Game Week- Texas Tech

Wulaw Horn

If I’m the Tech DC I’m telling my DBs to hang all over/tackle our receivers before the ball is even in the air.  If he watched the Bama tape it’s obvious that the B12 refs aren’t calling pass interference so why not do it.  Oh and they shouldn’t worry about being called for obvious face masks.  If I’m the Tech coach I’m telling my guys commit any and all penalties to win and make the refs call them.  This is their best chance to come away with a victory.  

Edited by stork642
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 3

3 minutes ago, stork642 said:

If I’m the Tech DC I’m telling my DBs to hang all over/tackle our receivers before the ball is even in the air.  If he watched the Bama tape it’s obvious that the B12 refs aren’t calling pass interference so why not do it.  Oh and they shouldn’t worry about being called for obvious face masks.  If I’m the Tech coach I’m telling my guys commit any and all penalties to win and make the refs call them.  This is their best chance to come away with a victory.  

"They can't call everything" is a surprisingly sound strategy that Bama executed to perfection.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 3

53 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I’m going to be a Card optimist by pointing out he hasn’t really played any disasterous  games during the day. His worst performances were @ Arkansas at night time, and then the home night game against Kansas. All things considered, he was solid against Bama ( no turnovers), looked great against ULL last season….all day games. I’m thankful the game in Lubbock is a day game, so even with the hostile crowd, maybe he won’t be as rattled. Maybe It’s a stretch to think this way but fuck it 

You might be onto something. Maybe Card is scared of the dark?

4 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

Texas / Texaco - an iconic brand that everyone associates with the Lone Star State
Texas A&M / Bucee's - surprisingly large for something in the middle of nowhere
Texas Tech / Allsup's - people from West Texas know what it is

Allsups fried green chili burritos are delicious. Risky, but delicious.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd like to see Sanders get some in the middle of the field, catch in stride, and truck several Tech wimps on the way to 6.  Not satisfied with his scheme so far of sideline routes.  He needs to be fed well in areas where he can dominate. 

Our #6 DB Watts, the Ohio State transfer, was picked on relentlessly and successfully by UTSA. If he continues to be subpar, put in someone else. He's a weak link. 

Texas is going to smash Tech by 28+. 

• Hook 'Em 3

19 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

huh? Sark gave him open deep shots with a clean pocket or easy short throws all game. Card just isn’t very good. He was missing wide open receivers a lot vs. UTSA because he drops his eyes to the pass rush way too early. There’s not really a game plan that fits Card other than don’t ask him to do much and try to lean on the run game. If his ankle’s better, we could mix in a bit of read option to try to open things up a bit. 

To be fair Ewers has missed some deep passes this year with a clean pocket too.

Card is completely capable of beating Tech with the right game plan which I am sure Sark has drawn up.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

The difference is you're talking a kid who hasn't played in two years, the last time being in HS, and a 3rd year guy who started at UT last year. Let's not kid ourselves, Ewers is far more capable of hitting those shots than Card. It's not a debate. 

• Hook 'Em 6

9 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

I'd like to see Sanders get some in the middle of the field, catch in stride, and truck several Tech wimps on the way to 6.  Not satisfied with his scheme so far of sideline routes.  He needs to be fed well in areas where he can dominate. 

Our #6 DB Watts, the Ohio State transfer, was picked on relentlessly and successfully by UTSA. If he continues to be subpar, put in someone else. He's a weak link. 

Texas is going to smash Tech by 28+. 

He needs to be careful or the B12 refs will call him for targeting a defenseless defender.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Card is completely capable of beating Tech with the right game plan which I am sure Sark has drawn up.

Card should be able to beat Tech with any game plan.  Why are we scared of Tech?  This is getting out of hand; we need to sack up and walk into Lubbock like we own the place....because we do 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Yeah, against ULM, his first meaningful snaps at the college level after having not played in two years.  The kid looked to be a completely different QB in the first quarter against Alabama after having a game under his belt.

This is why we need Ewers back for West Virginia so he can tune up for OU.

• Hook 'Em 4

16 hours ago, stork642 said:

Tim DeRuyter is known for coaching dirty defenses anyway so absolutely nothing would surprise me

10 minutes ago, TexTexTex said:

Why are we scared of Tech?  This is getting out of hand; we need to sack up and walk into Lubbock like we own the place....because we do 

We need to remind ourselves of this.  Yes, we lost heartbreakers in Lubbock that had conference and national championship implications in 2002 and 2008, and I guess some folks are still traumatized by that and think that somehow we just don't do well on the road against Tech.  History says otherwise, even when we don't have a QB like Vince, Colt, or Sam at the helm.

• Hook 'Em 1

IT with a few team notes

Spoiler

The UTSA game offered the program plenty to work on this week, while the awaiting Tech game forces the need for some tweaks in scheme, mainly on defense. That’s how you get a comment like the one below from Steve Sarkisian. 

Sarkisian: “I loved the way we practiced Wednesday and today. I thought we looked fast. I thought we looked really intentional in everything we were doing. I thought the spirit and energy was high, so all those things were positive. Monday and Tuesday, we were really trying to understand the gameplan. You could feel the guys almost thinking through it, but Wednesday and Thursday they felt fast, they felt energized, and it felt really good to me.”

Tackling was a big issue early in the game against UTSA. The defense focused on that a lot this week. It’s not just the tackling itself, but pursuit and playing with correct leverage. Tackling will be something to watch, especially with a team that goes five-wide so often with some big, physical receivers. 

Tech running five-wide also means the defense will need to play an extra defensive back at times. We’ll let it remain a mystery how they address that, but there are a few options at the staff’s disposal, both schematically and from a personnel standpoint. 

While Texas fans are focused on who is starting for their team at quarterback, the Texas defense prepared for both Donovan Smith and Behren Morton. Morton replaced Smith late in the North Carolina State game. He’s even less experienced than Smith but profiles better to the offense and couldn’t be worse at taking care of the ball.

Quinn Ewers looked good throwing the ball this week but word is he’s still experiencing some discomfort. Hudson Card is still receiving treatment on his ankle. These guys are healing but still not 100%. 

This is a big week for the Texas O-line. That’s a hungry group that didn’t feel like it got off to a good start this past week. That’s a team-wide feeling, but the O-line specifically took issue with their lack of urgency early on. The goal is to jump out quick and help the offense establish a rhythm. 

The approach on offense will likely be similar to last week. Run the thoroughbred and workhorse and get the ball in space.

We say it every week, but this is a hungry team with a lot of goals, not just for the season but for each game. The feeling is the slow start last week was a wakeup call to play with the energy and urgency they did two weeks ago. They are excited to play in front of a raucous crowd on the road, and simulated that noise to the best of their ability this week while practicing in the bubble. (no tortillas were harmed)

We know the team’s intensity will be there. They key will be whether or not they pack ‘focus’ for the flight to Lubbock later this afternoon.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, TexTexTex said:

Why are we scared of Tech? 

Because the last three trips to Lubbock have been:

1. A last second INT to avoid overtime.

2. A last minute touchdown after blowing a 17 point lead.

3. A 15 point comeback in the final 3ish minutes to force overtime that included an onside kick and a two point conversion.

Texas has not comfortably beaten Tech in Lubbock since 2014, and that win was largely because Mahomes was knocked out early in the game. None of the other trips to Lubbock since 2008 have been victories of more than 10 points.

• Hook 'Em 1