12 Expansion-that-was-not-Expansion. But I cannot find an article so it is very possible I hallucinated it.

In any case the situation with BYU has been there since 2011 and it has not happened yet so I think that it is probable that the Big 12 just doesn't want them.

16 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I thought I heard it ruled out during the last round of Big 12 Expansion-that-was-not-Expansion. But I cannot find an article so it is very possible I hallucinated it.

In any case the situation with BYU has been there since 2011 and it has not happened yet so I think that it is probable that the Big 12 just doesn't want them.

cougar-in-window.jpg

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Hell no on UCF, USF, and BYU. Taking the fifth or sixth top program in Florida is not going to help the conference any. Adding BYU is a non-starter since we are not taking any football only members.

Adding the Brethren would be like undoing the aggy divorce.  Not just academic erosion by association, but academic degradation by proximity.

We would do better academically with Rice and Tulane.

I would take back pig and add LSU, leaving aggy on an island.  Or poach the Arizona schools.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JFKFC said:

"ESPN has told the Big 12 expansion with UCF/BYU/USF is acceptable "

Let's make the Big 12 the Big 14 by really planting a flag in Florida. I'd love to see the Big 12 add UCF, USF, FIU and FAU. Great for recruits, great road trips, great for whores. 

You had me at whores.

spacer.png

Also, this:

Florida whore 

A female Floridian who lives for the next provider of free drinks, shelter, drugs and food, in that order. The provider does not have to be rich, but a nice car or motorcycle is a must. The Florida whore has a life cycle three times of that of regular whores due to the nice climate, laid-back lifestyle and older-skewing population. Where a regular whore must hang it up after 30 or lower her standards, a Florida whore can feed from providers and go to the beach every day until she is 45 or older. 

Florida whore identifiers: Bleached crispy hair, tan but with a zillion freckles from sun damage, smokes, can pack all belongings in one knock-off designer bag for quick travel to the next boyfriend's apartment, drinks Bud Light but can switch to Grey Goose if someone else is paying, clothing consists of tube tops, cutoff shorts and flip-flops, never has money but her nails are always immaculate.

Usage: "This dude paid for Brenda's drinks last night and took her for a ride in his Acura. She'll meet us at the beach bar after she drops her stuff off at his place. Being a Florida Whore has paid off for Brenda about ten years now."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Since this is kind of the media catch all too...the mouse is going to bundle Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu for a buck less than Netflix.   That's going to offer a gigantic new footprint to the new digital network.

Disney finally unveils Disney+, ESPN+, Hulu bundle for $12.99 monthly

Disney CEO Bob Iger finally announced details for the long-awaited Disney streaming bundle that executives have been teasing for months. The bundle is meant to be an alternative to Hollywood rival Netflix.

Details: For $12.99 monthly, consumers can access Disney+, ESPN+ and the ad-supported version of Hulu. The deal will be available when Disney+ launches on Nov. 12. The combined package will be cheaper than Netflix's premium package, which is $13.99 a month.

Driving the news: The update came as Disney executives walked investors through the high-level results of its third quarter earnings, which missed investor expectations.

The company's massive success at the box office last quarter wasn't enough to save the entertainment giant from an earnings and revenue loss. The entertainment giant's stock price fell roughly 5% in after-hours trading Tuesday.

Be smart: It was the first full quarter that Disney reported earnings after acquiring much of 21st Century Fox in March.

The big picture: Investors had high hopes for Disney ahead of earnings, with many expecting the company to report high top-line growth in response to major successes at the box office and high attendance at its domestic theme parks over Memorial Day weekend.

Yes, but: Operating costs were high and cut into the company's profit margins. This was largely a result of investments Disney made in its new streaming products and paying down its 21st Century Fox acquisition.

Our thought bubble: Tuesday's report sent a message to investors that if Disney's bet on streaming doesn't pan out, its traditional businesses may not be enough to protect the company from long-term industry changes.

What's next: Executives said they expect operating losses to continue to widen next quarter due to more investments in its streaming products.

16 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

Since this is kind of the media catch all too...the mouse is going to bundle Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu for a buck less than Netflix.   That's going to offer a gigantic new footprint to the new digital network.

I’m in.. already get espn+ and with a toddler Disney+ and Hulu is a hell of a bonus add

21 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Has that guy ever been right about anything?

He apparently did have a connection and got some coaching stuff right before he got into realignment tweets.

He seemed to have some link to people who talk to people early on, but didn't have the sense not to overplay things.

3 minutes ago, bullet said:

He apparently did have a connection and got some coaching stuff right before he got into realignment tweets.

He seemed to have some link to people who talk to people early on, but didn't have the sense not to overplay things.

I still don't think anything he's ever posted regarding realignment ever came to fruition ever since "West Virginia to the Big 12".

17 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

how much extra is it to add no commercials to the Hulu package?

7 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I still don't think anything he's ever posted regarding realignment ever came to fruition ever since "West Virginia to the Big 12".

But at least he got that right.  The one with the even worse track record-- FrankTheTank from B1G-land.  He was 100% certain Texas was going to the B1G, among other things that never happened.

But at least he got that right.  The one with the even worse track record-- FrankTheTank from B1G-land.  He was 100% certain Texas was going to the B1G, among other things that never happened.

I forgot about that guy.

Before giving the Dude too much credit, WVU to the Big 12 was of obvious mutual benefit. Texas to the Big 10 is totally one sided in terms of who would benefit.

My belief is these guys have some BMD friends who pump them full of bullshit to find out where the leaks are.
  • Like 1

Florida whore 

A female Floridian who lives for the next provider of free drinks, shelter, drugs and food, in that order. The provider does not have to be rich, but a nice car or motorcycle is a must. The Florida whore has a life cycle three times of that of regular whores due to the nice climate, laid-back lifestyle and older-skewing population. Where a regular whore must hang it up after 30 or lower her standards, a Florida whore can feed from providers and go to the beach every day until she is 45 or older. 

Florida whore identifiers: Bleached crispy hair, tan but with a zillion freckles from sun damage, smokes, can pack all belongings in one knock-off designer bag for quick travel to the next boyfriend's apartment, drinks Bud Light but can switch to Grey Goose if someone else is paying, clothing consists of tube tops, cutoff shorts and flip-flops, never has money but her nails are always immaculate.

Usage: "This dude paid for Brenda's drinks last night and took her for a ride in his Acura. She'll meet us at the beach bar after she drops her stuff off at his place. Being a Florida Whore has paid off for Brenda about ten years now."

Seems I may need to trip on down to Florida.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I forgot about that guy.

Before giving the Dude too much credit, WVU to the Big 12 was of obvious mutual benefit. Texas to the Big 10 is totally one sided in terms of who would benefit.

My belief is these guys have some BMD friends who pump them full of bullshit to find out where the leaks are.

I agree 100% with this.  They're clearly getting info from people on the inside.  But, just like Chip Brown, oftentimes they're just being fed a line of bullshit to act as a mouthpiece for whatever athletic department feels like it can use them.  

Problem is, average Joe Suckah tunes in and believes it, and the cycle continues.

On 8/6/2019 at 4:26 PM, Cornfusion said:

So who is unhappy with their present situation and why?

I'm not sure you can really know that until the next round of deals start getting negotiated.  

That said?  Most of the PAC should be unhappy.  The money is at the bottom, their kickoff time situation is so bad that they're exploring 9 a.m. kickoffs.  Their actual football and basketball product has gotten really bad.  Their one football blueblood has been in administrative disfunction for several years.  

I'd argue Nebraska should be unhappy.  Boring schedule (their AD is selling the fans on future OOC games against the Kansas schools - which should say something about how they feel about their new division foes.)  They've just had their worst stretch of football in more than half a century.  They are basically starting from scratch in developing recruiting pipelines in regions that are outside their conference footprint.  They have no rivalry games.  The Big Ten just dropped the NU-Iowa game from Thanksgiving weekend for a few years so they're not even pretending on that front anymore.  But I think Frost is good enough that they have a chance to pull out of the on-the-field nosedive.

OU and Texas should be a little unhappy.  Neither gets to host a home game within the conference slate that moves the needle for season ticket holders.  The Big 12's academic profile took a major  hit (however much that's actually worth) in the last round of realignment.  But I don't know that either is as happy at this point in the contract as it seemed likely they'd be a few years ago.  Winning, recruiting, hiring good young coaches, and making TV money solved some perception problems.  

West Virginia should be a little bit unhappy.  (Forever grateful, obviously, but unhappy, too.)  They have to schedule themselves into the ground to get any regional match-ups on the schedule to excite their fans.  They'd be elated if they had Louisville's spot in the ACC, IMO.  It doesn't look like the Big 12 will ever be adding any regional opponents that they might care about.  Their exposure in their historic recruiting grounds - particularly Florida - has waned dramatically in the Big 12.  They just had their coach poached by a G5 school.

• Like 1

I'd argue Nebraska should be unhappy.  Boring schedule (their AD is selling the fans on future OOC games against the Kansas schools - which should say something about how they feel about their new division foes.)  They've just had their worst stretch of football in more than half a century.  They are basically starting from scratch in developing recruiting pipelines in regions that are outside their conference footprint.  They have no rivalry games.  The Big Ten just dropped the NU-Iowa game from Thanksgiving weekend for a few years so they're not even pretending on that front anymore.  But I think Frost is good enough that they have a chance to pull out of the on-the-field nosedive.

I think the AD is selling the Kansas games more as a chance for Nebraska fans to travel to another stadium in a few hours drive.  Most of the bitching I have heard about leaving the Big 12 is that the away games are, on the average, much farther away.  It will be a nice weekend travel by vehicle.

The worst stretch of football has had to do with Nebraska's former coaching staffs rather than which conference they resided.  Riley would have sucked in the Big 8, Big 12, or Big 10.  The good part of sucking the last several years is that every game is seen as a "payback" game, which brings more excitement than might be warranted. This especially goes for Iowa and Wisconsin, now that Frost has Nebraska lineman looking like Nebraska lineman rather than BYU quarterbacks.

• Like 1

Pass on the second tier Florida schools. UCF may be playing legit P5 level football right now but they aren't far removed from 0-12. They will come back down to earth at some point soon, and neither they nor USF mean much in terms of eyeballs. Neither holds a candle to Miami, Florida, or FSU. A presence with FL schools isn't necessary to get a FL recruiting pipeline going. There are way more P5 caliber players coming out of there than there are P5 roster spots. A B12 team making an effort will see results - see WVU and Texas.

I'm not really for B12 expansion at this point but Cincinnati is still likely the most attractive option out there. A history of competitive football and a legit national draw in basketball. Academically competitive with the FL schools. Increases B12 footprint in a rich recruiting area largely untapped by 9/10's of the conference - western PA, central/southern OH. Geographically more sensible.

To be clear though, at this point, B12 expansion is pretty dumb/pointless unless we're talking about an existing P5. The Piggy and LSU stuff would be great but is an obvious pipe dream. I wouldn't mind adding some PAC schools but that's years down the road.

On 8/7/2019 at 11:00 PM, utee94 said:

I agree 100% with this.  They're clearly getting info from people on the inside.  But, just like Chip Brown, oftentimes they're just being fed a line of bullshit to act as a mouthpiece for whatever athletic department feels like it can use them.  

Problem is, average Joe Suckah tunes in and believes it, and the cycle continues.

Towards the end of the last round of realignment, it seemed like people were feeding the Dude nonsense and he made himself look ridiculous running with it.  I don't think he was making that stuff out of thin air.

On 8/7/2019 at 6:33 PM, utee94 said:

I don't think he ever claimed to have inside information.  He was just speculating with a Big 10 bias.

11 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

He acted like the things he posted were happening

Yup.  He never claimed a specific inside source, but he absolutely spoke with certainty.  He wasn't just daydreaming up various scenarios.  He said things like, "Texas' administration has reached an agreement in principle with the B1G."  That's not just speculation, that's an assertion.

• Like 1

The Dude is like that one Star Wars guy that spent a decade claiming to have inside information on the prequels. He'd say "in the script I've seen, Obi-Wan Kenobi is a robot clone called OB1!!!!!" and then the movie would come out, all of the shit he'd been saying was proved false, and he'd keep right on making shit up and people would keep reading him.

• Like 1