Texas vs. #1 Alabama

Pancho

I hate to fucking lose the game but we were supposed to get BLOWN OUT!  The fact the team did not implode emotionally for a rout after Ewers went down shows a much greater mental toughness than in past years.  If you are not ecstatic with the defensive play you must have some sort of prior season memory loss.  The one thing I noted most from the first game was just the physical appearance of out DL.  More fit, less gut.   Just a really, really outstanding game played by the defense.  How they don't end up with a safety called by the referees was frustrating, but the played extremely well.  Almost winning the game on the last blitz gone awry. 

The offensive line was able to go much more head to head than I thought they would.  Still too young to just line up and stuff the ball down folks throats, but much improved over last year and brimming with youth that will add more and more quality depth. Card performed well, especially considering he was hobbled early on in his day.  I think with a little more ability to move each play he would have ended up building more momentum.  But alas that was not to be the case. Hopefully his ankle will be better next week, but time to get #3 and #4 some more reps, as Ewers will be out a few weeks at the minimum.  

It stings to come so close to greatness, but a lot of folks here would have been happy just to not get blown out.  I think from the emotional toughness in a game full of adversity and some calls really not going our way shows this team has emotionally stepped forward.  I think they proved physically they are a lot farther along than many of us had hoped.  It will be very interesting to see what this team looks like at the end of the season!

Hook'em!

• Hook 'Em 7

Shout out to the OLINE for play an incredible game today. Basically shut down the top defensive front in college football for 99% of the game. Clearly the Anderson sack in the 4th was a killer but they absolutely held their own. It’s been a long time since we’ve seen that kind of performance out of a Texas team.

• Hook 'Em 7

Best TEXAS HEART, TEXAS FOOTBALL  I have seen in a long time.  Everything against us and still balled out.  Proud of the men, not boys. -10 points officiating. (Just enraging/disgusting when a product and efforts of the good is ruined.)  QB1 out  QB2 injured. Quinn looked like the truth. D/team still fuckin balled out while being screwed by officiating. We wrap that game up if up by 2 scores as we should have been. (4 points JT PI, 2points Intentional grounding, 4 points facemask). Fucking game had so many emotional moments that echoed the past. USC 4 and short. Fucking Qb injury.  But damn it if I ain't proud of the Horns. Fuck moral victories and fuck "buts".  Horns physically and mentally beat that team. Showed out, execution, balls, heart, toughness. Continue with what we showed today and the future is really fucking bright. Young ass fuck, year 2 rebuilding, yet we matched a dynasty.   Prayers to Ewers. Prayers to Ewers. Prayers to Ewers. Fuck.  From the shit of last year to a tackle away from shutting down that O, while being handicapped with field position due to losing qb1. Damn.  Props to Hudson. Yeah he is what he is, obviously doesn't have the pocket presence/physical abilities of Ewers but he showed grit and performed admirably. Might have to continue to do so. Fuuckfuckk. Sky is the limit with Quinn. Perfect for Sark O. Was moving in pocket and flipping to right guys with ease. Can see when he gets in rhythm he'll be unstoppable. Got that quik step movement/ shift and flip with zip and accuracy that few people in the world possess. Gonna be a helluva challenge to even reset for UTSA. We'll find out a lot from this team soon.  Every chip put on the table is still there to be paid out. Prayers to Ewers. FUCK. FUCK. TEXAS Fuckin FIGHT. Wanna kill refs, fuck you and die Lowell. TEXAS FIGHT!  Continue to demand to demand excellence Horns, Win Out. Kill

5 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Bama fan:

Sark is the best playcaller in the game.. yep, I said it.  

He stresses the defense both wide and deep, puts his playmakers all over the place.  

Kiffen is good, Sarks better.

This is what gives me hope.  With just a competent defense, not even the outstanding unit that showed up today, we'll be fine. 

Just now, Bama Llama said:

Saludos Horns

Game plan -Offense TEXAS > BAMA

Game plan - Defense DITTO

In game adjustments DITTO

Control Line of Scrimmage DITTO

Poise DITTO

Attention to play clock DITTO

Maintaing momentum DITTO

DKR vibe 11 on a scale of 10

I’m surprised we won. Good luck Horns from here on out. 

I really want to hate you right now. Take your rep and move along

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

Shout out to the OLINE for play an incredible game today. Basically shut down the top defensive front in college football for 99% of the game. Clearly the Anderson sack in the 4th was a killer but they absolutely held their own. It’s been a long time since we’ve seen that kind of performance out of a Texas team.

For such a young OL starting two freshmen this game showed me a lot. They're just going to get better. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, GeorgetownLaw said:

Was the officiating poor? yes. Did it cost us the game? No.  All those calls against Alabama are what helped keep us close. 

Do you really believe the missed/none calls didn’t matter? Bama earned every penalty. And quite a few that cost us a one pint loss. Watch it again. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, horn4life said:

I hate to fucking lose the game but we were supposed to get BLOWN OUT!  The fact the team did not implode emotionally for a rout after Ewers went down shows a much greater mental toughness than in past years.  If you are not ecstatic with the defensive play you must have some sort of prior season memory loss.  The one thing I noted most from the first game was just the physical appearance of out DL.  More fit, less gut.   Just a really, really outstanding game played by the defense.  How they don't end up with a safety called by the referees was frustrating, but the played extremely well.  Almost winning the game on the last blitz gone awry. 

The offensive line was able to go much more head to head than I thought they would.  Still too young to just line up and stuff the ball down folks throats, but much improved over last year and brimming with youth that will add more and more quality depth. Card performed well, especially considering he was hobbled early on in his day.  I think with a little more ability to move each play he would have ended up building more momentum.  But alas that was not to be the case. Hopefully his ankle will be better next week, but time to get #3 and #4 some more reps, as Ewers will be out a few weeks at the minimum.  

It stings to come so close to greatness, but a lot of folks here would have been happy just to not get blown out.  I think from the emotional toughness in a game full of adversity and some calls really not going our way shows this team has emotionally stepped forward.  I think they proved physically they are a lot farther along than many of us had hoped.  It will be very interesting to see what this team looks like at the end of the season!

Hook'em!

Moral victories usually are just a fans way of coping with a loss. However, I thought a close loss would be more than acceptable, because the loss would only matter in a CFP scenario…… which is a position I felt was unattainable this year. I wanted a good showing in order for respect to be put on our name. 

Now, fully comprehending the way this played out…..you take away that Ewers injury and that CFP scenario is very much in play. Shit sucks, but we have to accept and overcome. We are ahead of schedule. Horns up, baby!!

1 minute ago, cactusflinthead said:

I really want to hate you right now. Take your rep and move along

Just telling the truth. I’ve been here since ‘09. Surly and its predecessors  are the best forum out there. Your team is rising. Be glad. Hate me all you want. I respect Texas football and always have. I won’t be satisfied until we even up the series. P.S. Nobis stuffing Namath in the Orange Bowl is still the most devastating thing I’ve ever seen in sports. Onward and upward.

• Hook 'Em 9

12 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Even Bama knows the refs blew the intentional grounding call:

Now that everyone has calmed down- what’s the conspiracy with Alabama and refs?

Posted on 9/10/22 at 3:09 pm
uArw.png7dArw.png11
First off let me state if I were a UT fan I’d feel cheated by the refs today. I still don’t know what tf happened with that safety. 

Second, apologies to A&M fans. I know UT’s performance has y’all super insecure of your future in the conference and your in state rival.  

All that said, this board got super emotional once again today about the refs always cheating for Bama. I’m not even taking a stance on that, that’s not the point of the thread. What I want to know is, WHY? And HOW? Why do the refs cheat for Bama? What’s the conspiracy? I will point out that the talking point here, ALWAYS, has been that Bama paid SEC refs and the only time their games were called fair is when out of conference refs called the game. Well, the Big12 called the game today. So what is the conspiracy? Does Saban pay ALL refs or just the SEC refs? How much do you think he pays to have the games rigged? Does anyone else do this or is it just a Bama thing? 

Any responses to this thread screaming something like “those damn refs cheat for Bammer!!!!” is irrelevant- that’s not what we’re debating. Again, I just want to understand why you think this is happening, and who all is involved. No one ever seems to have the balls to take a stance on the underlying nature of this problem. Anyone? “

UT is leaving the Big 12.  They have no incentives to help UT in this game.    Also, Big 12 referees have screwed us over in the past in our games at DKR.   Ie. the fumble against Okst. 

9 minutes ago, Bobby Layne said:

Do you really believe the missed/none calls didn’t matter? Bama earned every penalty. And quite a few that cost us a one pint loss. Watch it again. 

Hey guys, the ref called the blatant late hit by Anderson 2 seconds after the play was over and Sanders had already gotten back up so you can't really be upset that they didn't call it when Keilan Robinson's head got twisted by a blatant facemask that would have given us first and goal. 

This is the "logic" these people are using. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

If I was a reporter at Saban presser:

Coach, you obviously must be frustrated with the numerous penalties called against your #1 squad; that said, you must be pleased one of your penalties resulted in injuring the Texas starting QB.  Perfectly executed roughing the passer, am I right?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

We’re gonna have to find some offense somehow.

It hasn't been talked about much but our one big weakness today was the running game. Bijan was getting contact at the LOS every time. Sark's offense works so much better with a running game threat.

21 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

That was an elite defensive front. There is nothing close to that talent left on the schedule. We should have a much easier time establishing the run from here on out, and we will need it.

This is actually good a good point. He didn't have much of a chance with what our passing game turned into once Card got hurt.

Just now, Bama Llama said:

Just telling the truth. I’ve been here since ‘09. Surly and its predecessors  are the best forum out there. Your team is rising. Be glad. Hate me all you want. I respect Texas football and always have. I won’t be satisfied until we even up the series. P.S. Nobis stuffing Namath in the Orange Bowl is still the most devastating thing I’ve ever seen in sports. Onward and upward.

I know your time here. It just fucking sucks right now.  Young made plays when he had to. I'm gruntled by the progress and effort but GODDAMMIT IT WAS THERE.

• Hook 'Em 1

Broken my collar bone 3 times.   Not sure that 'spraining it' was an option.   I'm obviously hoping for the best.  Back when I was doing  that, I would not have been walking around casually that way..they put a hella "brace" around my neck and under my arms and walking around cazsh in a golf shirt would not have been an option.    I'm sure medical science has evolved quite a bit, but if he broke that thing, he's going to have a hard time sneezing or taking a shit or a shower, let alone playing a football game for a while. 

I'm obviously hoping it's not that.   I'm encouraged from my own experience watching him on the side lines not having a hard time taking steps with his shoulder's strapped back like scarecrow.

Proud of this team today and no, that does not mean that I 'like losing'.   We look WAY better on defense and on the OL than I had thought and that's progress and I'm POSITIVE the recruits we invited LOVED what they saw.

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

It hasn't been talked about much but our one big weakness today was the running game. Bijan was getting contact at the LOS every time. Sark's offense works so much better with a running game threat.

Yep but that is coming, our good OL are young. They didn't get a push but they held their own today.

I’m here to eat my words. You got me@Wulaw Horn

I called an ass kicking. If you’d have told me that Ewers would get hurt in the first quarter, and Bama would have to kick a game winning goal to win, let alone to hit 20, I’d have confidently bet everything I have against that. Hell of an effort by Texas. Just tip the cap and move on, hard as that may be in the moment.

Only real gripe is that Texas was 0-3 on fourth down calls. Should have gone for it at the end of the first half and the first two second half FGs.

Let’s hope Ewers is okay and they build on this effort. Enjoy the rest of the day and be safe.

I don’t like the 3rd down call at the end of the half, but I was fine with going for fg at end of half . Points were hard to come by. Just wish we had made it.

Or gotten the safety

Or had the numerous pi calls get called

Or had that face mask called

Or had watts make that sack
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

IMO, sark was softening up their defense with Quinn chunking it around so that the run game could then attack. It was working successfully, but the injury to Quinn threw a wrench into the equation before the ability to attack via run was able to occur

• Like 1

Refs were horribad. Total screwjob. 

if Ewers is out for any significant period of time, it will be extremely disappointing and we’d have to hit the reset button in terms of our expectations re: W/L record. Card was “solid” but he does not have the tools to put pressure on opposing defenses. 

Both lines were really quite good. I’d like to have seen more from the running game but Bama knew exactly what to do after they did the dirty to Ewers. 

Bijan has to be frustrated and hopefully he uses it as fuel to ball out the rest of the year. 

• Hook 'Em 4