Mass stabbings in Canadia

HiggyBaby

Surprised there is not a thread on this

A manhunt was underway across three Canadian provinces and the toll of wounded rose to 18 Monday after a stabbing rampage that left 10 people dead in one of the bloodiest mass killings in Canadian history.

The attacks early Sunday took place in at least 13 locations in and around the James Smith Cree Nation in Saskatchewan, a sprawling province nearly the size of Texas. Authorities said there could be additional victims.

The suspects, identified as Damien Sanderson, 31, and Myles Sanderson, 30, were seen later Sunday driving a black Nissan Rogue in Regina, 200 miles south of where the attacks happened. Regina is about 100 miles north of the Montana border, and U.S. border officials had been notified.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2022/09/05/manhunt-canada-stabbing-rampage/7995796001/

Yeah, if you can evade capture from 13 different locations, I hate to sound cold---but you can certainly stab 18 people.  The number injured is sad, but that's not the story...neither is the "see, lots of dangerous weapons out there...can't stop evil in the world...don't even try."  The real head-scratcher is there are plenty of vast, uninhabited  spaces in that part of Canada where one can easily hide from law enforcement.  But you still gotta go to where the people are, in order...to you know..stab them.  And between the handful of larger "cities" up there is a network of small communities that makes the "know your neighbor" mantra of rural Texas look like an anonymous dating app. 

That one town can't figure out where these guys are heading next and alert those people/law enforcement is beyond puzzling having spent so much time in Northern Canada where they knew we were coming to fish before we got over the 3rd ridge afar.  They're not just taking the woods and popping out under cover of night in some random hunting lodge.  These guys are pulling a hit 'n run job in towns that should see 'em coming and certainly see where they're headed.  

I dunno, this is a fuckup of strange proportions for Canada.  That one brother is still on the run is just beyond the pale.  Nevermind motive and victim selection.  Moving between Regina and Winnipeg is like moving between say Lubbock and Amarillo (not the weather or topography).  Both stocked with provincial police, local LEOs, RCMP, et. al.  That ain't the problem, you get caught there.  It's the smash and stab jobs in between that baffle the local PD and none of the locals know anything about it until it was all over, like because of their over-dependence of "Well, ole' Robert will see 'em coming out of the woodwork and he's a good guy with a gun."  Canada, particularly the Prairie Provinces are filled, fucking filled to the teeth with good guys with guns.  It makes Texas look like an unarmed cuck fest.  This is a bizarre failure of communication, which is ten-fold dangerous considering we're in an age where yes...even lower Canada has phones 'n shit.  But you'd think in this day and age, nobody with that kinda rudimentary weapon cache could inflict that kinda damage given that the M.O. was drive into village, stop, park, get out, find target, stab, find other target, stab, start car, head down road 50mi to next village, do same for multiple days?  Yeah one brother is dead, but fucking-a that took awhile.  

I'm guessing it may end up have something to do with the nature of their targets and slow response and complete lack of coordination in their LEO apparatus.  Sounds awfully fucking familiar.  Only so many fucking goddamn sites of violence.  The map'll end up shaping into a middle finger.

2 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

When are we going to have reasonable knife control?

You need a map of Canada, a grasp of numbers when it comes to crime scenes, and 37 more IQ points.  If they could pull this off with two dudes, a Nissan, and a knife...............you wouldn't sleep tonight if they had another type of weapons system.  This isn't a discussion of weapon control, this is an altogether different animal based on square KM covered, failure of LEO coordination, and how the places and people they targeted fell into this pit of skipped-over'd-ness.  This'll end up being their Uvalde in terms of what tacitly appears to be coordinated intentional-failure only not because of the weapon in the killer's hands.  But how they traversed this much ground, causing this much violence in a place where you can't take a shit or catch a muskie without everybody in the village knowing about it.  

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, if you can evade capture from 13 different locations, I hate to sound cold---but you can certainly stab 18 people.  The number injured is sad, but that's not the story...neither is the "see, lots of dangerous weapons out there...can't stop evil in the world...don't even try."  The real head-scratcher is there are plenty of vast, uninhabited  spaces in that part of Canada where one can easily hide from law enforcement.  But you still gotta go to where the people are, in order...to you know..stab them.  And between the handful of larger "cities" up there is a network of small communities that makes the "know your neighbor" mantra of rural Texas look like an anonymous dating app. 

That one town can't figure out where these guys are heading next and alert those people/law enforcement is beyond puzzling having spent so much time in Northern Canada where they knew we were coming to fish before we got over the 3rd ridge afar.  They're not just taking the woods and popping out under cover of night in some random hunting lodge.  These guys are pulling a hit 'n run job in towns that should see 'em coming and certainly see where they're headed.  

I dunno, this is a fuckup of strange proportions for Canada.  That one brother is still on the run is just beyond the pale.  Nevermind motive and victim selection.  Moving between Regina and Winnipeg is like moving between say Lubbock and Amarillo (not the weather or topography).  Both stocked with provincial police, local LEOs, RCMP, et. al.  That ain't the problem, you get caught there.  It's the smash and stab jobs in between that baffle the local PD and none of the locals know anything about it until it was all over, like because of their over-dependence of "Well, ole' Robert will see 'em coming out of the woodwork and he's a good guy with a gun."  Canada, particularly the Prairie Provinces are filled, fucking filled to the teeth with good guys with guns.  It makes Texas look like an unarmed cuck fest.  This is a bizarre failure of communication, which is ten-fold dangerous considering we're in an age where yes...even lower Canada has phones 'n shit.  But you'd think in this day and age, nobody with that kinda rudimentary weapon cache could inflict that kinda damage given that the M.O. was drive into village, stop, park, get out, find target, stab, find other target, stab, start car, head down road 50mi to next village, do same for multiple days?  Yeah one brother is dead, but fucking-a that took awhile.  

I'm guessing it may end up have something to do with the nature of their targets and slow response and complete lack of coordination in their LEO apparatus.  Sounds awfully fucking familiar.  Only so many fucking goddamn sites of violence.  The map'll end up shaping into a middle finger.

841D5241-8BBF-45DB-97D3-6C98F78836E9.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Good, don't give a shit.  Listen to the usual moronic Texas narrative...we're doing a bangup job preventing mass murder here...train kept a-rollin'.

Time it took you to find that .gif, you could have done legit news reading from proper outlets.  

• Fuck You 1

YGIFS touched on this, but a big part of the problem is that the killers and many of their victims are First Nations folks.  Their own community members have come forward discussing how drugs played a role in all of this, and how drugs and alcohol are a huge problem in their community, which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.  I think these factors have left the Canadian press and the Canadian Government a bit squishy-brained in their response, as it opens up the discussion as to the underlying cause in a way that makes many Canadians squirm. 

Canada has been on a heavy hitting campaign for a few years now trying to formally apologize and make amends for the treatment of native people in Canada, but it has largely come in the form of window dressing (e.g. First Nations night on Hockey Night in Canada), as these things so often do.  It will be interesting to see if this terrible incident leads to any meaningful action.  But these underlying issues are also stymying the discussion to a degree, as no one wants to bring up the elephant in the room.  

Edited by Samson's Wig
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

You need a map of Canada, a grasp of numbers when it comes to crime scenes, and 37 more IQ points.  If they could pull this off with two dudes, a Nissan, and a knife...............you wouldn't sleep tonight if they had another type of weapons system.  This isn't a discussion of weapon control, this is an altogether different animal based on square KM covered, failure of LEO coordination, and how the places and people they targeted fell into this pit of skipped-over'd-ness.  This'll end up being their Uvalde in terms of what tacitly appears to be coordinated intentional-failure only not because of the weapon in the killer's hands.  But how they traversed this much ground, causing this much violence in a place where you can't take a shit or catch a muskie without everybody in the village knowing about it.  

So no more cars, and knives. Seems like an easy fix to stop that many deaths. 

• Fuck You 2

8 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I would suggest you read a book on Randian Utilitarianism.  

Water kills more humans than cars, knives, and guns combines.  So we should outlaw water, right?  Your outstanding logic, not mine.  

Not mine, I don't villainize people for a few, or tools for those few who mistreat it. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Good, don't give a shit.  Listen to the usual moronic Texas narrative...we're doing a bangup job preventing mass murder here...train kept a-rollin'.

Time it took you to find that .gif, you could have done legit news reading from proper outlets.  

Calm down, Nancy.  The comment was aimed at the length of your post.  

• Like 2

Your mom had no issue with the length.  

Anyway, this thing is just bizarre from a geography/tight-knit community/nature of the victims/and misscommunication on the LEo side.  Like Uvalde, this'll take them a long time to unpack and will only get uglier.  Crazy that this is a nationwide pause for them.  For us, it'd be Labor Day BBQ gone awry.  

37 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Your mom had no issue with the length.  

Anyway, this thing is just bizarre from a geography/tight-knit community/nature of the victims/and misscommunication on the LEo side.  Like Uvalde, this'll take them a long time to unpack and will only get uglier.  Crazy that this is a nationwide pause for them.  For us, it'd be Labor Day BBQ gone awry.  

Who Are You Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 1

It was intended to be illustrative of geography, community awareness, and armed citizenry differences/parallels for the fucking vast tranches of Texas morons that don't understand fuck all beyond their borders, not this esteemed panel.  Rather those that think Texas & Canadia are so different when they are not, and here we are. 

And it's not stabby drunk Eskimo.  It's indigenously over-served shivers.  

Edited by YGIFS

Into Bolivar you mean?  That's the name of the country, Simone Bolivia was the liberator. 

Just like the name of the thread is named after the nation of Canadia, home the the Arcadian Cajuns.  Like I said numerous times, this ain't about weapons...it's about geography and the lack of our knowledge of how it's crazy they could dash and dart and cause havoc in Mantuba.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, workswithseed said:

What should we do about the knife crime? We could look at Britain and drag in their stats. It's fewer would be your only answer, but if I say one is too many, all you could say is that we can't stop all crimes. 

"We" shouldn't do nothing. If you want to discuss Canadian policies on knife control, car control, or gun control, go find a Saskatchewan Roughriders message board and argue your your points on their version of the CR.

Right now, it looks like one of the brothers may have killed the other while on the lam.

That's a far more interesting and relevant topic to discuss rather than trying to derail this thread:

One of the two suspects in the mass killings, Damien Sanderson, was found dead on Monday in a grassy area near a house being investigated as part of the attacks on the Cree Nation reserve, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police said. They said his injuries did not appear to be self-inflicted.

The police said a manhunt was still underway for his brother Myles Sanderson, who may also have been injured and may seek medical attention. They said that Myles Sanderson had a lengthy criminal record, and that the public should be vigilant.

The police said they were investigating how Damien Sanderson had died, including whether his brother had killed him.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/05/world/asia/canada-stabbings-saskatchewan.html

• Hook 'Em 1

You're asking workswithseed to read a NYT full-length article when he didn't even read the fucking USA Today one?  It's like asking him to notice the geography smack-talk while half the thread is still using the word "Canadia" to describe the name of the country in which this is all happening/happened.  Including a fucking guy named after their flag.  

I got a bad feeling one brother didn't like what the other brother was doing to women/children and took extreme measures.  It was probably a classic case of, "we should stop/turn ourselves in/make a deeper run for/I'm wiped" and the other brother wasn't having that wuss-talk.  But based on some intel on some of the victims/witnesses, it may also be an even darker turn as Stabby I didn't like what Stabby II was up to/about to be up to.  How they hit up that many spots is beyond the pale in this day and age, even off the grid in the Prairie Provinces.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

You're asking workswithseed to read a NYT full-length article when he didn't even read the fucking USA Today one?  It's like asking him to notice the geography smack-talk while half the thread is still using the word "Canadia" to describe the name of the country in which this is all happening/happened.  Including a fucking guy named after their flag.  

I got a bad feeling one brother didn't like what the other brother was doing to women/children and took extreme measures.  It was probably a classic case of, "we should stop/turn ourselves in/make a deeper run for/I'm wiped" and the other brother wasn't having that wuss-talk.  But based on some intel on some of the victims/witnesses, it may also be an even darker turn as Stabby I didn't like what Stabby II was up to/about to be up to.  How they hit up that many spots is beyond the pale in this day and age, even off the grid in the Prairie Provinces.

In fairness, I only quoted a grand total of five sentences with a smaller word count than your post that I'm quoting. But, yes, their motives for the spree, along with the logistics on how, and circumstances under which, they pulled off stabbing 28 victims in however many locations would be a more fruitful discussion than fucking "knife control" in Canada as if that's somehow a valid and poignant question.

So despite my long way of pointing out some points of 'fruitful discussion' on logistics, and the idiocy of ignorance of geography by calling the place Canadia by some-with no hint of irony, and the futility of a conversation regarding workswithseeds violence control proposals up in said Canadia...you're still willing to take a stab at it?  

Edited by YGIFS

Years ago, I was up at Lake Kississing way north of Flin Flon in Saskatchewan and the Indian village there had a number of blind adults who would drink shit like gasoline to get drunk. It's a hard life up there. very different from near the US border where life is pretty similar to the US and where most of the population lives

After re-reading the link I posted above from the NYTimes, it looks like there were 28 stabbing victims spread out over 13 locations for an average of about two victims per spot. Also, they mention that the median age of residents in the area is around 60 years old, and the first report of a stabbing was at 5:40am.

So, I can better see how 2 younger guys with only knives could pull this off if determined and efficient. Most people are likely sleeping in on a Sunday morning or not paying attention to the news that early.

TIMELINE

5:40 a.m. Saskatchewan police receive a call reporting a stabbing on the James Smith Cree Nation. In the following minutes, additional stabbings at different locations in the community are reported.

7:12 a.m. The police issue a "dangerous persons alert," informing residents of the James Smith Cree Nation and surrounding communities of the stabbings and asking the public to seek shelter.

7:57 a.m. The alert is updated with the suspects' names, descriptions, and pictures. The suspects are identified as Damien Sanderson and Miles Sanderson.

8:20 a.m. The dangerous persons alert is extended to the entire province of Saskatchewan after the investigation confirms the suspects are traveling in a vehicle.

9:45 a.m. An updated alert indicates that there are victims in multiple locations, including the village of Weldon, and that some victims may have been attacked randomly.

11:25 a.m. Requests are made to Manitoba and Alberta authorities to extend the alert to those provinces.

12:07 p.m. After reports of the suspects' vehicle being spotted in Regina, a warning is sent out to residents there.

11 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Years ago, I was up at Lake Kississing way north of Flin Flon in Saskatchewan and the Indian village there had a number of blind adults who would drink shit like gasoline to get drunk. It's a hard life up there. very different from near the US border where life is pretty similar to the US and where most of the population lives

Yeah, I don't know much about life on reservations, much less those in Canada, but if I've learned anything from "Reservation Dogs," it's that these places are on the very fringes and aren't policed too well.

We're 36 hours away from the next mass shooting in the United States.  At which time, workswithseed will pivot the usual talking points in a completely different direction.  Instead of responding with "What about Chicago?", the new retort from the usual news outlets will be "What about Saskatchewan?!?!"  Meaning, you can also cause mass harm with knives.  But nobody over there can find Saskatchewan on a map, let alone pronounce/spell the word, or that it's not a state.  But I look forward to lectures on their criminal justice system, attempts at bail reform, etc.  I find Prairie Province law fascinating in Canadia.