Game Week- Texas Tech

Wulaw Horn

13 minutes ago, CoTex said:

Can we agree that the shift where Card ends up out wide isn't really fixing anything or confusing anyone?  He's got a bad ankle and they ain't gonna throw it over there.  Oh, and when Ewers is better, we damned sure aren't sending him down field to catch a pass.  Why not just walk Card off the field and let Roschon throw one every once and a while to keep the defense on their toes?  Or put some speedster in at receiver and give us some additional reverse options?  Card, you're ok, but go sit this one out.

Might have more to do with personnel packages by the defense.  With Card out there, the defense might be in a Nickel package.  If card runs off of the field and another tight-end runs onto the field, the defense takes a DB off the field and throws a linebacker out there.  Haven’t watched the film close enough to know for sure, but that probably plays into it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

22 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Card is better than more than 2/3rds of FBS level starters, he is just not an elite level QB. Put him in a simple 1 or two read offense and I am sure he can be a quality starter for a bunch of teams.

spacer.png

My gut feeling is in just about every game he has played for Texas, I'd rather have our opponent's starting QB or whoever else we had on the roster at the time -- be it Casey Thompson or Ewers.

I do not see it with Card.  He reminds me of Chance Mock or Stephen McGee.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, BarthHollamew said:

Might have more to do with personnel packages by the defense.  With Card out there, the defense might be in a Nickel package.  If card runs off of the field and another tight-end runs onto the field, the defense takes a DB off the field and throws a linebacker out there.  Haven’t watched the film close enough to know for sure, but that probably plays into it. 

Makes sense.  And if you start subbing, they start subbing, we all start subbing.  Anarchy.

• Haha 1

This is the home game Tech fans and players have looked forward to all season.  They are currently 2-1 and their only loss is to the 12th ranked team on the road.  

At their last home game their freakin' fans stormed the field on a win over Cougar High.

I expect Tech to play a lot better on offense against Texas than their first 3 games -- it's their biggest game of the season.

Need a good start by Texas on Saturday.

• Hook 'Em 1

Can we agree that the shift where Card ends up out wide isn't really fixing anything or confusing anyone?  He's got a bad ankle and they ain't gonna throw it over there.  Oh, and when Ewers is better, we damned sure aren't sending him down field to catch a pass.  Why not just walk Card off the field and let Roschon throw one every once and a while to keep the defense on their toes?  Or put some speedster in at receiver and give us some additional reverse options?  Card, you're ok, but go sit this one out.

Tangential, but I wonder if they’d present Card the opportunity to play slot receiver next year. Feels like he could contribute there and they’re going to want to get Arch and Murphy the backup reps in non conference.

1 hour ago, CoTex said:

It is by design, that play/formation doesn't come after a substitution. It comes in a hurry up package, it is planned. It prevents the defense from substituting in a heavy package which gives the offense an advantage. If you substitute Card out, the officials allow the defense to substitute and they do, most likely bringing in a run heavy defense.

2 hours ago, Dignan said:

I just want to apologize to Bijan. I told my son while watching the game: "what is wrong with Bijan?! He keeps falling down on the first touch." Moments later he broke that first long run. Was glad to hear that Sark told him to STOP DANCING. Let's hope he puts together a lot more games like this this season. Also, Tech scares me. 

I had a similar thought after RoJo went beast mode on a few carries. I thought we should give RoJo more carries because he just wanted it more. Then Bijan went off.

Texas will go heavy jumbo with Bijan/Rojo combining for 250 yards rushing.

My main concern about the game is the 2.30pm start (which is good) but the damn Missou-Auburn game on ESPN starts at 11.00am and will overlap our start time. Harsin needs to run the ball all day and end the game quick . 

20 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I still think UTSA's oline struggled. 

Texas had like 32 pressures. Frank Harris is just really good. 

it's rare to see a lefty QB , maybe that threw off (pun!) the defense a little.  Looking at all the garbage QBs in the NFL (especially Texans), hope the Harris guy gets a UDFA look from the league. 

1 hour ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Texas will go heavy jumbo with Bijan/Rojo combining for 250 yards rushing.

My main concern about the game is the 2.30pm start (which is good) but the damn Missou-Auburn game on ESPN starts at 11.00am and will overlap our start time. Harsin needs to run the ball all day and end the game quick . 

fuck mizoo and aub.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, yoladu said:

i am guessing Card starts against Tech, Ewers suits up, and is waiting in the wings if things get dicey.

Sark is probably truly hoping we don't "need" Ewers until OU.

No.

If he's healthy enough to be waiting in the wings to save the day but isn't starting, our coaches are beyond stupid.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, yoladu said:

i am guessing Card starts against Tech, Ewers suits up, and is waiting in the wings if things get dicey.

Sark is probably truly hoping we don't "need" Ewers until OU.

Hell no. IF he is cleared and is not in risk of re-injuring himself, he has to play. He only has 4 quarters of experience playing college football. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, CoTex said:

I haven't watched Tech's qb at all but I know in my soul that UTSA's guy was way more elusive.  He should have been sacked about 5 more times.  That TT dude better get to that check down quickly or he'll have stormtrooper white all over his ass.  

UTSA qb is better than either of the available Tech qb's sure.  But Texas Tech is also not down their top 4 OT's.

14 minutes ago, texifornia said:

This shit is so fucking dumb. Let them do horns down or us do guns down, just not in another player's face.

Oh the irony.  Maybe someone should teach Joey the history behind the controversy before he makes himself look like an idiot in public.