Texas vs. #1 Alabama

Pancho

6 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Just catching up on the second half was on DVR. How was that not intentional grounding in the end zone? Of all the blatantly bullshit calls in that game, I don’t understand how that one gets missed

The pass hit a Texas player in the helmet.  It's a batted ball so impossible to call grounding on that since the ball's trajectory was headed to the line of scrimmage.  It took 5 hours, but the result of the play ended up correct. 

Edited by RabidM
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Bama Llama said:

Just telling the truth. I’ve been here since ‘09. Surly and its predecessors  are the best forum out there. Your team is rising. Be glad. Hate me all you want. I respect Texas football and always have. I won’t be satisfied until we even up the series. P.S. Nobis stuffing Namath in the Orange Bowl is still the most devastating thing I’ve ever seen in sports. Onward and upward.

I have Bama friends and coworkers. Not as bad a group as people (me definitely included) typically label them.

But I will now tell all those bastards that I will always put an asterisk by those 2 Bama wins since you knocked out our starting QB in the first quarter both times. Colt was a freak accident today was illegal.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Just catching up on the second half was on DVR. How was that not intentional grounding in the end zone? Of all the blatantly bullshit calls in that game, I don’t understand how that one gets missed

I'd have to look again, but if it passed the LOS is probably not grounding.

Just now, RabidM said:

The pass hit a Texas player in the helmet.  It's a batted ball so impossible to call grounding on that.  It took 5 hours, but the result of the play ended up correct. 

Yeah that’s what I saw too. Hit Overshown in the helmet. Which makes the original roughing call all the more egregious and inexcusable.

Just now, RabidM said:

The pass hit a Texas player in the helmet.  It's a batted ball so impossible to call grounding on that.  It took 5 hours, but the result of the play ended up correct. 

the only thing they could review was the targeting which took half a second, they were discussing how to explain their stupidity

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RabidM said:

I guess, but he literally just tried to get it out of his hand and the guy that was hitting him was directly in front of him. Still seems like bullshit to me

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, 7KHorn said:

If I was a reporter at Saban presser:

Coach, you obviously must be frustrated with the numerous penalties called against your #1 squad; that said, you must be pleased one of your penalties resulted in injuring the Texas starting QB.  Perfectly executed roughing the passer, am I right?

TRIGGERED!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I guess, but he literally just tried to get it out of his hand and the guy that was hitting him was directly in front of him. Still seems like bullshit to me

The rule is you have to be making an effort to get it to an eligible receiver.  A defender touching the ball is not a magic wand that gets you out of that.  It can be an explanation why the ball didn't get to an eligible receiver, but it's not a cure-all.

• Hook 'Em 3

40 minutes ago, Daichee Bell said:

Take the loss, pussy.

It was a solid game plan on offense and defense , great atmosphere, and there is finally som optimism here. 

Yep. Great fucking game. Gutsy and relentless, disciplined performance by the team. They look really good. Like night and day comparfed to last year. Pumped for the future of this program. 

Hook Em, mfers...

🤘

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

I’d be right there with you on this if not for the fact that Card is also injured.

I'm sorry, the cult of Traylor is what it is, but UTSA isn't a well coached team.  Traylor recruits well and he out athletes marginal teams but they aren't some well disciplined giant killer.  We could hand it off 60 times to our backs and we will run them off the field.

Just now, JBJ said:

The rule is you have to be making an effort to get it to an eligible receiver.  A defender touching the ball is not a magic wand that gets you out of that.  It can be an explanation why the ball didn't get to an eligible receiver, but it's not a cure-all.

these fuckers called targeting when the closest thing to the QB's head was a shoe, it ain't like they would have gotten a grounding call correct even if the ball didn't hit a defender.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I'm confused how I should be feeling right now.

I expected a high scoring game and a relatively close Bama win. I expected to come out of the game feeling pretty stoked about QE and the offense for the rest of the year.

So yeah, I don’t know how to feel either. Kind of the opposite of my expectation I guess. 

Just now, JBJ said:

The team played well. This loss hurts because we looked liked the better team.  I'm happy about both veterans and new players looking better than expected.   Defense went all out.

I'm confused how I should be feeling right now.

They looked like the better team.  But for the most part we had the coaching advantage.   I felt like staying in the two high safety look on their last drive was a mistake.  That deep in route was easy money because our safeties do not find work until it’s too late.  Happened against ULM too.  Has to be cleaned up before big 12.  

6 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

I'm sorry, the cult of Traylor is what it is, but UTSA isn't a well coached team.  Traylor recruits well and he out athletes marginal teams but they aren't some well disciplined giant killer.  We could hand it off 60 times to our backs and we will run them off the field.

Are you telling me a former Charlie Strong assistant coach does not have a well disciplined team?

• Hook 'Em 1

I hate to fucking lose the game but we were supposed to get BLOWN OUT!  The fact the team did not implode emotionally for a rout after Ewers went down shows a much greater mental toughness than in past years.  If you are not ecstatic with the defensive play you must have some sort of prior season memory loss.  The one thing I noted most from the first game was just the physical appearance of out DL.  More fit, less gut.   Just a really, really outstanding game played by the defense.  How they don't end up with a safety called by the referees was frustrating, but the played extremely well.  Almost winning the game on the last blitz gone awry. 
The offensive line was able to go much more head to head than I thought they would.  Still too young to just line up and stuff the ball down folks throats, but much improved over last year and brimming with youth that will add more and more quality depth. Card performed well, especially considering he was hobbled early on in his day.  I think with a little more ability to move each play he would have ended up building more momentum.  But alas that was not to be the case. Hopefully his ankle will be better next week, but time to get #3 and #4 some more reps, as Ewers will be out a few weeks at the minimum.  
It stings to come so close to greatness, but a lot of folks here would have been happy just to not get blown out.  I think from the emotional toughness in a game full of adversity and some calls really not going our way shows this team has emotionally stepped forward.  I think they proved physically they are a lot farther along than many of us had hoped.  It will be very interesting to see what this team looks like at the end of the season!
Hook'em!

It’s weird with me right now. I usually don’t take solace in moral victories, because it just sounds pathetic to me, but after a decade like the 2010s, I’m numb to a lot. I just know that Texas put up a night and day performance when compared to the game against Arkansas. The defense balled out without the support of a potent offense with Card. If Ewers played the entire game, this game wouldn’t have been close. At all. The greatest collegiate coach of all time would have had to watch his top ranked squad get fucked. Hard. It stings a little… just a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

FUUUUUUUUCK. Still fucking pissed about that facemask. Fucking fuck. 

Actually in Vegas and a group of bama dudes just rolled up on me at the blackjack table saying how we got fucked over and how we actually won the game. They played a pretty big bet on my hand and told me to keep the winnings as contrition…the fucking dealer blackjacked so it is just that kind of day. Fuck that ref crew so deep up the ass that I hope they never can never walk well enough to do another game. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Kicking at the end of the first half was definitely the right call. Taking the lead into halftime would have been huge mentally. I was pleasantly surprised our defense kept their edge after the break, though. 
Oh and good on you for coming back after being part of the satya bitch brigade all offseason. 

Kicking there wasn’t unreasonable or egregious or anything. I just think you need to take that chance in Texas’s shoes as a big time dog. I thought that before the miss. So it goes. Very well coached game by Texas overall.

If he truly has an AC separation on his non dominant shoulder you aren't going to reconstruct his AC joint and let him take hits at 6-8 Weeks, won't be healed in time. Again, if its an AC separation on his non dominant arm, im guessing they let the pain and swelling subside for a couple of weeks, and then try and get him through the season before doing anything (if they ever even need to) 

• Hook 'Em 1