2018-19 NCAA Basketball Season

Goo Punch

8 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

NC State shot 16.7% from the floor, including 7.1% from 3 point range!

Only other time i can think of a team shooting that bad was UK vs. GTown in ‘84 FF, something like 9% in 2nd half on 3-33 shooting, incredible ineptitude. 

6 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Oh yeah, I get it. But they spent 10 minutes talking about him and the NBA, not about the game they were paid to broadcast.

Game was a blowout, not much to talk about really. 

Let’s Go Cards, repeat performance from CH, please. 

Edited by Underdog

3 hours ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

Anyone notice that VT is beating NC State 47-22 with 2:48 left in the game?

Update:  the final was 47-24.

So, that wasn't just a run of the mill awful performance by NC State, it was the fewest points scored by a ranked team in the shot clock era of men's NCAA basketball.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/nc-state-vs-virginia-tech-score-wolf-pack-total-fewest-points-by-ranked-team-in-shot-clock-era/

As the article states, NC state once scored 12 against Duke in the ACC tournament--and won!

Rankings out, only 3 big12 teams in the top 25.  I think KU is still a little high.  I maintain my argument that the big 12 is really down.

TennesseeTennessee(48)
20-1
-

DukeDuke(12)
19-2
-

20-1
-

21-2
-

18-3

21-1

20-2

17-4

18-4

19-3
-

18-3

21-1

17-5

18-4
-

16-6

16-6

17-5

17-5

16-6

17-5

LSULSU
17-4

16-5

19-3

17-6

19-3

Others receiving votes: Washington 135, Mississippi State 133, Auburn 128, Kansas State 114, Baylor 44, Wofford 15, Lipscomb 5, Syracuse 3

Dropped from rankings: Mississippi State 22, NC State 23

16 hours ago, Jhawk said:

I maintain my argument that the big 12 is really down.

I don't know why you keep saying this. The Big 12 is the #1 conference in NET (only metric that really matters), #1 conference in RPI, #1 conference in Sagarin, # 1 in KPI, and #2 conference in Kenpom. 

Strength is relative to other conferences and the Big 12 is still at worst the 2nd best conference in the country. Most of the major metrics, as listed above, have it as the #1 conference in the country. 

Based on RPI the Big 12 is actually better this year than it was last year. 

'19 Big 12 rpi: .6058

'18 Big 12 rpi: .5810

Edited by texasstrong12

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

The PAC 12 is really trying to pull off the impossible of being a 1 bid league. 

ASU is down 17 at home to 8-14 Washington State. 

Washington might be the only PAC 12 team that can get an at-large and that’s far from a certainty. 

The DaWgs whipped AZ in McHale tonight.  Thybulle had 5 blocks and 5 steals.  He is a helluva player.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Do not understand how Kansas would be a 3 seed or No.10 overall. Jayhawks are trending downward.

Best SOS in the country and an 8-4 record in Q1 games.

I'm sure their final seed will be worse with Vick's departure.

Edited by Machinator

18 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Haha, yeah, I remember them insisting that despite giving us a No.4 seed in 2011.

The stopped doing special exceptions a year or two ago. That’s the idea of the team sheets, quadrants, and NET ratings. To get away from “teamX has a 10 game resume because their pg got hurt”. Also, they aren’t going to say “we think KU will get worse so we’ll give them a lower seed.” KU very well could get worse and our ranking will reflect it, but right now we’re losing the right games and winning the right ones. 

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

Also, they aren’t going to say “we think KU will get worse so we’ll give them a lower seed.” KU very well could get worse and our ranking will reflect it, but right now we’re losing the right games and winning the right ones. 

Objectively, KU has gotten worse. The Jayhawks started 10-0 with wins over Michigan State, Tennessee, and Villanova. They're 8-6 since.

KU opened league play 4-1 but is 3-3 since. The best player (and dominant inside scorer and rim protector) is done for the season/his career, and now your best outside shooter has left/been dismissed.

Objectively, this is not a No.3 seed or No.10 overall.

I'm not offended--it's a meaningless preliminary bracket. Just noting that KU deserves to be lower because of its diminished capabilities.

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Objectively, KU has gotten worse. The Jayhawks started 10-0 with wins over Michigan State, Tennessee, and Villanova. They're 8-6 since.

KU opened league play 4-1 but is 3-3 since. The best player (and dominant inside scorer and rim protector) is done for the season/his career, and now your best outside shooter has left/been dismissed.

Objectively, this is not a No.3 seed or No.10 overall.

I'm not offended--it's a meaningless preliminary bracket. Just noting that KU deserves to be lower because of its diminished capabilities.

When we were 10-0 we were arguably the best team in the nation so we would be a 1 seed. 3 seed shows we are worse. Two of your criteria are very true in the roster. However the committee is going away from that because it is too subjective so they aren’t going to judge based on that. 

The end of the season is all that really matters. I expect KU to land as a low 4 seed but if we somehow win 13-14 and take the conference crown then we might end up being the last 2 seed because of our schedule.

6 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

The end of the season is all that really matters. I expect KU to land as a low 4 seed

That's about where I would put them.

And I've said it elsewhere: before the season began and through the holidays, I figured this would be one of the best Kansas teams ever. Injuries suck.

6 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

However the committee is going away from that because it is too subjective so they aren’t going to judge based on that.

A quick edit:

I don't think it's reasonable to ignore KU's downward trend because the team from the first third of the season isn't coming back. Sometimes, teams struggle with chemistry or a short-term injury, etc., but find a way to put it back together come March. However, Azubuike and Vick aren't coming back. That makes it far less subjective in this case.

Edited by Braff Zacklin

19 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

That's about where I would put them.

And I've said it elsewhere: before the season began and through the holidays, I figured this would be one of the best Kansas teams ever. Injuries suck.

A quick edit:

I don't think it's reasonable to ignore KU's downward trend because the team from the first third of the season isn't coming back. Sometimes, teams struggle with chemistry or a short-term injury, etc., but find a way to put it back together come March. However, Azubuike and Vick aren't coming back. That makes it far less subjective in this case.

I want to be clear that I agree with you 100%. That’s just a method that the ncaa has been trying to go away from when judging teams. Dumb, but how it’s being done. 

• Like 1

Marquette was lucky to win. They deserved to lose given the way they got more concerned with running clock late than running offense. That always pisses me off when teams try to protect a narrow lead by milking 15-20 sec of play clock and then don't manage to ever get a good shot off. And then Marquette made a critical turnover with a 1-point lead and 50 sec on the clock. Nova blew a perfect opportunity.