Concerts you are attending

bamachine

9 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

Kamasi Washington tonight in San Antonio was incredible. 

IMG_6111.jpeg

IMG_6117.mov

Man, trying to figure out if I can convince my wife.  Looks really good.

As of now...

5/30 - Thievery Corporation

6/4 - Queef Jerky (son's choice - looks confirmed)

7/12 - New Kinds of the Block/Paula Abdul/DJ Jazzy Jeff (wife's present)

7/24 - Struts

9/24 - Goth Babe

W1 ACL

10/30 - DJ Shadow

Still on the fence on a few shows like Sofi Tukker and Cake and I'll definitely go all in on Hot Summer Nights on Red River.  Lots of other local shows sprinkled in.  My buddy is releasing an album at the Continental Club on June 7th.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Man, trying to figure out if I can convince my wife.  Looks really good.

As of now...

5/30 - Thievery Corporation

6/4 - Queef Jerky (son's choice - looks confirmed)

7/12 - New Kinds of the Block/Paula Abdul/DJ Jazzy Jeff (wife's present)

7/24 - Struts

9/24 - Goth Babe

W1 ACL

10/30 - DJ Shadow

Still on the fence on a few shows like Sofi Tukker and Cake and I'll definitely go all in on Hot Summer Nights on Red River.  Lots of other local shows sprinkled in.  My buddy is releasing an album at the Continental Club on June 7th.

Thievery yaasss

4 hours ago, jw4381 said:

Thievery yaasss

I've been listening since the late 90s when that first DJ Kicks compilation came out. Absolutely love everything they put out.  I've seen them live maybe 20 times.  However, it's hard to get over to Emo's. I wish they'd start playing Stubb's again. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Saw Quicksand and Hot Water Music at Mohawk last night. Show was fine. Bands were fine.

But is there a worse venue to see live music in Austin? That place is terrible. The site lines are terrible. The upper level makes no fucking sense. The sound is atrocious and because it's outdoors, they can never get the volume up high enough unless your right in front of the stage. That place is god awful, and every mid-size rock band plays there for some reason. It's so frustrating.

the restroom situation is also terrible...how is there not another restroom outside? there used to be port a shitters on the 2nd floor deck behind the stage but those are long gone. the sound is good if you're on the floor or 1st balcony. floor gets disgustingly hot if it's over 80 degrees outside though. if possible i get there when doors open and secure a spot on the first balcony rail, otherwise you're fucked. 

• Rage+1 1

I've seen a bunch of good shows at Mohawk.  We usually camp on the upper balcony rail in front of the bar, or on the rail to the right side of the audience (stage left).  The sound has never bothered me.  It's not fantastic, but it's good enough.

55 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Saw Quicksand and Hot Water Music at Mohawk last night. Show was fine. Bands were fine.

But is there a worse venue to see live music in Austin? That place is terrible. The site lines are terrible. The upper level makes no fucking sense. The sound is atrocious and because it's outdoors, they can never get the volume up high enough unless your right in front of the stage. That place is god awful, and every mid-size rock band plays there for some reason. It's so frustrating.

Here's a tip: get there earlier

• Hook 'Em 1

Speaking of outdoor venues, I can finally confirm the Just Like Heaven fest lives up to its name. I avoid festivals because of the physical beating, but I figured if I'm gonna be outside for 7ish hours, the golf course at the Rose Bowl in mid-May is a pretty good spot. I also splurged on "Clubhouse" access which allowed us into the golf course clubhouse and had free food and alcohol (good enough selection).

Saw all or part of: Washed Out, Phantogram, Two Door Cinema Club, Passion Pit, Death Cab for Cutie, War on Drugs and Postal Service. They have two stages on far ends of the golf course. At least one sand trap was being used as a real life sand box with kids digging and playing. The sound was better than I expected, I'm amazed what they can do with only like 15 minutes between sets.

Passion Pit was my highlight because I assumed the main guy had hung it up years ago. They've barely played live and no new music in almost 10 years. But he mentioned they want to get out more often in the near future. Two Door Cinema was the act I didn't know much about but will definitely be following now.

Group of friends had an extra ticket to Idles so I'm going to catch the show tomorrow night at Moody Amphitheater.  Admittedly did not know much about Idles but have listening and it looks like it will be an amazing show.

I was just informed by a buddy yesterday that The The is releasing a new album and going on tour this fall.

That’s a band I haven’t thought about in a long time.

Dialed up Infected just to reminisce and I can literally smell the clove cigarettes.
  • Haha 1

Mohawk is my favorite venue. Yeah, the set up is weird but it used to be a goddamn Mexican restaurant. It’s amazing what they’ve built from
some shitty bones. I don’t know of any venue has had as many killer shows as it has.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wife and I are coming down to Austin for the Saturday night Rainbow Kitten Surprise show at ACL Live. Never been there before. Back when tickets went on sale, my wife mistakenly bought the VIP upgrade tickets, which include early entry and some "free" show merch. It's my understanding the entire downstairs is GA Pit/SRO. Our tickets allow us to get in at 6:30 with the chance to "ride the rail." Whatever. RKS probably won't go on until 9-ish at the earliest. That's a long time to be in the venue when we could be drinking cheaper beer around the corner or something. My question is will it be a shit-show in GA Pit if we decide to not go in until a reasonable time. We'd like to have a decent sight lines but not sure I want to go in and stand around 2.5+ hours to be as close to the stage as we possibly can. We're debating selling these tickets and buying seats in the second level.

Any got any advice?

14 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Wife and I are coming down to Austin for the Saturday night Rainbow Kitten Surprise show at ACL Live. Never been there before. Back when tickets went on sale, my wife mistakenly bought the VIP upgrade tickets, which include early entry and some "free" show merch. It's my understanding the entire downstairs is GA Pit/SRO. Our tickets allow us to get in at 6:30 with the chance to "ride the rail." Whatever. RKS probably won't go on until 9-ish at the earliest. That's a long time to be in the venue when we could be drinking cheaper beer around the corner or something. My question is will it be a shit-show in GA Pit if we decide to not go in until a reasonable time. We'd like to have a decent sight lines but not sure I want to go in and stand around 2.5+ hours to be as close to the stage as we possibly can. We're debating selling these tickets and buying seats in the second level.

Any got any advice?

What is a reasonable time and who is the opener?  I mean, the rail is the rail, you know? I saw Psychedelic Furs there two back from the rail and it was pretty kickass being right there so depends on how much you like the band.  You can always have someone hold the spots while the other person takes a leak/buys drinks.  

On an unrelated note, tonight is going to be intense...

https://www.loudhailermagazine.com/concert-reviews/idles-at-hollywood-palladium-in-los-angeles-ca/

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Any got any advice?

There's really not a bad spot on the floor. It's small enough that you'll be fine even if you show up late. Your biggest danger is the talkers that inevitably end up at the back of the floor. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, stc said:

There's really not a bad spot on the floor. It's small enough that you'll be fine even if you show up late. Your biggest danger is the talkers that inevitably end up at the back of the floor. 

Agree and that's not unique to that venue

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Just got artist presale tickets for Soul Asylum + Juliana Hatfield at Mohawk (Oct 17).  $35 with presale code "SHIRLEY" via the Soul Asylum website.

Thanks for the heads-up.  Just got two.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, stc said:

Yeah, I'm not exactly tall and I've always been able to see and hear fine, even from the back of the floor.

We’re going on Thursday so I can try to report back on crowd size at various times. Not sure how early we’ll get there but we tend to go on the earlier side. If it’s a band I really like I’ll get there before doors but this isn’t necessarily one of those

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Just got artist presale tickets for Soul Asylum + Juliana Hatfield at Mohawk (Oct 17).  $35 with presale code "SHIRLEY" via the Soul Asylum website.

Dang, I love Juliana Hatfield but can't stand Soul Asylum.  

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Best concert I ever attended.  CBGB, "Hang Time" tour.  Phenomenal live band.

saw them a while back at moody theater Local H and SA.  great concert.  And the horse they rode in on is a fucking great album.  there really isn't a dud on the whole thing. I wish he'd play more from it.  the last album was pretty good too.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, texasdago said:

I don't know what it is but in my head, Gin Blossoms and Soul Asylum are the same band.  Maybe.  Sometimes. 

Oh, hell no.  Gin Blossoms were milquetoast.  Late 80's Soul Asylum was an absolute monster of a band, the equal of their Minneapolis peers Husker Du and The Replacements.  I should have lived in Minneapolis (and of course throw in Prince).

If you ever wondered where Grand Champeen, The Wannabes, Slobberbone etc. took their cues, it was in good part Soul Asylum. 

1988:

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Cartoon is a great song

SA is coming to dallas to open for stone temple pilots. Not sure I can see STP without Weiland .

I may need to make a trip to austin for the Hatfield / SA show.

Posted (edited)

Houston... Dallas... do yourself a favor.  Go buy tickets for Idles for tonight or tomorrow night.  Amazing show!  I'll see if I can post a video or two later but dude...

image.thumb.png.3bb8fd0ce78f12eab2a2bf485afa413b.png

image.thumb.png.473cf480d997735c9af36e716fbb2f1b.png

Edited by texasdago

On 5/21/2024 at 9:29 AM, C-Man said:

Any got any advice?

We went in at 7:30pm last night and were like 5 rows  of people back from the rail. RKS went on precisely at 9:15pm and that's been when they go on at other shows on this tour. I will tell you that the typical RKS fan (at least 80% of the crowd down there) seems to be no taller than 5'3". 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1