The destruction of America's public education system

Captainant

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Huh?  The higher-end parochials (The Jesuit schools, Episcopal School of Dallas, etc.) have incredibly strong academic reputations for a reason.  Among them being decades/centuries of experience with genuine academic rigor and the like.  Unlike Southwestern Hill Country Freedom Eagle Jesus Gun Liberty Academy, founded 2017.

FTR, I went to a Jesuit school, and my parents' reasoning was damned well the academic quality, not the fact that we had a theology curriculum.    And also FTR, I don't believe that we should divert any public dollars to private schools.  Public schools are a community resource, necessary for both individual and the common good, AND free from the requirement/indoctrination into any faith tradition (I have high praise for Jesuit, but let's not kid ourselves, they damn well tried to make a good Catholic outta me.  In terms of church membership, they failed).

Hump. You obviously have never heard of billionaire Tim Dunn’s Midland Classical Academy 

Um.  This is not a coherent response.  The right has been hell bent on privatizing a public service with the intent of pushing that public money to something else, all the while underfunding it.  Let's just look at a small example.  Special education, which can include anything from speech classes, OT, diaper changes, and other services to offer appropriate education to children with other needs.   Texas has an 8.5% special ed funding.  That started in 2004 under Rick Perry, who appointed a new TEA lead (name escapes me at the moment), who created a goal to push the funding down from 10.7% to 8.5% and then celebrated how much fucking money they saved.   So yeah, own this shit if you voted for these people.  Because the school districts all over Texas didn't just magically land on that same fucking figure.   And this rot, isn't simply because of Trump/MAGA crowd, they are just a catalyst. 
For reference, the national average is 15%.   Do you think it is because we are just genetically superior even with all those immigrants and ESL kids?  Or do you think our teachers are just better (that is the lie the TEA guy tried).   Or maybe we are just underfunding it, and making it so fucking difficult for people even if they have a little means.   More on that in the next paragraph.  
Districts and schools are systemically lying to parents on services available, how to apply for them, and who can get them.  This creates time which the districts are encouraged to stall for (I have spoken about this earlier in the thread, including our own experiences).  Once a written request is received they have 45 school days to respond.  And then they get another 30 calendar days to stall for the first ARD meeting.  This might not seem like a lot, but it creates problems where investigations start while the kid is in one grade and then it gets pushed to another without the kid getting the support they needed.  
Let me bring this closer to home.   How many hours a week did you spend with your son doing his work and teaching him the material that is not being effectively taught?  How many hours did you spend per week talking with the school and district just getting them to do what they are fucking supposed to do?   Because some teachers have opted to do nothing but just pass the kid along, meanwhile he isn't learning in their class.   This isn't me rambling on about perovskite or Alcibiades, this is me, taking his lessons on heat transference and breaking it down, demonstrating examples, helping him comprehend the differences, and then relating it back to his classwork and teaching him the terminology.   There are 2 other kids who are getting neglected to some degree because of how severely fucked up the education is for the first kid.   I had to hire an advocate to help us navigate the situation and join parent groups to see how systemic these issues really are.  
-----------------------
You talk about party, because it does boil down to political parties now.  It used to be that we, or maybe I naively thought, that we used to both want a robust education system which would help our country out in the long term and perpetuate the development of skilled people here.   But I see clearly one political group that has tried to undermine education in a multitude of ways for decades.   And now I get the benefit of seeing how fucked up it is because I have to deal with it.  
Think about what I am really saying.  I might have to leave my home where all my kids have taken their first steps, where my wife and I are happy,  where my kids are happy and have friends and ties simply because the education system in one of the largest cities in the US, with the 5th largest district, in a state with 10s of billions in surplus slush funds, because education is how the right wants to punish us for voting blue.   
So, tell me how I am wrong.  Tell me what I could do better.  Tell me how I should feel.   Tell me this is just in my head.  Tell me I am interpreting it incorrectly.  Tell me there isn't one political party to blame for this.   And tell me if you take any responsibility for causing or supporting it?    

Sounds to me like you need to pull harder on your bootstraps. And your kids too - you’re never too young to learn that lesson!

27 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Um.  This is not a coherent response.  The right has been hell bent on privatizing a public service with the intent of pushing that public money to something else, all the while underfunding it.  Let's just look at a small example.  Special education, which can include anything from speech classes, OT, diaper changes, and other services to offer appropriate education to children with other needs.   Texas has an 8.5% special ed funding.  That started in 2004 under Rick Perry, who appointed a new TEA lead (name escapes me at the moment), who created a goal to push the funding down from 10.7% to 8.5% and then celebrated how much fucking money they saved.   So yeah, own this shit if you voted for these people.  Because the school districts all over Texas didn't just magically land on that same fucking figure.   And this rot, isn't simply because of Trump/MAGA crowd, they are just a catalyst. 

For reference, the national average is 15%.   Do you think it is because we are just genetically superior even with all those immigrants and ESL kids?  Or do you think our teachers are just better (that is the lie the TEA guy tried).   Or maybe we are just underfunding it, and making it so fucking difficult for people even if they have a little means.   More on that in the next paragraph.  

Districts and schools are systemically lying to parents on services available, how to apply for them, and who can get them.  This creates time which the districts are encouraged to stall for (I have spoken about this earlier in the thread, including our own experiences).  Once a written request is received they have 45 school days to respond.  And then they get another 30 calendar days to stall for the first ARD meeting.  This might not seem like a lot, but it creates problems where investigations start while the kid is in one grade and then it gets pushed to another without the kid getting the support they needed.  

Let me bring this closer to home.   How many hours a week did you spend with your son doing his work and teaching him the material that is not being effectively taught?  How many hours did you spend per week talking with the school and district just getting them to do what they are fucking supposed to do?   Because some teachers have opted to do nothing but just pass the kid along, meanwhile he isn't learning in their class.   This isn't me rambling on about perovskite or Alcibiades, this is me, taking his lessons on heat transference and breaking it down, demonstrating examples, helping him comprehend the differences, and then relating it back to his classwork and teaching him the terminology.   There are 2 other kids who are getting neglected to some degree because of how severely fucked up the education is for the first kid.   I had to hire an advocate to help us navigate the situation and join parent groups to see how systemic these issues really are.  

-----------------------

You talk about party, because it does boil down to political parties now.  It used to be that we, or maybe I naively thought, that we used to both want a robust education system which would help our country out in the long term and perpetuate the development of skilled people here.   But I see clearly one political group that has tried to undermine education in a multitude of ways for decades.   And now I get the benefit of seeing how fucked up it is because I have to deal with it.  

Think about what I am really saying.  I might have to leave my home where all my kids have taken their first steps, where my wife and I are happy,  where my kids are happy and have friends and ties simply because the education system in one of the largest cities in the US, with the 5th largest district, in a state with 10s of billions in surplus slush funds, because education is how the right wants to punish us for voting blue.   

So, tell me how I am wrong.  Tell me what I could do better.  Tell me how I should feel.   Tell me this is just in my head.  Tell me I am interpreting it incorrectly.  Tell me there isn't one political party to blame for this.   And tell me if you take any responsibility for causing or supporting it?    

Funding of schools isn’t as simple us us good, them bad. Sic. You know it. I know it.  They know it.

Administration of curriculum isn’t simple either. Again, you either recognize it or live in your illusion.

I get sick of the partisan bullshit, obviously in this case in particular, because  it shouldn’t even be partisan.  Yet it is. We as a society either decide to raise that floor of social mobility or decide to let the underclass rot.  

Fuck that all to hell.

and for the record, I didn’t spend much time administering school work to my kids.  I did observe/ manage their engagement and inspected what we expected.

Edited by slorch

Funding of schools isn’t as simple us us good, them bad. Sic. You know it. I know it.  They know it.

It SHOULDN’T be an “us v them.”…yet here we are. One party/movement has OPENLY declared they want to end public education, and they want to defund it, etc. It SEEMS insane (well, it is), but here we are. The insane has become reality. We need to deal with that reality.
  • Hook 'Em 7

42 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Sounds to me like you need to pull harder on your bootstraps. And your kids too - you’re never too young to learn that lesson!

It’s fun to take shots at that philosophy; and I have earned that rep, so cool.  That being said, nothing about my outlook/ opinions shared on here about education is rooted in ability or effort.  At least call a fair game, blue.

22 minutes ago, slorch said:

Actually it is. The leadership of one party spent the entire regular legislative session (and a million special sessions) holding public education funding hostage for school vouchers. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It SHOULDN’T be an “us v them.”…yet here we are. One party/movement has OPENLY declared they want to end public education, and they want to defund it, etc. It SEEMS insane (well, it is), but here we are. The insane has become reality. We need to deal with that reality.

I am saying thee are significant opportunities for countering that position.  It didn’t just come from nothing.  There are causal circumstances.  It is crazy to pretend there are not.

Well.  Obviously this thread is just for flag waiving.

y’all fucking win.

I hope we all don’t lose.  Guess I just don’t care enough.

(returns to shanty.)

Edited by slorch

Administration of curriculum isn’t simple either. Again, you either recognize it or live in your illusion.
I get sick of the partisan bullshit, obviously in this case in particular, because  it shouldn’t even be partisan.  Yet it is. We as a society either decide to raise that floor of social mobility or decide to let the underclass rot.  
Fuck that all to hell.
and for the record, I didn’t spend much time administering school work to my kids.  I did observe/ manage their engagement and inspected what we expected.

First, I appreciate the Bob Dole style of communication and i can still hear Dan Ackroyd’s version in my head.

How is it not an “us” vs. “then” when one political party literally started this and keeps running with it. Why do you not see it that way? It is not like there are an army of Republicans running against the education fuckery or speaking out against it? Or running against their own party members to try and help protect and bolster education?

I truly envy that you were able to peek in, set expectations with your kids. I would love to be able to just talk with them here or there and continue to teach them accelerated math. TEA mandated that class sizes were to be fewer than 22 students. My son is in a class of over 40. My 4th grade daughter is in a class of about 30 students and we are lucky another teacher has close to 40 students. How is this allowed? Who is advocating for or against this?
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, slorch said:

y’all fucking win.

(returns to shanty.)

Refute ONE of the god damn points and stop playing the FUCKING victim for once in your life. It's as plain as fucking day for anyone to see. One party is fucking up public education in this state, and it ain't the Democrats. Open your fucking eyes. You can't bothsides everything, this is a one party fucking issue and it should be obvious to anyone that's paying the slightest attention.

• Hook 'Em 9

3 hours ago, Nivek said:

-----------------------

This is so fucking true and so fucking depressing. I broke my kids bootstraps pulling them up over and over. I grew up in a world that doesn't resemble what we have now. We keep spiting ourselves despite our kids face. Fuck it is depressing.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, slorch said:

y’all fucking win.

(returns to shanty.)

You are a fucking idiot. You are losing now. You are just too stupid to realize it. Talk about flag waving. Jesus christ.

• Hook 'Em 1

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952i8oja7dyom8oi3xrodl

Indeed we as a society are losing.   Zero argument there, but of course the clowns on here go personal.

'Tis the way.

Motherfuckers,  "We have this cat who agrees that this idea is terrible, but he won't buy in on our fucked up (alleged) solutions either, so fuck this idiot.

Edited by slorch

5 minutes ago, slorch said:

Rome burns and your dumbass is clinging to the triggered bullshit. When you finally figure out you're fucked and keep blaming dems and not your terrible decisions, it will be rich but I won't celebrate it. We are all fucked. You're just too stupid to realize it. Slorched!!!

Edited by HOOKEM4
Slorched

Just now, HOOKEM4 said:

Rome burns and your dumbass is clinging to the triggered bullshit. When you finally figure out you're fucked and keep blaming dems and not your terrible decisions, it will be rich but I won't celebrate it. We are all fucked. Your just too stupid to realize it. Slorched!!!

You are triggered.

Run around the block or some shit.  and politically, I ain't who you think I be.  But keep responding from your flow chart.

Just now, aggie08 said:

God damn you're a tool sometimes.

This board is.

No fucking doubt.

11 minutes ago, slorch said:

You are triggered.

Run around the block or some shit.  and politically, I ain't who you think I be.  But keep responding from your flow chart.

This board is.

No fucking doubt.

Did you send your children to private school on your own dime?

15 minutes ago, slorch said:

You are triggered.

This board is.

No fucking doubt.

Why do you take criticism of the Texas Republican party as if it's personal criticism of you? Really think on that question.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Why do you take criticism of the Texas Republican party as if it's personal criticism of you? Really think on that question.

I do not.  They deserve criticism.  Within the context of this thread, they deserve worse than criticism.  I feel their actions are very fucked up and have said so.

Poster went personal and he knows it. It's deliberate.  Don't be all surprised that someone responds though.

Edited by slorch

2 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Ok, then what's your beef? Who else is to blame for the decay of Texas public education?

If I have any frustration it is that there is ( by some) an absolute binary mindset.  You buy what we're selling, or you suck...and are very stupid.

Yeah, that's a no from me dawg.

The root cause of that decay is parents in general, but where's the political capital in that answer?

Edited by slorch

4 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

This is your feely feels talking. Available empirical data does not support this completely unsubstantiated opinion.

Bullshit.  That doesn't happen with involved parents.

Your enabling mentality is whipping your opinion.

We generally suck as a society in raising our kids.  We reap the results.  We also suck as an electorate.  We reap the results.

Edited by slorch

5 minutes ago, slorch said:

We generally suck as a society in raising our kids.  We reap the results.  We also suck as an electorate.  We reap the results.

What am I enabling? What are you talking about?

You're not wrong that we suck at supporting kids, but I'm gonna need to see you show your work and present some actual evidence that shows how bad parenting is the main driving factor behind the decline of Texas public education and not the Texas GOP actively destroying it with a sledgehammer in broad daylight.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, slorch said:

So let's think for a moment why parents are less involved.... It couldn't be that they're taking on way more hours for less effective pay, and many parents simply don't have bandwidth to raise a  child, that would be crazy talk! That would have to mean that wages have been stagnant relative to inflation and overall economic growth for decades!

Poor parents make for worse childhood opportunity. We have a significantly larger portion of poor with zero social or civil safety nets in place. 

But 401k's are doing great so fuck you I got mine, poor ass bitches! Wreck em!

16 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

What am I enabling? What are you talking about?

You're not wrong that we suck at supporting kids, but I'm gonna need to see you show your work and present some actual evidence that shows how bad parenting is the main driving factor behind the decline of Texas public education and not the Texas GOP actively destroying it with a sledgehammer in broad daylight.

Show my work?

You are suggesting, that political differences are the root cause of the erosion of our schools?  LOLz.  Ask any teacher what they need to have successful students and a constructive learning environment. With regard to parenting and education, talk to any serious teacher, and ask what the roots causes for academic success are.  I don't believe for a second you don't already know.  There is no need to be pedantic.  You fucking know or are unwilling to acknowledge the reasons out of political expediency or IDK what reasons.

That's cool, i guess.

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

So let's think for a moment why parents are less involved.... It couldn't be that they're taking on way more hours for less effective pay, and many parents simply don't have bandwidth to raise a  child, that would be crazy talk! That would have to mean that wages have been stagnant relative to inflation and overall economic growth for decades!

Poor parents make for worse childhood opportunity. We have a significantly larger portion of poor with zero social or civil safety nets in place. 

But 401k's are doing great so fuck you I got mine, poor ass bitches! Wreck em!

No.  Excuses.  and I knew you'd chime in with your bullshit.

Income has jack shit to do with character or ability.  It's just the easy response for you.

You think a 32 hour work week is some extreme hardship on the individual.  GTFO of here...

Edited by slorch

7 minutes ago, slorch said:

Income has jack shit to do with character or ability.  It's just the easy response for you.

Character and ability have jack shit to do with opportunities that children have. That is 100% tied to resources available to the child. 

8 minutes ago, slorch said:

You think a 32 hour work week is some extreme hardship on the individual.  GTFO of here...

Yeah slorch. Lie again you goddamn raider rash scarred taint stain. You keep putting words in my mouth and insisting on things that I haven't posted, but are just the caricature that you have worked up in your head. 

You are lying and misstating things that I have said just so you can knock them down and thump on your chest. It's fucking pathetic and is why you have been enshrined in shaggy/surly lore as a verb. 

5 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Character and ability have jack shit to do with opportunities that children have. That is 100% tied to resources available to the child. 

Yeah slorch. Lie again you goddamn raider rash scarred taint stain. You keep putting words in my mouth and insisting on things that I haven't posted, but are just the caricature that you have worked up in your head. 

You are lying and misstating things that I have said just so you can knock them down and thump on your chest. It's fucking pathetic and is why you have been enshrined in shaggy/surly lore as a verb. 

Put him on ignore.  Most of the  rest of us have already done that.  The only time I see anything he posts is when someone quotes him, so, pretty please, quit doing that.

19 minutes ago, slorch said:

Show my work?

You are suggesting, that political differences are the root cause of the erosion of our schools?  LOLz.  Ask any teacher what they need to have successful students and a constructive learning environment. With regard to parenting and education, talk to any serious teacher, and ask what the roots causes for academic success are.  I don't believe for a second you don't already know.  There is no need to be pedantic.  You fucking know or are unwilling to acknowledge the reasons out of political expediency or IDK what reasons.

Me asking you for evidence to back up your claims is not being pedantic. You're the one making the assertion that parenting is the root cause here, I am asking you to back that assertion up with something other than personal anecdotes or feelings. If you refuse to do so in this instance, you're just being completely unserious and I don't know what else to tell you because there is an absolute mountain of empirical data out there to back up what I'm saying.

• Hook 'Em 2

This Slorch guy is right. It’s the parents fault for the shitty public school system in Texas and not the Republican run state government of the last 20 plus years.  You know what else is the parents fault.  The Texas power grid failures.  If parents would do a better job then many of the good citizens of the state of Texas wouldn’t have frozen to death in their own homes a few years ago.  Have we started with the, “if we taught more bible and religion in public schools then that would solve all of our education problems” from anyone yet.  I can’t wait for that argument.  

The previous paragraph was mostly sarcastic and fuck anybody that is too stupid to realize that the Republican politicians in Texas have fucked up what was once a great state. 

• Hook 'Em 5

8 hours ago, slorch said:

Indeed we as a society are losing.   Zero argument there, but of course the clowns on here go personal.

'Tis the way.

Motherfuckers,  "We have this cat who agrees that this idea is terrible, but he won't buy in on our fucked up (alleged) solutions either, so fuck this idiot.

7 hours ago, slorch said:

If I have any frustration it is that there is ( by some) an absolute binary mindset.  You buy what we're selling, or you suck...and are very stupid.

Yeah, that's a no from me dawg.

The root cause of that decay is parents in general, but where's the political capital in that answer?

7 hours ago, slorch said:

Show my work?

That's cool, i guess.

How is bad parenting the root cause of underfunding schools, pushing voucher programs that will rob more money from schools (which will pass next session), vilifying teachers while refusing to give them even. OST of living raises, replacing counselors with chaplains, firing librarians, and a dozen other things the fault of bad parenting?

• Hook 'Em 5

The topic of the thread is GQP diversion of public education funds to private hands. 

This is mostly unprecedented, although they have been nibbling at the edges of it for years. 

Sure, public education has been deteriorating for some years now and there has been semi legitimate debate over how to improve it. And I suppose mistakes have been made on #bothsides. 

But there is only one side right now trying to defund public education in favor of private education. Trying to excuse that by saying it's a bigger problem is just... I don't know what it is. 

I suppose you can try to argue that vouchers is just another way of distributing funds, which has always been an issue in this problem. 

But particularly with the pro-theocratic background that umderlies everything emanating from the Texas GQP these days, it seems completely fair to be extremely skeptical of the whole thing, to the point of condemnation. 

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The topic of the thread is GQP diversion of public education funds to private hands. 

This is mostly unprecedented, although they have been nibbling at the edges of it for years. 

Sure, public education has been deteriorating for some years now and there has been semi legitimate debate over how to improve it. And I suppose mistakes have been made on #bothsides. 

But there is only one side right now trying to defund public education in favor of private education. Trying to excuse that by saying it's a bigger problem is just... I don't know what it is. 

I suppose you can try to argue that vouchers is just another way of distributing funds, which has always been an issue in this problem. 

But particularly with the pro-theocratic background that umderlies everything emanating from the Texas GQP these days, it seems completely fair to be extremely skeptical of the whole thing, to the point of condemnation. 

Slorch is even condemning the behavior of republicans for this behavior on the thread while also saying the behavior isn’t their fault, or their behavior isn’t a problem. While he’s condemning it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WBT said:

we'll see

That it will pass? Or that it will rob money? 

Abbot and Paxtons primary war was won. Others will get in line, or retire. Hell they’ll probably be able to repeal tenure at Texas colleges as well. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2

CNN — 

The Republican nominee for superintendent overseeing North Carolina’s public schools and its $11 billion budget has a history marked by extreme and controversial comments, including sharing baseless conspiracy theories and frequent calls for the execution of prominent Democrats.

Michele Morrow, a conservative activist who last week upset the incumbent Superintendent of Public Instruction in North Carolina’s Republican primary, expressed support in 2020 for the televised execution of former President Barack Obama and suggested killing then-President-elect Joe Biden.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/14/politics/kfile-gop-nominee-north-carolina-public-schools-michele-morrow-executing-democrats/index.html

• Hook 'Em 1