2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

6 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

This is my surprised face. 

That being said, perhaps Riley has figured out a winning formula after all. Focus all his practices on offense and then get a ton of elite one year rentals on defense from other schools. Schools where the players actually got equal practice time for their side of the ball. Then let them play for a year before they regress. Maybe. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

35 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Sounds like Brenan Thompson to OU.

I was hoping he would do something like TCU or Tech so we don't have to face him when he develops his route running in another year or two. I am sure we can expect a few go routes in the RRR this year if Gabriel can even heave it that far. 

Edited by Vertigo

19 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is my surprised face. 

That being said, perhaps Riley has figured out a winning formula after all. Focus all his practices on offense and then get a ton of elite one year rentals on defense from other schools. Schools where the players actually got equal practice time for their side of the ball. Then let them play for a year before they regress. Maybe. 

Since Grinch is still his DC, I don't see that happening. But... maybe?

10 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I was hoping he would do something like TCU or Tech so we don't have to face him when he develops his route running in another year or two. I am sure we can expect a few go routes in the RRR this year if Gabriel can even heave it that far. 

I will always wish players from Texas transferring out the best. I will summarize it with, "I want you to eat, just not at my table," however FUCK YOU BRENNAN for going to OU. I don't see how he can watch 49-0 and think he wants to play there. Wondering if he got several (a hundred?) thousand reasons to consider it.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Well, the good news for him is the veer and shot has about a total of 3 route concepts you need to know.

There is probably a 50/50 chance at least that he is a track only athlete at this point next year.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I've been able to catch-up with some friends and this one is viewed as the epitome of the seismic shift that has happened in this sport over the last 2 years. That shift has caused some fucking whiplash. 

Alexander has been driving a car at Georgia worth over $150k. He was going to be a starter on the DL for a staff that has put as many guys in the NFL from the DL over the past 3-4 seasons as damned near anyone. He's on a low 6 figure salary. He's gotten away some bad shit at Georgia that wouldn't pass muster at a bunch of places. 

And ... he walked away from all of that for a package that dwarfs it. 

I would not want this guy at Texas. I fucking despise USC. I think Lincoln Riley is an offensive genius that runs a very soft program. Still, though, I am laughing. Georgia is crying foul and their staff is socializing their "woe is me" nonsense to people in the media and around the sport. Fuck those assholes. Enjoy the taste of sand being kicked in your face, Kirby, you fucking bully.

On the bright side, when Alexander inevitably flames out or gets kicked out of the program, it will be one more brick in the wall of Riley's legacy.

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I am sure aggy will be all over this kid, but he looks very meh to me. I am honestly surprised Saban let him commit. 

I didn't watch one second of his film, but he was the composite #117 player in the country with good physical traits and from Alabama. Unless the rankings are waaaaaay off, that dude is a take for Saban and just about everybody.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I didn't watch one second of his film, but he was the composite #117 player in the country with good physical traits and from Alabama. Unless the rankings are waaaaaay off, that dude is a take for Saban and just about everybody.

Yeah, I watched the highlights prior to looking at his ranking. He may be great, but he just didn't jump off the screen to me. Perhaps that is why he is doing the early exit, Saban has a quick hook on some guys. For reference, Bobby Taylor was also a top 200 player. Mistakes happen. 

Edited by Vertigo

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

On one hand, you hate to lose an very athletically gifted developmental guy like Thompson when he's young and could turn into something. On the other, Oklahoma is taking up a roster spot with a guy who was passed up by true freshmen at Texas. 

And dont forget, They get his mom also. 

Enjoy

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Some rumor is floating around that Terrance Brooks was considering the portal but has been talked out of it. Have seen literally zero substantiation but thought it was interesting.

I'm assuming the rumor you're referencing is just people on Reddit speculating about what that one dude who claims to have inside info said? 

10 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

Some rumor is floating around that Terrance Brooks was considering the portal but has been talked out of it. Have seen literally zero substantiation but thought it was interesting.

He was getting nothing and that will change. There are unintended voids in the NIL universe all over the country. Texas has some and that’s also why you don’t try to big dick the marketplace with stupid money on a guy like Bear Alexander. 

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Good for him. If I recall he played pretty well at Nevada (?), nice to see him get a shot at a P5. Would prefer he not be on the schedule but shouldn’t be anything Kelvin Banks can’t handle.

Utah State. He was fine when I watched some of his games but he’s irrelevant at UT’s level. Good for him though. 

• Hook 'Em 8

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

He was getting nothing and that will change. There are unintended voids in the NIL universe all over the country. Texas has some and that’s also why you don’t try to big dick the marketplace with stupid money on a guy like Bear Alexander. 

Utah State. He was fine when I watched some of his games but he’s irrelevant at UT’s level. Good for him though. 

Does USC have some cache of big-time donors who are throwing their money around or are they about to have financing issues trying to keep their current roster happy?

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Didn’t we flip Brooks from Ohio State on the eve of signing day? That’s an impressive recruiting job if he got nothing from that. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Duane Moore said:

Didn’t we flip Brooks from Ohio State on the eve of signing day? That’s an impressive recruiting job if he got nothing from that. 

Gotta keep Brooks and hopefully lives up to the potential he showed last year down the stretch. Will be great watching the son of the dad who coined the term "Wrecking Crew" be drafted as a Longhorn.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Does USC have some cache of big-time donors who are throwing their money around or are they about to have financing issues trying to keep their current roster happy?

What is believed is that they have a budget and Riley has them focused on the portal and roster versus the recruiting trail for the spend. Not saying some recruits won't be getting promised anything, but they're not a priority. 

Regarding actual $$ figures, everyone should be leery of the notion that players are getting 7 figures by entering the portal. That's extremely rare. That would almost certainly have to include corporate support. Ewers didn't get anything close to what Liucci made up and posted. Skill position starters who are stars in big markets can make millions, like Bijan Robinson and Bryce Young did, but a DT isn't getting that kind of jack from a new program. 

Riley makes shit up and then assumes someone will fall in line to make it true. They're paying the guy $110M, they're going to let him arm himself with weapons. Addison didn't get what was promised last year but eventually got plenty after some cajoling of the booster base and some corporate help.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, trythisathome said:

I'm assuming the rumor you're referencing is just people on Reddit speculating about what that one dude who claims to have inside info said? 

Reddit + friends who are tangentially involved in NIL making references. It was enough smoke for me to hazard a question here.  

11 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

I mentioned this in January. His family was concerned during bowl prep and bowl game timeframe cause he was basically the starter to end the season then they started Jamison in bowl game which was somewhat of a surprise. Add on top of that they added CB from Wake and playing time/fair competition was concern but that was fixed and he stayed. If it’s about money that’s a new issue but I’m sure they can fix that. He will help us win games. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

What is believed is that they have a budget and Riley has them focused on the portal and roster versus the recruiting trail for the spend. Not saying some recruits won't be getting promised anything, but they're not a priority. 

Regarding actual $$ figures, everyone should be leery of the notion that players are getting 7 figures by entering the portal. That's extremely rare. That would almost certainly have to include corporate support. Ewers didn't get anything close to what Liucci made up and posted. Skill position starters who are stars in big markets can make millions, like Bijan Robinson and Bryce Young did, but a DT isn't getting that kind of jack from a new program. 

Riley makes shit up and then assumes someone will fall in line to make it true. They're paying the guy $110M, they're going to let him arm himself with weapons. Addison didn't get what was promised last year but eventually got plenty after some cajoling of the booster base and some corporate help.

Obviously, USC is using agents rather than making direct contacts. But, do you think the SEC is going to attempt to get the NCAA involved in tampering cases? USC is making lots of enemies.

1 minute ago, FreeHorn said:

I mentioned this in January. His family was concerned during bowl prep and bowl game timeframe cause he was basically the starter to end the season then they started Jamison in bowl game which was somewhat of a surprise. Add on top of that they added CB from Wake and playing time/fair competition was concern but that was fixed and he stayed. If it’s about money that’s a new issue but I’m sure they can fix that. He will help us win games. 

Thanks - this is part of what I heard. That it was mostly about Holmes coming in and how much he would see the field. I always assume that money is a part of it in some way but I also know very little. 

15 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Thanks - this is part of what I heard. That it was mostly about Holmes coming in and how much he would see the field. I always assume that money is a part of it in some way but I also know very little. 

Yeah but two coaches in particular did a really good job on the communication end to solve it during the Christmas break. I’ll check back in and see if it’s popping up again. Last time I checked tho people actually thought Brooks and Holmes were out playing Watts but it’s hard to bench a 12 game returning starter. Brooks should play a lot of snaps no matter what. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Speaking of internet rumors, apparently USC people are trying to lure Marvin Harrison Jr there. 

I hope they are successful. USC will create one more enemy and it will be easier to retain Worthy.

3 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

Yeah but two coaches in particular did a really good job on the communication end to solve it during the Christmas break. I’ll check back in and see if it’s popping up again. Last time I checked tho people actually thought Brooks and Holmes were out playing Watts but it’s hard to bench a 12 game returning starter. Brooks should play a lot of snaps no matter what. 

From what I recall IT believes that as the season goes this fall Holmes/Brooks will be the guys as you stated. Regardless, I'm happy at the depth we have at that position as well as nickel/star. Lets keep it!

• Hook 'Em 1

IT keeps mentioning we need to look at the portal for edge and TE so with that said it looks like the best edge is Derrick McClendon out of Florida State and there is that North Texas TE....any word on if the staff is actually looking at those positions or just wishful thinking by IT?

Edited by BurntOrange&White

Lulz.  This is about Miami's QB, Tyler Van Dyke, being targeted by Bama.
(Think the timestamp is 9:45 PM and not AM ... )
image.thumb.png.ce213098327b5fb52952aff71e58f046.png

Yeah when I read jalen Milroe is still qb1 so far I was thinking no way and figured they’d try and get someone this portal. But the options won’t be good like the 1st portal window.