EPL 2022-23: Worldo Cuptus Interuptus

maninblack

Here we go again with the City financial witch hunt. It really feels like the Directors' Cup where Stanford kept winning no matter how they tweaked the rules, until they finally shook things up enough that the Texas types can win it (yay!). But Stanford still competes for it, just under more equitable rules.

Admittedly I don't understand FFP despite reading quite a bit about it last time. I just don't get how the same evidence keeps getting brought out for years while City (and others) continue to sign players as usual. If there was an obvious infraction, step in and nullify the deal(s). Meanwhile more than half the league exists just to hopefully pull a home upset once in a while. It's bizarre to watch from an American standpoint.

44 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Here we go again with the City financial witch hunt. It really feels like the Directors' Cup where Stanford kept winning no matter how they tweaked the rules, until they finally shook things up enough that the Texas types can win it (yay!). But Stanford still competes for it, just under more equitable rules.

Admittedly I don't understand FFP despite reading quite a bit about it last time. I just don't get how the same evidence keeps getting brought out for years while City (and others) continue to sign players as usual. If there was an obvious infraction, step in and nullify the deal(s). Meanwhile more than half the league exists just to hopefully pull a home upset once in a while. It's bizarre to watch from an American standpoint.

City cheated their ass off. They got off on the UEFA charges due to statute of limitations. That doesn't apply for the Premier League. Hopefully they get fucked hard.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, midtown said:

Newcastle and Chelsea

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

you know, as bad as i wanted that fat cunt ashley out, this situation with the saudis blows. 

as such, i'm sort of without a club. i'm kinda rooting fro brentford because that's a colleague's home club.

but i don't really know where to turn. reflexively still watched the nufc match, and should feel pretty good about the place in the table and the cup final but it's all kind of meh.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, Bartles said:

Tell me you don't understand what a witch hunt is without telling me you don't understand what a witch hunt is.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, midtown said:

Newcastle and Chelsea

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

Despite spending 92 million Euro last January, Newcastle hasn’t gone crazy. They still have a number of players who have been around for years that Howe has recently developed into productive seasons (Joelinton, Almiron). They haven’t bought their way into 4th and I think the front office has been very in tune with FFP. 

The EPL clearly told the Saudis that another Man City would not be permitted and that City would soon be punished for its FFP violations.  The Newcastle build has been deliberate, patient and intelligent and they are way ahead of schedule as a result of the fortuitous decline of Liverpool, Chelsea's awful season, the Glazer ownership of United and the impending relegation of City.    

Chelsea is pushing much of the expense of its spending spree into future years which the EPL and UEFA will soon curtail as well.  Chelsea just identified a loophole in the rules that will be closed soon but they won't be punished for a practice that was not illegal at the time they were doing it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, midtown said:

Bunch of fucking hypocrites actually.  NBC, Men in blazers and everyone else has been sucking on Pep and Cities dick for the last 7 years when everyone knew they were cooking the books.  

with the epidemic misuse of possessives when intending plural (particularly with names) in our modern society, i am always kind of take notice and think "hmm" to myself when someone misuses a plural in place of possessive.  makes the world a bit more interesting.

3 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

you know, as bad as i wanted that fat cunt ashley out, this situation with the saudis blows. 

as such, i'm sort of without a club. i'm kinda rooting fro brentford because that's a colleague's home club.

but i don't really know where to turn. reflexively still watched the nufc match, and should feel pretty good about the place in the table and the cup final but it's all kind of meh.

if you consider the beginning of time to be february 2023, the most notable occurrence in soccer is the scrappy, neglected underdogs in 20th place beating the uberwealthy 1st place pretty boys for three points.

Here’s how the full table since the World Cup stacks up in full:

Note: All teams have played six games unless otherwise specified.

1. Manchester United – 16 points, GD +8 (Played 7)
2. Brentford – 14 points, GD +9
3. Brighton – 13 points, GD +7
4. Manchester City – 13 points, GD +6 (Played 7)
5. Arsenal – 13 points, GD +6
6. Fulham  – 13 points, GD +4 (Played 7)
7. Nottingham Forest – 11 points, GD +1
8. Newcastle United – 10 points, GD +4
9. Wolves – 10 points, GD +1
10. Tottenham – 10 points, GD 0 (Played 7)
11. Aston Villa – 10 points, GD 0
12. Chelsea – 9 points, GD +1 (Played 7)
13. Liverpool – 7 points, GD -5
14. West Ham United – 5 points, GD -3
15. Crystal Palace – 5 points, GD -7 (Played 7)
16. Leicester City – 4 points, GD -5
17. Everton – 4 points, GD -6
18. Leeds United – 3 points, GD -4
19. Southampton – 3 points, GD -7
20. Bournemouth – 1 point, GD -10

56 minutes ago, sidis said:

with the epidemic misuse of possessives when intending plural (particularly with names) in our modern society, i am always kind of take notice and think "hmm" to myself when someone misuses a plural in place of possessive.  makes the world a bit more interesting.

Lighten up Francis.  It's an internet board.  If I submit my work for publishing Ill be sure to run it by my team of editors at Pendant

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

City cheated their ass off. They got off on the UEFA charges due to statute of limitations. That doesn't apply for the Premier League. Hopefully they get fucked hard.

Actually to be fair UEFA hit them with a ban that was overturned on the statute of limitations technicality. They were already found guilty, just had the punishment thrown out. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/6/2023 at 1:20 PM, Pig Bellmont said:

Despite spending 92 million Euro last January, Newcastle hasn’t gone crazy. They still have a number of players who have been around for years that Howe has recently developed into productive seasons (Joelinton, Almiron). They haven’t bought their way into 4th and I think the front office has been very in tune with FFP. 

Eddie Howe has done a good job, but i am kind of going to have to disagree with you. Are they not in the top 4 of spenders in the past 4 years? Kind of reflects their current table position (4th).

Net spend the last 4 years. https://www.transfermarkt.us/newcastle-united/alletransfers/verein/762

19/20 - €37.26m

20/21 - €39.00m

21/22 - €130.50m

22/23 - €183.05m

that is a 4 year net spend more than Liverpool or Tottenham. Hell, Brighton is the real story, a negative net spend the last 4 years and sitting in 6th place, 6 points behind Newcastle with a game in hand.

**Oh, and it's not like Joelinton €44.00m and Almiron €24.00m were cheap buys in 2019.

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, yoladu said:

Eddie Howe has done a good job, but i am kind of going to have to disagree with you. Are they not in the top 4 of spenders in the past 4 years? Kind of reflects their current table position (4th).

Net spend the last 4 years. https://www.transfermarkt.us/newcastle-united/alletransfers/verein/762

19/20 - €37.26m

20/21 - €39.00m

21/22 - €130.50m

22/23 - €183.05m

that is a 4 year net spend more than Liverpool or Tottenham. Hell, Brighton is the real story, a negative net spend the last 4 years and sitting in 6th place, 6 points behind Newcastle with a game in hand.

**Oh, and it's not like Joelinton €44.00m and Almiron €24.00m were cheap buys in 2019.

The new owners have been in charge for 2 January transfer windows and one summer, but you’re measuring the last 4 years? I mean ok, you’re entitled to your opinion but they simply aren’t spending like Chelsea or Man City

2 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

The new owners have been in charge for 2 January transfer windows and one summer, but you’re measuring the last 4 years? I mean ok, you’re entitled to your opinion but they simply aren’t spending like Chelsea or Man City

Nobody is spending like Chelsea!  😀

BUT even if you compare the business done solely by the new Newcastle owners (roughly 2 years) against the rest of the TRADITIONAL TOP 6, I would argue they have "bought their way" into that bracket which in turn reflects their current league position (4th place).

last 2 years net spend leaders (using transfermarkt as reference)

1 Chelsea €537.06m

2 Man United €341.33m

Newcastle : €313.55m

4 Arsenal: €304.56m

Tottenham €200.68m

6 Liverpool €104.05m

7 Man City:  €38.7m

I appreciate the discussion

**note: i only measured the last 4 years in my original post to include Joelinton and Almiron in the calculus as they are current contributing starters for Newcastle.

*** also, I dont mean to discredit the job Eddie Howe is doing and how he sets up his team. Southampton were the 2nd biggest spenders the winter transfer window and i have no confidence that Nate Jones is going to be able to manage that investment wisely to get us out of the bottom 3.

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, yoladu said:

TRADITIONAL TOP 6

What does this mean? Top 6 has been dynamic for basically the entire history of English football. Do you mean like the past decade top 6 of ManU, City, Chelsea, Pool, Arsenal, Spurs? 

Just curious how you're defining that - "traditional" is a weird qualifier. 

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

What does this mean? Top 6 has been dynamic for basically the entire history of English football. Do you mean like the past decade top 6 of ManU, City, Chelsea, Pool, Arsenal, Spurs? 

Just curious how you're defining that - "traditional" is a weird qualifier. 

Pretty much.  Chelsea and City had 1 and 2 titles, respectively, before oil.  Everton had the second most titles until 1989.  

6 hours ago, yoladu said:

Nobody is spending like Chelsea!  😀

BUT even if you compare the business done solely by the new Newcastle owners (roughly 2 years) against the rest of the TRADITIONAL TOP 6, I would argue they have "bought their way" into that bracket which in turn reflects their current league position (4th place).

last 2 years net spend leaders (using transfermarkt as reference)

1 Chelsea €537.06m

2 Man United €341.33m

Newcastle : €313.55m

4 Arsenal: €304.56m

Tottenham €200.68m

6 Liverpool €104.05m

7 Man City:  €38.7m

I appreciate the discussion

**note: i only measured the last 4 years in my original post to include Joelinton and Almiron in the calculus as they are current contributing starters for Newcastle.

*** also, I dont mean to discredit the job Eddie Howe is doing and how he sets up his team. Southampton were the 2nd biggest spenders the winter transfer window and i have no confidence that Nate Jones is going to be able to manage that investment wisely to get us out of the bottom 3.

For the record I was originally taking issue with Newcastle being lumped in with Chelsea as a potential FFP violator in light of the Man City talks. This took somewhat of a turn bc we’re now talking about whether NUFC bought their way to 4th. Related but different topics, especially when considering Ashley was never known for investing in on field talent, and recent spending brought in regular contributors like Dan Burn and Chris Wood, as opposed to guys like Haaland or Mudryk. The comparison seems there with raw spending but it certainly seems because there was more talent needed at Newcastle rather than spending on splashy super stars. It just doesn’t feel apples to apples. 

The Athletic happens to take on the topic and compares the first 3 windows for respective club ownership comparing Newcastle with Chelsea and Man City. 

https://theathletic.com/4153315/2023/02/08/newcastle-takeover-spending-chelsea-manchester-city/?source=user_shared_article

You’re right about total spend numbers, especially recently. I’d argue however that unlike City that there’s no shady accounting and NUFC have been within the FFP bounds. And Chelsea’s spending is crazy. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mdmost said:

I wonder how the Man City investigation changes this calculus? I can't think all that much really as these guys just want to sports wash, they don't care about how much they spend, only that they can make their names "better."