LIV tour discussion

Wulaw Horn

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

After seeing this play out for a couple tournaments  I really would like to see this thing become a super tour. Not necessarily this thing- but for a super tour to exist where the top 50 in the world tell all the other guys to fuck off and play the same 12 events every year, plus the 4 majors, with none of the riff raff involved. I think that would be fun. If the tour goes to that with elite, no cut, small events I’d like that. All the guys playing though. So 12 is probably too many. 2 in February, 2 in March, 1 in April, May, June and July (b/c majors), 2 in August. Then maybe 1 tournament in September with the top 10 guys from the season (must play all events maybe?) playing for something stupid like 50 million. Then. I’d never have to watch schmucks or dudes I’ve never heard of win. 
Relegate the bottom 20 every year and promote the top 20 from the regular tour. Maybe top 10. 

I watched the final round today.  It was somewhat interesting.  the team thing while kind a cheesy still gave you something to watch.  production value was fine except they never really had time for replays.  going from shot to shot to shot.

1 minute ago, Hate said:

You don't have to. 

I don’t. Because of that reason. I’d like more golf in my life under the right circumstances I guess is what I’m saying. I would watch what I was describing. I’d make it appointment viewing like I do with the majors. Right now I watch only the majors and when Spieth (and sometimes Scotty) are on the leaderboard. There’s only so much time in the day and with 3 kids and responsibilities to them and my family golf just isn’t a priority on the sports schedule for me. I’d make that a priority. Even better if they could play a fair bit on the west coast, Hawaii or somewhere else the time zones aligned to make it prime time viewing on my tv. 
You might hate that idea. But I bet the super tour would be pretty popular. Most people want to watch all of tigers shots on TV. Or Spieths, and then fuck right off when someone that’s not a top 10 guy wins, even though people on here constantly complain about too much Tiger on their tv. 

6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I watched the final round today.  It was somewhat interesting.  the team thing while kind a cheesy still gave you something to watch.  production value was fine except they never really had time for replays.  going from shot to shot to shot.

I don’t mean seeing it play out in the sense I’m watching it- I’m at 20 minutes of total watching right now- I mean reading about it, thinking about it, hearing reactions to it, etc. 

I did like the highlight package they do with 2-7 shots and music on in the background (I think they called it the blitz?), seemingly every 10 minutes. Reminds me of the studio updates when watching a football game. Always enjoy those. 

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

After seeing this play out for a couple tournaments  I really would like to see this thing become a super tour. Not necessarily this thing- but for a super tour to exist where the top 50 in the world tell all the other guys to fuck off and play the same 12 events every year, plus the 4 majors, with none of the riff raff involved. I think that would be fun. If the tour goes to that with elite, no cut, small events I’d like that. All the guys playing though. So 12 is probably too many. 2 in February, 2 in March, 1 in April, May, June and July (b/c majors), 2 in August. Then maybe 1 tournament in September with the top 10 guys from the season (must play all events maybe?) playing for something stupid like 50 million. Then. I’d never have to watch schmucks or dudes I’ve never heard of win. 
Relegate the bottom 20 every year and promote the top 20 from the regular tour. Maybe top 10. 

Disagree...

That John Daly PGA Championship where he got in as an alternate and won is what sports is all about!!! 

He was a 25-year-old blond guy, an unknown rookie golfer from the University of Arkansas. He was a last-minute, late-night drive-in for the next morning's PGA Championship at Crooked Stick Golf Club in Carmel.

231346d9-0929-4647-85a0-2b64dd1e3359-SW17_BRITISHchamps_23.jpeg.d8f4ab7483c2b0fd4322168f68b3b60e.jpeg

It was a tournament John Daly didn't think he would be playing in. He was the ninth alternate.

But the golf gods were with him as the other eight alternates dropped out. Daly was a player who came in that first day — not even getting a chance to practice on the infamously tough course designed by Pete Dye, 7,289 yards, the second longest in PGA history — and he scored a 69.

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Disagree...

That John Daly PGA Championship where he got in as an alternate and won is what sports is all about!!! 

He was a 25-year-old blond guy, an unknown rookie golfer from the University of Arkansas. He was a last-minute, late-night drive-in for the next morning's PGA Championship at Crooked Stick Golf Club in Carmel.

231346d9-0929-4647-85a0-2b64dd1e3359-SW17_BRITISHchamps_23.jpeg.d8f4ab7483c2b0fd4322168f68b3b60e.jpeg

It was a tournament John Daly didn't think he would be playing in. He was the ninth alternate.

But the golf gods were with him as the other eight alternates dropped out. Daly was a player who came in that first day — not even getting a chance to practice on the infamously tough course designed by Pete Dye, 7,289 yards, the second longest in PGA history — and he scored a 69.

Cool. I didn’t say I was  right, just that it was my preference. 
Go look at the ratings where Tiger is top 3 at a major vs where he isn’t in contention. Night and day. Dwarfs all other numbers. Golf fans like stars. Casuals love stars. 

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Cool. I didn’t say I was  right, just that it was my preference. 
Go look at the ratings where Tiger is top 3 at a major vs where he isn’t in contention. Night and day. Dwarfs all other numbers. Golf fans like stars. Casuals love stars. 

No problem... different opinions are great.  

Besides...

Screenshot_20220731-215237_kindlephoto-12783311.png.1c2ac0bf47ea5bc7da0691a02ae90715.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Do you even comment in the PGA thread? Or are you just in here to get angry about the Saudis? TL is making fun of you for getting so mad about this. And sick use of "gay". 

I didn't know commenting on the PGA thread was a prerequisite for being a PGA fan or having an informed opinion about a league financed by fundamentalist goons.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, heso said:

I really hope they manage to make it a full season without someone in the top 100 owgr winning a tournament. 123, 132, 174 so far. 

It won't be long before there isn't a single LIV player in the OGWR Top 100.

• Hook 'Em 1

No CR, but starting to identify a golf tour with Trump (or any political figure) is a quick way to eliminate a large portion of the population that may otherwise engage in this new product. I know profits don’t matter for the Saudi government, but it’s just a bizarre move overall.

It’s not bizarre at all. Trump has had an axe to grind with the pga tour ever since they pulled out of Doral. And LIV needs powerful allies, something they have very few of so far. 

LIV needs fans. Fans that care. Aligning with Trump in a sport that is majority right-leaning from a fan perspective isn’t dumb at all. In fact, it’s smart. I’ll leave it at that because anything else will get too cloaky. 

Edited by StruggleBus

16 hours ago, htown85 said:

No CR, but starting to identify a golf tour with Trump (or any political figure) is a quick way to eliminate a large portion of the population that may otherwise engage in this new product. I know profits don’t matter for the Saudi government, but it’s just a bizarre move overall.

Agreed.  Any interest I may have had evaporated when his ugly mug became associated with it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Fucking lulz. I read a comment that FIGJAM is +40 in his rounds at LIV. Not believing it, I wanted to verify and tried to search his scores. Went to ESPN.com. It didn't even record his LIV rounds. No mention of them at all in his scorecard history.

No reputable outlet wants to touch this thing. 

Wonder how long, if not already, these dudes think 

tumblr_nrt120wzfZ1uxh8ndo1_500.gif&f=1&n

Fucking lulz. It will be a miracle if this thing exists 2 years.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2022/08/01/liv-golf-viewership-numbers

LIV Golf Draws Much Attention, Little Viewership

Also in Traina Thoughts: Amazon makes another ‘Thursday Night Football’ move; Aaron Donald is scary; MLB broadcaster vs. writer and more.

1. Everybody who is into golf talks about the new LIV tour, and based on numbers I’ve seen, golf fans like to read stories about LIV news. However, when it comes to actually watching LIV Golf, that’s a different story.

According to reports, tickets to last weekend’s event in Bedminster, N.J., were going for $1 on the secondary market.

Via The Washington Post:

“Fewer than 1,000 people were concurrently watching the Facebook Live feed for much of the first two rounds this weekend, while LIV Golf’s YouTube channel was at or above 60,000 viewers for much of Saturday’s second round. On the course, there were far fewer people. Event officials didn’t announce attendance, though most estimates suggested only a few thousand spectators. Tickets sold for $75 per day but could be had on the secondary market for $1 apiece (plus $5.05 in fees via StubHub).”

And according to this Twitter user who tracked the YouTube concurrents every 15 minutes for the event on Sunday, viewership topped out at 115,000.

These numbers are down significantly from LIV’s previous tournament, which took place the first weekend in July.

Considering all the money LIV has shelled out to poach golfers from the PGA Tour, you’d think it would be getting a little more bang for its buck.

I don’t necessarily know who the LIV audience is, but even in this age of streaming, if you don’t have a TV deal, you don’t have a meaningful audience.

A TV deal will likely happen down the road for LIV. But for now, the tour is more about headlines than anything else.

Remember the And1 Basketball league? The in your face, new and cutting edge version of basketball from the streets? That's what this feels like except The Professor and Hot Sauce are being paid millions with not even a fraction of the viewership. "Oh baby!!!'

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Remember the And1 Basketball league? The in your face, new and cutting edge version of basketball from the streets? That's what this feels like except The Professor and Hot Sauce are being paid millions with not even a fraction of the viewership. "Oh baby!!!'

which season did they kill and dismember an American journalist?

2 hours ago, Chooky said:

There's just no way.  Right?  There's no fucking way.  This is just coincidentally the most unfortunate and accidental design since the curved dick trophy for the Women's Tour, right?  Right?

I'm about as anti-LIV golf as they get, but that is retarded. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

I'm about as anti-LIV golf as they get, but that is retarded. 

Yeah, I don't think anyone functioning above 70 is taking that seriously, including the person who originally posted the tweet. But once pointed out it is uncanny. 

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I feel like this whole thing is puppet master theater and the Saudis are laughing their fucking asses off at it. totally worth whatever they spent to make it happen

A multi billion dollar troll job on the entirety of western civilization? Those Wahhabists love pranks, I guess. Buncha jokesters.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chooky said:

There's just no way.  Right?  There's no fucking way.  This is just coincidentally the most unfortunate and accidental design since the curved dick trophy for the Women's Tour, right?  Right?

That's a stretch. There's probably a billion photos of 9/11 wreckage. 

It's been kind of stunning to see the PGA caught so flat-footed in their ability to counter all of this.  I don't think "higher prize money" next schedule is registering.  Nobody seems to give a shit about the size of purse outside of golfers.  They just aren't going to be able compete with money.  Why even bring that up?  I guess paying for travel to guys who don't make a cut is a start.  It's complicated and it seems like they still don't really have any idea about how to handle this.  Is it because they're all just old and confused or are they not consolidated enough as a league? 

Leaning into tradition is a narrow path that also eludes to stuffy and pretentious.  I'm not creative enough to think beyond leveraging tradition and legacy, which is clearly not gonna cut it.  The marketing graphics for Presidents Cup is a good example.  I'm a huge fan of Davis, but their poster looks like an invitation to a banking seminar.  They just seem ill-equipped for this.   

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

its a stupid fucking tropy design but I think it is supposed to kind of look like the L in the LIV Logo

It'd be like accidently having something that looked like a cigarette in the logo of your lung cancer foundation. 

2 hours ago, Chooky said:

It's been kind of stunning to see the PGA caught so flat-footed in their ability to counter all of this.  I don't think "higher prize money" next schedule is registering.  Nobody seems to give a shit about the size of purse outside of golfers.  They just aren't going to be able compete with money.  Why even bring that up?  I guess paying for travel to guys who don't make a cut is a start.  It's complicated and it seems like they still don't really have any idea about how to handle this.  Is it because they're all just old and confused or are they not consolidated enough as a league? 

Leaning into tradition is a narrow path that also eludes to stuffy and pretentious.  I'm not creative enough to think beyond leveraging tradition and legacy, which is clearly not gonna cut it.  The marketing graphics for Presidents Cup is a good example.  I'm a huge fan of Davis, but their poster looks like an invitation to a banking seminar.  They just seem ill-equipped for this.   

The higher prize money was always coming since the new TV deal kicked in. The new schedule (starting in fall 2023) seems to be a more direct response to LIV by responding to player feedback for more of an offseason, etc.  It will be interesting to see how that goes.

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Gonna use this when I ask my boss to let me work for our direct competitor.

being a good numbers guy doesn't make you a good common sense guy.

This lawsuit is going nowhere.  As I understand it, they are independent contractors, not employees(or customers LOL).  PGA Tour can decide not to hire independent contractors as they please.

not sure what the rules are on preventing them from going through Q-school every year to qualify but I suppose the Tour has a way to prevent that.  Even though none of these guys are going to want to do that anyway.

The whole thing is pretty funny.  Tony Finau is on his way to being better than BDC anyway.  Nobody is going to miss these guys in a year.  They got some has beens, never weres and a handful of stars(who don't really move the needle).  People getting worked up over this have too much time on their hands.