ULM Warhawks @ Longhorns 7PM on LHN - The Mullet Hath Arriveth

immamac

53 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Overall, this team is much better than last year but we’re still probably a middle of the road 8-4 team, maybe 9-3 if things click.

- Quinn needs a lot more reps.  He was late on quite a few throws.  Once again, we have WRs running wide open only for the QB to completely miss them.  If Quinn is as good as advertised, he will definitely correct this with more reps bc his arm is known for the deep ball.  Also, he had two terrible throws to start his career.  I’m happy that happened.  He then went on to complete like 8 passes in a row and convert multiple 4th downs.  That’s a positive from a mental standpoint vs card who shits himself repeatedly.

-OL looks improved but man, they are young and inexperienced.  Did any of you watch the Bama game.  That D-line is the best we will have faced since the Nebraska line with Suh.  I would take the Bama line over the Nebraska one from a total talent standpoint.  We just watched what UGA’s defense did to Oregon.  That game was 49-3 in the 3rd quarter.  Oregon returns a veteran and experienced OL…. We have a bunch of guys that are barely out of high school and dudes like Jake Majors and Christian Jones who should be playing at North Texas.  It’s going to be a bad loss.  You guys need to be prepared.

-  RBs, TEs, and WRs are all on a elite level.  We just won’t be able to fully maximize this talent with the current youth at OL and QB.

-  DL looked much better but honestly it’s hard to say given the competition.  I’ve just seen enough of Coburn, Sweat, Ojomo, Ovie, etc to know those guys are JAGs and none of those guys would even make 3rd string at programs competing for the CFP.

-  LBs looked WAAAAAYYY better which is to be expected considering they were probably the worst unit of all power 5 teams.  They might even be good this year if DTD and Ford can emerge as solid contributors.  I just never want to see Bush and Brockermeyer out there again.

-  DBs… a freshman was the best player out there today.  I think this unit is still lacking real talent.  Watts is a safety pretending to play corner.  Cook and Thompson lack athleticism and will get tested deep against ou.  Shark gets beat consistently but also makes plays.  The fact a true freshman was our best player should tell you all you need to know about this unit.  We really need to upgrade the talent here quickly through recruiting and portal.

- The return and block unit on special teams looks fucking great.  The snapper, punter, holder, kicker all look like pure shit.  We need to really just go for it on 4th down if we cross the 50 yard line.  

I think this is your write-up for the aggy vs. Sam Houston game. Almost everything in this post is fucking garbage.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

7 looks like our floor, 9 is our best case ceiling.  We should improve as the season rolls on. Young teams do that. Would nice to be a dangerous team heading into November if we stay healthy. Having OSU and Baylor in the back half of the schedule is good. 

That WV-OU-ISU stretch is where we will face the most sustained adversity.  We may be 4-3 after that and people will be screaming for Sark to be fired. A 4-1 finish would then fit nicely with a young team that’s maturing. 

Give me 8-4 with 7-5 more likely than 9-3 just based on the schedule. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, RetiredBagman said:

I was at the game and I have two observations that I was impressed with.

1. The game plan was pretty vanilla, it was meant to be that way not to show our hand to bama. This game was a demonstration of our athletes superior athletic ability and the game was never in doubt. This game was just our guys against theirs no special formations or plays.
2. We have real speed on defense. Teams will have to run it down the middle on us, almost every stretch play or run to the outside was dropped for a loss.

I was disappointed in the lack of connection between Quinn and Worthy. He has a connection with JT and possibly even one with Casey Cain. I would like to see better timing with Worthy or else this season will have another highlight reel of plays where he is consistently missed. I saw 2-3 deep balls that in person weren’t that close. We also cannot afford to lose Overshown for any period of time, he is the glue to the defense this year.

Overall a very nice game on all 3 phases, but the talent level isn’t that deep. I keep telling myself that we don’t have a chance against bama to set my expectations low and hope for a surprise good game, but I don’t feel good about next week. Let’s hope the game plan next week is extraordinary, we will need it to be. Hook ‘em

The deep ball misses were from a miscommunication between Ewers and Worthy according to Sark.  That seems likely.  I am not worried.  Experience will solve that.  I thought the talent was much broader than in previous years.  They are green, but the ability to perform is there.   Maalik needs to work his ass off.  Card looks to have regressed since the spring game and last year.   He seems to have a bad head for the game at this level.  

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, po elvis said:

Your offense loses two possessions when you block a punt for a TD and return an Interception for a TD. Brings down your offensive numbers.

Yep.  Between defensive scores, decent punt returns, and the unfortunate INT on the first drive, the offense didn't have a lot of opportunities to produce long drives before giving the ball over to Card, who went straight into shell-shocked-by-Arkansas mode.  It wasn't the prettiest 52-10, but lets not pretend that that there wasn't some improvement.  Last year this game would have been more like 41-24, easily, and Sark would have had to dip deep into his bag of tricks to get it there.     

Edited by bejezuz

8 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Bullshit. The closest game to this one was a 56-7 win over New Mexico State, that Texas trailed up until 1:48 to go in the 2Q. Texas never trailed in this game, and could have wiped Monroe out in the 2H if they had wanted to get Ewers as many reps as possible. Monroe never threatened the Texas RZ when the 1st or 2nd team defense were in the game, and the STs contributed big plays.

Monroe had 259 total yards, with 100 coming after Texas was up 52-3. I think the defense had a very productive game with 8 TFL and 3 sacks, and that is with Monroe going Jimbo with the play clock.

I guess I dreamt Overshown getting a goal line stop. Weird. @HtownHorn

15 minutes ago, The Deuce said:

The starters played until midway through the 3rd Qtr before backups were inserted. Before the back ups came in, there were 0 rushes that lost yardage, and only 4 rushes that gained less than 5yds. Not really sure what your gripe is about

This is not true. Bijan was tackled for a loss on our 2nd offensive drive. Their CB blitzed from the boundary and tackled Robinson for a 3 or 4 yard loss. Keilan Robinson was coming on jet motion to that side, and the CB completely ignored him and Ewers as this was a straight hand-off with no RPO attached.

7 looks like our floor, 9 is our best case ceiling.  We should improve as the season rolls on. Young teams do that. Would nice to be a dangerous team heading into November if we stay healthy. Having OSU and Baylor in the back half of the schedule is good. 
That WV-OU-ISU stretch is where we will face the most sustained adversity.  We may be 4-3 after that and people will be screaming for Sark to be fired. A 4-1 finish would then fit nicely with a young team that’s maturing. 
Give me 8-4 with 7-5 more likely than 9-3 just based on the schedule. 

9 is our ceiling is a bad take. Even if we assume we lose to bama, we can win every other game on our schedule. There is no reason to think we can’t beat ou or Baylor or anyone else.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, KeysPhoneWallet said:

9 is our ceiling is a bad take. Even if we assume we lose to bama, we can win every other game on our schedule. There is no reason to think we can’t beat ou or Baylor or anyone else.

I think our kicking game is going to keep us from 9+

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yes, and how was that drive set up for Monroe? Did they drive the ball down the field, or get the ball inside the Texas 40 thanks to a poor decision from the freshmen QB?

Outside the Texas 40(42) after a bad decision.  Then they threatened our red zone by driving to the Texas 2 yard line. Which is in the red zone. 🤷‍♂️

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

This is not true. Bijan was tackled for a loss on our 2nd offensive drive. Their CB blitzed from the boundary and tackled Robinson for a 3 or 4 yard loss. Keilan Robinson was coming on jet motion to that side, and the CB completely ignored him and Ewers as this was a straight hand-off with no RPO attached.

Then I stand corrected. However, the 4 rushing attempts that didn’t go for 5+yds is accurate. It wasn’t some kind of situation where a few anomalies are skewing data on a bunch of 1-2yd runs. 70%+ of the rushing attempts (pre-backups) went for 5+yds

Edited by The Deuce

11 minutes ago, Nivek said:

The deep ball misses were from a miscommunication between Ewers and Worthy according to Sark.  

At least 3 of them were bad mechanics. Instead of stepping into the throw he was taking a small chop step and rising up on his toes almost to the point of taking a little hop. Guessing it was nerves so hopefully they get that corrected

39 minutes ago, Bevo said:

1/2 lb ground beef, some Chipotle/Southwestern seasoning, Havati Cheese, Hatch CPs, Pico with side options of your choice - Ketchup, Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Pickles, Mustard all on a brioche bun. All of this with Homemade fries and your choice of beverage. Delivered to you on the couch by a sexy and willing woman.

Also prefer salad when the willing lady is around, but I'll take it.

13 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I think it had more to do with the shitty players that Texas got rid of for the most part.

Ding ding ding.  Worst talent I’ve ever seen on a Texas roster probably ever. No hyperbole. Did Sark have a good year?  Course not. But I’ll give him a pass. 

Geez victory88 did you maybe take it into thought that maybe we ran some real vanilla d and O but we looked a lot better than last year even if that team wasn’t great. I just like that the game never felt in danger and I haven’t had that feeling in what feels like a full decade. Sure there are some things to fix but damn maybe don’t drink the kool aid but take off the doom glasses.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Not a bad take. Of course we can beat those teams, but we can’t run through Big 12 unblemished with our youth and lack of quality depth in lines. It’s possible to catch lightning in a bottle and go 10-2 / 11-2 with a CCG win, but it’s highly improbable. 8-4 sounds right to me. 9-3 is our realistic ceiling. And I bet most of us would be ecstatic with that. 

Just now, Tex-19 said:

Did I hear that Sark presser right that Jahleel's suspension isn't for something at Texas OR Alabama? What other stops does he have that he'd be getting a suspension for?

I think he meant neither school issued that suspension. Aka, NCAA drug test 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Why can't they win 9 to 10?

Talent and competency on defense is improved. Offensive skill weapons are nearing elite. Have a WR or 2 that will be drafted, at least 2 RB that will be drafted, and probably a TE that will be drafted. 

No one else in the conference looked great this weekend. Okie state gave up 40+ to a nobody. Okie looks decent but not any better than we do. This coming week is the only time we play anyone we just don't have the horses to handle unless they just don't show up. 

Why can’t we win 9-10?  Well, I thought you told us: Casey transferred and is gonna make Sark look bad. We’re fucked. 

11 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

At least 3 of them were bad mechanics. Instead of stepping into the throw he was taking a small chop step and rising up on his toes almost to the point of taking a little hop. Guessing it was nerves so hopefully they get that corrected

Casey definitely would’ve made the throws. He’s now making them at Nebraska and making Sark look bad. 

2 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Is my sarcasm meter off or is this serious??

Meter’s off. 

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Sark needs to onside kick with the lead a few times to rise to Scott Frost's level.

I thought Quinn started off making late throws and bailing on a clean pocket early but settled down and played much better as the game went along. No QB is going to look good against Alabama so I won’t judge him on that one. I’m not saying QE is going to have Vince’s career but VY didn’t look good as a freshman either (didn’t he get shutout against OU in his second start?)

Did Brennan Thompson play? I’m anxious to see him run some deep routes. Oregon State had a guy running open behind Boise State’s defense all night that reminded me of Thompson. Quinn has the arm to exploit that speed.

Edited by Billy Pilgrim
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I don't know who to believe, Sark or Hermanator.

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

No he's just being an illiterate cunt. Seems lack of proper public education is really wrecking havoc on reading comprehension in this country. 

Am I?  I’m pretty sure I’m conveying verbatim what you said. “Hermanator”. 

19 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Like the swallows returning to Capistrano, the first Sunday of football season welcomes the internet QB coaches back to Longhorn message boards. 

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Nivek said:

The deep ball misses were from a miscommunication between Ewers and Worthy according to Sark.  That seems likely.  I am not worried.  Experience will solve that.  I thought the talent was much broader than in previous years.  They are green, but the ability to perform is there.   Maalik needs to work his ass off.  Card looks to have regressed since the spring game and last year.   He seems to have a bad head for the game at this level.  

regressed? naw

he was always that bad

he actually settled down and led a decent drive on his second series, but still... if we need him to win a game for us, grab your knees, bend over and kiss our asses goodbye

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Am I?  I’m pretty sure I’m conveying verbatim what you said. “Hermanator”. 

Yes you are. 

This is verbatim what I said 

Ewers better be ready to fucking deal. Ewers comes out and kicks ass and everyone's happy. If he doesn't and Thompson is having a good season Sark is going to look like a fucking idiot. 

IF. IF. IF. You fucking morons. Never said he was going to be great and Ewers wasn't. Said IF

I want Casey to have a good season because he's a fellow "lifetime Longhorn" who sat patiently behind Sam and I don't believe the bullshit the proven liar 9.95ers put out about him. Anyone who doesn't like it can eat a fat dick. 

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

That's it. Last I'm saying about it. Ignored from now

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

Overall, this team is much better than last year but we’re still probably a middle of the road 8-4 team, maybe 9-3 if things click.

- Quinn needs a lot more reps.  He was late on quite a few throws.  Once again, we have WRs running wide open only for the QB to completely miss them.  If Quinn is as good as advertised, he will definitely correct this with more reps bc his arm is known for the deep ball.  Also, he had two terrible throws to start his career.  I’m happy that happened.  He then went on to complete like 8 passes in a row and convert multiple 4th downs.  That’s a positive from a mental standpoint vs card who shits himself repeatedly.

-OL looks improved but man, they are young and inexperienced.  Did any of you watch the Bama game.  That D-line is the best we will have faced since the Nebraska line with Suh.  I would take the Bama line over the Nebraska one from a total talent standpoint.  We just watched what UGA’s defense did to Oregon.  That game was 49-3 in the 3rd quarter.  Oregon returns a veteran and experienced OL…. We have a bunch of guys that are barely out of high school and dudes like Jake Majors and Christian Jones who should be playing at North Texas.  It’s going to be a bad loss.  You guys need to be prepared.

-  RBs, TEs, and WRs are all on a elite level.  We just won’t be able to fully maximize this talent with the current youth at OL and QB.

-  DL looked much better but honestly it’s hard to say given the competition.  I’ve just seen enough of Coburn, Sweat, Ojomo, Ovie, etc to know those guys are JAGs and none of those guys would even make 3rd string at programs competing for the CFP.

-  LBs looked WAAAAAYYY better which is to be expected considering they were probably the worst unit of all power 5 teams.  They might even be good this year if DTD and Ford can emerge as solid contributors.  I just never want to see Bush and Brockermeyer out there again.

-  DBs… a freshman was the best player out there today.  I think this unit is still lacking real talent.  Watts is a safety pretending to play corner.  Cook and Thompson lack athleticism and will get tested deep against ou.  Shark gets beat consistently but also makes plays.  The fact a true freshman was our best player should tell you all you need to know about this unit.  We really need to upgrade the talent here quickly through recruiting and portal.

- The return and block unit on special teams looks fucking great.  The snapper, punter, holder, kicker all look like pure shit.  We need to really just go for it on 4th down if we cross the 50 yard line.  

Quinn looked like he had some jitters obviously on the first drive, but even afterwards, which is understandable. Had happy feet a few times, processing seemed a bit slow, a lot of checkdowns. But the offense did move the chains consistently. Ultimately everyone needs to temper their short-term expectations - this is basically a true freshman, patience required.

WRs were surprisingly quiet. Idk how much of that was the vanilla gameplan, Quinn, or them just not getting open. At least they caught everything they should've. 

Helm got beat a few times in pass pro. Otherwise TEs were good.

Yes it's ULM but the run D looked better than any game last year. Pass coverage was ok, not great imo. 

Kicking game is gonna be rough. Stone was ok on KOs but we'll be tested by teams who don't fair catch everything. At least sideshow made his only doable FG attempt. Not too worried about FG holding either - just let Card do it. I was surprised Pearson didn't punt again after his screwup on his first/only one. Needs the reps, wonder if he got hurt.

Worthy is gonna cause some heart attacks in the return game. He had multiple potential wtf moments but also big returns*. I still think it's dumb having him back there risking injury.

* although I think a ULM guy had touched the ball on the one where he scooped it up right in front of the defenders, which would mean no risk in going for it. Smart move if so except the refs didn't seem to see that on the field bc it was so close.

Edited by Tex-19
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Yes you are. 

IF. IF. IF. You fucking morons. Never said he was going to be great and Ewers wasn't. Said IF

I want Casey to have a good season because he's a fellow "lifetime Longhorn" who sat patiently behind Sam and I don't believe the bullshit the proven liar 9.95ers put out about him. Anyone who doesn't like it can eat a fat dick. 

This post is great. All the hallmarks of a Derka meltdown but much better because of its stupidity. You just mic dropped a post where you called Casey Thompson a “Lifetime Longhorn” which is the dumbest fucking term ever, especially when applied to that cunt. The fact that you thought swapping a terrible QB for the highest rated QB ever, in and of itself, would’ve put the slightest bit of pressure on Sark is insane to state out loud - that’s how fucking dumb it is. Then you’re imagining scenarios where Frost somehow totally reverses his .300 career percentage with QB Cancer at the helm. You’re a treasure. 

Edited by Porterhouse

17 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Yes you are. 

Star Trek GIF