Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Tell me you don’t know Murphy’s skillset without telling me you don’t know Murphy’s skillset

Can’t be worse than our current QB’s run skillset.  Tell me you’re naive to his inability to run side to side w/o tripping over himself , without telling me such?

he lays an egg vs Bama and MM plays a lot in the coming weeks. 

Edited by jdhorn92
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, D_Goose said:

Re: the prospect of potentially benching QE in a game for performance issues… I’m not holding my breath. Anyone with two eyes and a pulse could see we would’ve likely won those Tech and Ok St games last year if he’d been benched for Card. We were joking Card must’ve fucked his wife or something. It was incomprehensible leaving him out there.

Not sure I agree with your police work there Lou.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

Yall need to chill out on the MM bs. He was repeatedly losing his job to a true freshman leading into the season. QE will be fine and get picked in thr first 3 rounds after the season. 4 TDs and no picks is a much better game than his 2 Tds and a pick last year. He'll show up big next week and somebody will bitch that he missed 1 deep ball and that MM needs to start. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

5) I wonder how the direction of the game changes if he doesn’t slip on that 3rd down scramble on the first possession of the game (get grass in DKR). Would have been an easy first down and probably much more. We score on that drive and the floodgates open much earlier and we are up 24-3 at half or some such.

This was a weird play.  I don't know why he felt he needed to have that big cut where he slipped.  He could easily have just kept on his route to the sideline and made the first down.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

On a positive note, Quinn did have a couple good runs including a TD

yes he did.  and on a couple of 3rd downs to bail out Sark/himself.  Its hard to know if he missed open receivers or the play design sucked.

this is why you need a mobile QB.  when they rush 4 and drop 7 hard you have to be able to take the yardage consistently.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Yall need to chill out on the MM bs. He was repeatedly losing his job to a true freshman leading into the season. QE will be fine and get picked in thr first 3 rounds after the season. 4 TDs and no picks is a much better game than his 2 Tds and a pick last year. He'll show up big next week and somebody will bitch that he missed 1 deep ball and that MM needs to start. 

This is just ignoring the very real problems that QE has. MM might not be the answer but if Quinn can’t play significantly better than we need to be looking elsewhere at some point 

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This was a weird play.  I don't know why he felt he needed to have that big cut where he slipped.  He could easily have just kept on his route to the sideline and made the first down.

sark told him to he more assertive in the QB run game.  I just don’t believe he’s a plus+ athelete.  Colt, VY , Sam , even Card all had that and I’m afraid it’s just a weak part of his game. 

Edited by jdhorn92
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, HuntinHorn said:

If Murphy is to be our eventual savior, he’s going to have to get that catching snaps thing down first.

Yes.  However, he should play.  I remember the Vince comparisons when he was recruited.  Incredible physical specimen.  I'd love to see him in the open field.  Obviously,  he can pass. Looked like darts yesterday.  If neyhor catches that high pass,  from my seat it looked like possibly 6.  Not high on Ewers. He shits the bed next week,  start Murphy against Wyoming.  

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

This is just ignoring the very real problems that QE has. MM might not be the answer but if Quinn can’t play significantly better than we need to be looking elsewhere at some point 

You're over-reacting and personifying the cliche of loving the back-up.

QE was rusty and/or nervous and then settled down for a nice game. 

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I don’t think I can draw any conclusion from the passing game of this offense from the game yesterday due to running the most basic of concepts and not challenging the rice secondary with more complex stuff. I think the biggest negative was not being able to have our way in short yardage with their DL 

I’ve been hearing that since Lynn Amedee was calling plays 

At his best, he’s one of those most accurate short to intermediate passers you’ll find. He uses multiple arm angles and has a quick release. He is terrible at throwing deep, and is now just trying to create 50/50 balls when guys have 5-7 yards of separation. His ability to stand in a pocket and make multiple reads looked highly suspect. Texas can have a good offense with him at QB, but the oline must figure it’s shit out. They must be able to move people in the run game. They actually seemed to do that yesterday better than trying to reach people. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

This.  The only reason we are eve discussing MM playing(he has a serious arm on him, no he is not VY or even David Ash for that matter) is because QE can't get to his second read and can't hit receivers that have 2 steps on DB's deep.  It is that simple.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

You seem to have a real in depth knowledge of the QB room.

You must me some big cigar. All I know is what I see, have seen over a dozen games and he isn’t the guy. Enlighten us on what you have seen behind the scenes indicating MM athletic deficiencies. 

Edited by jdhorn92

Ewers played his C-game and he still threw for 260 yards with 4 total TD’s and scored 37 points in 3 quarters. That speaks largely to the other skill talent on the offense obviously

As long as he is limiting turnovers, he ain’t going anywhere and people need to accept that.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 4

Just now, mwaadeeb said:

You're over-reacting and personifying the cliche of loving the back-up.

QE was rusty and/or nervous and then settled down for a nice game. 

I’ve literally talked in this thread about the issues Maalik still has.
Quinn lost us games by himself last season. He looks to have not improved in any meaningful way in the offseason and still can’t hit the deep ball that is such a large part of Sark’s offense. Why the fuck would QB1 be rusty for game 1 of the season against a cupcake? It’s not like they haven’t been practicing.
Quinn didn’t settle down so much as we changed out playcalling dramatically. We turned to the quick passing game and putting the ball in athletes hands to make plays. 
He has to be better or we won’t be very good. And if he isn’t better, there is no reason to continue doing the same thing we did last year.

5 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

Yes.  However, he should play.  I remember the Vince comparisons when he was recruited.  Incredible physical specimen.  I'd love to see him in the open field.  Obviously,  he can pass. Looked like darts yesterday.  If neyhor catches that high pass,  from my seat it looked like possibly 6.  Not high on Ewers. He shits the bed next week,  start Murphy against Wyoming.  

nana changing GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Holy crap. The Vince Young and Maalik Murphy comparison ends the moment you get past the color of their skin.

There are zero similarities.

They are about the same height and MM is a bit heavier but that is it.  MM has a stronger arm.  He's one of the least mobile QB's we've had but I bet he'd be a bear to take down once he got going.

4 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

You must me some big cigar. All I know is what I see, have seen over a dozen games and he isn’t the guy. Enlighten us on what you have seen behind the scenes indicating MM athletic deficiencies 

I’ve watched him play. Crazy how you can do that these days. For fucks sake dude 

1 minute ago, mwaadeeb said:

uh...

lol no

Game 1 is vanilla sets and packages. It’s generally our base offense. It’s pitch and catch. Your QB1 should be able to execute offense in game 1 against a cupcake.

Seriously? Did you watch the 3rd quarter of the game? The play calling was dramatically different 

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 1

It has to drive Sark nuts.  He has to call the perfect play and hope the D doesn't scheme the first option away or the check down makes something out of nothing.

we are gonna find out because I think Saban will take away Worthy.  Rice didn't have the ability to do that.

2 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I hope this is true. But if this is true, why the fuck is he bringing his C game to start the year with bama next week?

that is a problem in and of itself

It’s football man. Will be days when things just aren’t happening for one reason or another. How much better would we all feel if that scramble throw to Sanders in the endzone doesn’t get knocked out by his own teammate? 

Game of inches and stuff changes week to week.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

In the middle of watching the replay now after being there live yesterday.

1) Not sure where that ‘no completions on passes that traveled more than 15 yards in the air’ stat comes from. There were several in the 3rd quarter alone. One to Worthy and one to Whittington.

2) There was PI on at least two of the deep shots. The one to Mitchell was atrocious mechanics as we all noted real time. There was a free rusher that had broken through and Ewers rushed everything in that play. 

3) His earlier deep shots looked better mechanics wise but once the OL kept leaking it seemed to get in his head

4) I thought he moved a little better in the pocket compared to last year but still self sacked at least once when he unnecessarily stepped into the front of the pocket and into the waiting arms of an engaged DL.

5) I wonder how the direction of the game changes if he doesn’t slip on that 3rd down scramble on the first possession of the game (get grass in DKR). Would have been an easy first down and probably much more. We score on that drive and the floodgates open much earlier and we are up 24-3 at half or some such.

6) This is a random observation that’d I’d have to dig in deeper to fully verify, but it seems we take the majority of our deep shots out of the pistol on play action where Ewers is turning his back for a brief moment to the defense and seems anxious to whip his head back around and see if the picture has changed. Wonder if we should be running these play action shots out of the traditional shotgun more where his shoulder and body stay more square.

Like I said yesterday, you can’t just abandon these deep throws because you have to mix them in to keep defenses honest and keep other aspects of the offense open. We could have screened and quick game’d Rice to 50 points yesterday without throwing downfield at all if we wanted but obviously you can’t get away with that against better defenses.

425 yards and 37 points in 3 quarters never felt more meh. One of those field goals turn into a TD in the first half and the box score looks much prettier.

Appreciate the rewatch summary and analysis. I’ll just note on the deep ball PI’s that had Quinn put the ball where the WR could catch it in stride there wouldn’t be an opportunity for the DB to interfere. That’s my primary concern with Quinn if we insist on running Sark’s preferred attack plan - teams are just going to dare us to throw deep  and we’ll keep wasting plays doing so. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

I hope this is true. But if this is true, why the fuck is he bringing his C game to start the year with bama next week?

that is a problem in and of itself

I hate the stupid A game/C game thing(Thanks Tiger).  What we saw against Rice was exactly what we saw the last half of the year from Ewers except the opponent was completely outmanned.

to be fair to Ewers I'm more concerned our OL couldn't dominate Rice.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

It’s football man. Will be days when things just aren’t happening for one reason or another. How much better would we all feel if that scramble throw to Sanders in the endzone doesn’t get knocked out by his own teammate? 

Game of inches and stuff changes week to week.

DBs helmet knocked it away not JWhitt

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, 6th Street said:

I liked those brilliant 4th down plays by Sark. One was a goofy pass play that landed at Sanders' feet and the other one was a run up the middle that got blown up immediately. 

If Quinn didn’t panic and hit sanders in the chest that was a 1st down. 

and if Mitchell didn’t completely whiff on his block and let his man blow up the play then maybe we don’t get stopped there.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

I certainly don’t think Quinn is as bad or would play as bad as JT Daniels lol. I get the hyperbole but that’s an insane take to actually defend.

There’s a reason why he is ending his career at Rice.

Yes, some people are taking it literal.  My point was that our projected 1st round golden arm QB couldn’t complete a pass over 12 yards against the vaunted Rice defense and didn’t even look head and shoulders better than a dude that has transferred 3 times.  The point I’m making is that Quinn is extremely over rated.  I just don’t see “it”.   I hope I’m wrong bc I’m tired of watching our Longhorns displaying mediocrity.  I know it’s game 1.  He can improve.  I just don’t see it.  He missed a wide open AD Mitchell that had his guy beat by 5 year yards bc Quinn couldn’t set his feet and step into his throw.  Maybe it was the heat… who knows.  But these are the same issues we saw last year.

Edited by victory88
  • Hook 'Em 7

6 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Appreciate the rewatch summary and analysis. I’ll just note on the deep ball PI’s that had Quinn put the ball where the WR could catch it in stride there wouldn’t be an opportunity for the DB to interfere. That’s my primary concern with Quinn if we insist on running Sark’s preferred attack plan - teams are just going to dare us to throw deep  and we’ll keep wasting plays doing so. 

Our WRs had to stop, turn around, and come back to the ball to even have a chance at it. Of course there’s gonna be PI. How fucking hard is it for a 5-star to throw it to a receiver in stride beyond the sticks? 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Thanks Mr. Ewers.  we aren't bitching about 1 missed ball. we are bitching about only making 1 of 10.  

Oh and MM was the first QB off the bench so apparently he wasn't repeatedly losing his job to Manning.  you must believe 9.95er practice "reports".

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, D_Goose said:

Re: the prospect of potentially benching QE in a game for performance issues… I’m not holding my breath. Anyone with two eyes and a pulse could see we would’ve likely won those Tech and Ok St games last year if he’d been benched for Card. We were joking Card must’ve fucked his wife or something. It was incomprehensible leaving him out there.

Uhhhh.....

5 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

Murphy isn't going to start no matter how bad Quinn is, unless Quinn gets hurt. So quit getting your hopes up.

Ok. But what about meaningful snaps in a competitive game.  Also,  folks are saying Murphy is a pure pocket passer.  Does that mean he can't run? If I were a DB, I'd rather have ewers coming at me than Murphy.  Honestly I don't think he has played enough to see. James brown was supposedly a terrible practice player.  

• Fuck You 1

22 minutes ago, 46andtoo said:

At his best, he’s one of those most accurate short to intermediate passers you’ll find. He uses multiple arm angles and has a quick release. He is terrible at throwing deep, and is now just trying to create 50/50 balls when guys have 5-7 yards of separation. His ability to stand in a pocket and make multiple reads looked highly suspect. Texas can have a good offense with him at QB, but the oline must figure it’s shit out. They must be able to move people in the run game. They actually seemed to do that yesterday better than trying to reach people. 

This is why I don't get the first-round grades from so many, despite him not having cleaned up some very important parts of playing the QB position. The angles and release and all that is great, but that's not nearly important as being able to read a defense and get to the 2nd or 3rd read, pocket presence, timing, etc. Not to mention the deep ball, that's a huge red flag for an NFL QB. 

And I feel like a lot of our fans are pushing him out the door to start the Arch train, but what if he doesn't get a first-round grade? Does he go higher than Caleb Williams (lol), Drake Maye? What about Penix from Wa. If he's looking at a 2nd or 3rd round grade why isn't he coming back next year? 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Our WRs had to stop, turn around, and come back to the ball to even have a chance at it. Of course there’s gonna be PI. How fucking hard is it for a 5-star to throw it to a receiver in stride beyond the sticks? 

His timing was pretty bad even on completed passes. I think of JWhitts big gain across the middle, he had to wait for the ball, there was one or two that way to x also

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet