Texas vs. #1 Alabama

Pancho

I just don't see how you guys are optimistic following this game.  None of this means shit if Card is our starting QB for the next month.  We will probably beat UTSA if Card starts, but there's no way we beat Tech in Lubbock with Card, or any other Big 12 game (see Kansas last year).  This is just another wasted season of being "close".  Yes, I've been drinking since 7:30 but I'm fucking tired of being "close" or "if the officials would have called _______ we would have won".  Fuck that.  How about we win a fucking game we're not expected to win?

• Fuck You 4

7 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I know that missed FG at the end of the half was a killer, but if you had told me that Bert Auburn would go 3 for 4 on FG in this game, I would have taken it.  Bobby and Rod on the postgame are saying that it was tipped as well.

Yeah looks like Anderson blocked it. Agree with you, Auburn exceeded expectations. That 49-yarder at the end was clutch.

Trejo did ok too. Mostly short but unreturnable punts, one booming one.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Assman said:

I just don't see how you guys are optimistic following this game.  None of this means shit if Card is our starting QB for the next month.  We will probably beat UTSA if Card starts, but there's no way we beat Tech in Lubbock with Card, or any other Big 12 game (see Kansas last year).  This is just another wasted season of being "close".  Yes, I've been drinking since 7:30 but I'm fucking tired of being "close" or "if the officials would have called _______ we would have won".  Fuck that.  How about we win a fucking game we're not expected to win?

Likely because we lost to the number 1 team in the nation by one point, and frankly could have won that game?

But beside that, it’s possible that QE is back in 2-3 weeks until told otherwise.

2 minutes ago, Assman said:

Keep drinking, it will eventually start to look better.  Or completely black.

4 minutes ago, Assman said:

The defense is obviously much better then last year for one.  The offense even with Card at qb when not facing 5 stars all around will break plays between the better oline, Bijan, Roshon, Worthy, ect.  So yea they can still beat tech pretty handily.  

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Hot damn, sure would have liked a win today, but I can honestly say I've never been prouder of those young men and the grit and determination that they showed today.  Even with Ewers going down I believe if Card hadn't gotten hurt we would have still won.

Also, just saw on GameDay Final that is definitely a shoulder injury that sidelined Quinn, has it been released yet as to what type of shoulder injury? Severity? Time-line for return?

Hook 'Em

Sprain. I think Sark said he gets an MRI tomorrow so likely won’t know severity until the coach’s presser on Monday 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m happy and pissed at the same time. Fuck bama for being dirty. That Turner body slam was absolutely meant to hurt Ewers.

That said, three plays we missed may mean we win. Worthy dropped TD. Auburn missed FG. Watts missed sack.

I’m not blaming those players at all as the team played their butts off, but that is one critical mistake in all three phases.

Hook’em and keep coaching them. I’m pleasantly angry and think this can lead to better things in the future.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Assman said:

I’m optimistic because I could suffer a massive brain hemorrhage and still not be as big of a dumbass as you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6
  • Fuck You 1

30 minutes ago, austintiger said:

Lsu fan perspective.  You got hosed and get used to it and doesn't get any better in the SEC you have to beat Alabama and the stripes every f****** game.

Crazy that you came that close with card my God hes terrible is that really the 2nd best quarterback on the team?

Punctuation to LSU fan ratio checks out.

• Drool 1

Tell us you didn’t watch the game without telling us you didn’t watch the game.
  • Fuck You 1

For shits and giggles, I would like to know how things might have gone with a heavy dose of RoJo running a zone-read offense for stretches of the 4th quarter. Sprinkle in some short passes to 0. Run clock, use the actual option on the zone read. 

They should call me next time for a consult on what to do.

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

If we had just used one of the two timeouts we took to the locker room instead of rushing the kick or perhaps given Card a few extra seconds within which he could have spiked the bobbled snap. 

hell, we can do this all day

The kick wasn't rushed. The snap was bad, the hold wasn't right or Bert just shanked it. It wasn't missed because we were hurrying there.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

I can't imagine a scenario in which today didn't greatly greatly improve recruiting. That atmosphere was electric. That fight was inspiring. We won some recruits today.

Had to help. Major eye opener for defensive recruits and the offense looked great until QE got hurt.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I have the feeling and hope that this team has a better mental makeup than last years, and the year before that.

Coming back from this hard and strong, even with Card behind center, will be crucial.

It's really going to come down to this. We have the skills, we have the speed, and we have the coaching. Can a Texas Longhorns football team play as a team and get back up after getting punched in the mouth.

1 minute ago, Foosters said:

It's really going to come down to this. We have the skills, we have the speed, and we have the coaching. Can a Texas Longhorns football team play as a team and get back up after getting punched in the mouth.

That was an elite defensive front. There is nothing close to that talent left on the schedule. We should have a much easier time establishing the run from here on out, and we will need it.

• Hook 'Em 3

I’m here to eat my words. You got me@Wulaw Horn

I called an ass kicking. If you’d have told me that Ewers would get hurt in the first quarter, and Bama would have to kick a game winning goal to win, let alone to hit 20, I’d have confidently bet everything I have against that. Hell of an effort by Texas. Just tip the cap and move on, hard as that may be in the moment.

Only real gripe is that Texas was 0-3 on fourth down calls. Should have gone for it at the end of the first half and the first two second half FGs.

Let’s hope Ewers is okay and they build on this effort. Enjoy the rest of the day and be safe.

7 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

I can't imagine a scenario in which today didn't greatly greatly improve recruiting. That atmosphere was electric. That fight was inspiring. We won some recruits today.

Yessir. Hopefully this helps with Jalen Hale since Young will be gone after this season and Ewers will be back + we got another perfect qb in Manning coming in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Also, just saw on GameDay Final that is definitely a shoulder injury that sidelined Quinn, has it been released yet as to what type of shoulder injury? Severity? Time-line for return?

there's lots of confusion about the type of sprain but i'm tired of chasing all of the threads to keep everyone updated

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I’m here to eat my words. You got me@Wulaw Horn

I called an ass kicking. If you’d have told me that Ewers would get hurt in the first quarter, and Bama would have to kick a game winning goal to win, let alone to hit 20, I’d have confidently bet everything I have against that. Hell of an effort by Texas. Just tip the cap and move on, hard as that may be in the moment.

Only real gripe is that Texas was 0-3 on fourth down calls. Should have gone for it at the end of the first half and the first two second half FGs.

Let’s hope Ewers is okay and they build on this effort. Enjoy the rest of the day and be safe.

Kicking at the end of the first half was definitely the right call. Taking the lead into halftime would have been huge mentally. I was pleasantly surprised our defense kept their edge after the break, though. 

Oh and good on you for coming back after being part of the satya bitch brigade all offseason. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

this sounds like the minor key reprise of "We almost beat #6 Oklahoma, no way we lose to Kansas" from last year. Or "We almost beat #1 LSU, no way we lose to Iowa State" from 2019.

Texas will not be back until we beat the teams we're supposed to beat. Full stop. Lose to UTSA or TTU and we're right back where we started.

I’ll know Texas is back when you no longer can muster the energy to post on Surly.   Truest sign everything is good with the program.   

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Even Bama knows the refs blew the intentional grounding call:

Now that everyone has calmed down- what’s the conspiracy with Alabama and refs?

Posted on 9/10/22 at 3:09 pm
uArw.png7dArw.png11
First off let me state if I were a UT fan I’d feel cheated by the refs today. I still don’t know what tf happened with that safety. 

Second, apologies to A&M fans. I know UT’s performance has y’all super insecure of your future in the conference and your in state rival.  

All that said, this board got super emotional once again today about the refs always cheating for Bama. I’m not even taking a stance on that, that’s not the point of the thread. What I want to know is, WHY? And HOW? Why do the refs cheat for Bama? What’s the conspiracy? I will point out that the talking point here, ALWAYS, has been that Bama paid SEC refs and the only time their games were called fair is when out of conference refs called the game. Well, the Big12 called the game today. So what is the conspiracy? Does Saban pay ALL refs or just the SEC refs? How much do you think he pays to have the games rigged? Does anyone else do this or is it just a Bama thing? 

Any responses to this thread screaming something like “those damn refs cheat for Bammer!!!!” is irrelevant- that’s not what we’re debating. Again, I just want to understand why you think this is happening, and who all is involved. No one ever seems to have the balls to take a stance on the underlying nature of this problem. Anyone? “
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I just don’t see how you’re alive without someone reminding you to breathe. The nation, and likely some recruits in attendance believed Alabama’s 3rd string would be enough to do the job, and Texas neutralized their Nagurski trophy winner the whole game and made their reigning Heisman winner have to dig REAL deep just to escape a supposed unranked team by 1 point. And it took the football God’s keeping their cleats on our neck to enable it all to happen. The football experts, pollsters, and you don’t know shit. Don’t post on here ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

28 minutes ago, Assman said:

Take the loss, pussy.

It was a solid game plan on offense and defense , great atmosphere, and there is finally som optimism here. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1