ULM Warhawks @ Longhorns 7PM on LHN - The Mullet Hath Arriveth

immamac

1 hour ago, TexEx15 said:

What fucking game did you watch?

Texas outgained ULM by hardy 100 yards. Offense was unable to gain 400 yards.  Just a pretty ugly night but it only matters for a few days.

Play competitive next week and no one will care although I have little expectations of that happening. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Slacks said:

OkSo... I don't have LHN and I was out with some UT brothers and wives, so I did not see the game. I will, but for now I want an overview from those of you who can see what's good and what needs work.

It seems like the game was so out of hand that there wasn't much work, which I don't like, but I'm ok with saving dudes and playbook to get ready for next week.

So, what looked good and what didn't?

Ewers needs to work on that deep ball to Worthy.  

Ewers connection to JT Sanders was popping off

Our punter can't catch and got benched

Edited by westexhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

These stats are taken so out of context it's hilarious. 

1) A good chunk of ULM's yards occurred at the end of the game when Texas was playing 4th stringers/walk ons. 

2) The Texas offense didn't gain 400 yards because the starters played 2.5 quarters. 

3) The first team Texas offense had two less opportunities to posses the ball thanks to the two scores made by the special teams with the blocked punt. And the INT for which that drive would have likely resulted in a punt by ULM.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Honestly Ewers isn't anywhere near ready for next week. He started this horribly then Sark protected him with easy quick short throws that aren't going to cut it against Bama. All of his long throws were off. 
Good news is Sark looks to have boosted the talent and fight level at DL, LB, TE, OL, and our RBs and Receivers look legit. Just need Ewers to grow. 
Won't happen in time for next week, but what I saw from his first ever college start was promising at least..can't say that about every first time starting QB no matter how long they've been in the system.
I'll never celebrate a loss..no such thing as an aggyesque moral victory, but I won't be too displeased if we avoid an embarrassing mudhole against Bama.

1 minute ago, ousux said:

Won't happen in time for next week, but what I saw from his first ever college start was promising at least..can't say that about every first time starting QB no matter how long they've been in the system.
I'll never celebrate a loss..no such thing as an aggyesque moral victory, but I won't be too displeased if we avoid an embarrassing mudhole against Bama.

That and no season ending injuries to anyone on our 2 deep.

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, RabidM said:

This game felt similar to a late era Mack Brown game against a shitty team.  In the end, the score looked pretty good, the stats seemed OK, but watching the game, there were things that just made you feel really uneasy about the upcoming season. 

I mean... there should be no surprises.

We are who I thought we were. Extremely talented, terribly young, and still looking for a great pass rusher.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Bullshit. The closest game to this one was a 56-7 win over New Mexico State, that Texas trailed up until 1:48 to go in the 2Q. Texas never trailed in this game, and could have wiped Monroe out in the 2H if they had wanted to get Ewers as many reps as possible. Monroe never threatened the Texas RZ when the 1st or 2nd team defense were in the game, and the STs contributed big plays.

Monroe had 259 total yards, with 100 coming after Texas was up 52-3. I think the defense had a very productive game with 8 TFL and 3 sacks, and that is with Monroe going Jimbo with the play clock.

I had forgot about that game.    Imagine the belly aching and vaginal bleeding that would have gone on here on Surly….  All the Costcos and  Sams Clubs in the Austin area couldn’t supply us with enough tampons to absorb the bleeding. 

• Haha 3

Just now, Nueces River Rat said:

I had forgot about that game.    Imagine the belly aching and vaginal bleeding that would have gone on here on Surly….  All the Costcos and  Sams Clubs in the Austin area couldn’t supply us with enough tampons to absorb the bleeding. 

they probably double stock for football season 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, RabidM said:

This game felt similar to a late era Mack Brown game against a shitty team.  In the end, the score looked pretty good, the stats seemed OK, but watching the game, there were things that just made you feel really uneasy about the upcoming season. 

You’re telling me things are looking better?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rimbo said:

ok so

* Ewers is the real fuckin deal. He made some NFL level throws on one of those drives. I haven't seen throws like that on the 40 since... well, never.

* kicking game is gonna cost us a game or two this year

* Card is exactly who I thought he was last year: Hasn't caught up to the speed of the game, and it'll take years, if ever, for him to do so

* Bijan is a cheat code and our RB room is the definition of an embarrassment of riches

* who the fuck is Sanders. he's amazing

* OL is vastly improved with a bunch of freshmen

* Defense ain't great but it definitely sucks less. ULM didn't give our defense many breaks; I remember in previous years bad teams like this would do things like the qb missing a wide open wr; none of that bullshit tonight

* good God Ethan Burke cover up your belly that's just gross looking

I posted a week or two ago he’d make people remember JMike. I was ridiculed. I’m clearly not over it. 

I’ve followed this kid for awhile. I still don’t totally believe his 250-lb stat, but he’s definitely added weight. He has fantastic NFL potential. Need to see more. 

Man I thought I was cynical.  I’m sure the day will come when Quinn deserves some criticism but what were some of you expecting from his very first real action since his junior year of high school?  

“Not ready for Bama., etc…” Who the fuck would be with that level of experience? 

Edited by Your Mom
  • Hook 'Em 7

4 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I mean... there should be no surprises.

We are who I thought we were. Extremely talented, terribly young, and still looking for a great pass rusher.

I don’t think Sorrell is a “great” one, but he looked like he could rack up 7-8 sacks across the course of the season against some sub-par OL’s in the conference. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Concerns:

The kicking game is a mess.  
Ovie still cannot/will not set an edge. 
Jamison still plays too soft in coverage.   
Quinn was not accurate on deep throws.  
RG is a problem.  

Optimistic about

Banks looked as good as advertised. 
We have have added some athletes that look like what you see on top teams:  Watts, Guilbeau, Bledsoe, Tapp..  
Sorrell, Ford, Cain, Sanders all improved a bunch.  
They’ve optimized the use of Overshown’s skill set.  Thank you.  
Ewers was accurate on the intermediate and underneath stuff.  Good touch.  
The defense looks improved overall.  Not by a large amount, but improved.   

• Hook 'Em 5

4 hours ago, RabidM said:

Or rice last year? That’s the level ULM is at.

I thought offensive line flashed at points but still showed its inexperience. They’re in for a rough week. That said, I’m bullish they can be better than last years shit show.

Defensive line showed it’s more talented than ULM, but not very good overall. Outside of a few plays (Sorrell helps), they struggled to get a push against the pass. Better teams will have too much time to throw.

Ewers made many freshman mistakes. He needed more reps. He’s a risk taker which will result in some great plays (threading the needle in double coverage early third quarter, improvising that flip pass to sanders on his rollout) and some not so great plays (first two attempts). He throws a beautiful ball. I wish he could have connected on the deep balls to build confidence.

wtf card. Scared to death of a Ewers injury now.

It was nice to see some guys really show up - Sanders, Overshown in particular. The latter seems to be closer to what we hoped he would be last year.

Tackling seemed better, but I’m not sure how much of that was competition vs improvement. They tackled well vs. Rice too.

It looks like the early line is Bama -17. I’d take Bama and the points without a second thought. 

6 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

These stats are taken so out of context it's hilarious. 

1) A good chunk of ULM's yards occurred at the end of the game when Texas was playing 4th stringers/walk ons. 

2) The Texas offense didn't gain 400 yards because the starters played 2.5 quarters. 

Texas had around 200 yards at halftime - what is your excuse for that?  I wouldn’t trust this offense to find much success against good defenses  

I agree the defense did play fairly well overall, but with how bad that unit was last season I’m not going to be skeptical until they show some effectiveness against an offense. that’s worth a shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Slacks said:

OkSo... I don't have LHN and I was out with some UT brothers and wives, so I did not see the game. I will, but for now I want an overview from those of you who can see what's good and what needs work.

It seems like the game was so out of hand that there wasn't much work, which I don't like, but I'm ok with saving dudes and playbook to get ready for next week.

So, what looked good and what didn't?

Looked very vanilla on both sides of the ball. Tons of young guys played. Wish we had fewer penalties(5 total). 

1 minute ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Dear god we still hand wringing on this huh. We all knew this was a 7-5 8-4 season.  Due to youth and talent.  I just wanted to see us dominate someone who we should dominate and if the starters stayed in we we’re gonna put up 65 plus easily.  We were never going to compete against Bama. Just physical development alone. Our guys look like freshman year even our giants  you guys bitching and complaining are the ones thinking we had 10 wins in us lol 

I think seven wins is a good barometer for the minimum level of acceptable success for the season with neutral luck/injuries.  Eight wins would be great. 

My concern for next week isn’t getting beat by bama it’s getting beat then limping in and losing to utsa the following week and the wheels come off again. I want to see the team improve week to week and that sark is the guy to do that, young roster or not we should get better every game. That’s development. Last night was good to see.

• Hook 'Em 5

To me, the team looks improved. Like 7-5, 8-4. Which is better that 5-7,6-6. Ewers was okay. His arm talent is evident was surprised to not see the deep balls connect. But it’s his first game in years. It’ll come together. Looks way better than card. His short throws were good. He’s better than Casey lol. He scans the field. Defense looks improved. I know this wasn’t a good ULM team but we’ve seen shitty teams run and throw all over us before that didn’t happen last night. Punting and kicking will def cost us. Alabama will win by a lot. Let’s see how they do against UTSA.

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

Texas had around 200 yards at halftime - what is your excuse for that?  I wouldn’t trust this offense to find much success against good defenses  

I agree the defense did play fairly well overall, but with how bad that unit was last season I’m not going to be skeptical until they show some effectiveness against an offense. that’s worth a shit. 

Excuse? Did you watch last year? We started a freshman QB in his very first game and that 200yd half was on a better pace than the majority all our games last season running a completely vanilla game plan.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I was at the game and I have two observations that I was impressed with.

1. The game plan was pretty vanilla, it was meant to be that way not to show our hand to bama. This game was a demonstration of our athletes superior athletic ability and the game was never in doubt. This game was just our guys against theirs no special formations or plays.
2. We have real speed on defense. Teams will have to run it down the middle on us, almost every stretch play or run to the outside was dropped for a loss.

I was disappointed in the lack of connection between Quinn and Worthy. He has a connection with JT and possibly even one with Casey Cain. I would like to see better timing with Worthy or else this season will have another highlight reel of plays where he is consistently missed. I saw 2-3 deep balls that in person weren’t that close. We also cannot afford to lose Overshown for any period of time, he is the glue to the defense this year.

Overall a very nice game on all 3 phases, but the talent level isn’t that deep. I keep telling myself that we don’t have a chance against bama to set my expectations low and hope for a surprise good game, but I don’t feel good about next week. Let’s hope the game plan next week is extraordinary, we will need it to be. Hook ‘em

• Hook 'Em 2

I would have let Ewers play out the entire third qtr to get him a couple of more drives under his belt. 

I liked the win overall and agree with Sark’s assessment in his post game that it’s a good spot to be in where you got win but there’s plenty to correct. 

Next week will be a hell of a measuring stick but doesn’t mean shut for season in terms of winning Big 12. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

Concerns:

The kicking game is a mess.  
Ovie still cannot/will not set an edge. 
Jamison still plays too soft in coverage.   
Quinn was not accurate on deep throws.  
RG is a problem.  

Optimistic about

Banks looked as good as advertised. 
We have have added some athletes that look like what you see on top teams:  Watts, Guilbeau, Bledsoe, Tapp..  
Sorrell, Ford, Cain, Sanders all improved a bunch.  
They’ve optimized the use of Overshown’s skill set.  Thank you.  
Ewers was accurate on the intermediate and underneath stuff.  Good touch.  
The defense looks improved overall.  Not by a large amount, but improved.   

You and I watched different games. Ovie set the edge well from what I could tell. The very first Monroe possession Ovie drove the tackle back and caused a TFL on a running play. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Wa at the game. 

Overshown had a monster game. D is improved but still gives up easy completions on 3rd and long.

Banks played well for a true freshman. Got bulll rushed which almost got Ewers sacked. 

Ewers was LATE on most of his throws, especially to Worthy. On the int, he had Whittington open in the middle. On a deep ball that he overthrew to X, he had Cain wide open running up the sideline. On the missed end zone throw to X, he waited way too long to throw the ball. This is shit Card was doing last year and he still hasn't learned. Can Ewers learn?

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I would have let Ewers play out the entire third qtr to get him a couple of more drives under his belt. 

I liked the win overall and agree with Sark’s assessment in his post game that it’s a good spot to be in where you got win but there’s plenty to correct. 

Next week will be a hell of a measuring stick but doesn’t mean shut for season in terms of winning Big 12. 

This season hinges on Ewers staying healthy. In a blowout against a shit opponent in game 1, I was fine with sitting him. If he got hurt, we’d be relying on Card and headed to a 4-8 season. 

Ewers needs the reps but keeping him upright and healthy is more important. The backup option is *shudders*

• Hook 'Em 3