2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

On 4/22/2023 at 7:06 PM, BigHorn'13 said:

Find the spot of grass (pretty easy since they don't have much) and proceed to make a snow (or grass) angel. They'll love it!

19 hours ago, Vertigo said:

The dog carpet scoot on the grass is a sign of great respect to Reveille and the corps.

Maybe I'll bring one of these and pretend I was reveille 4's handler and this is how I honor her

aeee38000a309facf84b39f448ec39f5.jpg

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

How does the OU fanbase view Drumm? To even suggest Bear was considering OU is damn near malfeasance.

They signed a pretty good 2023 class and have some 2024 recruiting momentum. There’s no reason to sell false hope in exchange for subs right now. 

It’s Brandon Drumm. It’s much safer to assume he was a stupid idiot who believed OU had a chance as opposed to thinking he’s cunning enough to false generate clicks and views. 

it’s the other OU mod that’s the criminal, right?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Texas is at 85 scholarships right now.  

Is that including guys who are already in the portal? I guess to get an edge, we would need to lose someone. Obviously, there are attrition candidates, but I would think (probably incorrectly) that all those who are going to declare in this open window have already done so.

25 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Is that including guys who are already in the portal? I guess to get an edge, we would need to lose someone. Obviously, there are attrition candidates, but I would think (probably incorrectly) that all those who are going to declare in this open window have already done so.

No, that does not include guys in the portal.  

• Like 1

From an interview with the Fresno State backup QB who was offered.

"He completed 5 of 8 passes for 49 yards during that span while turning 16 carries into 66 yards. Still, Henderson showed enough on film to garner the attention of Aggie offensive coordinator Bobby Petrino."

(What film ... ? He only attempted 8 passes.  Maybe he means the 16 runs ... or his high school film?)

“Coach Petrino was at Louisville with Lamar Jackson. He said my game was kind of similar to his, because I can do a lot of the same stuff that he was doing,” Henderson told GigEm247.

(I suppose the Lamar Jackson stuff was inevitable.)

Here's the full interview.

Fresno State QB transfer Jaylen Henderson talks new Texas A&M offer, Bobby Petrino and more

Carter Karels

Spoiler

Fresno State QB transfer Jaylen Henderson talks new Texas A&M offer, Bobby Petrino and more

Carter Karels

Texas A&M might add another college quarterback into the mix of its ongoing competition between redshirt junior Max Johnson and sophomore Conner Weigman.

Fresno State quarterback transfer Jaylen Henderson, a redshirt sophomore who has three seasons of eligibility remaining, received a scholarship offer from the Aggies on Saturday. He is the first transfer quarterback to report an A&M offer this offseason.

At 6-foot-3.5, 216 pounds, Henderson is left handed and brings dual-threat ability. He reportedly competed with five other quarterbacks for the Bulldogs’ starting job this spring before putting his name into the NCAA Transfer Portal on Thursday. The 15-day spring transfer window closes on April 30.

In his two seasons at Fresno State, Henderson played only five games as a reserve. He completed 5 of 8 passes for 49 yards during that span while turning 16 carries into 66 yards. Still, Henderson showed enough on film to garner the attention of Aggie offensive coordinator Bobby Petrino.

“Coach Petrino was at Louisville with Lamar Jackson. He said my game was kind of similar to his, because I can do a lot of the same stuff that he was doing,” Henderson told GigEm247. “How I am a dual-threat and can put pressure on a defense, he said that scheme-wise that could be tough for a defense. That is what he liked about my game. Also the fact that I can throw the deep ball, he said that stuck out to him.”

After Henderson entered the portal, A&M quickly started to show interest. Miles Fishback, who Petrino hired as an offensive analyst earlier this offseason, initially reached out to him. Henderson then heard from Petrino and landed an offer Saturday.

Only one other FBS program has offered Henderson so far, in Old Dominion. He expects to receive more offers, though, in the coming days and weeks. The Aggies expressing immediate interest should only help their chances of landing him.

“There have been some PAC-12 schools that have reached out. A lot of Sun Belt teams and some Mountain West,” Henderson said. “I am keeping my recruitment open, but Texas A&M is definitely at the top of the list right now.”

At West Hills (Calif.) Chaminade, Henderson established himself as one of the better high school football players in his area. Across five games in his COVID-truncated senior season, Henderson completed 79 of 117 passes for 1,402 yards and 15 touchdowns with one interception while turning 45 carries into 345 yards and a score.

As a three-star recruit and the No. 47 quarterback in the 2021 class, per 247Sports, Henderson received interest from several notable programs. Three Power Five schools – Louisville, Northwestern and Vanderbilt – were among teams that offered him.

So when the Bulldogs added him, they considered him to be one of their best quarterback signees in recent history. Henderson hopes he will find a program that is similarly excited about him as a transfer. And one that can help rejuvenate him.

“Just a great coaching staff that is going to give me a chance to compete for a starting position,” said Henderson on his biggest priorities when looking at a program. “A coaching staff that I can learn a lot about the game from and really give me a chance to show what I can do.

“And a good system for me. I feel like a lot of it deals with the system that a player is in, so the system is really important to me, too.”

If Henderson picks A&M, he would join a quarterback room that includes three other scholarship players in Johnson, Weigman and June-arriving freshman Marcel Reed. The only two quarterbacks on the Aggie roster this spring, Johnson and Weigman, have competed for the starting job all offseason.

The next step for Henderson will be to learn more about A&M before taking an official visit to College Station. He has talked with the Aggie coaching staff about visiting but has yet to schedule a trip.

Given how his conversations have gone with the A&M coaching staff so far, Henderson expects to visit College Station at some point next month.

“I loved coach Petrino’s conversation with me,” Henderson said. “He has a great background. Just to have his interest in me is a blessing. He is confident in the abilities he saw from me, and I am also confident in my abilities. So if I end up going there, I feel like he will be able to truly utilize my ability. I am going to show the world what I can do.”

• Haha 3
  • Drool 1

24 minutes ago, Getafix said:

From an interview with the Fresno State backup QB who was offered.

"He completed 5 of 8 passes for 49 yards during that span while turning 16 carries into 66 yards. Still, Henderson showed enough on film to garner the attention of Aggie offensive coordinator Bobby Petrino."

(What film ... ? He only attempted 8 passes.  Maybe he means the 16 runs ... or his high school film?)

“Coach Petrino was at Louisville with Lamar Jackson. He said my game was kind of similar to his, because I can do a lot of the same stuff that he was doing,” Henderson told GigEm247.

(I suppose the Lamar Jackson stuff was inevitable.)

Here's the full interview.

Carter Karels

Reveal hidden contents

Carter Karels

Texas A&M might add another college quarterback into the mix of its ongoing competition between redshirt junior Max Johnson and sophomore Conner Weigman.

Fresno State quarterback transfer Jaylen Henderson, a redshirt sophomore who has three seasons of eligibility remaining, received a scholarship offer from the Aggies on Saturday. He is the first transfer quarterback to report an A&M offer this offseason.

At 6-foot-3.5, 216 pounds, Henderson is left handed and brings dual-threat ability. He reportedly competed with five other quarterbacks for the Bulldogs’ starting job this spring before putting his name into the NCAA Transfer Portal on Thursday. The 15-day spring transfer window closes on April 30.

In his two seasons at Fresno State, Henderson played only five games as a reserve. He completed 5 of 8 passes for 49 yards during that span while turning 16 carries into 66 yards. Still, Henderson showed enough on film to garner the attention of Aggie offensive coordinator Bobby Petrino.

“Coach Petrino was at Louisville with Lamar Jackson. He said my game was kind of similar to his, because I can do a lot of the same stuff that he was doing,” Henderson told GigEm247. “How I am a dual-threat and can put pressure on a defense, he said that scheme-wise that could be tough for a defense. That is what he liked about my game. Also the fact that I can throw the deep ball, he said that stuck out to him.”

After Henderson entered the portal, A&M quickly started to show interest. Miles Fishback, who Petrino hired as an offensive analyst earlier this offseason, initially reached out to him. Henderson then heard from Petrino and landed an offer Saturday.

Only one other FBS program has offered Henderson so far, in Old Dominion. He expects to receive more offers, though, in the coming days and weeks. The Aggies expressing immediate interest should only help their chances of landing him.

“There have been some PAC-12 schools that have reached out. A lot of Sun Belt teams and some Mountain West,” Henderson said. “I am keeping my recruitment open, but Texas A&M is definitely at the top of the list right now.”

At West Hills (Calif.) Chaminade, Henderson established himself as one of the better high school football players in his area. Across five games in his COVID-truncated senior season, Henderson completed 79 of 117 passes for 1,402 yards and 15 touchdowns with one interception while turning 45 carries into 345 yards and a score.

As a three-star recruit and the No. 47 quarterback in the 2021 class, per 247Sports, Henderson received interest from several notable programs. Three Power Five schools – Louisville, Northwestern and Vanderbilt – were among teams that offered him.

So when the Bulldogs added him, they considered him to be one of their best quarterback signees in recent history. Henderson hopes he will find a program that is similarly excited about him as a transfer. And one that can help rejuvenate him.

“Just a great coaching staff that is going to give me a chance to compete for a starting position,” said Henderson on his biggest priorities when looking at a program. “A coaching staff that I can learn a lot about the game from and really give me a chance to show what I can do.

“And a good system for me. I feel like a lot of it deals with the system that a player is in, so the system is really important to me, too.”

If Henderson picks A&M, he would join a quarterback room that includes three other scholarship players in Johnson, Weigman and June-arriving freshman Marcel Reed. The only two quarterbacks on the Aggie roster this spring, Johnson and Weigman, have competed for the starting job all offseason.

The next step for Henderson will be to learn more about A&M before taking an official visit to College Station. He has talked with the Aggie coaching staff about visiting but has yet to schedule a trip.

Given how his conversations have gone with the A&M coaching staff so far, Henderson expects to visit College Station at some point next month.

“I loved coach Petrino’s conversation with me,” Henderson said. “He has a great background. Just to have his interest in me is a blessing. He is confident in the abilities he saw from me, and I am also confident in my abilities. So if I end up going there, I feel like he will be able to truly utilize my ability. I am going to show the world what I can do.”

So two rice guys, a backup QB from Fresno State, and they are already not super happy with the DBs they took last portal window. I have to say I really like where this SEC roster is headed. 

• Hook 'Em 5

On 4/22/2023 at 8:49 PM, conVINCEd said:

Somebody would’ve gambled on the pedigree.  Not saying he would’ve gotten a big NIL deal, but he would’ve found a home on his name.

is he THE Bobby Taylor's son? Taylor of Longview, ND and the Eagles?

So… if they have 2 guys that are fighting for QB1, and Weigman is the longterm savior of aggy hopes and dreams, why recruit another QB as a transfer?

Wouldn’t they be better sever to recruit a WR or CB off of Fresno State instead of their backup QB?

I know between than to try to rationalize the insanity that is aggy, but why bring in a QB transfer with 3 years of eligibility left at this point? Is their HS QB recruiting for the next 2 cycles so underwater that they are thinking to stack the QB with a transfer so they have a somewhat mature backup for when either of the proverbial “starting caliber” QBs go down due to injury because they are playing behind their dogshit OL they have a backup vs a true FR?

1259600352_waitwhat.gif.b9f92efb88d8535e2f92849973fa711f.gif

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

The number is now up to 8 (since the Spring Game).

image.thumb.png.402cd36a7fae3b5e99f2c496200db9df.png

I actually watched the spring game and Lemonious-Craig was an interesting player. He had some pretty good speed, but Colorado's D was awful so it was hard to tell how good he really is. 

29 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I guess you should be careful what you wish for. It could always get worse. 

He’s brought in over 20 transfers and most of the 14 who left were pushed out, so he’s doing pretty much what he planned minus a couple guys he probably wanted to keep. 

Edited by Burt Macklin