2022-2023 Hunting Thread

markstanco

FYI on austin processing: got mine done at Hudson’s this year (been a long time).
Breakfast sausage: really good. Wife prefers it to my precious place.
Chorizo: pretty damn good.
Snack sticks: excellent, the boy is gonna love em.
Smoked sausage: really well done.

Across the board, really good stuff.

• Drool 1

If you don’t mind me asking Brisket how much did that run you and how much deer did you take in to be processed?

Was a dinky little doe, and I only take in the quarters…and one of the front quarters got f’d up by my shot (summary: this year wasn’t one of my best hunts), so I think the total weight was 50lbs or so? Total cost was under $200, but I really don’t remember. It wasn’t out of line with what I’ve paid elsewhere, I know that.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/2/2022 at 9:58 PM, 686 said:

This is an old blind out at our place. Guessing ~40’s vintage maybe hauled out to the place in the 60’s and abandoned in the 80’s or so. A solid 30+ years of new growth cedar thicket surrounds it. I found it tracking a deer.

ea1a32af786ec17c7d428d4af9fbbeac.jpg
8cad27560b6c051984753f73b60c906c.jpg

Also known as the Boone's Farm and "ive never done this before" blind

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 8:32 PM, fluff said:

Good stuff Brisket! Hudson’s on Congress has always been really solid in my opinion. I don’t care if you don’t get your exact deer back, it is damn good. F any haters. It’s also damn convenient.

This always irked me if I'm going for steaks/cuts of meat.  For everything else I'm ok (ground up, sausage, etc.)

14 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

This always irked me if I'm going for steaks/cuts of meat.  For everything else I'm ok (ground up, sausage, etc.)

Yeah fuck all that. I’ve seen some unbelievably bad meat keeping before it gets to the processor.  I’ll take the stuff I know was cared for beforehand, thanks. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah fuck all that. I’ve seen some unbelievably bad meat keeping before it gets to the processor.  I’ll take the stuff I know was cared for beforehand, thanks. 

For sure!  That is a big reason why I've been so impressed by how Hunters Creek (North of intersection of US 183 and Hwy 29 near Liberty Hill) does their work.  Open window for you to watch while processing and separate tubs for all of your meat.  It is a single batch processing operation. 

You will definitely be getting your own meat.  (Phrasing, perhaps?)

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

This is why all I use the processors for are ground items.  If I'm doing cuts, I'll do it myself.  Soon as I get around to getting a decent grinder, then I'm doing that part as well.  

• Like 1

It’s been a frustrating Fall so far. We had decent elk numbers in Oct, but I was unable to hunt the first (Oct) season because: 1) a new grand baby arrived in the opposite direction; and 2) my cow tag was only good for the last half of October.

Nov came, and the elk went because our stock pond (tank) dried up. The guy who runs cattle on our acreage said they all moved to a large ranch NE of us where there is a creek. That ranch had 150-200 elk. The deer were also somewhat scarce during the two week firearms season ending 11/30.

I just received cellular trail cam pics of a herd of >30 elk:

01-D94014-ABAA-4200-BED1-3-ECA1-A2-AD2-E

None of them appear to be big bulls, but whatever, I have a cow tag: This is the largest bull I caught on camera…

595-A59-E9-A39-D-446-A-ABB9-7-EB9-AB606-

…and probably will capture because some teenagers horsing around knocked my camera off the mount not even an hour after I started getting pics.

527-E1-D75-E018-467-A-8-EE4-8-E5805-D2-E

I’m 230 miles away, it’s holiday season, and my wife is having health issues pop up, so who knows if I’ll get out there by Dec 31.

At least I’m still alive and kicking. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

Re-opening morning in Port O’Connor.

Ain’t.  Shit.  Flying.

Still better than being back home.

D1BB9935-FC5B-482A-8212-508E7EBF4895.thumb.jpeg.5298ea225ff585aef7bf62f568782c44.jpeg

Guys who hunted this blind last didn’t clean up.  We were greeted this morning by a bunch of empties that they were proud to leave behind:

87FC13E5-0748-442E-80E1-EED9ACE701C4.thumb.jpeg.1f52baa38c58f67e8ed289a7c79be365.jpeg

Hope the fishing is better here in about 1.5 hours.

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 4

2 hours ago, CHIEF said:

That is an old man, looks 6.5 y.o. He is ready to be shot.

CHIEF

Based on some pics from last year and earlier this year, I had him at 5.5 but he certainly has run himself down over the past 2/3 weeks. On my place, we are generally shooting the 4/5 year olds that we don’t want to feed anymore and trying to get everything else to 7.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/9/2022 at 4:53 PM, ImissWallyPryor said:

It’s been a frustrating Fall so far. We had decent elk numbers in Oct, but I was unable to hunt the first (Oct) season because: 1) a new grand baby arrived in the opposite direction; and 2) my cow tag was only good for the last half of October.

Nov came, and the elk went because our stock pond (tank) dried up. The guy who runs cattle on our acreage said they all moved to a large ranch NE of us where there is a creek. That ranch had 150-200 elk. The deer were also somewhat scarce during the two week firearms season ending 11/30.

I just received cellular trail cam pics of a herd of >30 elk:

01-D94014-ABAA-4200-BED1-3-ECA1-A2-AD2-E

None of them appear to be big bulls, but whatever, I have a cow tag: This is the largest bull I caught on camera…

595-A59-E9-A39-D-446-A-ABB9-7-EB9-AB606-

…and probably will capture because some teenagers horsing around knocked my camera off the mount about an hour after I started getting pics  

527-E1-D75-E018-467-A-8-EE4-8-E5805-D2-E

I’m 230 miles away, it’s holiday season, and my wife is having health issues pop up, so who knows if I’ll get out there by Dec 31.

At least I’m still alive and kicking. 

Where's your place?

The last couple weeks has been slow at the house. Not much traffic at all. Pulled my card last night to check pics. Whiskey was going down entirely too easy so I didn’t feel like going out to put the card back in my cam. This morning I look out back and see two very fellas, neither of which look familiar at all, munching down on my corn. Got real excited to see the pics of them, then I look at the window sill above the sink and see my SD card. Damn you whiskey

9 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Where's your place?

Black Hills, adjacent to Custer State Park (you can see the high fence in the first pic below).

”Funny” thing is, I received these photos yesterday of a larger herd (probably the same herd). The boys couldn’t resist messing with this camera, either. I’m learning about camera placement and elk.

1-EFB8217-A8-C8-4026-AA9-F-4-B1707-E77-E

2-D6-C0-B23-53-B3-47-C1-AD43-DF09371-B8-

E3-A861-B9-51-BF-4443-BFE5-CEC65331-E2-A

There are at least a dozen elk on the hillside that are washed out in the sun. From these and other pics, I figure there were >40.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Typical poachers would have sawed off the antlers and, if feeling bold, pulled the back straps. 

Looks like coyotes got to that buck and then maybe pigs.  

The cleanness of the hindquarters is what made me wonder. Typically up here coyotes eat the asshole first and then spread the stomach contents everywhere. I’ve always seen the actual legs be one of the last things to go. 
Of course ours probably lack the civility of yours. And we don’t have pigs. Or rent them either. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

The cleanness of the hindquarters is what made me wonder. Typically up here coyotes eat the asshole first and then spread the stomach contents everywhere. I’ve always seen the actual legs be one of the last things to go. 
Of course ours probably lack the civility of yours. And we don’t have pigs. Or rent them either. 

The whole thing is odd.  Blood trail indicates it got dragged.   

11 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

The coyotes clearly have had some butchery training to take off the hindquarters so neatly!  Pop your knife in that socket, and Bingo!

57 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

How cold is too cold for the deer to come out to play?  Not that I’m terribly interested in sitting in a stand with windchills in the teens but I am curious if  the deer will also nope out of it is that cold. 

The deer will be out in sub-freezing temps.   They have to eat to generate body warmth.  They can’t get a meal from a warm kitchen in a house like we can. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Not really a hunting topic, but I found something when I was setting up trail cams, and is been bugging me for months.

I found a skull without any other skeletal remains. I can’t identify it, and it lacks eye sockets.

There are no chupacabras in the Black Hills, and the last I heard, they have eyes.

869-C2-EC2-0-C4-E-4686-9-D7-E-DD63-CFA65

A283-BA2-A-9763-484-F-AA59-9220-E4630-DC

015-C264-D-99-E3-4-E35-B552-345-E5003-AB

DCDA1698-37-A5-4-E32-AD12-685-E78-EF3296

Smart ass comments are welcome because I got nothing else. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Stopped into a place off 281 on the drive back from SA today and found the oldest boy's Xmas present in .243.  Looking forward to getting this dialed in with him and a little hunting between Xmas and NYD. This should serve him well for many many years, until he inherits his share of the safe. Work has been nuts so have only worked in one sit down but gonna have to correct that.  

2-E76385-A-145-E-4-FBB-8-AD4-100115317-C

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Though a friend, got this Army officer out for his first deer hunt and first deer this weekend. He shot very well and put this doe down in bang-flop fashion. Wanted to learn cleaning/butchering and was all-in.

d25799c533ddc7fcd7096f5883a76fd8.jpg

He’s been shopping/getting educated on hunting rifles and was asking me about Winchesters, Remingtons, etc. and I was spewing lots of information. I had a lot of my guns out for him to target shoot before we hunted, and he finally asked an honest question “I hear you saying Weatherby a lot, I’ve never heard of that name, why do you have so much Weatherby stuff?” The most direct response I could come up with is “Because I’m a gun snob.” Haha. But then it was great to say yeah, this rifle cost $2000, and it doesn’t necessarily shoot better than lower cost imports, but its made by Americans with best quality components and design features that matter to me, and the cost premium is irrelevant to me in the long run. I saw a little glimmer of pride in his eye, pretty great.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Stopped into a place off 281 on the drive back from SA today and found the oldest boy's Xmas present in .243.  Looking forward to getting this dialed in with him and a little hunting between Xmas and NYD. This should serve him well for many many years, until he inherits his share of the safe. Work has been nuts so have only worked in one sit down but gonna have to correct that.  
2-E76385-A-145-E-4-FBB-8-AD4-100115317-CFE.jpg

Nice! What glass you thinking?

11 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Not really a hunting topic, but I found something when I was setting up trail cams, and is been bugging me for months.

I found a skull without any other skeletal remains. I can’t identify it, and it lacks eye sockets.

There are no chupacabras in the Black Hills, and the last I heard, they have eyes.

869-C2-EC2-0-C4-E-4686-9-D7-E-DD63-CFA65

A283-BA2-A-9763-484-F-AA59-9220-E4630-DC

015-C264-D-99-E3-4-E35-B552-345-E5003-AB

DCDA1698-37-A5-4-E32-AD12-685-E78-EF3296

Smart ass comments are welcome because I got nothing else. 

It appears to have a sagittal crest, which indicates that it most likely belonged to a carnivor. Those spurs sticking out on the sides were from the eye sockets, the rest of the sockets have rotted away or were broken off or both. Doesn't appear to be based on size, it looks like a medium sized predator, but it could be a juvenile as well. I'd look at pictures of any known predators in the area to see if I could find a match.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

It appears to have a sagittal crest, which indicates that it most likely belonged to a carnivor. Those spurs sticking out on the sides were from the eye sockets, the rest of the sockets have rotted away or were broken off or both. Doesn't appear to be based on size, it looks like a medium sized predator, but it could be a juvenile as well. I'd look at pictures of any known predators in the area to see if I could find a match.

I’m pretty sure you’re correct. I never noticed how thin the eye sockets are on some canines. With so much of the snout missing, I was also confusing the nasopharynx with the beginnings of a narrow palate (my wife taught college anatomy classes after her M.D. career, so please don’t tell her). I catch more red fox on my cameras than coyotes, so that might be what it was.

Coyote:

A7-E26-BAE-B5-F5-40-B2-97-D3-22-D63-B0-E

On 12/12/2022 at 9:45 AM, ImissWallyPryor said:

Black Hills, adjacent to Custer State Park (you can see the high fence in the first pic below).

We spent a lot of time hiking around the Black Hills back when Black Elk Peak was still called Harney Peak. Beautiful beautiful country up there, could spend weeks tramping around.

• Hook 'Em 1