Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers

Zeus

16 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I'm telling y'all, Maalik's going to go off for about 400 yards, the Texas offense is going to explode (it's due), and Sunday this board will be melting down about how Sark's clearly an idiot for not starting Maalik over Quinn.

It is written.

Would be a wonderful issue to develop

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

The usual suspects will start burning the game thread to the ground if/when he throws two incomplete passes in a row.  

Will Greenspoint call "ballgame"?

Edited by Zeus

They are trying to affect the field side safety circled below. It's an RPO.
  If you watch the play again watch Worthy. Guy is pressing him but with inside leverage. Worthy, with a couple moves, immediately wins getting an inside release, solid route stem, and wins on the break.

I appreciate the time, effort and explanation. Genuinely.

I’d like to hear Ewers thought process.

I’m from a poor era of coaching but played a little QB. Some read option. That’s why I bring up the point about opening up opposite of where he wants to go with the ball. If you’re telling me he’s looking backside for the read, that is a more difficult read. It also takes longer to throw it because his hips and shoulders have to turn all the way back around. For those reasons, I don’t like it.

Then Ewers actually has time to throw it and is ready to throw it but decides otherwise. I don’t think it was Mitchell’s route but could have been. I don’t think it was the edge rusher but maybe. I lean towards the safety that crept up some but never fully committed. So that’s another point from my experiences is that by reading backside you often don’t have as a good a fake because the ball isn’t as well seated because that shoulder is a bit more open. It’s just not quite as natural.

I don’t pay incredibly close attention to the detail, but I’d be interested to see how many of those we look backside. In retrospect the run would have left us better off but also brings about curiosity about the pre-snap thought process from Ewers.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I appreciate the time, effort and explanation. Genuinely.

I’d like to hear Ewers thought process.

I’m from a poor era of coaching but played a little QB. Some read option. That’s why I bring up the point about opening up opposite of where he wants to go with the ball. If you’re telling me he’s looking backside for the read, that is a more difficult read. It also takes longer to throw it because his hips and shoulders have to turn all the way back around. For those reasons, I don’t like it.

Then Ewers actually has time to throw it and is ready to throw it but decides otherwise. I don’t think it was Mitchell’s route but could have been. I don’t think it was the edge rusher but maybe. I lean towards the safety that crept up some but never fully committed. So that’s another point from my experiences is that by reading backside you often don’t have as a good a fake because the ball isn’t as well seated because that shoulder is a bit more open. It’s just not quite as natural.

I don’t pay incredibly close attention to the detail, but I’d be interested to see how many of those we look backside. In retrospect the run would have left us better off but also brings about curiosity about the pre-snap thought process from Ewers.

I think Sark wants Ewers to look exactly the same as if he is handing off on any other play. I think running RPOs opposite the direction of his feet is intentional as not to tip a DC to teach Quinn's direction at handoff means that's the side an RPO would be going to. I mean, we are all just spitballing here but that's what I think is going on. I am looking at the route concepts there as a tell. AD is running a deep dig that seems to be perfectly timed up with the timing of the fake handoff and turn. AD doesn't stem his route into the DB to get him to feel threatened, which allows him to sit on the break. Same shit he did on the pick earlier in the game. Ewers could very well be looking at the man you are talking about but because that's his read on whether to hand off or not I thought he wasn't. Its fun to dig into. What era were you playing football?

I think Sark wants Ewers to look exactly the same as if he is handing off on any other play. I think running RPOs opposite the direction of his feet is intentional as not to tip a DC to teach Quinn's direction at handoff means that's the side an RPO would be going to. I mean, we are all just spitballing here but that's what I think is going on. I am looking at the route concepts there as a tell. AD is running a deep dig that seems to be perfectly timed up with the timing of the fake handoff and turn. AD doesn't stem his route into the DB to get him to feel threatened, which allows him to sit on the break. Same shit he did on the pick earlier in the game. Ewers could very well be looking at the man you are talking about but because that's his read on whether to hand off or not I thought he wasn't. Its fun to dig into. What era were you playing football?

Late 80s/early 90s. That was just high school though so I’m not trying to over play it. Although I know what the hell I am talking about just like everyone else. I was about 3-5 years too early for the good stuff to start taking hold. Now I’m just a bitter, old guy.

On 10/25/2023 at 11:39 AM, Noozak said:

Quinn has a 78% completion rate against conference opponents, and that number stays above 70% for the whole season. He has 13 passing tds and only 3 interceptions on the season. What the hell about that is not impressive? 

The 13 passing touchdowns in this offense that's designed to maximize passing touchdowns. The horrible red zone conversion rate that I believe is last or nearly last in the big 12 that includes some bad teams and bad offenses. 

Of course they'll go back to Quinn when he's able to play but he's been solid this year and in my opinion far from impressive. If he ever figures out how to be impressive it sadly will be in the NFL and not here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

The 13 passing touchdowns in this offense that's designed to maximize passing touchdowns. The horrible red zone conversion rate that I believe is last or nearly last in the big 12 that includes some bad teams and bad offenses. 

Of course they'll go back to Quinn when he's able to play but he's been solid this year and in my opinion far from impressive. If he ever figures out how to be impressive it sadly will be in the NFL and not here. 

We've seen this offense now for 3 years and you still think it's designed to maximize passing touchdowns?  

• Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Late 80s/early 90s. That was just high school though so I’m not trying to over play it. Although I know what the hell I am talking about just like everyone else. I was about 3-5 years too early for the good stuff to start taking hold. Now I’m just a bitter, old guy.

Yeah. To be truthful this shit was illegal when we played. There were no RPOs. If you read run at the LOS it was run. You just had to read the blocks. Nowadays you are wrong no matter what you read because they are going to do the opposite. Linemen 3-4 yards downfield and they are throwing the ball. Blasphemy!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

We are currently 14/28 for touchdowns in the RZ for a rate of 50%. 9 rushing and 5 passing. 10 of our other trips ended in FGs. 

In the Big 12, that ranks us only higher than TCU, Baylor, and Cincinnati. Which is not good. That said - "RZ Trips that End on TDs" is not the only metric by which one measures an offense. It's frustrating to come away with a FG, but those are still points, and our scoring percentage is good relative to the rest of the league. We also have the hardest SOS in the league, so our numbers, though poor, have been generated against tougher competition. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Noozak said:

We've seen this offense now for 3 years and you still think it's designed to maximize passing touchdowns?  

It is. Sark runs all the inside zone stuff to set up his vertical passing attack to get TDs. Mac Jones went for 41 TD and 4 picks in it in 2020. Tua went for 33 TD and 3 picks in only 9 games in it in 2019. The offense is designed to get the QB one on one looks vertically for TDs

5 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

We are currently 14/28 for touchdowns in the RZ for a rate of 50%. 9 rushing and 5 passing. 10 of our other trips ended in FGs. 

In the Big 12, that ranks us only higher than TCU, Baylor, and Cincinnati. Which is not good. That said - "RZ Trips that End on TDs" is not the only metric by which one measures an offense. It's frustrating to come away with a FG, but those are still points, and our scoring percentage is good relative to the rest of the league. We also have the hardest SOS in the league, so our numbers, though poor, have been generated against tougher competition. 

No one stat is the only metric to describe offense. I'd say the 2 most important are TD to int ratio and red zone TD percentage. Bump Texas up to 2nd or 3rd in the big 12 in percentage and we're undefeated and really none of the games would have been within 7 pts late. It's a critical part of the game and Quinn and the offense have been poor. That doesn't mean Quinn is having a bad season but it definitely means he isn't having a great or impressive one. Now he's gotten injured again which is the 3rd time he's missed significant time in 4 years of playing football. The only year he didn't miss a lot of time was because he rode the bench as a freshman. 

Edited by Hermanator

6 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

It is. Sark runs all the inside zone stuff to set up his vertical passing attack to get TDs. Mac Jones went for 41 TD and 4 picks in it in 2020. Tua went for 33 TD and 3 picks in only 9 games in it in 2019. The offense is designed to get the QB one on one looks vertically for TDs

Thats IF you can run the football. If you can't then they run the 3-3-5 flyover.

4 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I would be curious to see how many SEC defenses were playing a flyover defense every single week. Maybe not many because bama was able to run on people whenever they wanted. While at Texas sarks offense has been all about efficiency because we can't do that. Our passing and rushing production has been pretty close to a 50/50 split every year. It's also a big reason why Quinn has such a high completion percentage. He's elite at throwing the ball to any location on the field so it's really easy for us to exploit zone coverages and take check downs for 3-4 yard gains. Even this year Sark has been content to hold on to the ball and chew clock. He's not really shown any desire to sling the ball around like that as a head coach otherwise we would be scoring more than 40 points 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

those offenses were ridiculous. Top 5 in receptions in 2019:  DaVonte Smith, Jeudy, Ruggs, Waddle, and Najee Harris. I believe all of them went 1st round in the draft.  That is arguably the most talented offense in CFB the last 20 years or so. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Noozak said:

I would be curious to see how many SEC defenses were playing a flyover defense every single week. Maybe not many because bama was able to run on people whenever they wanted. While at Texas sarks offense has been all about efficiency because we can't do that. Our passing and rushing production has been pretty close to a 50/50 split every year. It's also a big reason why Quinn has such a high completion percentage. He's elite at throwing the ball to any location on the field so it's really easy for us to exploit zone coverages and take check downs for 3-4 yard gains. Even this year Sark has been content to hold on to the ball and chew clock. He's not really shown any desire to sling the ball around like that as a head coach otherwise we would be scoring more than 40 points 

Houston ran that defense in the first quarter almost extensively and Texas put up a quick 21 on it. They did it by playing heavy with a 12 personnel package with Agbo as the extra TE. That forces the defense to declare early and doesn't allow them to sit 3 back. Then for some stupid reason Sark and Quinn went away from it and didn't really get back to it until Quinn went out and they needed to run with Maalik in.

For as good of an offensive mind as Sark is he has a bad habit of outsmarting himself a lot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

those offenses were ridiculous. Top 5 in receptions in 2019:  DaVonte Smith, Jeudy, Ruggs, Waddle, and Najee Harris. I believe all of them went 1st round in the draft.  That is arguably the most talented offense in CFB the last 20 years or so. 

Yeah a lot of talent but again the whole conversation was what's Sark's offense designed to do. It's designed to get receivers vertical for TDs. It's not an offense that emphasizes the run like Briles' one does. It uses the run to stress the defense into not being able to handle the pass. This offense in 2023 has shown flashes but hasn't been very good at it for most of the quarters we've played this year, and that's with Johnathan Brooks being a mid season All American RB. 

Edited by Hermanator

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

Houston ran that defense in the first quarter almost extensively and Texas put up a quick 21 on it. They did it by playing heavy with a 12 personnel package with Agbo as the extra TE. That forces the defense to declare early and doesn't allow them to sit 3 back. Then for some stupid reason Sark and Quinn went away from it and didn't really get back to it until Quinn went out and they needed to run with Maalik in.

For as good of an offensive mind as Sark is he has a bad habit of outsmarting himself a lot. 

This is wrong. Houston was in the 3-3-5 but not the flyover-bracket coverage. They switched to the 3 high look once we lit them up. From that point on they kept 3 safeties deep at all costs. I outlined it in a post awhile back. This is what their alignment looked like when we hit Worthy on the deep ball. Single high safety with 8 in the box to handle the run.

Worthy1.thumb.png.8e8c66a3cc517a8ff48c75234bc486ce.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Hermanator said:

Yeah a lot of talent but again the whole conversation was what's Sark's offense designed to do. It's designed to get receivers vertical for TDs. It's not an offense that emphasizes the run like Briles' one does. It uses the run to stress the defense into not being able to handle the pass. This offense in 2023 has shown flashes but hasn't been very good at it for most of the quarters we've played this year. 

Just saying that example is kind of extreme. I believe Mac Jones offense set a scoring record. Scored 48.5 pts per game in 2020 and 47.2 in 2019. Comparing those offenses to anyone is just apples to oranges

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

This is wrong. Houston was in the 3-3-5 but not the flyover-bracket coverage. They switched to the 3 high look once we lit them up. From that point on they kept 3 safeties deep at all costs. I outlined it in a post awhile back. This is what their alignment looked like when we hit Worthy on the deep ball. Single high safety with 8 in the box to handle the run.

Worthy1.thumb.png.8e8c66a3cc517a8ff48c75234bc486ce.png

It's not wrong. That's exactly what I was saying. Look at the offensive alignment. 12 personnel with Agbo as the extra lineman. That jumbo look forced Houston, who was in the 3-3-5, to declare early pre-snap and keep the extra DBs within 6 yds of the line. That's how Sark attacked it early then he went away from it. When Sark went back to the 11 personnel looks he uses mostly the 3-3-5 morphed back. 

Edited by Hermanator

7 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

In order to get MM comfortable. T the first  play from scrimmage has to be a deep ball to worthy for a td 

I could honestly see this happening. Everyone, including BYU, is expecting Sark to come out with a run-heavy to protect MM in his first start. I'd love to see him draw up a cool play-action deep ball for the first play.  

• Hook 'Em 1

If someone told you Texas has an all-american/heisman candidate at RB, its best WR corp ever, an all-world prospect at QB starting his second year, and an offensive genius calling plays….

would you expect its points per game to be outside the top 25?

6 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Just saying that example is kind of extreme. I believe Mac Jones offense set a scoring record. Scored 48.5 pts per game in 2020 and 47.2 in 2019. Comparing those offenses to anyone is just apples to oranges

It's the perfect example to use because that's what Sark's offense is supposed to look like at it's most dynamic. That's the blueprint. He doesn't have the same talent to be that explosive here but then again he's playing against far lesser talented teams other than 2023 Alabama than what he ran through in the SEC those 2 years. But at it's core that offense is designed to get the QB passing touchdowns. 

Just now, Hermanator said:

It's the perfect example to use because that's what Sark's offense is supposed to look like at it's most dynamic. That's the blueprint. He doesn't have the same talent to be that explosive here but then again he's playing against far lesser talented teams other than 2023 Alabama than what he ran through in the SEC those 2 years. But at it's core that offense is designed to get the QB passing touchdowns. 

Any offense with tht talent would put up pts. This was not  scheme thing, this was a jimmy and joes thing. 

24 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

The RZ struggles are a valid criticism for Quinn.

Takes a lot more analysis than that. Three non touchdown trips were stone cold drops by receivers. At least one other one was three runs in a row so nothing to do with the QB. That's already a 14% higher red zone TD rate that has nothing to do with Ewers before a full analysis is even necessary. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

It's not wrong. That's exactly what I was saying. Look at the offensive alignment. 12 personnel with Agbo as the extra lineman. That jumbo look forced Houston, who was in the 3-3-5, to declare early pre-snap and keep the extra DBs within 6 yds of the line. That's how Sark attacked it early then he went away from it. When Sark went back to the 11 personnel looks he uses mostly the 3-3-5 morphed back. 

Not true sir. Look at the score in this still. This is 12 personnel and they have 3 high safeties. Like I said, they made the switch after we lit them up in the 1st. No matter what personnel we trotted out they kept men deep.

Screenshot(463).thumb.png.056d9624f8bb2a045ed6d4e9f072dc7d.png

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Not true sir. Look at the score in this still. This is 12 personnel and they have 3 high safeties. Like I said, they made the switch after we lit them up in the 1st. No matter what personnel we trotted out they kept men deep.

Screenshot(463).thumb.png.056d9624f8bb2a045ed6d4e9f072dc7d.png

How many instances of 12 personnel with Agbo as the extra lineman did they run after the offense scored 21 points? I don't remember seeing much at all, so I'm guessing a handful of plays and that's it. The play should have been to keep using that look and do a combination of running and horizontal quick game against it. Look at the cushion to the receiver. Even if the DB is playing head up or inside leverage and sitting that's an easy 5-7 yds.  

If we couldn't take advantage of that look with that personnel package then we have far bigger problems on offense than we thought. 

Edited by Hermanator

11 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Takes a lot more analysis than that. Three non touchdown trips were stone cold drops by receivers. At least one other one was three runs in a row so nothing to do with the QB. That's already a 14% higher red zone TD rate that has nothing to do with Ewers before a full analysis is even necessary. 

Other teams drop passes also.  Are we sure we are dropping more than others?  Wasn't at least one of those drops from a pass outside the RZ?

3 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

How many instances of 12 personnel with Agbo as the extra lineman did they run after the offense scored 21 points? I don't remember seeing much at all, so I'm guessing a handful of plays and that's it. The play should have been to keep using that look and do a combination of running and horizontal quick game against it. Look at the cushion to the receiver. Even if the DB is playing head up or inside leverage and sitting that's an easy 5-7 yds.  

If we couldn't take advantage of that look with that personnel package then we have far bigger problems on offense than we thought. 

Herm, the point is they changed what they were doing. They were no longer going to allow us to get vertical on them. Period. In this still UH got caught bailing out to a 3 deep shell, which left them light in the box. Baxter, who is a little more deliberate in his running, hit the hole hard and scored easily. This is what you are supposed to do vs the 3 high look. Run downhill on them. I agree with you on one thing. If you have a DB playing that far off you take the easy throw. This is one of the reasons Sark's offense struggles against the 3 high look. His routes are always moving so you are throwing into someone waiting on you. If they had sight adjustments where they just adjusted to a curl there we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Screenshot(464).thumb.png.b5f02c98093199bf3d66d7893a9c3b9e.png

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

Herm, the point is they changed what they were doing. They were no longer going to allow us to get vertical on them. Period. In this still UH got caught bailing out to a 3 deep shell, which left them light in the box. Baxter, who is a little more deliberate in his running, hit the hole hard and scored easily. This is what you are supposed to do vs the 3 high look. Run downhill on them. I agree with you on one thing. If you have a DB playing that far off you take the easy throw. This is one of the reasons Sark's offense struggles against the 3 high look. His routes are always moving so you are throwing into someone waiting on you. If they had sight adjustments where they just adjusted to a curl there we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Screenshot(464).thumb.png.b5f02c98093199bf3d66d7893a9c3b9e.png

Of course they changed what they were doing. They got torched for 21 on the first quarter. My point was if they going to adjust to keeping 3 back then Sark/Quinn still have the advantage against them in the same heavy 12 personnel package they were using. You have to run on them and use the quick game to move down the field. It can't get much easier on a line and QB than that. Either Sark gets jumpy and out smarts himself, Quinn is poor at properly reading the defense pre-snap, or (most likely) both. 

The problem is this has happened repeatedly in multiple games this year and they haven't fixed it. I don't know if that's more about Sark or about Quinn but I'd put my money on it's more of a problem with Quinn. By your third year in college you gotta be able to make the sight adjustments and be on the same page as your receivers as a QB at this level. 

24 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Other teams drop passes also.  Are we sure we are dropping more than others?  Wasn't at least one of those drops from a pass outside the RZ?

Biggest issues in the red zone is the lack of a power running game. Generally, teams have played safeties back to take away the explosive passing play. Texas has run the ball well, but usually vs favorable box numbers. That changes when the space gets limited. I think Texas may have had a short yardage issue more than a Redzone issue, though Reed seems to fixing that

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Of course they changed what they were doing. They got torched for 21 on the first quarter. My point was if they going to adjust to keeping 3 back then Sark/Quinn still have the advantage against them in the same heavy 12 personnel package they were using. You have to run on them and use the quick game to move down the field. It can't get much easier on a line and QB than that. Either Sark gets jumpy and out smarts himself, Quinn is poor at properly reading the defense pre-snap, or (most likely) both. 

The problem is this has happened repeatedly in multiple games this year and they haven't fixed it. I don't know if that's more about Sark or about Quinn but I'd put my money on it's more of a problem with Quinn. By your third year in college you gotta be able to make the sight adjustments and be on the same page as your receivers as a QB at this level. 

How is not being able to run on a team when you are in 12 personnel on the QB when the defense is keeping safeties back? I am confused here. That's on the O-line, the running backs, and the coaches. Quinn is doing his job. Anytime they play balanced or heavy vs the run he lights up the scoreboard. Expecting him to do the same against dropping 8 is a little much.

This is too complicated a conversation to have over forum text. You aren't understanding what I'm saying, and it's not that Quinn should be beating that look deep. 

I'd need to know 1) how many heavy 12 personnel package plays did they run where Houston was in a 3 deep look that didn't adjust for the run and 2) what were the outcomes of those plays.

I'm under the impression they didn't run many and mostly let them off the hook. If this Texas offensive line and running back talent couldn't run on that look consistently there's major problems in the running game and changes need to be made on the line. That's a dream look for 6 lineman to run block against. 

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

The RZ struggles are a valid criticism for Quinn.

They are also a valid criticism of the team as a whole. It is a team sport and it only takes one or two not doing their job correctly to foil a play. As good as he has played this season, for instance, Brooks could have made it in the endzone against OU on a play running behind Murphy and Sweat if he'd just followed Sweat as intended, but he hesitated and looked left to a gap that was opening left of center that was immediately filled by Sooners. His hesitance looking for alternate holes to develop often yields great results, but in this case it doomed the play. It's a game of fractions of a second and inches at times, especially at the goal line.

The interior OL is a weakness and having Majors go down with Hutson already out thrust Robertson into the fire. Majors played at less than 100% against Houston, and Hutson was still out. Hopefully Majors is much better tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

They are also a valid criticism of the team as a whole. It is a team sport and it only takes one or two not doing their job correctly to foil a play. As good as he has played this season, for instance, Brooks could have made it in the endzone against OU on a play running behind Murphy and Sweat if he'd just followed Sweat as intended, but he hesitated and looked left to a gap that was opening left of center that was immediately filled by Sooners. His hesitance looking for alternate holes to develop often yields great results, but in this case it doomed the play. It's a game of fractions of a second and inches at times, especially at the goal line.

The interior OL is a weakness and having Majors go down with Hutson already out thrust Robertson into the fire. Majors played at less than 100% against Houston, and Hutson was still out. Hopefully Majors is much better tomorrow.

This is also true as well.

But elite QB play can sure fix a lot of red zone issues.  VY and Colt were assassins in the RZ.  Right now, I think Quinn is playing elite between the 20s and less than elite in the RZ.  It is something he can improve on.

• Hook 'Em 1

In order to get MM comfortable. T the first  play from scrimmage has to be a deep ball to worthy for a td 
wouldn’t put it past Sark.
I could honestly see this happening. Everyone, including BYU, is expecting Sark to come out with a run-heavy to protect MM in his first start. I'd love to see him draw up a cool play-action deep ball for the first play.  

Maybe a flea flicker. Let him throw a football over them mountains.
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers